As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [DOODLE] Thread for the Ages. [NSFW]

• sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
    Thanks NightDragon. You're right, the left side is a bit dull. It was a bit like that in the reference but what's the point of painting it if you can't change bits you don't like eh.

NlNneJ3l.jpg

Wassermelone (I always read that as Wasser-mole for some reason) thanks dude! I hadn't seen his paintings before but they are awesome. Will do a couple of studies.

• AmmalineAmmaline Registered User regular
    All of Eyvind Earle's work is spectacular, but he's behind a lot of the backgrounds in Sleeping Beauty, and those are just amazing -- highly encourage everyone to check those out if you haven't already!

My art tumblr
    3DS : 2165-5535-6036
  • EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
    su77jo5t6kik.jpg

hmm... really not sure on this one....

1.jpg 257.2K
    Been working on a couple of Eyvind Earle studies. How do I do the water under this wave?? Draw the lines? Draw the 'gaps' or whatever you want to call the globular shapes? I tried three times and it didn't look good.

4SREdKhl.jpg

cGKfJ2nl.jpg

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Been working on a couple of Eyvind Earle studies. How do I do the water under this wave?? Draw the lines? Draw the 'gaps' or whatever you want to call the globular shapes? I tried three times and it didn't look good.

I'd do this by making things on separate layers.

First, clean up the shadow'd edge and make the shadow straight black. Make sure that line is crisp.

Second, on another layer, draw in some of the lines. Make sure to cross over the shadow'd edge at least a little bit (emphasized in mine).

Third, lock the transparency on the "lines layer", and paint in the proper light and dark blues (the darker blue on the shadow'd section of the wave, and the lighter section on the lit lower half. Make sure to line up the two colors with the line of the shadow'd edge). After that, you can go back to the main base layer, and set your brush's blending mode to "darken color"...this will allow you to paint that darker blue behind/in between those lines, without interfering with the darker wave shadow. Add globules on a separate layer to your heart's delight, and lock the transparency to change the colors of individual globules with ease. Once you've done all of that you can go back to the main layer again and paint in the shiny areas between globules (which will be easy, as it will be under the globules layer).

There are a few similar ways to do it, but that's more or less how I'd approach that. :)

isscwedocil1.jpg

NightDragon on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Alternatively you could take the Anthony Clark approach and just use the lasso tool.

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Frank, try writing down a few things about her. Where is she from? Why did she become a bounty hunter? How did she lose the eye? What kind of planet(s) does she operate on? What kind of (or species of) criminal is she usually hunting. Some of these things will influence how she's dressed and what sort of equipment she keeps on her.

From a concept point of view, I notice a couple of things. What does she do if her target is too close for a rifle? (Pistol needed probably, or a stun gun, maybe knives or tranq syringe?). What does she do with them once she catches them? (Handcuffs? Something different and cooler if they're alien?). Her hair is up, but I think it still looks a little untamed considering she's got only 1 eye. (Maybe a really tight bun or a helmet?)

Try to give her concept some kind of unique selling point. Maybe it's that she restrains her captives by shifting them forward a day in time, and by then she's got a small portable cell waiting for them. Maybe she's youngish boy, dressed as a woman so he's able to get work that he's really underage for. Those are two fairly bad ideas - but that's the hard part, making her original in some way. Otherwise you're not selling a concept so much as a drawing, and then the drawing had better be pretty awesome.

On the drawing side, you are heading towards the fairly flat face your last guy had originally. Make sure you work on that!

Keep it up man you are putting out some good work.

Frank, you need to do thumbs, silhouettes, development sketches. There is no way around that. You need to do studies.

It feels like you're always tempted to jump right into rendering your first idea, but you will never get a job as a concept artist if this is what you continue to do. This is actually not even limited to concept art. I can't really think of any professional 2D artist job that doesn't require or benefit hugely from some preliminary work to be done. Concept art is hugely about preliminary work, though. It's about exploration more than it's about rendering.

It was really, really great to see all those sketches for the tower that you did! But you need to keep doing that kind of stuff, MUCH more than you're doing any of your rendered drawings. It is your weakest area, IMO - "concept development".

If you seriously just did studies rather than these rendered characters straight from your head...if you spent like, 90% of your art-time doing studies and kept 10% for rendered things that you find fun, and you drew at least a few times a week, and you kept up with that for a year? 6 months? A single month? I guarantee that you'll see so much more improvement than you ever have within that same time period.

