As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android: Netrunner] Creating and Controlling since 2012

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Accelerated Beta Test dropped two Priority Requisitions into my archive, which of course the runner immediately decided to take a shot at running.

#netrunnernoobstories

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    You'd have been a lot less sad if you had a Punitive Counterstrike or two in hand. ;p

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have taken great delight in leaving a PR out on the table for the runner to steal when I have a punitive counterstrike and an archived memories in hand as HB.

I think I've done it often enough now at my regular meetup that I should switch them out and put domestic sleepers and three archers in my Foundry deck or something. Maybe run no Jacksons and use Shipment from SanSan instead to save money. Risky, but with ABT and The Foundry getting agendas back isn't an issue any more and I don't see much Noise.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Switchblade is insane. Used it tonight against a Blue Sun deck and it went through Grim and Archer like paper. Lost the game, because I miscounted his credits and didn't realise I could get into his remote, but just having Switchblade out and the stealth credits to use it is awesome.

Also went to a Netrunner event this afternoon where the organiser was collecting brief sound bites of people's favourite Netrunner cards for possible use in the Terminal 7 podcast. I chose Stimhack, because its a lovely Hail Mary that's won me several games one turn before the corp would have won when the board state looked hopeless.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I don't usually read deck lists, but I've been browsing through the ones on Stimhack as a sort of exercise in deck building.

And my god, the Jinteki deck that won the recent German nationals (85 players!) is very silly. Almost no ice, and none of it run-ending. Just 100% murder, all the time.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    I don't usually read deck lists, but I've been browsing through the ones on Stimhack as a sort of exercise in deck building.

And my god, the Jinteki deck that won the recent German nationals (85 players!) is very silly. Almost no ice, and none of it run-ending. Just 100% murder, all the time.

I'm actually playing this deck right now, it's pretty fun

I'm a little surprised it won, to be honest, it's SUPER vulnerable to siphons

• Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I'm actually playing this deck right now, it's pretty fun

I'm a little surprised it won, to be honest, it's SUPER vulnerable to siphons

It's a meta call, isn't it - neither RP glacier nor NEH particularly care about being Siphoned, so Cambridge PE decks can live with being vulnerable to it since less people will be running it (or as many copies of it).

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Cambridge? Oh, I guess that's where it first won a tournament.

I was trying to come up with an explanation based on some snooty Oxford-joke about Cambridge being easy to get into but getting in is bad for you. Or something. Because university rivalry.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    The wrong Cambridge, too :) As a resident of the correct Cambridge (and a graduate of the correct Oxford, since we're being snooty :D), I can assure you that there's no tournament scene here :(

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Cambridge? Oh, I guess that's where it first won a tournament.

I was trying to come up with an explanation based on some snooty Oxford-joke about Cambridge being easy to get into but getting in is bad for you. Or something. Because university rivalry.
    <snark>I think that only applies to Cambridge college ladies.</snark>

• Options
    Epimer wrote: »
    The wrong Cambridge, too :) As a resident of the correct Cambridge (and a graduate of the correct Oxford, since we're being snooty :D), I can assure you that there's no tournament scene here :(

When I visited a friend who went to Oxford he did say Cambridge had much less of an actual town around it. I might have thought the college students alone would be enough basis for at least a small tournament but I guess they're busy being other kinds of nerds.

And wrong Cambridge: somewhere in the US I assume?

• Options
    Well, Oxford is bigger but having lived in both I would say that Cambridge has more going on, particularly if you're not affiliated with the University. We do have a local group going now, and it's built up to a dozen or so players at various experience levels. The one local store has no interest in supporting the scene, though; they're big on Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh and that seems to be it. I know we could run our own thing, but I don't think there are enough competitive players to make it worthwhile, unfortunately.

London is close enough to go there for tournaments, if you can work out travel arrangements for getting home after whatever time it finishes (or stay somewhere nearby, but that gets expensive quickly). I'm going to seriously consider it next tournament season.

The other Cambridge is Massachusetts, so yeah, 'Merica :)

• Options
    Does anybody have any experience with running a Netrunner league?

I'm toying with the idea of running one to give our local players an excuse to meet up and play more frequently than our monthly meet, but I'm worried that it might be off-putting to those who don't have all the cards or are still learning.

• Options
    TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I'm halfway through my second league that I run as organizer. What are your questions? (PM if you like)

"Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • Options
    I'm trying out Cambridge PE today. I don't think it's my thing. Like, I get it, but there are so many holes. The creator is clearly a far, far better player than me though (I still find myself looking at his Kit deck and thinking "wat") so more power to him for coming up with it and doing well.

• Options
    With Cambridge PE, you really need to have balls of steel. How good is your poker face? I've been playing a variant of it for a while and it's fun but nerve-wracking. Sometimes a runner just guesses right. Account Siphon and anything else that sucks away your money is the worst. Multi-access isn't as scary, since the runner is often afraid of hitting multiple Snares and/or Fetals. Philotic can be the best thing in the world in that deck.

• Options
    I won the last three games in a row by different flatlines, but I never felt like I was in control of the game. As Scott (Apreche) says in one of the Philadelphia regional videos, the onus really is on the Corp player to set up a kill somehow. That's not too straightforward against a savvy runner, unless you can force them into a situation where they have to consider a double Ronin threat.

