As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

East 2015 Q&A Thread

• PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular
    Soulair wrote: »
    How good are Console Tournaments/Console Free Play ?

Console freeplay is a great place to try out games you have been on the fence about. Example, this recent Prime I tried out Diablo 3 for PS4. I was on the fence since I wasn't sure about how it'd be on console. I was pleasantly surprised and will be getting it now. So console freeplay is great for that reason and is a good place to spend time if there is nothing on your schedule at the moment. Classic console is great, especially East's. A lot of classic games are there and a great chance to try out older games that you might not get to try anywhere else. I got to play some old Turbo Grafx 16 games that I immediately wanted to add to my collection. Blazing Lazers is an example, if I didn't play it at PAX I wouldn't have known about it. Now I have it in my collection and I really enjoy it.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    for general help and advice that's not pax related, there's a help and advice section of the forums

• VGVideoGalaxyVGVideoGalaxy Northern VirginiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    rascrush wrote: »
    hey so this may not be the best place for this and if it is not sorry. I am looking to buy plane tickets for a vaca i am taking soon and I figured since a lot of pax people take a plane maybe would be a good place to ask. Is there a sit you use to get the best deal on a plane flight. Also how far in advance do you buy it. Is there a certain site to watch flight prices going up and down. And is there a certain day you try and get you tickets on for the best price

Kayak is your best bet. The earlier you buy plane tickets the better because you never know when they will start jacking up the prices as the event gets closer. Southwest Airlines also has good deals, but they are not found on Kayak so you would have to search Southwest separately.

VGVideoGalaxy on
  • SleepdepSleepdep Registered User regular
    Last year tickets went on sale in October. This years Pax is over a month earlier than last years. So tickets should be on sale around now... but this place is a ghost town... am I missing something? Has Pax south thrown a monkey wrench in the Process?

• krystlemethkrystlemeth VirginiaRegistered User regular
    Sleepdep wrote: »
    Last year tickets went on sale in October. This years Pax is over a month earlier than last years. So tickets should be on sale around now... but this place is a ghost town... am I missing something? Has Pax south thrown a monkey wrench in the Process?

According to the Twitter, no announcements concerning PAX East will be made until PAX AUS is over (Nov 2nd), so... yeah, we have a while to go.

Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    fs.png
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular

In my experience anytime you start thinking something "should" happen regarding PAXen, is when something changes. Patience and Vigilance and the words of the day.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular

According to the Twitter, no announcements concerning PAX East will be made until PAX AUS is over (Nov 2nd), so... yeah, we have a while to go.

The wait is killing me. Coupled with the fact that we are taking a family vacation to Disney that will be ending the (supposed) Thursday before PAX I may be flying from Jersey to Orlando to Boston then home to Jersey.

Quite the jetsetter PAX is making me.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    I had a few questions for the Enforcers about joining the ranks.

First, is it correct that you get a free pass for PAX if you are accepted? If you've already purchased a pass do you get reimbursed at all?

Also, how picky are they when it comes to new applicants? Is it an absolute must to be there for multiple days before or after the show?

I've thought about joining since my first PAX a couple of years ago and I decided this year I'd apply for either East, South, or both if possible. I wasn't sure if missing out on badges for East would kill the chances and I already bought badges for South. At the same time, I don't want to miss out on badges to East because I was expecting to be accepted.

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Your Enforcer badge counts as a 3 day badge when you are off-duty. If you already bought a badge, you are free to resell it (and there will be plenty of Enforcers who are looking for extras).

I couldn't tell you how picky they are, but people do get rejected. Just because you apply doesn't mean you'll get in.

The requirement is that you work your shift Fri/Sat/Sun. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Also, how picky are they when it comes to new applicants?

In addition to what @whypick1 said, treat it as an actual job application and make sure to include any customer service experience is the best advice I can give. Every PAX has a different number of enforcers that are returning, different number of enforcers that are desired (vs needed) to make the show happen, and a different number of applications that are submitted. How picky they are depends on these variables that no one can predict.

