As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Ultimate Marvel] thread

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah I would much rather they just kept USM as it's own thing, sorta how Spider-Girl was it's own thing for years.

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    I read the latest all new ultimates

in other news I'm done with all new ultimates

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Furu wrote: »
    I read the latest all new ultimates

in other news I'm done with all new ultimates

Sounds like you're just a few issues ahead of the curve vs Marvel on that one. :D

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    boosh

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    edit

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So I'm right to just read USM huh. Honestly I'm considering selling all my Ultimate stuff except for my Ultimates 1 and 2 omnibus and all of Spider-man.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    I was so hyped for All New Ultimates.

Then the art was kinda bad and the writing just meh. What a bummer.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I was so hyped for All New Ultimates.

Then the art was kinda bad and the writing just meh. What a bummer.

The writing isn't just meh, it's downright confusing at times.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I am really angry that we finally got a rundown of Jessica's whole deal re:sexuality and it was in this book.

Quire.jpg
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Care to explain it for those who aren't reading?

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • SeeDarkly_XSeeDarkly_X Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    After the previous Ultimates disband because... reasons... Spider Man, Spider Woman(now Black Widow), Kitty Pryde, Bombshell, and Cloak & Dagger take up the "Ultimates" name to fight... super-powered street-thugs... I guess.
    It's not utterly horrible... but when I describe it like that I kind of wonder why I'm not even less impressed with it.

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z.
    The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG and how that experience becomes useful to him in a dystopian future.
    It's free online, presented as a web-serial, with updates 3 times a week. No Ads. Nothing to buy.
    The Myth Prosaic - Book I of The Mythic Chess Set by Georgia Z
    Follow on Twitter - Follow on Facebook
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

All girls on the Ultimate's have a day at the beach and they get into a conversation about sex and Jessica decides to confide in them that she's a clone of Peter and all that involves. She says that while she has his memories they feel fake and that right now she's trying to figure out what she's into outside of that. Which is girls.

io2oh6ejioyhqtzsn46g-300x262.jpg

Which I mean, fair enough but its just not very good dialogue and ends up sounding like "hey, I'm nothing like Peter Parker! I like girls... Red heads in particular...

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Thanks for explaining that. Shame about the series not being good.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    MMUSM 6
    JJ better not be dead bendis. DAMN YOU.

Also not buying that Peter is the real deal yet. Though the issue was fantastic overall!

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • LRGLRG Registered User regular
    Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man #6 was so good.
    I'm buying & riding with Peter being back from the dead since clearly Norman can't die, it makes sense. It also allows the character to continue to grow in a fresh way that I'm excited to read but clearly isn't diminish the lead character's role as Spidey, which is solidified by whooping the Green Goblin.

Great issue.

• MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    LRG wrote: »
    I'm buying & riding with Peter being back from the dead since clearly Norman can't die, it makes sense. It also allows the character to continue to grow in a fresh way that I'm excited to read but clearly isn't diminish the lead character's role as Spidey, which is solidified by whooping the Green Goblin.

Great issue.

If both are true
    does this mean Harry's coming back as well?

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    MetalMagus wrote: »

Great issue.

If both are true

I've been hoping for that.
    Ever since Osborn came back after that arc, I figured the Oz formula has to include some kind of regenerative factor that kicks in after mortal injuries - if Osborn can regenerate from being ventilated in his human form, Harry should be able to come back. That would also explain Peter's return - or anyone who'd gotten powers from Oz.

I'd be thrilled to have Harry back and have him control his goblin powers so he could become a hero. Did they ever do anything with that Scorpion clone? We need to get that guy and Harry and Bombshell and some others together to make the Ultimate Sinister Six, but have them be good.

H9f4bVe.png
    edited October 2014
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Great issue.

If both are true

Ever since Osborn came back after that arc, I figured the Oz formula has to include some kind of regenerative factor that kicks in after mortal injuries - if Osborn can regenerate from being ventilated in his human form, Harry should be able to come back. That would also explain Peter's return - or anyone who'd gotten powers from Oz.

I'd be thrilled to have Harry back and have him control his goblin powers so he could become a hero. Did they ever do anything with that Scorpion clone? We need to get that guy and Harry and Bombshell and some others together to make the Ultimate Sinister Six, but have them be good.
    Does that mean MJ is immortal as well?

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Great issue.

If both are true

Does that mean MJ is immortal as well?

Maybe.
    That was another thread that was never followed - whether or not MJ still has the Oz formula in her system. It was supposed to be totally removed by the FF, but there were some scenes after the incident that implied MJ might still have it in her system - nothing ever came of it.

Though if Oz revived Peter, that would make Miles immortal as well.

H9f4bVe.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Yeah I am optimistic about the current Ultimate spider-man, I don't think Bendis would do something just to be a jerk to everyone.

cover for issue 9
    tumblr_ndlvtulDM01rx5px6o1_500.jpg

cover for issue 9
    tumblr_ndlvtulDM01rx5px6o1_500.jpg
    Wait, I can't fly and I'm not wearing web-shooters.

