As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pax Arcadia: An Alliance PVE Guild on Draenor (US)

• NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    I knew this was gonna happen to you.

brDe918.jpg
  • LeftOnRedLeftOnRed Registered User regular
    I was doing so well. I had a nope picture for Facebook chat and everything.

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    LeftOnRed wrote: »
    I don't think that there are any raiding plans at this time unless the numbers swell pretty drastically.

I've got something that can swell pretty drastically, just in case the whole raiding thing doesn't pan out. ;)

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    It was the Molten Corgi YUUUUP pic that did it, wasn't it? Wait, you bought the CE no less? Hahaha, oh man.

So for those coming back, you'll find Spirit of Harmony is now tradeable. I can make you 28 slot bags - Royal Satchels - with 36 spirit of harmony and 300 windwool cloth. You can plant windshear cactus at your farm and wind up with some bolts of cloth and pure cloth. If you have alts that you want to level up, or boost 90, I've slapped a bunch of netherweave bags in the guild bank. A run through Black Temple nets me enough mats for 10 to 14 bags, and I'm going to slap them senseless until Akama coughs up the Amice of Brilliant Light. WoD will add another 28 slot bag made with WoD mats, and a 30 that you can buy from a rare vendor in your garrison for 2200g.

I might experiment with farming some frostweave and embersilk as well, see how fast I can gather it up.

Frostweave should be available in large quantities by soloing WotLK raids.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Hey, is Malygos soloable now? When I quit WoW while also active in this guild, we were still working on taking him down. I still have the quest to take down the 10-man version.

I'm enjoying soloing old raid content. Most of the Ahn Qiraj stuff isn't very challenging, although a few bits can be tricky. I had to read up on how to kill Viscidus. Glad I still have my ol' Barov Peasant Caller to help out with melee!

I expect Malygos would be soloable at 90. Vehicles scale based on item level now so it should be pretty simple. I was planning on trying it tonight if I get through LFR in any reasonable amount of time so I'll let you know.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Hey, is Malygos soloable now? When I quit WoW while also active in this guild, we were still working on taking him down. I still have the quest to take down the 10-man version.

I'm enjoying soloing old raid content. Most of the Ahn Qiraj stuff isn't very challenging, although a few bits can be tricky. I had to read up on how to kill Viscidus. Glad I still have my ol' Barov Peasant Caller to help out with melee!

You can blow up Malygos to 1 health on 25 man with any 90. Then you just hop on the dragon, hit him once, and dead.

The crazy, mount farming idiot in my brain is so happy to read those words.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I've been putting in some work, trying to decide if WoW can do it for me again. I actually kinda wish I could catch the bug again like LeftOnRed, but it's just not that easy for me. :P

I'm liking some of the changes, but I tried getting my 80 paladin through the Mt. Hyjal quests, and it is almost too painful to go on, so much so that I went back and started a Troll Druid because their cat forms have awesome mohawks. Druids are pretty cool now, and I did have an 80 Druid on Draenor, but I'm totally trying to be Horde now for some reason, over on Greymane.

So anyways, I do really want to break through Cataclysm, because I've never played Pandaria, but it's awful and I am struggling.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I don't know what I wanna do, server and guild-wise. The person I transferred to Bronzebeard to play with is on a different server now, they also swapped over to Alliance. Not sure what they're going to do, as they seem to be humming and hawing over whether to stay there.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    Managed to take down Archimonde in Hyjal just minutes before the server shutdown this morning. Thanks, insomnia!

I was trying to kill Lady Vashj earlier, but I think I'm going to hold off on fighting her until I get better gear. She's a bit of a pain. I can usually make it to phase 3, but by that point I've let too many elementals slip past and she's too powerful for me to take down in time.

I also took care of Malygos not long after asking about him earlier today. I died a few times, but once I got past his first phase it was pretty easy. I don't think I could handle the 25-man version yet though.

As a warrior Vashj was nothing but a PITA that I decided to skip.

I haven't tried Vashj on my mage, but I imagine your best best for dealing with the elementals is to just use arcane explosion near the center of the platform to clear the blue dudes and just move out of that area when a green dude pops.

If gear is an issue, there is a vendor in Townlong Steppes that used to sell JP/VP gear, but now sells the gear for gold. It's a full set of 489 epics (except for one trinket, one ring, and a weapon). You can buy a 463 blue ring and a not so great trinket from the other vendor there also if you want. Total cost is about 4200g. It's steep, but it'll get you geared enough to go start blasting through old raids and will allow you to pop into LFR if you really hate yourself.

I'm still questing through Pandaria and haven't made it to Townlong Steppes yet, but I'll check it out once I get there. Maybe I should do that Blasted Lands event before it's taken away in mid-November.

Yeah, that's worth doing too. You get a couple pieces of nice gear from it and it's doesn't take terribly long. Also a chance at a rare pet if you're into that kind of thing (and if not it's worth $Texas right now).

edited October 2014
    Vashj for me was always an issue of awareness and mobility. Sit at the centre, kill elementals. One shot the naga, range kill the mob that fears. Watch for the green projectile and hustle to its point of origin for the corrupted core dropper, then use movement abilities to get back to the centre and use the core. Initially I was wasting time running in circles watching for the core droppers until I learned to look for their green projectile.

