As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WINDOWS PHONE] Windows Phone 8. From Very Small to Sorta Small.

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    Although one time I did play solitaire on my Lumia until it died, but that was before they fixed the battery eating bug.

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Wonderful...Maybe I could get one on a trial or something. 30 days to return and all that.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Only thing I miss on Windows phone is back app. And only thing I can't do is remote check deposit. I have Android tablet to do that.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    Does random work for anyone else in Xbox music? Before the new updates when it was integrated and now, it just doenst fucking work. Occasionally it will shuffle two songs before it just turns itself off. Most of the time though it just immediately turns itself off.

LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    bigwah wrote: »
    Does random work for anyone else in Xbox music? Before the new updates when it was integrated and now, it just doenst fucking work. Occasionally it will shuffle two songs before it just turns itself off. Most of the time though it just immediately turns itself off.

I'm barely acquainted with Xbox Music even at this point--how do you select a random song, I always do shuffle myself? I'll test it for you.

I really hate that little 'scrap' of audio we get after songs--sort of the exact opposite of gapless playback, ironically enough.

• bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    There is a stupid button that is hardly noticeable on the right side of the album art. What I'm trying to do specifically is start a playlist and not play it in order. I have never in my life wanted to play a playlist in order, and 'shuffle' not being the default baffles me.

LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    The only time shuffle gives me any troubles is when I try to shuffle my entire library. That and when I connect it to my cars Bluetooth, it takes shuffle off and I have to use my phone to turn shuffle back on... Yeah, I don't get that one. It's still more useable then it used to be and Live tiles are back. Yay. Though it's nothing new, just artist picture/name.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm beginning to lose hope that Verizon will push the 8.1 update to older phones.

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    They gave the date of late October for the 8X.

steam_sig.png
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Well, sad news. After T-Mobile tried to send me a 512 as a equivalent replacement for my broken 810, I've had to switch OSes. In their defense, T-Mobile did help me out, and give me a discount that my 810 would have gotten me. But I'm gonna be getting the LG G3. So we'll see how that goes.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    They gave the date of late October for the 8X.

Yeah, I saw that on WPCentral. Better late than never.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    So, it's not exactly windows phone, but I have a windows 8.1 tablet

is there ANY way to use windows phone apps on a windows tablet?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So, it's not exactly windows phone, but I have a windows 8.1 tablet

is there ANY way to use windows phone apps on a windows tablet?

If the app developer built a universal app, sure

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/develop/building-universal-Windows-apps

But they had to do this. If not, then nope.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    what a shame. there's decent spotify app for windows phone, but no app for the tablet market

sure I can use the regular spotify since it's a 32 bit tablet, but still

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    I have to use different YouTube apps for my tablet and phone. The annoying thing is if I could combine the two, they'd be a near perfect replacement for an actual first party app.

And I haven't looked in awhile, but the only working Google music app on the phone isn't free but the tablet version is.

That's one are I'm covered--MetroTube is great on WP8.1 and Windows 8.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/09/24/new-update-for-windows-phone-preview-for-developers/

-New developer preview update for WP8.1 out now
    -Additional HTC devices (8X, One M8 and 8S) can now enroll in developer preview and receive the latest build
    -Lumia Cyan rolling out to more devices this week. AT&T 920 is on the list now, I think.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    i cannot help but feel like Windows Phone 8 is about to become an abandoned project

with Windows 9 basically dumping Metro and with the non-surface windows tablet market in the toilet, it's hard to imagine a future where Windows and whatever Windows Phone 8 is continue to co-exist and co-develop as a unified touch computing platform

it took forever to go from 8.1 announcement to 8.1 general availability, and the Nokia wing of MS has been oddly silent since acquisition.

I openly wander if Windows Phone is headed for yet another fundamental overhaul, sending existing Lumia users up the creek.

