As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anyone good at identifying guitar chords and transposing?

RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
edited June 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
Howdy. Anyone here good at visually identifying guitar chords being played? How about if a capo is being used?

There's a song on youtube I really like and I'd like to learn how to play it on piano but I don't know guitar chords too well and a capo is being used which makes it harder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDC64UtZPZs

For example that first chord looks like a C chord but with the capo I guess it gets transposed up three notes making it an E flat chord? The other chords I'm not sure about -- I think I'm close but it just doesn't sound right.

If someone can at least identify the chords she's playing I can probably do the transposition myself by moving everything up three steps...

Thanks!

Rothgarr on

• Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    The guitar isn't particularly well tuned, which may be why you're having trouble identifying the chords. I don't have an instrument on me for reference right now, but the song is in the key of Eb. That means the chords you have to choose from are (roughly speaking) Eb, Fm, Gm, Ab, Bb, Cm.

Intro:
    Eb Gm (or Bb?) Cm Ab

Verse:
    Eb Gm Cm Cm

Prechorus:
    Ab Eb Bb Bb

Chorus:
    same as intro

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I don't have audio to be sure, but those chord shapes look to be G7, G, Am, and C? That's in order, from the first progression of the video. The G7 and C look similar to each other; with the ring finger on the A (second) string, that's the C, when it's up on the E (first) that's the G7? Not positive.

Then just shift the key up three steps?

EDIT: If in doubt, listen to him not me. I'm admittedly spitballing, he's got a picture of a guitar in his profile pic and everything.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Here's what I got (not transposed for the capo):

Intro: C Em Am F
    Verse: C Em Am
    Bridge/Chorus: F C G

The Em might be something else. Maybe a weird G or something. I'm not a theory guy. That's just what I see chords-wise.

• Options
    That's awesome, thanks so much. That should be plenty for me to work with. You guys are the best.

• Options
    Following up on this. With your help I finished the song a few months ago.

I'm happy with the result and with your help I'd like to do another one. Are you able to tell what the chords are by sight? And is it easy enough to figure out what they are with the capo being used?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkjFn3fKlQc

Thanks so much!!!

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    That one's easy - just C, Em, Am, F over and over again.

• Options
    Thanks! I haven't tried yet but I assume that's without taking the capo into account? No problem if it doesn't I can just transpose.

Do you happen to know what's being played starting at time stamp 1:59 before it goes back into the chord progression you listed?

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Am (Cm) and G (Bb) back and forth, ending on F (Ab)