As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scary Movies (Not the stupid series)

VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
edited October 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
With Halloween tomorrow, my girlfriend and I decided we'd like to stay home and try to scare ourselves shitless with some scary movies. Problem is, neither one of us watch the horror genre nor are we fans of gore that modern horror seems to love so we are at a loss of what to watch. Only thing we can come up with is Poltergeist, which she hasn't seen so we'll be starting with that. Then I was thinking The Exorcist since it's been a decade or so since I've seen it and I remember it scaring the hell out of me, but I'd like 2 or 3 more to make sure we don't run out of scares and I'm out of ideas.

If you could recommend one scary movie to people who don't watch scary movies that was minimal in gore and will make us turn the lights back on, what would it be?

Veevee on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ju On scares the piss out of me, and I wouldn't consider it particularly gory.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Grave Encounters.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    The Woman in Black is pretty good if you can get past it starring Harry Potter playing a character he isn't really old enough to play. Mama is another one that made me turn all the lights on between my couch and my bedroom when I watched it. Neither has any gore as far as I can remember.

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    The others
    The ring
    blair witch project
    jacobs ladder

• Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    I love scary movies, the most recent one that I really enjoyed was The Conjuring. Insidious was a good watch, as was Sinister.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Seconding Jacob's Ladder. My favorite horror movie of all time. It is so, so good.

Flatliners is great too.

*Holy shit whatever you do don't google image search Jacob's Ladder with safesearch off though uggggh my eyeeees.... Fucking google.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    The Shining isn't really a "turn the lights back on horror movie", but it is fantastic. And atmospherically, fits the halloween vibe quite well.

My go-to scary movie is probably The Grudge. It doesn't matter how many times I watch that movie, it scares the shit outta me every single time. Not a whole lot of gore (although there are a couple scenes that could be described as gory it's definitely not a theme of the movie), but it is creapy as fuck.

• Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    The Orphanage - only scary movie I've ever had to pause and remind myself that it's just a movie. Subtitled though (which I think is part of what helped suck me in)
    Pan's Labyrinth was delightfully dark, though not precisely horror
    Freaks (1932) was weird and absorbing, but the pace is very different from more modern movies
    Conjuring, Awakening, and American Mary were also enjoyable flicks

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ju On is the original Japanese version of The Grudge, FYI.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I figured I should look that up to see if it was already mentioned, but laziness got the best of me.

I haven't seen Ju On, so I can't compare the two. Have you seen The Grudge?

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    No but it looked... Americanized. Which isn't necessarily bad? Some day I'll sit down and watch them in succession, but like I said, I thought Ju On was terrifying.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    The funny thing is that I thought The Grudge felt very Japanese. And not just aestetically since it takes place in Japan. The sound direction was especially not what you'd expect from an American movie. It was kinda Kubrickian in that sense of really knowing how to use quiet as a sound.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Hm. I should really do that soon.

During the day.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    The first time I was it, it was late at night and I was alone in a hotel while on a business trip. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The Descent is my favorite horror movie but it has some gore.
    Other (fairly recent) options:
    - The Sacrament (Culty, faux documentary style)
    - Willow Creek (found footage Bigfoot movie)
    - Evidence (found footage monster movie - for what it's worth, I highly recommend this movie. It goes to places you'd never think it would - in a good way.)
    - Afflicted (Documentary style vampire movie)
    - The Conjuring (demonic possession)

I could go on.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Afflicted is so awesome.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    The Paranormal Activity and Final Destination series.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Alien, hands down.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    The funny thing is that I thought The Grudge felt very Japanese. And not just aestetically since it takes place in Japan. The sound direction was especially not what you'd expect from an American movie. It was kinda Kubrickian in that sense of really knowing how to use quiet as a sound.

FWIW, the same guy directed both the original and the remake.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Prime wrote: »
    I love scary movies, the most recent one that I really enjoyed was The Conjuring. Insidious was a good watch, as was Sinister.

Insidious creeped me out.

I also recommend The Grudge and Ring

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    There's a lot of great suggestions here. We kept with the demonic possession angle we were building and went with the Conjuring after Exorcist and it was sufficiently scary but then we ran out of time. Adding all these to the list

• Options
    Hey if you do the Ju On/Grudge marathon thing let us know how it was.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    They (which is terrifically creepy)

Splice (it gets really weird though)

Afflicted (mentioned above, but worth recommending for some of the astoundingly good first person camera scenes alone)

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    The Thing is awesome (the original one, not the prequel/remake/whatever)

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Ju-On and The Grudge are both pretty much the same movie there is some bits in The Grudge that are added from Ju-On 2 and like most Asia to US remakes they explain more than they need to. The sound the ghost makes in Ju-On is more pronounced and noticeable than in The Grudge.

I saw Ju-On years before The Grudge came out so I might be a bit biased towards liking the original than the remake, I have the same thoughts on Ringu(The Ring) and Kairo (Pulse).

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Uncle PKUncle PK Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    V/H/S

watch the sequel too (V/H/S 2), mainly because it contains Safe Haven, which is the most horrifying film out of both anthologies, probably the horror genre as a whole.

ceres on
  • Options
    Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    [REC] is the most terrifying movie I have ever seen. The last five minutes are the most uncomfortable I have ever been watching a film and to this day, even though I have seen it at least four times, I still have to look away when it gets to the ending. Do not watch the American remake, it sucks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I know Halloween is over and all that... BUT...

I watched a 1980s horror movie called The Possession over Halloween weekend. Holy. Shit. I don't know man... I don't know. It had what had to be one of the most effective, simple, and horrifyingly disturbing scenes I have ever seen in a movie. If you've seen it, you know the one.
    In the subway.

If you have any interest at all, don't watch the trailer. Give way too much away.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Splinter is an amazing indie horror movie.

Feast was actually pretty ok as well.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I couldn't tell you why, exactly, but White Noise legitimately creeped me out far more than any other horror movie I've ever seen.

Static on the tv at 2am a few nights later had me turning all of the lights on everywhere.

It's not a very good movie, honestly, but it creeped me out.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

Seconded Splinter, fantastic little movie, great effects, simple plot.

Feast is a great horror, black comedy parody? It makes fun of some horror tropes but still manages to be a fun, yet stupid horror flick.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

Seconded Splinter, fantastic little movie, great effects, simple plot.

Feast is a great horror, black comedy parody? It makes fun of some horror tropes but still manages to be a fun, yet stupid horror flick.

Agreed on both, but I think both are a bit gory for what he's looking for

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Just to reiterate how effective a scare V/H/S is, listen to this guy talk about it:

He had no interest in the film and hates found-footage movies, but said it was the scariest movie he's seen all year

ceres on
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Apparently people think Dawn of the Dead is a scary movie.

I always found it to be a comedy.

Honestly though, despite their age, pretty much everything Hitchcock did is gold.

Priest on
  • Options
    This is not an NSFW thread. Please stop linking videos that are NSFW, especially if the preview image is.

• Options
    My apologies!

• Options
    007ctrl_room007ctrl_room Registered User regular
    Event Horizon.

LFGdating | In twenty years I'll still be playing Red Alert ... and Goldeneye.
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    As a big fan of horror I can second and recommend a few title

Alien
    The Thing (the original and the prequel - while note as good still a decent film)
    VHS 1 and 2
    Ju-on or The Grudge (both are good)
    Event Horizon (one of my favorites)
    Mama
    Sweeny Todd

If you can tolerate gore I would recommend the Hatchet Trilogy. Its basically a love letter to the 80's slasher genre and stars Kane Hodder (The best Jason) with apperances by just about every actor that played a iconic horror villain. From Robert England, Tony Todd, the guy who played Leather Face, and the guy who played Jason in the Friday Remake (also a really good film)

• Options
    i keep wanting to recommend all the horrible horror movies i've seen. the ones that are so bad they are funny.