I'm about to abandon my Lumia after only 7 months of ownership due to substandard hardware drivers (the touch screen drivers are awful), and a completely worthless app store that has only gotten worse, not better

Jasconius on
    Honestly, if I had to choose between going back to Android or iOS, I'd probably just go back to a dumb phone.

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    the Nokia wing of MS has been oddly silent since acquisition.
    Yeah, as long as you ignore the 830, 730/5, hints at a 1030, and Denim update announcement from... about 3 weeks ago.

steam_sig.png
    It's a little disappointing that they don't seem to have a clear new flagship phone ready to go this fall, but I am still hoping they'll announce something. The 930 isn't really new anymore, the 730/830 are clearly not flagship quality, and the 10xx line is really more of a niche phone series.

Only really matters to me because my 2-year will come up in November. My 920 is still trucking along just fine and a hell of a phone, though, so I wouldn't mind if I had to wait a bit longer to upgrade.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the Nokia wing of MS has been oddly silent since acquisition.
    Yeah, as long as you ignore the 830, 730/5, hints at a 1030, and Denim update announcement from... about 3 weeks ago.

please tell me what about Denim hasn't been known for months already. the fact that Denim is only now rolling around is damning for Microsoft

with Windows 9 basically dumping Metro
    I've heard this sentiment a few times and I am SUPER confused at where it comes from. The new start menu looks like a mash-up of the old one and the start screen. It puts metro right there on the desktop. Windows 9 supposedly lets you resize metro apps in their own windows on the desktop which would make it a whole lot more accessible to desktop users.

To me, it feels like there's been a steady uptick of updates since Nadella became CEO. I'm happy with my WP.

Arkyris wrote: »
    with Windows 9 basically dumping Metro
    I've heard this sentiment a few times and I am SUPER confused at where it comes from. The new start menu looks like a mash-up of the old one and the start screen. It puts metro right there on the desktop. Windows 9 supposedly lets you resize metro apps in their own windows on the desktop which would make it a whole lot more accessible to desktop users.

To me, it feels like there's been a steady uptick of updates since Nadella became CEO. I'm happy with my WP.

Excluding for internet sharing--which is T-Mobile's problem, I more and more suspect--I'm very happy with my Lumia 925 except for the still disappointing Xbox Music app. Music + Video was still substantially superior, in terms of usability, reliability and quick-response, whereas Xbox Music is very similar to the fairly mediocre music player we get on Android or iOS (in my own experience).

While some progress has been made (performance used to be worse, and we now have live tiles again), I'm waiting for them to fix that damn audio crack that plays between songs if you're playing through earbuds (doesn't happen on BT). Very damn annoying, especially since the handful of other music player apps don't have the issue...

edited September 2014
    I think my satisfaction with Xbox Music's performance comes from the fact that I have an Xbox Music pass and I haven't experienced that crack between tracks on my Lumia 920. Even for tracks I've dragged onto the device. (edit: I went back and tested later and the cracks are there, I just hadn't noticed)

Nearly all of my annoyances with the music app have been fixed up. Reading up on why the app took a such a dive in performance made me optimistic about the apps future. source

So I did a little bit of testing while writing this post. Music v 2.6.288.0 which I got on the 18th. Performance seems to have gotten another boost for loading library info, album covers were there within a second. The transitions between pages isn't as smooth as I remember from Music + Video. But to be honest it has been so long since I have used Music + Video that I can't really qualify the difference of performance.

I had to listen specifically for the crack sound between tracks. It's definitely there even for my sub music but it doesn't seem to happen on every track for me though but it happens more often then it doesn't. Once I noticed it though it was annoying enough to make me go to the UserVoice site and move more votes into gapless playback.

Hopefully they can start adding features soon instead of fixing what got busted.

The app they really need to fix is that damn alarm app. I mean c'mon Microsoft, you've got a decent alarm app on Windows 8 with a timer and a stopwatch and you've made everything else a universal app. Why don't you want to let me set a timer on my phone?

edit: make it less ambiguous about hearing the cracking sound.

