As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HALO] is dead.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/bulletins/the-halo-bulletin-assault-on-controller-settings

There's no universal control scheme for boxer. I'm super bummed. This will pretty much kill my ability to swap between games in the multiplayer.

Grenades on the left trigger are, always have been, and always will be, terrible.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I dont get how fully customizable controls are not a thing on consoles.

Like, control schemes need to be a thing of the past.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Grenades on the left trigger are, always have been, and always will be, terrible.

Congratulations you have won the title of "worst Halo-based opinion." Many thought it would be impossible after such statements from earlier contenders like "Reach is the worst Halo game" but you've done it!

No but seriously, that control scheme was a revelation. Calling it terrible is silly sauce.

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I dont get how fully customizable controls are not a thing on consoles.

Like, control schemes need to be a thing of the past.

Because nobody wants to put in the UI work it seems.

Of course, you have shit like Blink, that had full button customization.. remap everything.. but you could only have the default stick configuration :/

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just looked at screenshots for Bloodline. I am so tempted to max out my credit card, right now.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    Arteen wrote: »

Congratulations you have won the title of "worst Halo-based opinion." Many thought it would be impossible after such statements from earlier contenders like "Reach is the worst Halo game" but you've done it!

No but seriously, that control scheme was a revelation. Calling it terrible is silly sauce.

Nope!

Seriously though, what's so good about grenades on the trigger? I much prefer melee on the left trigger and grenades on a face button or bumper. That left trigger is prime real estate. I'd rather be using it for an ability I have 100% of the time (melees) instead of something relatively infrequent.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    A well thrown grenade will strip an enemy's shield right off, allowing you to one shot them as soon as they round a corner. It's a powerful tool, so you'd want it easy to access because of that, but also fairly hard to pull off, and you wouldn't want to be hindered by the button on top of that.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    A well thrown grenade will strip an enemy's shield right off, allowing you to one shot them as soon as they round a corner. It's a powerful tool, so you'd want it easy to access because of that, but also fairly hard to pull off, and you wouldn't want to be hindered by the button on top of that.

Eh, I've played boxer... forever really... Timing/aiming a grenade bounce or toss in that manner isn't really something that would be hindered by the button, provided you're familiar with the layout. You guys are really just arguing preference and learned proficiency there.

Kinda silly that there isn't a universal layout for boxer though. But I guess it's due to the dual wielding in Halo 2? Never understood southpaw layout, even as a lefty.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Melee's also a vital tool, but it's one I'm using much more frequently. I'd prefer RT shoot, RB grenade, LT melee, and LB ability personally.

Also it's easy to accidentally toss a grenade at a wall when it's on the trigger. :P

• Options
    I use Bumper Jumper, myself.

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular

Because you are awesome, that's why.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    Why argue over how others play the game?

Just give gamers fully customizable controls already!

• Options

I should have known

You bumper jumpers are always so preachy! :P

• Options

I should have known

You bumper jumpers are always so preachy! :P
    HMM WHAT WAS THAT I COULDN'T HEAR YOU OVER ALL THE KILLS I'M GETTING AS A RESULT OF MY SWIFT PRECISE JUMPS

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I never got why anyone would use Bumper Jumper until I played Titanfall.

Now I'm a convert.

Snake Gandhi on
  • Options
    The Halo 2: Anniversary documentary on the XBO dashboard is a great watch. I recommend everyone check it out.

• Options
    https://dlassets-ssl.xboxlive.com/public/content/f33009f4-14ff-4821-94e3-c3573c868c2e/GameManual/97d0359f-4eb2-45ea-af0d-bd3f90529585/en-US/index.html#article0035

Apparently the MCC does not let you save films. You have to record them with the One DVR or lose 'em. Also, apparently no more Halo 3 campaign theater.

• Options
    I kinda miss the campaign theater, but making films of mp kinda seems pointless what with the built in dvr.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I kinda miss the campaign theater, but making films of mp kinda seems pointless what with the built in dvr.

It'd be nice to use the dvdr to record the clips so you can do all the fun camera angles and effects.

No I don't.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Re: Control schemes.

I'm also a Bumper Jumper. Used it in Halo, use it in Destiny, will use it in Master Chief Collection.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I took tons of screenshots of Halo 3 and Reach multiplayer (and campaign), so I hope the Xbone gets proper screenshot support soon.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    In Halo 3 and Reach the screenshot system was built in to Halo itself, not the 360. I would imagine the Halo Theater stuff will port over...unless they've specifically said it won't?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Why argue over how others play the game?

Just give gamers fully customizable controls already!

Given the lack of interest developers and publishers have shown, it's past time for console makers to step up. Add button remapping and right/left swap as an option at the system level, with customized profiles for individual games. That last part might not help a bunch if you're launching into a menu of Halo titles with (slightly) different control needs, but it'd fix a lot of control scheme issues with other games.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    In Halo 3 and Reach the screenshot system was built in to Halo itself, not the 360. I would imagine the Halo Theater stuff will port over...unless they've specifically said it won't?

Films apparently still show up in Recents like the previous games, you're just not allowed to save them or share them.

re: why clips when DVR is around:

Film clips are smaller in size.
    Full resolution of the engine with no macroblocking at full framerate.
    You can detach the camera and watch any clip from different angles or find a different person to watch the action from
    Study a match between high level teams, or study your own matches to improve yourself.
    Watch the other teams and learn their strategy or how they did something.

