As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Brothers! DLC CHARACTERS CONFIRMED! MEWTWO SPRING 2015!

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Hello folks I have just now reremembered that they're making Kirby Canvas Curse 2 and thought this was the appropriate thread to freak out about that

Real talk I am as hyped for that game as I am for any game that actual footage exists for

That claymation style is so good, lordy lordy

Canvas Curse was so good. I got 100% multiple times. Those minigames were such a pain.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    So... Are people not playing anymore? Did I miss the bus for multi? Or just everyone busy the last few days

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I got mad at video games but I'm back on board

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    It was always a bit slim pickings for people who wanted to play online

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    I got mad at video games but I'm back on board

:( did they call you names

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    You ever get your ass beaten a dozen times in a row by a stranger, when you're using your best character? Like, you manage to kill them 3-5 times during the whole set level beat your ass?

And then it happens again the next day?

I can't deal with that stuff too well. I'm not a very good competitive player, and it's difficult for me to leverage my characters in ways that get around strategies that might seem obvious to others.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    You ever get your ass beaten a dozen times in a row by a stranger, when you're using your best character? Like, you manage to kill them 3-5 times during the whole set level beat your ass?

I can't deal with that stuff too well. I'm not a very good competitive player, and it's difficult for me to leverage my characters in ways that get around strategies that might seem obvious to others.

Yeah, in smite all the time

Taking a break is often the best call

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I fell down a Civ hole but I'll be back soon

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I am exactly that way, having the confidence kicked out of you is the worst in fighting games

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

Who do you think is your best character
    It's ness imo

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    The worst is when you drive a long way to a tournament and get crushes

We used to make a 3 hour drive once a month to Cincinnati to compete in brawl tournaments and get annihilated in spite of how much we'd practice

And then we had to drive home in the middle of the night for 3 hours commiserating about it

• Options
    I would honestly feel better about it if I met a Ness or a Ganondorf or even a Lucina/Marth who just beat me that roundly and consistently

But between Peach's hovering-just-too-high-for-my-approach-Bs-to-connect schtick and Dedede's attack leading with Gordo, it felt like I was coming up against a wall in the mechanics, where I didn't have any way to get around them with the character or characters I was using

And that feeling is the worst

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Who do you think is your best character
    It's ness imo

Probably Ganondorf, with Ness as a strong second. Ness is definitely better for osme match-ups, though.

But I really am getting better with Lucina. I've been practicing with her a lot, and you saw the results of me learning to use an aerial Shield Breaker as an approach tool

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The thing with dorf is maybe you really do literally have no approach options. He's not really a popular character for a reason! But, that also gives you the advantage of people not being used to playing against him, and because he can ko at very low percentage he really presses that surprise factor. However if you get matched with someone who has really embraced defensive play, gannondorf will leave plenty of openings to punish.

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Sakurai give me super armor on flame choke and wizard's foot

Sakurai

Sakurai, please

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    But no the ironic thing is that the guys who really beat my ass were hyper offensive, I just had no spacing options to get around it in either case. I've never run into a genuinely defensive player who I couldn't at least get my hands on

I mean I know they're out there

But I wasn't getting punished on aerials or anything

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I need my tilt stick so bad you guys
    Sakurai give me super armor on flame choke and wizard's foot

Sakurai

Sakurai, please

I wish Flame Choke had full projectile invincibility, it feels like it has a little bit somewhere (or at least the animation twists up his hurt box in odd ways) but being able to dash through mario fireball would be amazing

and Wizard Foot with armor would be amazing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I've seen Ganondorfs who kick crazy amounts of ass against players better than those who whipped me

I can't accept this is down to the character, because that implies I'm good enough to leverage everything GDorf's capable of

And that plainly isn't true

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I'm having a weird time playing on the 3DS lately, as if I suddenly can't make any characters do what I want to. Differentiating my tilts and smashes suddenly got a lot harder and my play is really inconsistent. I think I need to play with more real people, too.

Chincy, I'd be happy to play with you sometime. Add me and I'll do the same when I get a chance.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    The thing with dorf is maybe you really do literally have no approach options. He's not really a popular character for a reason! But, that also gives you the advantage of people not being used to playing against him, and because he can ko at very low percentage he really presses that surprise factor. However if you get matched with someone who has really embraced defensive play, gannondorf will leave plenty of openings to punish.

I have seen so many Ganondorves online. So many. Somehow I still fall for that surprise factor.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I've also found I'm not as good with Samus as I thought I was, so that's kind of a bummer. Time to practice, I guess.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular

Oh so its not just me?

I come from a major fighting game background, so I am always pretty AWARE of what is going on. And I can usually tell when I am being beaten by a one off strategy where some guy found one thing that works and does it till he loses then moves on to someone else and repeats.

And in most games I am capable of learning a way around that then beating them to a pulp for not having any kind of backup plan.