OH SHIIIIIIIIIII...

I swear they use the "something big is coming to the ultimate universe in six months" line every six months.
    Ha, it was only 3 months, Bendis!

Ultimate-Universe-The-End-2015-teaser-069af.jpg

edited October 2014
    Wanna keep Miles, Ben, Sue, evil Reed, and maybe Doom, wanna keep most of the mutants... wouldn't mind Jimmy Hudson coming over and replacing Wolverine for a while, as long as they don't forget his weirder powers, kinda want Bombshell...

And who's the guy with the weird hockey mask, is that Ult. Deadpool?

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    Taskmaster.

Its a weird pick of characters in the cover ...like what is Moonknight doing there?

FWIW bendis said this on his tumbler when he posted the image "(And Miles is NOT cancelled… whhaaaaaaat?)"

I don't fully believe that the image fully means the Ultimate verse is truly ending, but who knows with all these teasers. Looking forward to next year a bunch though :)

Really don't want the Ultimate Universe to end. I don't want to see the lore built for both Spider-men just be thrown away and just drop the characters in 616. I feel there are still mysteries and stuff that can still be explored in the current universe.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    edited October 2014
    The issue is that the Ultimate Universe just isn't selling anymore, aside from Spider-Man.

Ultimate Spider-man was #87 last month with 34,000 copies

All-New Ultimates was #148 with 16,000 copies.

For reference, X-Factor and She-Hulk sell around 20 to 21 thousand copies a month, and they're getting canceled. (Though She-Hulk is a cheaper book, so sales like that hurt more)

And Ultimate FF flat out got canceled after 6 issues. (It sold around 10,000 copies on it's last month)

The Ultimate universe is STRUGGLING. Can totally see them thinking it's a good time to move away from it.

I would say that blowing it up seems a bit harsh (if that's what happens) but given it has happened like twice already, I'm starting to get a bit ambivalent about it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    The issue is that the Ultimate Universe just isn't selling anymore, aside from Spider-Man.

Ultimate Spider-man was #87 last month with 34,000 copies

All-New Ultimates was #148 with 16,000 copies.

For reference, X-Factor and She-Hulk sell around 20 to 21 thousand copies a month, and they're getting canceled. (Though She-Hulk is a cheaper book, so sales like that hurt more)

And Ultimate FF flat out got canceled after 6 issues. (It sold around 10,000 copies on it's last month)

The Ultimate universe is STRUGGLING. Can totally see them thinking it's a good time to move away from it.

I would say that blowing it up seems a bit harsh (if that's what happens) but given it has happened like twice already, I'm starting to get a bit ambivalent about it.

looks like it's getting the same treatment as 2099, I'm sure they'll keep Miles along with a few other characters just like they did with Spider-Man 2099 and Doom 2099

Another reason I don't want Ultimate Spider-man in 616 is that I feel the frequency of crossover events could harm the story telling. E.g. Mutants have taken over New York? Better focus a story on that, instead of something relevant to the character.

But really I just don't want to lose any characters or plots like Scorpion-Spidey

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Didn't they have a "The End" for MC2 (e.g. Spider-Girl's world)? Or is that occurring in Spider-verse?

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    I don't know about the whole world ending, but it's definitely involved in Spider-verse.
    These weird Morlun-esque spider-eater guys went there and killed that world's Peter Parker. Pretty big deal.

Might get dragged into Incursion stuff later on.

H9f4bVe.png
    Just got an e-mail from Marvel Subscriptions saying that All-New Ultimates is ending and existing subscriptions are rolling over to Ultimate Spider-Man, so the Ultimate Universe is down to a single book.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I decided against getting ANU, mostly because I want to concentrate on catching up with Hickman's Avengers. I'm perfectly content with reading Spider-man only.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    At least Hickman is writing (a) Ultimate Reed Richards in Secret Wars :D

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Can someone tell me what happened in usm

edited November 2014
    Langly wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what happened in usm
    Norman talks that he knows Miles' dad's secret. Norman goes crazy fights with Miles and Peter? again, seems to die after a venom sting. Peter/Miles leaves, Maria Hill shoots Norman for good measure and burns his body (so that he cant resurrect again hopefully). Miles and Peter? / gang talk, Peter? gives Miles his blessing, and seems to ride off into the sunset with MJ for a happy ending. Miles' gf's family is Hydra. Miles' dad appears at the end of the ep. Seems to be going on the assumption that Peter is the real dead (I'm not fully convinced yet)

UltimateInferno on

USM continues to be great.

It's almost sad how so many people seem to forget about it, because apart from a few bumps here and there, it has had the most consistent run of any comic.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Ultimates The End: We finally ran out of characters to fridge.

On the plus side, I now have Ultimates 1 and 2 by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch. Which are awesome.

Is that really happening or is it just a promotional poster for Secret Wars?

P2n5r3l.jpg