As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Iruka's Thread, Sketchbook Dumpin' since twenty ten Y'all.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    w2yxr6yfrhlq.jpg
    this one is just not coming together for me.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    It's a very horizontal composition. Could maybe do with some stuff breaking that. Neato clouds though.

I had a third dog melting into the ground, but it didn't help. Maybe I'll throw in some radio towers or something,

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I really dig the concept! It'd be a shame to hide those clouds, but maybe the composition needs some more depth too. Also the front dog's right hind leg seems a little too long, although I think I get what you were going for.

Flay on
    It was supposed to me abstracted, which I think was more obvious when I has the dog melting into the ground, as it made things read less literal. I have to decide if its worth going back into.

in the meantime, studies:
    g4vjhmcwigz2.jpg

g6sbwjd2ca1k.jpg
    trying to leave these kinda rough and not spend a million hours on it, so I'm letting it go.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I feel like the added detail stuff in the deeper parts of the composition help to illustrate the volume which was sort of flat in the earlier composition. definitely get a better sense of place.

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    The clouds and the palette are lovely. Like it a lot overall.

The only thing I might mention is that the hound on the left seems a teeny bit too neatly "contained" by the edge of the canvas to me. I might have repositioned him a little in the composition slightly, but it's a small thing.

Scosglen on
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    super cool dags, love the colors

uc3ufTB.png
  • BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    littlegod1_co.jpg

This is so great.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• jimmyblevinsjimmyblevins Sir Penny ArcadeRegistered User regular
    more webcomics

and from the doodle thread
    130eio5cj9p4.png

Nice rendering on the cars! I think the dog in the foreground looks good too. I like the composition on this one better than the other one with the dogs.

What are you working towards now? It looked like in the beginning of the thread you were doing videogame related stuff but I don't really get that sense anymore. Seems like you;re doing your own thing.

That's an accurate analysis. Basically I found a day job that covers my living expenses which took some of the pressure off, and I'm using the freedom to make are that's a little less "OMG I need an industry job!!" and try to figure out what I'm interested in again. I actually am getting back into working on a game, but I probably wont be posting anything about it for a while.

Anyway, Thanks for the compliments. That first composition is stronger, I want to turn it into a little series, so I'll give it another go in a while.

edited October 2014
    So Polycount is doing a LOL art contest, and I thought it maybe good motivation to get me out of my comfort zone. Working on the rat:
    http://gameinfo.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/game-info/champions/twitch/
    I wanted to do something kinda fun, and they have a lot of goofy skins, so I thought, ratatouille? I did a few thumbnails that got me here:
    6ekyh8yd7aa5.jpg

But I wanted to try and push it a little further and try to combat some of my tendencies to flatness. Shot a little reference and got here:
    y6rb2p2vl6z9.jpg

Any glaring flaws before I dig in deep? While I'm not really setting out to win the contest, I do want to focus on light and rendering for practice. Most lol stuff has extreeeme perspective with crazy dynamic poses, but I didnt have any interest in doing ridiculous ninja poses this time around.

Iruka on
  • NatriNatri Registered User regular
    I really like this bottom one! Very cool expression. Is that a window in the background? You could maybe use that as a way to get some reflected moonlight onto his backside. If you want to stick to the front lightsource and keep the background in darkness I would crop a little bit tighter on his right.

But yeah, definitely diggin this! It has that "there's a rat secretly brewing creepy stuff in my attic" vibe to it.

www.instagram.com/ceneven
    Yeah I was thinking of a bit of soft blue back lighting from the sky light.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Wowzers! This looks ambitious. :) That's awesome.

The main thing I'd suggest you do before going any further is to do a quick value study, and make sure that you're making everything clear to understand at that stage before moving further. Make sure to keep things in the background not too sharp, contrast-y, or detailed...at least in comparison to the focal point and foreground - the pot and the rat.

If you nail down a very clear and simplified composition, and a clear foreground, middle ground, and background in value, and you stick to it while you delve into color, I think that will make this a lot easier and will help direct the viewer's attention without having to worry about having the piece look overly complex and confusing. Rendering is fun so it's easy to overdo it...but try to pull yourself back if you notice that your'e spending too much time on items that are not that important, or detract from the figure at all.

NightDragon on
    Great tips, ND. I'll look at some value studies and see what I can do. Showing preliminary work is part of the contest so it would be good for me to hang out in this stage for longer than I normally do and try to work out any kinks.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I think the second one feels flatter than the first one. The background is deeper, sure, but the character in the first one feels more dynamic (lol buzzwords) and both comes towards the camera and recedes back further than the character in the second one.