It's a very creative deck and I'm not saying it isn't strong - it clearly is - but I don't think it suits me.

• Options
    I won the last three games in a row by different flatlines, but I never felt like I was in control of the game. As Scott (Apreche) says in one of the Philadelphia regional videos, the onus really is on the Corp player to set up a kill somehow. That's not too straightforward against a savvy runner, unless you can force them into a situation where they have to consider a double Ronin threat.

It's a very creative deck and I'm not saying it isn't strong - it clearly is - but I don't think it suits me.

I totally understand. I normally dislike facing this type of Jinteki deck - where my cards aren't always cards so much as hit points - but after losing to two variations on it in a tournament I decided I needed to start playing it to learn how to play against it.

• Options
    Just played a horrible OCTGN game with my first draft of a Quetzal deck. Anarchs really get hosed by Lotus Field in Blue Sun, don't they? I was just hopelessly locked out. Can't help but feel a little hard done by at only seeing 2 agenda points in 11 cards (5 stacked Medium Demo Run --> Medium Run), but there was no way I was winning that game either way. Ooft.

• Options
    lotus field in blue sun is the biggest Fuck You to anarchs

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    lotus field in blue sun is the biggest Fuck You to anarchs

We remember NoiseShop.

Never forget, never forgive.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Until Anarchs suck it up and spend the three influence on Atman... sucks but might be a necessity these days!

• Options
    Not a joke: I was going to take Reina Chess to Worlds until Blue Sun was announced. That's the worst news that deck ever got. I literally unsleeved it and won't put it back together until I can figure out a way to deal with that problem.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    So any bets what's going to be announced Wednesday at the "State of the Union" address?

Pretty sure it was mentioned they were going to be talking about a AGOT set rotation system (since it's card pool is goddamn huge), but you never know what else might happen.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Until Anarchs suck it up and spend the three influence on Atman... sucks but might be a necessity these days!

Full blown Quatman it is!

... actually... Quetzal doesn't care about Wraparound, Datasucker is in faction D4vid (or however it's spelled) for things that are inconvenient for Atman, Cyberfeeder for paying for Atman runs... Hmmm. HMMMM!

Brb.

• Options
    Stranger DangerStranger Danger Registered User regular
    New card spoiler from snow-jax over on 4chan. Its in the last pack.
    Markus 1.0
    HB - 1 inf
    ICE: Barrier, Biorod
    Cost 4 - Strength 3

The runner may spend click to break a subroutine on Markus 1.0.

-> The Runner trashes 1 of his or her installed cards.
    -> End the run.

On another note: you can expect the last pack of this cycle to be posted in roughly a week or two.

Its starting to become unsafe to run with any programs these days.

• Options
    Markus 1.0
    HB - 1 inf
    Cost 4 - Strength 3

-> End the run.

On another note: you can expect the last pack of this cycle to be posted in roughly a week or two.

Eh, more fool anyone who was running last click on unrezzed ice anyway.

• Options
    Markus 1.0
    HB - 1 inf
    Cost 4 - Strength 3

-> End the run.

Eh, more fool anyone who was running last click on unrezzed ice anyway.
    Running last click, without a barrier breaker and two creds. And something else installed. They deserve what they get. :)

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    Side note: I will be livetweeting the FFG State of LCG event. Follow #StateofLCG

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a good card but I don't think it's meta shaking either.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    Any word on participation prizes? Wondering if I need to budget for anything later on. :P

• Options

yeah, a strength 4 atman is going to be pretty useful in lots of situations, so it's probably worth it.

• Options
    TheMadjai wrote: »
    Not a joke: I was going to take Reina Chess to Worlds until Blue Sun was announced. That's the worst news that deck ever got. I literally unsleeved it and won't put it back together until I can figure out a way to deal with that problem.

three parasites, two imps, and the datasuckers you should already be running.

• Options
    I wonder how Unscheduled Maintenance would work in that deck. Blow up some ICE and the Mainenance keeps them from rebuilding fast enough to keep up. Maybe a Singularity too? Nuke their scoring server and laugh as they can't reassemble another.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    I had to drop out of anything Netrunner-related for a few months and I think I've forgotten how to build decks. I sat down and tried to put together a HB deck... and I honestly don't know what I'm doing...

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    WHOA that agenda suite, man.... Alright, so what are you trying to do with this deck?

Edit: It kind of looks like your want to brain damage the runner to death which is hard to do. But you're also double-downing on expensive end-the-run ICE.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    TheMadjai wrote: »

three parasites, two imps, and the datasuckers you should already be running.

Hard stop on any Lotus Field.

Rooks and Knights die immediately. Pawns are even worse. Imps help target the Lotus before it hits the table, but you better find it...

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    Escher it out of the way, clearly. :P
    But seriously, yeah, Blue Sun messes with so many things I really don't understand why they printed it. *shrug*

• Options
    Escher it out of the way, clearly. :P
    But seriously, yeah, Blue Sun messes with so many things I really don't understand why they printed it. *shrug*

That's actually the best thing you can do.

At 5INF per.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Oh I know. Include 1 copy and 3x Planned Assault instead. Only 11 Influence ...
    Really, you might be able to justify the PAs if you have other run events. But I still don't think it's a good plan.

ArcticLancer on