If you want to learn how to make more convincing faces, you need to draw many different faces from reference/life. If you want to learn how to draw more dynamic poses, you have to draw many gesture studies. If you want to understand sci-fi design cues, you need to draw many different sci-fi environments, costumes, props, mechanical photographs, etc! From reference.

I want to see you get to where you want to be, but you have to put in work in the right areas. You could continue to develop characters like this and you might eventually get there, but you might not. Doing studies and practicing things you're weak in and not confident in will help you improve hugely compared to doing the same rendered static characters from your head. Try to take it as a challenge, make it fun! You get to develop a world down to the smallest detail...you get to explore all the cultures of the world and all the design cues in every movie and all the gun designs and costume designs, and etc...all that will help you gain a font of knowledge that will improve your created characters by leaps and bounds.

• zapattackzapattack Registered User regular
    Halloween!
    PLIS0Kw.jpg

www.stevenzapata.com
    instagram.com/stevenzapata_art
    Really cool! Parrot-guy looks super concerned.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Did these illustrations today for a school project. All pretty hastily done, but eh.
    b7aibrnhyja3.png
    2ufv9vi7pd74.png
    fuz74x9i9c12.png
    saloppa98fnp.png

m3nace on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2014
    Again trying to train myself to think and measure and be deliberate before I noodle with stuff- ink sketches with no underdrawing. First two pages are brushpen/freehand only, with the movie stills I've got a ballpoint and a t-square helping me out.
    doodles2014_10_29.jpg

Hopefully some of this helps and it's not just an exercise in art masochism.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Older ballpoint-only studies:
    doodles2014_10_29-2.jpg

Cute boxy cars are easier to draw than slick supercars, I think.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    @m3nace‌ them Minoguards are about to tip the fuck over, homie

Bacon, those studies are beautiful!

edited November 2014
    They're Michael Jackson minoguards holmes.

Anyways, here's a wip. I call it "Fuck everything about construction"
    nfk3hawe9qg1.png
    I guess eventually I also chose a shitty angle to showcase the headless bikeman having one hand on the handle and the other holding the helmet.

m3nace on
    30tkymg.jpg

• Uncle PKUncle PK Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    -

Uncle PK on
    Calling this done.
    tumblr_nef9qwYuSa1s37o1ho1_500.png

edited November 2014
    -

Uncle PK on
  • Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    Don't care none 'bout proportions or line quality.
    Just drawing because I now have legal access to Photoshop and it is wonderful.
    Doodle on ya'll.
    ORwzDxb.jpg

edited November 2014
    -

Uncle PK on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    -

Uncle PK on
    F87 wrote: »
    hands
    nfg6ofqbmt5n.png

Even in these 8 samples, I can see improvement over the first few. Keep going! moar moar.

• zapattackzapattack Registered User regular
    www.stevenzapata.com
    instagram.com/stevenzapata_art
    edited November 2014
    -

Uncle PK on
    2dwazgj.jpg

• Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    I like sci-fantasy.
    MTK6sVq.jpg

that's cause you're a nerd

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    I'm so goddamn slow when it comes to drawing, so I've started a goal to do one 30 minute drawing every day, including time to find references.

Ozd344L.jpg

Getting only this much done in half an hour feels bad, but hey that's why I'm practising.

• OllieOllie Registered User regular
    what slows you down?

edited November 2014
    Bad workflow, lack of confidence, lack of knowledge... Things that'll hopefully improve with practice.

Flay on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I don't think that you should practice those three things.

I've been working at them for a while now and they've only made me very accomplished at being miserable.

edited November 2014
    Hey, even just failing faster is still and improvement.

Flay on
    Day 2:

TT3t5Ld.jpg

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Decided it would be good practice in both anatomy and perspective/interiors to go work from movie frames. My plan is to also use it for paint practice. Dunno if I'm gonna finish this one cause I already done fucked up my placement. Everything is too low, Brad Pit has some weird eye deformity and also I've been working on this stupid sketch for three hours. Harumph grumble grumble

3iQii6I.png

Juggs, whatever small form imperfections notwithstanding, I think observational/naturalistic drawing might be Your Thing

• LonecaiLonecai Registered User new member
    Made a few changes here and there. Time for something else now.

1tacOp2l.jpg

I like this.

:P Really strange. :P