For older 25 man raids, as an ilevel 530ish arcane mage I can take Maly to 1hp before he becomes untargettable. Sartharion is pretty easy 25 man, leaving 3 drakes up. Halion is a bit of a hassle. Naxx is easy, nothing notable in there. Onyxia is trivial. Ulduar is pretty easy, I did find that I couldn't do the first boss with all four towers up in 25man, but didn't really spend anytime investigating it. I flipped to 10 man and plowed through the rest. Yogg Saron is a bit of an annoyance if you can't do untargeted damage with the grabby tentacles I hear. The insanity mechanic is a bit annoying too. I can't even be sure how I went from 100 to 30 sanity in the blink of an eye when I killed him.

In the coliseum, I found I could kill the first northrend beast but those fucking snobolds would kill me, nether tempest just doesn't kill the little prick on my back fast enough but I just took a couple half assed tries before going to bed. I do know that past the first boss, the thing is a goddamn cakewalk.

RE: Buying gear for gold - go to Timeless isle, you can get random drops of 496 gear that will fit your spec at the time you "activate" it. The Blasted Lands gear can't be upgraded, but at this point, I doubt you'd bother - and it's 515 to 520 ilevel.

Nosf on
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I knew you'd be back. You'll all be back.

The game runs even worse for me now that the pre-expansion patch hit. Luckily, I've got a new GPU on the way. I should probably actually buy this here fancy expansion pack.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    Randomly got Rivendare's Deathcharger in Stratholme today. Only took me about 10 years!

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Randomly got Rivendare's Deathcharger in Stratholme today. Only took me about 10 years!

I don't know how many times I ran that instance trying to get that piece of shit to drop. Congrats.

edited October 2014
    Back in Wrath they upped its drop rate to 1% from .02%. There was a solid week where we were all just beating the crap out of Strat to get our horsies.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    Back in Wrath they upped its drop rate to 1% from .02%. There was a solid week where we were all just beating the crap out of Strat to get our horsies.

Yeah, I think I was one of them. Unfortunately it never dropped for me then. But yesterday it dropped on my second try!

Also, I finally beat Lady Vashj. This time, I took a closer look at my talents and made some changes, plus I had gotten some better gear from the new Blasted Lands stuff and the ring from the Headless Horseman. Too bad the pet didn't drop. Now I have a reason to try and beat her again.

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I am shocked with how much I like these MoP zones with some new hardware. I mostly remembered them as "those zones that run like shit."

I'm kinda confused by this new solo content business. It sounds like practically all of WotLK's content it doable these days. I haven't really felt the urge, but now I'm sorta curious.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    The initial two thirds of the zones were pretty good, but by the time I was finishing the continent and wrapping up quest chains it really started to feel like they knew most of their players weren't going to bother - a lot of players just kinda stop questing when they max level - and the quality REALLY fell off.

brDe918.jpg
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    The initial two thirds of the zones were pretty good, but by the time I was finishing the continent and wrapping up quest chains it really started to feel like they knew most of their players weren't going to bother - a lot of players just kinda stop questing when they max level - and the quality REALLY fell off.

Yeah, Townlong and Dread Wastes were a drag after Valley (my favorite zone in the whole game) and Jade Forest. Vale was all right but is tainted in my memory by all those stupid mogu dailies

SLOOOOOOW DOWWWWWWWWWN

brDe918.jpg
    Dread Wastes is pretty good. Especially when you hit exalted Klaxxi and they let you in on a little secret. Townlong is forgettable and quite short.

It was an okay expansion with gorgeous scenery ruined by terrible 10 man end game balance and an over-reliance on Dailies to provide end-game content. I haven't seen anything to convince that Warlords will be otherwise.

brDe918.jpg
    Dread Wastes was fantastic because it told the story of the Mantid.

Not all of it. God help you if you can't heal for Icecrown.

Arthil wrote: »
    Not all of it. God help you if you can't heal for Icecrown.

I think in 6.0.2 you can just skip Valithria

The door there is open, you can skip her.

God fucking damn it.

edited October 2014
    The door has never been open for me, but what I've been doing is just starting the fight and then hopping into the first portal that spawns. That despawns her and then the door is open.

Also, you can skip blood queen as well, though I'm not 100% sure if you can get to Arthas if you do. Worst case is turn it down to 10 man normal and blow her up.

LeftOnRed on
    I just do everything on 25H because dammit I need more Shadowfrost Shards. 15/50 in two weeks so far.

Though I probably have a bit of an unfair advantage considering I can MC one of the Plague Scientists and he gives me +100% extra damage on top of the legacy+Strength of Wrynn buff.

• warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Hi All,

I watched all the Warlords of Draenor cartoons. Then I was downloading wow again. Any good places to read about the significant changes between Cataclysm and now? I play a Shaman, DK, Warrior, and Mage.

Can you switch servers and factions at the same time?

steam_sig.png
    Icy Veins has pretty good 6.0 transition guides, but they're really going to focus primarily on the changes from the end of MoP to the beginning of WoD.

warder808 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I watched all the Warlords of Draenor cartoons. Then I was downloading wow again. Any good places to read about the significant changes between Cataclysm and now? I play a Shaman, DK, Warrior, and Mage.

Can you switch servers and factions at the same time?

I can at least speak to the shaman question - totems (other than fire) are now cooldown-based utility spells rather than something you work into your rotation, you don't have to keep recasting shields all the damn time, and weapon imbues are gone because everybody just did the same ones all the time anyway.

• warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Hmm. Yeah. I was trying to wrap my head around totems. I remembered that they removed the spell that allowed you to drop 4 at once.
    I think the key for me getting back up to speed will be an action bar mod. They just make it easier to assign hotkeys. I remember having Grounding Totem set to SHFT-C.

steam_sig.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I am sad that my account does not appear to be eligible for the 7 free days. I've been away a long time and have been feeling the pull but I can't decide if it's a real desire to play or not =p