As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TERA] Game coming to an End in June

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Remade Skuttie on Tempest Reach, doesn't quite look the same looks more mischievous, anyway, sent a guild request.

As of leaving Noob Island I have

3 God Tears
    3 Idyllic Leaves
    3 Aurora Scarabs
    1 Kaelic Spark
    x amount of common materials

that should get me nice and funded on Tempest Reach for the noobie portion of the game

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I'm thinking about remaking my Warrior on Tempest Reach since there's a lot more people to play with around here. Getting back to 40 is gonna be annoying tho but now that I know what's worth keeping and to mine all the things and get all the plant parts etcetc, getting money shouldn't be that hard.

If you want I can start you off with a few 5 hour xp boosts to help you get up to speed quicker.

PSN: jfrofl
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Woooow. You can only buy funbucks in 10, 20, 40, or 100 dollar bundles? Fuuuuck thaaaat.

Virtually anything you could buy from the cash shop you can also buy for in-game gold through the trade broker. Just don't fall for some of the gimmicky prices. Basically, a gold:points ratio of 11:1 or 12:1 is fair. More than that, someone is gouging.
    Yeah, I know, but I wanted that stupid police car right now to annoy Corrigan with, but I ain't sinking 30 bucks into the game just for that I mean, I could have done 25, but 30 is a bit too much.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Ianator wrote: »
    Slayer isn't quite as satisfying as Berzerker; all my specials have a windup time and don't go off until the enemy's already dead. Still pretty fun but it really makes me wish we had Monster Hunter Frontier or something.
    The trick with Slayers is to correctly use their "if you use X then Y will come out almost instantly" links and abilities. If you've not unlocked them yet just wait a bit, like many classes Slayers don't really get most of their class kit until level 20 or so.

Do slayers still have the 1, 2, 58 leveling scheme? Or was that just a short time after they were introduced?

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Slayer isn't quite as satisfying as Berzerker; all my specials have a windup time and don't go off until the enemy's already dead. Still pretty fun but it really makes me wish we had Monster Hunter Frontier or something.
    The trick with Slayers is to correctly use their "if you use X then Y will come out almost instantly" links and abilities. If you've not unlocked them yet just wait a bit, like many classes Slayers don't really get most of their class kit until level 20 or so.

It'd probably help if I went back to the Tactics Instructor. I've probably got one or two more abilities waiting to be unlocked, one of which is probably a Spacebar-combo one.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Do slayers still have the 1, 2, 58 leveling scheme? Or was that just a short time after they were introduced?
    No idea, my highest level even after all this time is like 43!

• ZombieSheepZombieSheep Registered User regular
    I'm like level 28 slayer and all I use is whirlwind, knockdown strike, and chain overhead. Other skill I just have not find the reason to use them. I think partly is due to the avatar weapon is so powerful that most fights are over in two combos anyways. I haven't find a reason to use anything else in bam fights either, mostly because you wouldn't have time to use anything else or you would be kissing the floor.

Leap seems like it could be cool, but usually overhead will reach anything you knockaway anyways. I'm guessing pvp will change my mind somehow.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    20 ... 22? Slayer.

Just got the "long-ranged" sword swing. So, I kinda like to start by doing 1 of 2 things (mana permitting):

1. Charge, into combo'd knockdown, into combo'd overhead, into whirlwind or 4-hit regular attack, into combo'd overhead
    2. Ranged, ranged, ranged, into knockdown, proceed as above.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Tera for Steam will apparently have the option to buy EMP funbucks with the funds from your Steam Wallet. Apparently Tera isn't the first En Masse-published game on Steam with that ability- they already have ZMR (Zombies Monsters Robots) up there, so the framework is already in place.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    A big problem with TERA showing up on Steam would be that you couldn't rename the launcher. Which is a game-breaker, really.

Actually, even if you still launch it from the desktop, I think it'd detect it and still run it. If you launch a Steam Game from the shortcut, doesn't it also launch all the Steam stuff attached to it?

steam_sig.png
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    A big problem with TERA showing up on Steam would be that you couldn't rename the launcher. Which is a game-breaker, really.

I'm generally OK with this, since En Masse has no specific date in mind and is still in the "plugging in the Steam bits" stage of things. And we don't have to use the Steam version if we don't want to, but it will have cool Steam functionality included.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    edited October 2014
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Actually, even if you still launch it from the desktop, I think it'd detect it and still run it. If you launch a Steam Game from the shortcut, doesn't it also launch all the Steam stuff attached to it?

Ususally, yeah. I think it's if the program in question uses Steam as DRM which most things do but IIRC some don't.

Kalnaur wrote: »

I'm generally OK with this, since En Masse has no specific date in mind and is still in the "plugging in the Steam bits" stage of things. And we don't have to use the Steam version if we don't want to, but it will have cool Steam functionality included.

"Don't have to use the Steam version". That's a good one, that is. ;)

On a more seroious note, En Masse doesn't publish the European version so I'm probably stuck with the non-Steam one regardless to play with you fine folks. Which is fine. And I can rename my launcher. So it's all good. :+1:

Jazz on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Steam TERA will also have trading cards.

Just sayin.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Just sayin.

... those are going to make some money once they become available.

• ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    Met my first Naga Warlord today.

Damn.

That is all.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2014
    ironsizide wrote: »
    Met my first Naga Warlord today.

Damn.

That is all.

Of all the BAMs I've ever met, those were the biggest pains in the ass yet. Well, them and those things in the forest area, the four-legged sleeping monsters that get pissed as hell when you wake them up.

Edit: I think they're called Fimbrilisks. in the Popori Forest.

Kalnaur on
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Just sayin.

... those are going to make some money once they become available.

Especially since it's an F2P game so the only way to get the cards will be to spend money in the game cash shop (what it is, 1 card per $9? I forget) ... so the prices will stay artificially higher than they already would be for being boob cards.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    Those damn ballsacks with eyes and arms give me the most trouble, almost all their attacks look the same and the telegraphs are short and the "I'm doing X attack!" generally comes at the end.

Those damn ballsacks with eyes and arms give me the most trouble, almost all their attacks look the same and the telegraphs are short and the "I'm doing X attack!" generally comes at the end.

Actually, now that I think of it those sound right. Are they the cyclopian effers that breath fire? I looked up the Fimbrilisk and those things aren't hard at all.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    The hardest BAM types were usually Nagas early on. Some of the Argon types were obnoxious but they became easier across the board when they nerfed them from being MH style attrition slogs

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    edited October 2014

Actually, now that I think of it those sound right. Are they the cyclopian effers that breath fire? I looked up the Fimbrilisk and those things aren't hard at all.

Yes, these things!

I'm sure there's harder but these things have been the biggest hurdle up to 40.

?.jpg

SkutSkut on
    The "attack" I dislike the most with BAMs (as in, it's not fun at all) is when they decide to go for a walk. There's no tell for it, they will do it even at point blank range, a single hit will knock you down and you get hit like 20 times before they finally clip their way through you entirely.
    It's painful on a Zerker and a downright death sentence on a Slayer.

Yes, these things!

?.jpg

I fucking hate those things. I look forward to the day our TTT teams get there so we can lay them low.

That's a face not even a mother could love.

That's a face that deserves to get smashed in by all four groups of TTT.

steam_sig.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Yes, these things!

?.jpg

I fucking hate those things. I look forward to the day our TTT teams get there so we can lay them low.

These guys are actually one of the most challenging BAMs for melee classes in the game.

With a ranged character they are easy at first until you get to the higher level ones where they move fast enough that you can no longer kite them without understanding your class CC very well, and then they are hardish but still doable.

But they always suck on melee. This was the only regular BAM type that I couldn't consistently solo as a slayer (without being really overleveled) until I encountered the gorilla thingies at level 60 (which are sooooo not worth fighting even with a group, they have so much health it's dumb).

Then when I leveled my archer I took extra time from questing just to farm them in a never-ending hate-fueled revenge spree.

The "attack" I dislike the most with BAMs (as in, it's not fun at all) is when they decide to go for a walk. There's no tell for it, they will do it even at point blank range, a single hit will knock you down and you get hit like 20 times before they finally clip their way through you entirely.
    It's painful on a Zerker and a downright death sentence on a Slayer.

It is widely understood (and has been expressed on the Tera NA forums many times) that if the devs were to code a BAM that just does the walk it would be the hardest mob in the game by far.

Yes, these things!

?.jpg

These guys are actually one of the most challenging BAMs for melee classes in the game.

With a ranged character they are easy at first until you get to the higher level ones where they move fast enough that you can no longer kite them without understanding your class CC very well, and then they are hardish but still doable.

But they always suck on melee. This was the only regular BAM type that I couldn't consistently solo as a slayer (without being really overleveled) until I encountered the gorilla thingies at level 60 (which are sooooo not worth fighting even with a group, they have so much health it's dumb).

Then when I leveled my archer I took extra time from questing just to farm them in a never-ending hate-fueled revenge spree.

My mage had a fuck of a hard time with them solo.

Yes, these things!

?.jpg

Sorry, you got me there. Sorcerer is the only class that I haven't leveled to 50ish.

I confess to being ignorant of its intricacies.

Hmm. Also I leveled Mystic to 60 way back when so my Mystic experience is also completely different than what it would be like to level one now with weak orbs and powerful thralls (way back when we had powerful orbs and silly little thralls that you didn't even bother slotting on your quickbar).

Yes, these things!

?.jpg

Sorry, you got me there. Sorcerer is the only class that I haven't leveled to 50ish.

Hmm. Also I leveled Mystic to 60 way back when so my Mystic experience is also completely different than what it would be like to level one now with weak orbs and powerful thralls (way back when we had powerful orbs and silly little thralls that you didn't even bother slotting on your quickbar).

The biggest problem with sorcs is they need more side dodgy ability. Their only real dodges are backwards, and one that teleports in the direct you face. All of them have too long a cooldown to face those things down because they move so freaking fast.

I finally downed that naga warlord AND got the stinkin drop off of him for the quest. Some one always came in to help me kill him, so I don't know if it's because I didn't do enough damage overall the first 5 kills or if the scale armor fragment he drops is just an awful drop rate.

I also have like 5-6 Bastion of Lok 5-man quests sitting in my log. So if the stars align and anyone can use me next TTT, I'm good to go.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    ironsizide wrote: »
    I finally downed that naga warlord AND got the stinkin drop off of him for the quest. Some one always came in to help me kill him, so I don't know if it's because I didn't do enough damage overall the first 5 kills or if the scale armor fragment he drops is just an awful drop rate.

I also have like 5-6 Bastion of Lok 5-man quests sitting in my log. So if the stars align and anyone can use me next TTT, I'm good to go.

Yes, these things!

?.jpg

The biggest problem with sorcs is they need more side dodgy ability. Their only real dodges are backwards, and one that teleports in the direct you face. All of them have too long a cooldown to face those things down because they move so freaking fast.

Not that it's particularly helpful with Fangspawn type BAMs, but the way to deal with one-directional dodges is typically to dodge through the BAM.

With back-step type dodges you turn and backstep through the BAM. This requires a bit of practice and of course you need to have a very good time-sense for the i-frame of your dodge. Obviously since Fangspawns have the annoying spinning attack they can hit you with that if you dodge through them, which is why they are hateful to fight with a slayer.

However, against BAMs in general waiting until they start an attack (that you know isn't a 360) and then dodging through them is a safe bet very often. There are some fights where this isn't the case, and obviously if you are tanking you do not want to do this because turning the boss around at all the rear-attacking party members is horrible, but this maneuver is critical to soloing BAMs.

Archer isn't too different from Sorc in this regard, both have a backstep with a decent iframe, and then an attack-based backstep that has a negligible iframe (use with caution in other words).

Fangspawns do have a couple attacks where it is safe to dodge through them. You can also of course turn to the side and backstep if you need lateral movement.

Really, the occasions where you should backstep directly backwards are less common than situations where you want to turn before doing it to aim to the side or through the mob so get used to that maneuver.