But in Smash, it just seems like counters to things are not obvious at all. Like I am still incapable of beating Little Mac spammers. I still cannot counter dodge roll spammers who wait till you wiff and punish. I still cannot find a way around shield then throwing. And I still cannot approach characters like link or martha. Oh, and I still seem to have a really shitty ability to land from the air vs just about anyone while I cannot hit someone falling EVER no matter how hard I try to practice it.

I have worked around those problems with Lucario because I just do my best till he is like 80% or so then I get them in the air and mix up long range balls and medium range forward B. I can usually get people in their landing lag from those two. But I cannot touch them in the air.

Oh, and I CANNOT hit people out of throws. Ever. Yet I go from taking a garunteed uair out of someones throw to getting comboed out of them.

So I run into people doing those things who can also counter my assault and I lose in the same annoying fashion over and over. Yesterday I raged pretty hard about it. Today I started the day right and got a match with some fox and I used ROB and never let him get back on the stage in the most hilarious way possible, I willingly chose to SD after the embarrassing kill and he spawned and SDed too.

• Options
    BTW if anyone wants to play in the next hour or so I am available.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

Oh so its not just me?

I come from a major fighting game background, so I am always pretty AWARE of what is going on. And I can usually tell when I am being beaten by a one off strategy where some guy found one thing that works and does it till he loses then moves on to someone else and repeats.

And in most games I am capable of learning a way around that then beating them to a pulp for not having any kind of backup plan.

But in Smash, it just seems like counters to things are not obvious at all. Like I am still incapable of beating Little Mac spammers. I still cannot counter dodge roll spammers who wait till you wiff and punish. I still cannot find a way around shield then throwing. And I still cannot approach characters like link or martha. Oh, and I still seem to have a really shitty ability to land from the air vs just about anyone while I cannot hit someone falling EVER no matter how hard I try to practice it.

I have worked around those problems with Lucario because I just do my best till he is like 80% or so then I get them in the air and mix up long range balls and medium range forward B. I can usually get people in their landing lag from those two. But I cannot touch them in the air.

Oh, and I CANNOT hit people out of throws. Ever. Yet I go from taking a garunteed uair out of someones throw to getting comboed out of them.

So I run into people doing those things who can also counter my assault and I lose in the same annoying fashion over and over. Yesterday I raged pretty hard about it. Today I started the day right and got a match with some fox and I used ROB and never let him get back on the stage in the most hilarious way possible, I willingly chose to SD after the embarrassing kill and he spawned and SDed too.

I have trouble hitting people out of and getting compulsive/defensive shielders into throws, as Lucario at least. I think they're very short ranged and his tosses are awkwardly out of the obvious follow-up attack spaces.

• Options
    I just successfully guarded an edge for the first time EVER

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So... Are people not playing anymore? Did I miss the bus for multi? Or just everyone busy the last few days
    This is just a guess, but it seems like the Direct for the Wii U version took the wind out the 3DS's sails. A lot of people seem to be playing other games while waiting for the Wii U version.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Ive just been busy

I also only ever check steam for people to play with

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm just not great at it and I get easily frustrated by doing poorly, so I usually just play solo except in a fun party setting

• Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    I just successfully guarded an edge for the first time EVER

A lot of the recoveries in this game are really good, so be sure to take advantage of the better ones and try to finish your opponent off the ledge.

It took me awhile to get used to chasing opponents off the ledge from fear of getting gimped, but it's so worth it to get a much earlier kill.

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    Just started using pit. I never actually can HIT people off stage so either I miss and they are guarding me, or I SD.

But I got two good hits on a Robin and his recovery isnt good, so game over.

Also, pit is the shit. "Whats up now!" I like his reach and toolkit.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I personally am always up for fun party type matches. Free for all smash is my favorite.

• Options
    I'm kinda sad that I will never really give robin a fair shake, but the tome mechanic is just not my bag at all

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Robin's sword hitboxes are super weird too.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Oh hey, I just got this last week and have been having fun with it. Probably can't play with any of you fine folks tonight, but should be able to this weekend.

FC: 3368-2762-7958

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    it kinda feels like they were trying to give Robin confusing-but-actually good hitboxes when the Levin Sword is out, since you get that subtle backwards hit on a down smash and other stuff that the standard sword doesn't have

but others are just busted no matter what sword you have active, like a few aerial attacks just...don't

I like the dumb bs that is the tome mechanic but it's really hard to notice the visual cues on the 3ds a lot of the time. Maybe it'll be more manageable on a tv screen?

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I'd be doing more multi, but the fact that I don't won't to break my circle pad and my connection would be terrible with you guys makes it hard.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Just started using pit. I never actually can HIT people off stage so either I miss and they are guarding me, or I SD.

But I got two good hits on a Robin and his recovery isnt good, so game over.

Also, pit is the shit. "Whats up now!" I like his reach and toolkit.

I've never had much trouble with Robin's recovery, as long as I don't do something stupid.

Elwind gets really good air.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Elwind gets really good air.
    Boooooooooooo

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.