It seems like the character is the second one is holding their arms closer to their body which is also reducing the 'dynamism'.

Wassermelone on
    edited October 2014
    Despite a decrease in dynamo, I feel like the first one is has a weaker focus, I also feel like the shapes (his face, his tail) have a little more breathing room in the second one rather than being assaulted by shapes like you are in the first one, granted I could maybe fix that with values and omitting some of the details in the first, I don't know.

Maybe I'll shoot more reference and try and do value studies on both.

Iruka on
    3hs0fbv6tb8r.jpg
    @Wassermelone‌ what if I stick his hand in your face like so? Do you still like the old one better?

I'm not entirely sure what to do with his tail in this one, though.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Thats working great :biggrin:

As for the tail, I think taking it off the edge of the image and then curling it back in would work well. I think if you focused on keeping the whole tail in image, it might start to get tangenty/seem squeezed into the composition

edited October 2014
    Yes yes yes, the 2nd version of this one works much better. I also agree with Wasser on the tail (and, not sure if he meant this as well, but flip the curve of the tail too).

NightDragon on
    What do you mean by flip the curve, You mean you mean flip the part that's holding the salt shaker?

I mean flip the tail horizontally, so it is swooping inwards, rather than swooping out and pointing to outside the picture plane. If you took it in Photoshop and did Translate:Flip:Horizontal, that would do what I'm trying to say. :P

Compositionally it's feeling like it's throwing my eye off the picture, and if you reversed the curve I feel like my attention would return to the rat's face.

edited November 2014
    worked into it a little tonight:
    f5sv46wd2m62.jpg
    Pushed some values around and started to experiment:
    zv150ggh1qnf.jpg
    Keeping a light touch so far but I think next session I'll start using color and refining forms and such.

Iruka on
    edited November 2014
    d1ioeaahlwt7.jpg
    So just to note: I have not worked into the right side at all, including his hand. Just wanted to post progress on colors, really. I'll start drawing into the right side next. This is like 1st pass, I would say overall I'm maybe 25% in.

Iruka on
    So good bro, although the pot looks slightly small compared to the bottle. Maybe push the size/perspective of it further? Dunno, something just looks fishy about it, as if he's missing the pot when pouring.
    Also, question thyme: your quick color passes, what kind of layer were they done on?

@m3nace‌ its a combination of two layers, a "color" layer for the initial hue changes, then a "color dodge" layer for the glowy bits.

I agree on the pot. I could extend the canvas down, or widen the pot, which do you think works best?

fyfphcepmm7a.jpg

Included for fun is me shooting my goofy ass reference.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I like the third one best but I'd be hard pressed to specify why that is.

Possibly because the pot handles provide another visual cue for the scale and perspective. I only wonder if it starts to put too much focus on the pot

Possibly because the pot handles provide another visual cue for the scale and perspective. I only wonder if it starts to put too much focus on the pot

could you combine 1 and 3? use the pot handles in the wider composition (or at least the one closest to the body, because you're right, that's totally what made that image make the most sense to me) -- I think the wider comp puts less focus on the pot since it's got a better visual distribution.

Yeah, I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

• SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    damn thats really cool, thx for posting the process

Yeah I really like 3 as well but the pot really does steal focus so I'll have to say 1, however maybe lowering the canvas slightly so it doesn't cut off just in the middle of the pot.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I love all of the details in the background! It's looking sweet so far Iruka.

Maybe You could use the glowing (?) thing on the tip of the thing in their right hand to cast some secondary light to draw attention back to the face? Or maybe that would just confuse things. Also I think the light needs to be a bit more green overall.

Flay on
    w3wloszmqilg.jpg
    Progress, Starting to feel pretty comfortable about the major placements of things, so I'm pushing forward with rendering.

• LazarusKingLazarusKing Registered User regular
    That's awesome. What a great thread.

• OllieOllie Registered User regular
    aaahaha that is looking so cool. I feel like the stew should be a biiiit brighter, though, since the reflection on the hand and bottle are so much lighter than what the stew currently is. But you probably just haven't gotten there yet. :) Really great job on the face, and good choice for what to do with the tail!

m0ccj35dpflb.jpg
    I'm starting to get to the point where I don't know what else to do. I'm going to spend a little time on his outfit because that seems a little under developed now, does anything else stick out as off kilter?