Also to be clear, because people get caught in details, #e badge counts for the entire show, 3 day badge for 3 day shows, 4 day badge for 4 day shows.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Question. Do you have to be a US citizen to be an enforcer ?

pax%20sig.png
    The exact requirements should be available on the application when it opens, but I believe that you have to be legally able to work in the US.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    That would be correct. You can look at the Enforcer application for South for the requirements, which are the same for all the US shows.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    If your going for PAX for announcements, you will be extremely disappointed. Maybe if you don't have an internet connection, you might not have heard something, and then the announcements will be new to you. There will be "Newly Released Add-ons" and "Playable Betas and Demos", but a little research ahead of time will save you a big headache. Most game companies announce about a week or two in advance what they are bringing, so you can plan your priorities and see what you want to see. Just keep in mind its like Disney World, line will be long, you don't have the park to yourself, and plan to spend 2 hours in line for the best booths.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    this is true last year I only stood in line for one thing which was the evil within demo that was honestly one of the shorter big lines I guess you could call it and still i was in that line for around a hour to a hour in a half well worth it but still if you plan on trying one of the big games understand you will be in line for a min of 1 hour prob closer to 2 or 3. Luckily for me this was the only real big game that interested me I also played the crew which is a big name game but that was only maybe about a 30 min line

• miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    this is true last year I only stood in line for one thing which was the evil within demo that was honestly one of the shorter big lines I guess you could call it and still i was in that line for around a hour to a hour in a half well worth it but still if you plan on trying one of the big games understand you will be in line for a min of 1 hour prob closer to 2 or 3. Luckily for me this was the only real big game that interested me I also played the crew which is a big name game but that was only maybe about a 30 min line

The only line I remember waiting on was the Hearthstone line, simply for the hearthstone pin. While Blizz's booth seemed crazy it was all for Draenor. I only waited for about 20 minutes. Then again maybe I just got lucky.... Seriously though the lines in expo are insane and unless you're desperate to play a specific game, are totally not worth it

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
    idk seemed like the lines for evolved or borderlands games like that were always long

• InscrutableGamerInscrutableGamer IDLE ACCOUNT Registered User regular
    There will always be super-anticipated games and panels that have extra long lines. Unless you're desperate to see them, hardly worth it to wait (as miker525 put it).

ALSO, DISCLAIMER TO ALL WHO COME AFTER ME LOOKING FOR BADGE-SALE INFORMATION:
    It has been confirmed by both the PAX Twitter account and by emails received by forumers that tickets will not go on sale or even be announced until after PAX Aus wraps up. If you have come here seeking dates or other information, you are out of luck.
    #November3rdHype #RealPaxHype

PAX East 2015: Passes For All Days [X] -- Free Time [X] -- Pass For Girlfriend [X] -- Hype [X]
    PAX EAST 2015 IS A GO!
    when does pax aus wrap up jw

• VGVideoGalaxyVGVideoGalaxy Northern VirginiaRegistered User regular
    when does pax aus wrap up jw

November 2nd

great pax tickets and wrestlemania tickets will be going on sale around the same time sounds like my bank account will be a lil light this month

I'd give them a few days to fly home and recover from PAX and jetlag first.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    To avoid the debacle that I ended up last year, I'm attempting to *deep breath* become more exposed to other social media networks. *shudders* Aside from Twitter, what other channels are good to keep a watch on for ticket announcements?

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    To avoid the debacle that I ended up last year, I'm attempting to *deep breath* become more exposed to other social media networks. *shudders* Aside from Twitter, what other channels are good to keep a watch on for ticket announcements?

Honestly, just the twitter account. Seems to be the only place that is reliable.

Twitter is the only official avenue. Someone might post here or elsewhere a second or two before the tweet happens, usually because they're scanning the showclix api or something, but nothing any better than that.

• EnerjeeEnerjee Registered User new member
    Hey everyone! I was wondering if waiting for the hotel discounts is worth it or if it would be best to just book the hotel now.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Enerjee wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I was wondering if waiting for the hotel discounts is worth it or if it would be best to just book the hotel now.

i suppose part of this depends on where you want to stay. if you're shooting for one of the super-close high-demand hotels, you probably either CAN'T book through the hotel now or, if there is any availability, they will charge you some outrageous rates. pax reserves almost all of the rooms in the closest hotels, so waiting for the block is almost necessary, although it WILL be a mad scramble for the best rooms once they go live.

if you're not so concerned with being super close and any boston hotel will do, feel free to shop around, although it's still possible the pax block will have the best prices.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    I would personally wait but that is just me

• BlazingdragoonBlazingdragoon MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I was curious about the rise in price from last year. A 20 dollar mark up seems like quite a bit for a 3-day pass. Were they just being sold exceptionally cheap the past few years, or are there new costs that have come up? Also are there any perks to offset the rise in cost? Don't get me wrong; 95 is probably still a great deal for what you get (though with any luck the lines could be a bit more mitigated this year) but knowing why the prices have gone up so much would be nice for transparency's sake.

I was curious about the rise in price from last year. A 20 dollar mark up seems like quite a bit for a 3-day pass. Were they just being sold exceptionally cheap the past few years, or are there new costs that have come up? Also are there any perks to offset the rise in cost? Don't get me wrong; 95 is probably still a great deal for what you get (though with any luck the lines could be a bit more mitigated this year) but knowing why the prices have gone up so much would be nice for transparency's sake.

The demand for PAX is growing every year, and this tends to be reflected in the pass prices.
    To be completely honest, I could have sworn three-days were $95 last year, but that may have just been my selectively-crappy memory kicking in.

Assuming they WERE $75 last year, the $20 hike does seem a bit large, especially when the price hikes for individuals was only $5 each. I'm pretty sure it's just from expected high demand.
    Or perhaps they're planning something big and special for this year and are somehow giving us subtle hints about it.....

PAX East 2015: Passes For All Days [X] -- Free Time [X] -- Pass For Girlfriend [X] -- Hype [X]
    PAX EAST 2015 IS A GO!
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    $95... jesus christ that's a hike, I'm pretty sure it was $80-85 last year.

• BlazingdragoonBlazingdragoon MassachusettsRegistered User regular

The demand for PAX is growing every year, and this tends to be reflected in the pass prices.
    To be completely honest, I could have sworn three-days were $95 last year, but that may have just been my selectively-crappy memory kicking in.

Assuming they WERE $75 last year, the $20 hike does seem a bit large, especially when the price hikes for individuals was only $5 each. I'm pretty sure it's just from expected high demand.
    Or perhaps they're planning something big and special for this year and are somehow giving us subtle hints about it.....

Yeah, they were 75 last year. Haha, I know because my bank statement says so from when I was charged. If memory serves individual day passes were only 35 each, so its a 10 dollar hike on those as well, but I didn't purchase any of those, nor attend with anyone that did so I can't confirm that 100%.

Hopefully there's a little something to make up for it, or at least just an explanation for the hike.

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014

Yeah, they were 75 last year. Haha, I know because my bank statement says so from when I was charged. If memory serves individual day passes were only 35 each, so its a 10 dollar hike on those as well, but I didn't purchase any of those, nor attend with anyone that did so I can't confirm that 100%.

Hopefully there's a little something to make up for it, or at least just an explanation for the hike.

Maybe I'm missing something but where are you getting these new numbers from? I've not seen anything about what this year could cost.

Saw the ticket prices listed on the pre-reg page.

TopherRocks on
  • KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    To answer Enerjee, the main reason I book my hotel in advance is I don't want the stress of needing a hotel at the same time I am trying to obtain tickets, and now I want a specific nearby hotel. Obviously if you wait for the PAX block it's going to be noticeably less expensive, but you'll have to settle for whatever is available. One option is reserve a "backup" room somewhere so you have one with a cancellable reservation, and if you get a room in the PAX block that is more suitable, you can always cancel the other reservation. We did that last year and our backup ended up where we stayed, and we loved it (Seaport) and reserved it again this year.

wow 95 that is def a hike that sucks a lil bit lol. Why so much of a jump. Just wondering how much is pax prime tickets

Prime was $35 a day or $110 for the 4 day pass this year.

so that is what about 28 a day there about's so 95 is a lil more then i would expect it to be raised to but not much more something in the 85-90 range would have been closer to what i was thinking

• djlybsdjlybs Slayer of the Datas Boston MetroRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    The problem with east's 3-day last year ($75) was it was cheaper than buying a Fri and Sat 1-day passes ($40 a day). I understand the discount, but make the discount of 3 day $35 instead of $45 less than buying all three days as singles. In any case, I doubt the 3 days will last more than an half hour of availability.

djlybs on
    MvyuK6O.png
    Alright then ladies and gentlemen, PAX Aus is complete.
    If you weren't already on it, it's time to board the PAX East 2015 Hype Train.
    #RealPaxHype

PAX EAST 2015 IS A GO!
  • TheLizbotTheLizbot Registered User regular
    Sorry if I missed the answer to this somewhere, but is there an age where I have to purchase a pass for my child? Would I need passes for even an infant? Is it free under 10 years old or something, or does PA need to know exactly how many humanoids will be present via the purchase of tickets? Thanks!