As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, October 27, 2014 - Underworld, Part One

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited October 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Monday, October 27, 2014 - Underworld, Part One

Underworld, Part One

Underworld, Part One

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/10/27

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    HeWhoSeesHeWhoSees Registered User regular
    Wtf, "Malahedron"? Okay first, is that like an ACTUALLY demonic d20 or something? Second, has it EVER been mentioned before up to now? Penny Arcade or otherwise?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    See, I'd figure that Australians don't have Halloween simply because Australia is a constantly terrifying place filled with ready-made monsters to go.

Weredingos are probably, like, just a thing you deal with on a weekly basis. No reason to dress up to scare each other.

Plus, I assume all Australians are adept monster hunters, so you wouldn't want to confuse someone and end up expertly trapped and on the Nature channel.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    chibibochibibo Registered User new member
    Some Australians do Halloween. My street's a cul-de-sac and all the kids and parents usually have a party there after the trick-or-treating.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I like where this series of comics is going.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Come a long way from accidentally trying to bring a huge knife on board. :p

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    yeah, between foxbats, the goddamn spiders, and shit, I'm constantly terrified of somehow being illillegally transported to AUS somehow.

• Options
    EseellEseell Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Between PAX cosplayers and the Cookie Brigade you can sort of pretend it's Halloween in that tiny pocket of Melbourne.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    HeWhoSees wrote: »
    Wtf, "Malahedron"? Okay first, is that like an ACTUALLY demonic d20 or something? Second, has it EVER been mentioned before up to now? Penny Arcade or otherwise?
    Often in works of fiction (like this web comic) the creators will invent certain things and populate their fictional universe with them. So for instance neither "Gabe" nor "Tycho" exist in real life, but they are in the comic. In this case, Mike and Jerry have created something known as the "Malahedron," which is a fictional thing, for the purposes of their storyline about Halloween in Australia. It has not been mentioned before this point, which is similar to everything else which Penny Arcade has invented - the characters in Automata, for instance, did not exist until Mike and Jerry made that comic.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I feel like we should adopt the Krampus into the American holiday season.

Spoilered for horrifying and festive imagery.
    RLU6uY5.jpg

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    HeWhoSeesHeWhoSees Registered User regular
    Often in works of fiction (like this web comic) the creators will invent certain things and populate their fictional universe with them. So for instance neither "Gabe" nor "Tycho" exist in real life, but they are in the comic. In this case, Mike and Jerry have created something known as the "Malahedron," which is a fictional thing, for the purposes of their storyline about Halloween in Australia. It has not been mentioned before this point, which is similar to everything else which Penny Arcade has invented - the characters in Automata, for instance, did not exist until Mike and Jerry made that comic.

So...do you think it'll be a demonic or otherwise monstrous d20? I know I'll be terribly disappointed if it isn't.

• Options

So...do you think it'll be a demonic or otherwise monstrous d20? I know I'll be terribly disappointed if it isn't.
    I don't think it has anything to do with d20s.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    So... you're saying it's likely to be a demonic d12?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I do enjoy that Tycho's suitcase is filled with blue sweaters.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Obviously a Malahedron is a dice that has a number of surfaces that man was never meant to know.

So less d20 and more dCthulhu.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The Australian Airport security has clearly been infiltrated by Sontarians.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    The Australian Airport security has clearly been infiltrated by Sontarians.

Protip: Never fuck around with Australian customs.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Rhome GrownRhome Grown Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    The Malahedron is a multifaceted & multidimensional morsel of maleficence.
    ...it can also be used as a sex thing.

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    Wish i could afford pax, one day. At any rate pax coming to Australia was such an amazing thing. And I'm incredibly grateful it's a thing.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    The Malahedron is a multifaceted & multidimensional morsel of maleficence.
    ...it can also be used as a sex thing.

Basically, the Lament Configuration, then. Got it.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    TAFKAPTAFKAP Warrior-Jumper Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    mal-
    -hedron

A latin-greek hybrid word, meaning ill-sided. [/nerdgasm]

It's sort of like "Brangelina"

TAFKAP on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The third panel irks me. I know he's supposed to just be a tall security guard. But I keep seeing a very short security guard standing in Tycho's suit case.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    The third panel irks me. I know he's supposed to just be a tall security guard. But I keep seeing a very short security guard standing in Tycho's suit case.

Fairly sure it's the proportions. His waist is so high up compared to Tychos that he must be standing on something.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yes.

The suitcase.

We just went over this gah.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hah, I think I prefer it as a short security guard standing in the case, like he just went swimming in there

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

My question is: did Australia exist before this comic, or is it an idea stepped in shadows and evil that man was not meant to contemplate before the existance of this comic brought it screaming forth from the void into the world?

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

My question is: did Australia exist before this comic, or is it an idea stepped in shadows and evil that man was not meant to contemplate before the existance of this comic brought it screaming forth from the void into the world?
    I'm not sure, actually - my knowledge of geography is a lot worse than my knowledge of occult artifacts. If I had to guess, off the top of my head, I'd say Australia is probably made up (places that end with "alia" or "istan" or whatever are usually just made up, because that makes them sound like other places). But again I'm not really sure.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It could be part of the "here be dragons"-thing. But I think there's at least a prison in that area.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I like how his suitcase is open, and the only thing in there is another sweater just like the one he always wears.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet