As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Week 9

NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade UsernameRegistered User regular
edited September 2021 in Artist's Corner
---

NightDragon on

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Really awesome stuff, ND.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    holy shit those are fucking dope

the best one for showing the accuracy of your colour choice is the snowy one at the bottom

from a distance it looks perfect, colourwise

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    So are you going to get feedback from the teacher?

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
    Cool, I'm really curious about the quality of feedback and I hope you'll give us some idea of what hes telling you as you go along. I think it would be informative for us as spectators, and also probably good advertising for the class itself. summarizing feedback here may also be a good way to internalize it (but I also just selfishly want to know how in depth it is if I want to take a class, I am still considering online watts)

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of it, and seeing you produce some slightly more regular work, especially with direct feedback from someone with such solid skills.

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Those are awesome!
    He made a good point about softening some areas.

edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
  • kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    Ooh! I took this class earlier this year. It's really great. It all fell apart at the seams for me when we had to work from value into colour, though, since that's one thing I have never been able to deal with. It just...feels wrong. I'd take his composition class when it comes out, but I just can't afford to drop a grand on these things anymore. It's a shame.

You'll get a lot out of it, especially with your experience. Made me realise I have to work on composition and fundamental drawing skills a whole lot more.

edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2014
    I love what you've done with the two in the top right hand corner especially - the values manage (I think) to tell a stronger story than the originals, at least in thumbnail form.

edit: the wet city street in the middle, I feel like it could have used more of the lightest shade in the street itself? to evoke the reflective nature of the surface. But I know it's tough with only 3 values.

tynic on
    edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Wait. You made each of these studies in under an hour?

edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Wait. You made each of these studies in under an hour?

To be totally honest, I'm not completely sure how long I spent on most of these, though the "under an hour" requirement seemed only explicitly stated for the first week's assignments. For the second week, because these were much further simplified and didn't have all the intricacies as the first week's assignment, I generally think I did spent under an hour on each. I didn't really keep track but I had a vague sense sometimes.

The first week I think I spent just over an hour on a few (whoops), and 15-20 minutes on the super quick ones. The second week I think the fastest were done in 15-30 minutes, and I may have taken just under an hour for the very complex ones.

guhhh howwwww

I'm sure your answer will be practice and experience, but…

Dang. That's really awesome. Keep at it. If I wanted to make anything look even 25% as good as those, it would probably take me like 18 hours.

• KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    Are these studies meant to be built on top of or would you put them to the side and use them as a visual aid when starting a real painting?

edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
    edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
  • KallistiKallisti Registered User regular
    Wow I really like the second one. Did you do the thumbnails first or the props?

• OllieOllie Registered User regular
    holy shit these are fantastic. How do I schoolism? I NEED TO SCHOOLISM. o____o

actually I have a question...how do you motivate yourself to stay on top of your work? I've never been good at any online courses.

• NatriNatri Registered User regular
    Absolutely wonderful! So these are done without reference? Really beautiful work.

www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
    Agree with Kallisti - Reverence is brilliant, the values feel perfect.

Terror might work better from the guy's perspective. From up here I feel a bit removed and not very scared.

Really enjoying this thread, keep it up!

• Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    You continue to be an inspiration to me, ND. Keep on keepin' on.

edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    These are some handsome studies, week 1 in particular is great.

The latest assignment looks interesting, a bit tough, and very subjective. Personally, I read the gesture of monster in the Terror piece as being a little closer to "talk to the hand" than "rar I'm gonna get you". It's a sassy demon. I think Reverence is probably the most successful one of the bunch, even if it is a little bit on the nose conceptually.

Scosglen on
    edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
  • kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    This is all really subjective, and all those thumbs read nicely, but I feel like you relied more on what your subject matter is to get the emotion, rather than the shape language itself. I mean, i get reverence, because there's a giant statue of a praying woman. I get terror, cause there's a huge monster in there. I get mystery, because it's foggy and there's ghosts. But if the subjects were left out, or replaced, or left vague, what could be done to make the simple shapes of the environment suggest the same emotion? You also have a similar value structure in a lot of the thumbs, going from dark to light, and being generally low-key. I did too, and I got chewed out a bit for it.

Post your crits when you get 'em, because this kind of stuff is easy to pick at but reaaaallly hard to try and improve on - these are all good, so it'd be interesting to see what Nathan says.

kevindee on
    edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
    So is your end goal pretty much totally photo-realistic work? What do you consider to be "too cartoony", out of curiosity?

edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
    edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
  • OllieOllie Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Sorry if you already described this and I just missed it...but when you do work like that, do you create the object first and the scenery second? If so, do you paint over the object or just do a whole new piece?

also this last thing is siiiiiiq

Ollie on
    edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
    edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
    edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
    Some foreground elements would do wonders for this one, but I do like the playful shape of the building. I feel like I need something in there for scale.

edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
    edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on
    I feel like the bottom two are the only ones that have potential to really show off your theme, as the others are so pulled back they feel almost ghostly. I think you can really get a grand sense from the bottom right and still get in some context and detail in the middle and forground. You'll have more opportunities to get your materials in play a little more up close, where on the other two it would only be suggested.

• NatriNatri Registered User regular
    My favorite is the bottom right one. If you're going for verticality, I think the more square composition of the right one helps emphasize that, compared to the wider comp of the bottom left. Iruka also made a good point about the possibility for detail up close.

P.S.
    I am friggin jealous of your overall skill level.

www.instagram.com/ceneven
    edited September 2021
    ---

NightDragon on