Arkyris on
    edited September 2014
    Arkyris wrote: »
    I think my satisfaction with Xbox Music's performance comes from the fact that I have an Xbox Music pass and I haven't experienced that crack between tracks on my Lumia 920. Even for tracks I've dragged onto the device.

Nearly all of my annoyances with the music app have been fixed up. Reading up on why the app took a such a dive in performance made me optimistic about the apps future. source

You're not getting any cracking between tracks? Even for music that's not streamed (Pandora doesn't have the issue--it seems clear that this isn't an issue with streamed music)? Lucky you, but you seem to be in the minority if the Windows Phone Central forums are any indication. It's a very ubiquitous problem, confined to actually using the headphone jack (as oppose to Bluetooth headphones)--which has the unfortunate effect of saying, "You know, this works fine as a car music player or a internet radio streamer. Just don't use it as a MP3 player with earphones, okay?"

I doubt it has anything to do with Xbox Music pass ("here's a monthly pass to avoid experiencing an annoying bug, enjoy"), so maybe you've just lucked out. Perhaps you're unknowingly streaming your music since you have the pass, and your phone is just skipping over the songs stored on its drive, but that seems unlikely. Obviously, I'm not going to pick up a pass to maybe fix a problem like this (especially since Xbox Music is inclined to destroy all the tagging and IDing I've done for my own music collection). I'm considering clearly all the music from my phone and moving it back on and seeing if that helps, but I'm not optimistic. It doesn't help that apparently Microsoft isn't aware of the problem, and it might just because a matter of those of us who have it are stuck with it.

Synthesis on
    At the bottom of my post I posted corrections to being exempt from the transition crack sounds. I thought it was worthwhile to leave in the fact that I hadn't noticed the problem, until someone else pointed it out and I went back and specifically listened for it, as being important to my satisfaction with the app. I think it's just a case of how much that white noise between tracks impacts your listening experience. Gapless playback is the most requested feature on the UserVoice page so it seems important to a lot of people.

They've been told about the transition cracking issue. But if they bring in gapless playback that would theoretically fix the issue by getting rid of the transitions.

So yeah, definitely don't get a pass to get around the cracking sound, I just hadn't noticed it.

Please don't mistake all that for me saying that it's acceptable. It's not and I'm surprised that gapless playback wasn't built in functionality, people have been asking for gapless since Music + Video. I'm just more optimistic that they will get there... eventually.

Yeah, I'm actually 'anonymous' in that that 30-vote thread. I'm less optimistic seeing how there's no response, but hey, presumably gapless playback will fix this (though if you don't want it it enabled....?)

And it looks like my post (even after edit) was before you posted your results. No big deal, as I suspected, it's a common (or even universal) issue (though some songs are lucky enough to 'crack' a silent part) if you're using earbuds.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    It drives me nuts that every major firewall vendor has an SSL VPN app except Cisco.

Way to go Cisco.

Apothe0sis on
    Well, after only a few hours of it being rumored as existing, Microsoft has released a wearable fitness band. It's called... Microsoft Band.

http://www.microsoft.com/Microsoft-Band/en-us

For now, it's only available in US. Compatible with all three smartphone OSes, as long as your device supports Bluetooth 4.0LE. For Windows Phones, I think that should means anything running WP 8.1 and Lumia Cyan for Nokia devices.

It looks pretty good, though I can't help but think that 2 days of battery life (which is considered pretty good in the smartwatch category) just isn't good enough to adopt.

The band looks amazing- Best tethered-to-a-phone smartband / watch so far, I think

Way, way better than the apple watch..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    Yeah, it is crammed full of sensors (though maybe a dedicated altimeter would have been nice) and by not trying to make it imitate a watch visually I think they came up with a much better looking device. It hits a good pricepoint and plays well with every ecosystem. Seems like a pretty good product that'll go mostly ignored.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Eventually found what I was looking for in the podcast app. Nothing to see here

WingedWeasel on
    Given the sort of uninspiring disaster the 8.1 update was for my Lumia 925--breaking both internet sharing and music playback--I think I'm going to go ahead and just go Android next time.