Campaign films:
    Even though they weren't clippable in Halo 3, you could still go back and manually capture great moments you had, or snap photos in higher-than-the-game-can-output resolution. Now we're limited to 1080p shots for Halo 3's campaign, period. They also let you discover cool little moments in campaign, and easter eggs you can't even see unless theater exists because the AI will activate and go into attack mode when Chief actually gets near them.

My theory as to why film sharing is gone, if it is true (repeating from twitter):

Inter-version compatibility. Considerable work had to be done in Halo 3/Reach/4's TUs to keep old films working. The way game films work is they actually 'play' the game, and since the engine can be made to act predictably, everything explodes/blows up/hits/collides the same way. So for example in Halo 3, they actually had to fix the flying bodies bug, then go back and make it so the bug triggered if you were watching a 1.0 film. Stuff like that. In theory if they let you, you could drop into a film being played and kill the players as if you were actually playing against them, but then the film would break :bigfrown: In the same vein, if you make the Carbine fire more slowly, or change the damage or animations of a gun or a vehicle, the old films will too, and they'll desync pretty quick.

Anyway. I'm guessing they want to be able to patch the MCC at a whim, and not have to maintain film compatibility between versions, so the feature dies. This is the sanest, cleanest theory I can think of. If films can be loaded and show up in recents, that makes the actual files themselves are being generated. And they're the same as normal film files, so it's not the film format breaking, they exist. The engine doesn't care if you're loading the film from recents or saved, it's the same data. The only reason I can think of that you're not allowed to keep them is that compatibility issue. Every other file type can still be shared. Screenshots are just jpgs, no compat patches needed. Game types are set in stone and 4's gametypes already support new dynamic data being added, so no issues there. You can change the actual .map file and a Forge variant won't care, as long as the internal names match, so no issues there either.

As to why Halo 3 Campaign films are dead, the most likely reason is that the new MCC skulls (or other new functionality) were not made compatible with film playback. Easier to cut the feature when strapping new functionality onto the old engine.

Also, this would mean in it's current state, a theoretical ODST in the MCC collection would have no films either - both Campaign and Firefight run off the same engine, and ODST runs off the Halo 3 engine.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So I took advantage of that 50 dollar price drop and ordered the sunset overdrive bundle from amazon. Also managed to get free 1 day shipping, but what I'm really excited about is realizing that I'm off work the same day the Halo collection comes out. I might do the midnight launch even now in my old age. Haven't done one of those since Halo 2's launch.

Or on second thought maybe I'll just head to Wal Mart at midnight. Would they stock that game at midnight or wait until the next day?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Depends on your Wal Mart. Some do midnight launches, others don't. For Second Son, I asked a guy working there at midnight if they had the game, and he went back and got it for me. Other employees might not have done that.

A best buy or dedicated game store might be a better bet.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I've had no problems with Wal-Mart, especially now when it's super cold and the line at the gamestop wraps around the building Wal-Mart is the clear choice. When Gears of War 3 came out, I went to the Wal-Mart and was in and out in like 10 minutes, they even had free cupcakes. It was great.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    you could also go the digital route, have it pre-loaded and ready to play at midnight. save you the trouble of having to got to the store.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Someone was streaming Halo 1 splitscreen MP earlier. They even left the hitsounds in from Halo PC.

Splitscreen with hitsounds = near constant beeping

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    launch trailer!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDvYJGquXgE

also, apparently the 20G day one patch has been cut down to 15G and if you have a digital pre-order you can pre-load the patch starting right now!

• Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    Man, that trailer hit all of the right buttons. I cannot wait to get my hands on this. I have a digital pre-order all ready to go. Do I need to go into My Games and Apps and manage this game to download the patch?

• Options
    Ooooh new cutscenes!

I wish I could dl the day one patch now even with the physical copy. That would be some real next gen shit.

• Options
    I'm kinda ticked that I'm getting this for christmas (as far as I know) and I'm going to have to wait for the patch. :( Wish they would just let anyone download it.

No I don't.
  • Options
  • Options
    note to self: don't read about MCC on other sites because 2/3rds of the comments will be people whining about how there's no PC release and/or whining about "buying the same games again" while ignoring that it's essentially a reworked 4 for the price of 1, etc...etc... :|

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Okay, my entire Halo background consists of playing a borrowed copy of Halo 1 back when. After playing Destiny this game has come on my radar. Watching trailers and the making of documentary have all increased my hype levels.

I AM READY FOR TUESDAY.

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    Okay, my entire Halo background consists of playing a borrowed copy of Halo 1 back when. After playing Destiny this game has come on my radar. Watching trailers and the making of documentary have all increased my hype levels.

I AM READY FOR TUESDAY.

You're in for a treat. All 4 campaigns are reaaaallly fun.

No I don't.
  • Options
    socks wrote: »
    Man, that trailer hit all of the right buttons. I cannot wait to get my hands on this. I have a digital pre-order all ready to go. Do I need to go into My Games and Apps and manage this game to download the patch?

i couldn't see any way of prompting the download when i checked, but it seems to have loaded on it's own. it's possible that it's a gradual roll-out over the weekend, but i imagine everyone who has pre-loaded will get it before Tuesday.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Got my preorder installing now. 59 gigs is like, a good 15% of my HDD filled. And I was at 79% before... think I need an external one soon.

• Options
    yeah, i was thinking the exact same thing. actually had to delete a few things just to make sure the patch could install.

This discussion has been closed.