As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Limited Edition?

FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
edited October 2014 in Pinny Arcade
So Carl today reminded me of something I've been wanting to open for discussion.

Carl was our 6th Pin labeled as a Limited Edition. But in all honestly, aren't there dozens of pins which are truly Limited Editions?

With the Exception of the core set and maybe Behemoth pins (not sure if they have ever reordered Series 1, or if they are still selling the initial run), I'm pretty sure the majority of pins are never going to be reprinted.

For example, I'm pretty sure Blizzard is never going to reprint Leeroy Jenkins, etc.

I suppose they could reprint them if that wanted to. And perhaps that's really what distinguishes LE pins from non-LE pins... the fact that PA won't allow pins marked as LE to ever be reprinted. But if a company wanted to reprint one of their PAX pins, they are allowed to do so.

But the reality is, I think most of the pins technically fall in to the "Limited Edition" catagory.

Thoughts?

Frostbyte on

• darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    Limited man's more people want it.
    Look at all the LE PINS. More then pin pals want those pins.
    The highly sought after LE pins.
    DLC
    Hanna
    East , prime and aus 10
    Carl
    15 th
    Vday.

DLC only 300 were made. First pin and everyone wants it.
    The hanna pin was high sought after because of the comics.
    The 10 year pax pins every body wants it that goes to pax. You don't have to be a pin pal to just want it.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    All of the "Limited Editions" with the exception of the valentines day one(which has the limited edition backing, but isn't listed as LE on the official pin list) seem to be commemorative of some Penny Arcade event. Hanna timed well with the daughters run, 15th anniversary, PAX 10th anniversary ones, Carl comes with the drop of the Automata Silverside, and of course, DLC as a reward. So, as with any other solid marketing strategy, you run a campaign on multiple fronts to make more sales; calling the pin that corresponds to the event limited edition gives it an even higher collectors feel and creates a link to the IP.

I am not criticizing it at all, we all know how excited Mike is to draw the Thornwatch/Automata/Side projects, they do them because they have the idea and the inspiration to do so; why not create a tangible product to go along with it?

TL;DR - I think the term "Limited Edition" is more of a taxonomy of specific eventful pins than it is a true definition of the word "limited"

• Shadowscars22Shadowscars22 Registered User regular
    I agree, all pins are limited to some degree - the distinction is that LE pins have mostly a known quantity in circulation, while others are left intentionally unclear.

And personally - anything branded as limited edition appeals to me - heck, even LE cereals, clothing, and candy is exciting!!!

Visit my website, thepintrader.com, the first Pinny Arcade store!
  • orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Frostbyte wrote: »
    For example, I'm pretty sure Blizzard is never going to reprint Leeroy Jenkins, etc.

I think this practically pans out as similar to a LE though. It sells a bit higher than many others and I don't see people just offering one up for small time trades.

So, some pins will probably be weighted similarly at the end of the day just due to difficulty to obtain in addition to potential scarcity.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This is largely why I believe that with the exception of limited edition pins, production numbers will never be made public.

• grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    LE doesn't really mean rare, it just means guaranteed production run.

Other low quantity pins don't detract from that because simply you can't know the future. Blizzard may not reprint Leeroy or they may get enough community feedback to warrant another batch, who knows :)

We're already starting to see pins crossing multiple PAXs and really, do we know if these are all from the original order or if they ordered more pins? Maybe in a few years we get a "best of" series, where the top pins voted by the community are reprinted or something.

Anything could happen, except the reprinting of LE pins :) (well technically they could but that would be marketing and sales suicide)

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I agree that the number doesnt really define a pins rarity at the moment, plenty of pins with equal to or less numbers. What seems to be dictating our ideas as a community is how hard a pin has been to get.

What would people say to "Limited Edition" meaning something closer to how CCG'S like magic: the gathering works? You'd have your regular pin design, which they could reprint and sell as desired, and then a 'limited' number of an alternate design that will have the limited numbers, sold at a specific time, or at a specific event.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    I think the term "Limited Edition" is being used two different ways here. Yes, most of the PAX pins are probably not going to be reproduced so they are technically a "limited edition". PA uses the term "Limited Edition" as a guarantee that the pin will never e-e-e-e-e-ver be reprinted again, similar the God forsaken reserved list in MTG.

The reason most of the PAX pins will not be reprinted is simply marketing. The pins were created as a way to market a particular game. Few companies (outside of Nintendo) see their games as being evergreen, so they market it once and that is it. Second Son and Rayman are limited edition only because their companies see no reason to reprint them, not because they can't. Personally I hope some of the pins (and I think everyone knows which one especially) do get a reprint in the future, so it is easier to get a hold of them.

• ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This talk of variants keeps my hope alive that we'll eventually see another DLC pin. Just change the color of the couch or something and call it DLC 2.0

But that might also lessen hype for future LE pins. People would probably be less likely to impulse buy if they knew there was a chance at a variant reprint.

am i the only one that would get both if they ever went normal/limited varient route......?

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • foehammerfoehammer procrastinator extraordinaire melbourneRegistered User regular
    no you are not

didnt think so, asking out of courtesy :P

8fuuo_RK.png
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    am i the only one that would get both if they ever went normal/limited varient route......?

I'd want both, but at this point I think I'd settle for a variant

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I think it really depends on the Pin as to whether we see another run. Can I see Rayman getting another game in a couple of years, and wanting to use his Pin again? Absolutely. Leeroy with the Hearthstone card? Maybe, but probably not.

DLC reprinted in any form or fashion? No. Limited means they do one run of a design and that's it. We may see a similar design in a few years, of Mike on the couch and Jerry at the computer (maybe like this?) but it wouldn't be the same Pin.

PedroAsani on