As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer problems

urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R haterRegistered User regular
I'm having issues with my wife's computer (yet again!) and would like some help if possible.

It was initially BSODing on reboot. I was able to go in and finally see the error message and it said: "A clock interrupt was not received..." and of course I don't remember the rest because this was a few days ago. Using Google I tried their suggestions (bootfix, resetting BIOS, chkdsk) but nothing has worked. I went ahead and tried to do a repair install of Windows 7, and it said it was complete and when I reboot it just goes to a black screen and nothing ever happens (eventually reboots).

Things it's doing now:

1. Will not boot into Safe mode. Since the Windows Install wasn't technically complete until it reboots it won't let me boot into safe mode anymore.
2. Will not boot off a Ubuntu disk. We have some files we'd like to save on the HDD and I know that they are still there (I was able to get into safe mode yesterday).
3. Gives me a black screen after the Windows logo appears.

Yesterday I uninstalled/reinstalled the video drivers and that didn't fix anything. Today I ran Memtest86 and it all passed. What do you guys suggest I do? I don't really have any spare parts laying around.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    How old is this PC?

clock interrupt is usually motherboard or CPU, usually faulty components on the motherboard like onboard sound or network cards.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Relatively new. I built it myself a couple of years ago.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    In weird conditions bad chipset drivers can cause that BSOD, but it's usually an indication that the motherboard and/or CPU is failing.

If by some chance the CPU is overclocked, it can cause this. Returning it to normal speed can stop the problem, but in that case it's usually temporary, because the CPU was already on its way out.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Hevach wrote: »
    In weird conditions bad chipset drivers can cause that BSOD, but it's usually an indication that the motherboard and/or CPU is failing.

If by some chance the CPU is overclocked, it can cause this. Returning it to normal speed can stop the problem, but in that case it's usually temporary, because the CPU was already on its way out.

If youre trying for recovery, you can also disable everything in bios, pull all but one stick of ram and underclock the cpu just to hopefully copy the files you're trying to save. Have you tried to fix the master boot record?

Edit: I was a pretty diehard fan of AMD hardware until I had nothing but issues similar to this with my Ath64. Seemed like I was always at war with heat and aftermarket fans and sinks. Hopefully you just take a few deep breaths and come back to it later if you need to. If nothing else you can pull the drive to recover the data.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Trying to get into the bios to underclock the ram and cpu was my suggestion as well. It might buy him enough time to get in. Otherwise just yank the hard drive and put it in another computer.