As it stands, there's really no guarantee that another update isn't going to take a perfectly normal function--like internet sharing back in 8.0--and promptly break it, requiring Microsoft and Nokia spend the next 4 months tossing me back and forth trying to keep me from pestering them about "fixes" and "why isn't this working?" and other annoying questions like this.

If Windows 10 goes to all Lumia handsets next year, it might fix the music playback issue (or it might make it worse--I'd say this is a 50-50 split, more or less), but I've got very high confidence that it won't fix internet sharing, at all.

And seeing how I'm pretty sure I'm more likely to be struck by lightning than have Microsoft 1) replace my handset with one with 8.0 and thus works or 2) cover the $200+ cost of selling this phone and replacing it with a slightly inferior 830, I guess that's that. I'm really, really disappointed by all this--especially after everything seemed to work so well in 8.0.

Well, at least T-Mobile has a whole bunch of Android options.

It really sucks your 925 got borked by the update. My 928 has been flourishing with it.

McFlynn wrote: »
    It really sucks your 925 got borked by the update. My 928 has been flourishing with it.

It's a little comforting that the music playback cracking issue (for any phones updated from 8.0) is very rampant (we even have multiple cases in this thread alone).

If you don't have it (and have an 8.0 phone updated to 8.1) congratulations, but if Windows Central is any indication, you're in the fortunate minority.

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Eventually found what I was looking for in the podcast app. Nothing to see here

What app did you get @wingedWeasel I'm always looking for a better one.
    And what are people complaining about 925 not working right? I have noticed no issues. I was on developer preview on t-mobile. my phone updated, and firmware matches my wifes not on preview. I have had no issues? Maybe I have such bad hearing I can't tell the issue.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    I have an unlocked Lumia 925--which worked flawlessly in 8.0, only to be broken in 8.1, and Microsoft be totally unable to fix it.

Honestly, my plan is to flash my phone back into 8.0, and leave it like that. I like Cortana, but I like having things working and playback not buzzing more.

4 months will tire anyone out.

Synthesis wrote: »

It's a little comforting that the music playback cracking issue (for any phones updated from 8.0) is very rampant (we even have multiple cases in this thread alone).

If you don't have it (and have an 8.0 phone updated to 8.1) congratulations, but if Windows Central is any indication, you're in the fortunate minority.

@Synthesis‌ I finally experienced the cracking bug youre dealing with. It only happens with one album, the album I downloaded on the phone. Music I download with the Xbox music app on my PC, copythe mp3 files, and paste to my phone through the standard file explorer is completely unaffected.

I downloaded one album directly on my phone through the app and it cracks after each song. Any chance that's how you put your music on? Maybe its not a playback bug but a download bug.

Synthesis wrote: »

@Synthesis‌ I finally experienced the cracking bug youre dealing with. It only happens with one album, the album I downloaded on the phone. Music I download with the Xbox music app on my PC, copythe mp3 files, and paste to my phone through the standard file explorer is completely unaffected.

I downloaded one album directly on my phone through the app and it cracks after each song. Any chance that's how you put your music on? Maybe its not a playback bug but a download bug.

For me (and most people in the WC thread) it happens regardless of songs--I actually did a great deal of testing on this, and found it affected Xbox Music songs (which I only have a few of) and songs synced through Windows Media Player equally.

More recently, I found it had actually started effecting songs streamed through Pandora. I don't know if the situation actually changed or I somehow deluded myself into only noticing it for music playback. That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I hope it only effects those songs for you, in any case. I had a chance to test my music on a Lumia 830 and found, sure enough, the problem was gone (it was like I was listening to music on 8.0 again). Great, now I just have to wonder if WP 8.5 is going to break the same shit again whenever it comes about.