I found that the teleport works well for "dodge right through". I'm not good with figuring out "i-frames", though. It seems like more of a fighting game thing, and I've never been the greatest at those. Also, I think that at the moment, my level 41 sorcerer has it so that whenever I do an action, it uses camera orientation, because too often I'd twitch the controller while meaning to throw a Magma Bomb in one direction and get it tossed in a different direct.

edited October 2014
    My Zerker is such easy mode compared to my Slayer. Oh, a new BAM? I'll just put up my block, see all its moves and it'll max out my mana while it's banging its head against my axe, then I can kill it when I know the timing. And the solution to every single problem is to block.

Not nearly as satisfying, though. Being an iframe ballerina and taking down a BAM without taking a hit feels like victory.

Glal on
    I found that the teleport works well for "dodge right through". I'm not good with figuring out "i-frames", though. It seems like more of a fighting game thing, and I've never been the greatest at those. Also, I think that at the moment, my level 41 sorcerer has it so that whenever I do an action, it uses camera orientation, because too often I'd twitch the controller while meaning to throw a Magma Bomb in one direction and get it tossed in a different direct.

iframe sense is something that you acquire by playing a lot and getting hit a lot and dying a alot (less now than at launch when the game was measurably harder).

Currently with the avatar weapons rendering normal mobs easy and BAMs being reduced in strength (until something like level 48-52ish I don't remember the exact cut-off, but beyond that BAMs jump in strength back to being scary) the best way to acquire the timing and iframe sense is to solo lots of BAMs.

I am not good at video games, just in comparison to the average G&Ter you could say I am moderately bad at video games in general, and rather terrible at action games in particular. I have sunk a lot of time into Tera (way too much) and I can assure you that even if you are actually shitty at video games, the iframe timing will come to you.

As I ease into BAMs I am definitely feeling more of the Monster Hunter vibe. I wish I could use both long sword and bows in this game! Still lots of ducking and weaving and positioning.

I may have to try and archer but switch from controller to KBAM to aim a little more effectively.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    edited October 2014
    My Zerker is such easy mode compared to my Slayer. Oh, a new BAM? I'll just put up my block, see all its moves and it'll max out my mana while it's banging its head against my axe, then I can kill it when I know the timing. And the solution to every single problem is to block.

Not nearly as satisfying, though. Being an iframe ballerina and taking down a BAM without taking a hit feels like victory.

I leveled Mystic to 50, took a break, came back and leveled Slayer to 60 and then Mystic to 60, then leveled Archer to 60. Meanwhile I was slowly working on Lancer (currently 52) and Priest (currently 50) and ignoring Zerker based on a shallow attempt to play one long ago and also ignoring Sorc based on multiple failed attempts to like the class (currently 40-something).

Then I ended up rolling a Zerker to duo with a friend (who was playing Priest). His complaint throughout everything was "It's like you don't even need me!"

We duoed everything up through Necromancer's Tomb, and the number of occasions I actually needed healing that weren't a direct result of my furiously attempting to regain aggro from the bored priest were few and far between.

But yeah, Slayer is more satisfying by far when you pull off incredible stuff. My greatest solo accomplishment was soloing a quest-boss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WGUPkOmq7U

This fight.

This fight is mostly considered un-soloable, and brave people duo. Safe people trio it, with a healer. This video does not properly express the actual difficulty of trying to solo this fight, as the add phases are simply not anything similar with a duo as they are when solo (the add mobs will gib you if you get caught up in the them, period).

Yes, I felt awesome.

(also this fight took these guys around 18 minutes with a duo, it took me 25 minutes solo)

Regina Fong on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Side dodges on sorcs and priests had to be skilled slightly. Higher level play involved snapping your camera to three or nine o'clock and hitting the backdash skill

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    Beezel wrote: »
    Side dodges on sorcs and priests had to be skilled slightly. Higher level play involved snapping your camera to three or nine o'clock and hitting the backdash skill

And archers.

The only classes that have a directional dodge are warriors and slayers. Everyone else has backsteps, except for zerkers and mystics who don't have a dodge skill (mystics do have a teleport).