As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

S4 mini phone/contacts apps broken.

honoverehonovere Registered User regular
Hi,
I need some help with my S4 mini.

I was dumb and installed the 4.4.2 update on the S4 mini (not rooted). After that the phone app and contacts app were broken, their icons on the home screen replaced by stock android icons (the green guy) and selecting them just produced the info “app not installed”. The phone app was also missing in the app drawer (option to show disabled apps was not selectable) and under “all” in the app manager the phone app was also missing.
The message app was still working though and through it I could still call people that had been saved in my contacts. I could also receive calls, which prompted the phone app to open.

After a factory reset all the problems were the same, except that now the phone app can be fund under “all” in the app manager. All the option under app property are greyed out though with the exception of clear data and clear cache.

Samsung support couldn’t figure it out either and told me to send it in at my own expense.

Before doing that I tried installing a third party dialer+contact app (exdialer). Now I can dial and see my contacts again, but I can’t edit contacts or add new ones. The only way to do that as far as I have found out so far at the moment is to edit my contacts in my google account and sync it with my phone.

If someone has an idea on how to get the contacts working again or how to restore the stock phone and contacts apps, that would be really great.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    are you launching from old shortcuts or from the app drawer?

wondering if hte updates broke the link somehow

camo_sig.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The stock apps are neither on the homescreen as shortcuts or in the appdrawer, which meansthat I can't start them at all. At the moment I use EXdialer as that at least lets me dial and see my contacts (even if I can't edit them). The stock phone app only appears when I get a call or when EXdialer establishes a connection (by he way: is that normal that the stock app starts at that moment when using a third party dialer?).