As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

gobblegobblegobble [Thanksgiving] gobblegobblegobble

XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
edited November 2014 in Social Entropy++
It has been brought to my attention that someone crammed in another holiday to waste everyone's time before Christmas!

But it happens to be my favorite holiday!

Why you ask?!

Because I love giving thanks for all the good things in m

PFFAAHAHAHAHHAHA

I love the food.

this is the best meal of the year and due to massive amounts of leftovers, it also creates usually the second, third, and fourth best meals of the year too!

So tell me SE++, what is your favorite part of thanksgiving?

Is it the turkey?

u9t2tk7jhx4e.jpg

I mean the turkey?

8xcd97cvecdp.jpg

Mashed pofuckingtatoes?!

nbsf3h3ibndh.jpg

GRAVY?!?

mlmprnful7gk.jpg

Stuffing?

902mama9oq0c.jpg

(Be honest, it's these guys right here) (just .... right out of the can)

gj9ttcf8xmhs.jpg

oooooorrrrrrrrrrr is it perhaps getting together with friends and family to watch the Lions lose?

perhaps listening to The Alice's Restaurant Thanksgiving Day Massacre (in four part harmony)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57gzA2JCcM

is it waiting in eager anticipation for Jeph Jacques to make pictures of turkeys say relatively obscene things?

If any or all of these things are your favorite things about Thanksgiving, you're all wrong.

This is the best thing about Thanksgiving.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 will be streaming 6 episodes with new bumpers this Thanksgiving

Also I guess pilgrims or something? I don't know, someone else can fill that in

Xaquin on

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This thread title breaks my phone

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Definitely stuffing.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    This thread title breaks my phone

oh ok, one sec

edit: better?

Xaquin on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    No tofurkey

ever

YL9WnCY.png
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    My favorite food is meat and potatoes, Thanksgiving is pretty awesome.

I need to quickly decide if I want to go up to my folk's place or not though. On the one hand, they are awful and their Thanksgiving is very sterile. On the other hand, I miss the dog, and I don't have to worry about food for the day.

EDIT: They also have important identity documents I would like to have in my possession.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I fly home for Thanksgiving on the 23rd and I cannot wait.

hmmm

maybe have thanksgiving with friends and hit their place on the way back?

My friends are all poor people in tiny apartments.

• msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    I will probably be working on Thanksgiving.

Stores that are open on Thanksgiving suck, but I remember that Thanksgiving was a real boon because I got time-and-a-half for working that day. It's kind of a double-edged sword.

(hint: give people a living wage)

YL9WnCY.png
    I am actually excited to work on Thanksgiving, because of the pay increase.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    My favorite thing is to get stuffing, turkey, potato salad, and stuff them into a hot roll to make a bunch of overstuffed sandwiches.

e: That and popping deviled eggs like they're m&ms.

Kaplar on
    Kaplar wrote: »
    My favorite thing is to get stuffing, turkey, potato salad, and stuff them into a hot roll to make a bunch of overstuffed sandwiches.

yessssss

nuka wrote: »
    It's not so bad as long as you get the morning shift. Then you can just drive to wherever you're having dinner and chill for the rest of the day.

Unless you have to do Black Friday shit in the wee hours, then you have considerably less time to chill.

YL9WnCY.png
    nuka wrote: »
    It's not so bad as long as you get the morning shift. Then you can just drive to wherever you're having dinner and chill for the rest of the day.

Unless you have to do Black Friday shit in the wee hours, then you have considerably less time to chill.

My schedules vary, but I can work as early as 7am or as late as 11pm. It's a 24 hour store that is open on Thanksgiving but we aren't open all of Thanksgiving.

It's going to be fucking chaos with people demanding to know why we should be allowed to go home on a holiday. The nerve!

My Walmart was open 24/7 except Christmas Eve, when we closed around 6pm, and Christmas Day, which was just totally closed.

Oooh, and one Black Friday we got a bomb threat so we had to spend like an hour sitting in the cold waiting for the authorities to give the all-clear. Our managers were pissed because it was obviously a prank call that brutalized our black friday sales.

YL9WnCY.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Give me an entire pumpkin pie.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Thanksgiving, aka the holiday that gives me an excuse to eat an entire pumpkin pie

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    My grandmother and mom together make like three different kinds of pie every thanksgiving. It's incredible. Also grandma makes a sausage stuffing that is probably my favorite food in the world.

My family's contribution to the culinary world is a sandwhich made up of leftover sausage stuffing (either cold or reheated) and mayo on a hard roll.

I can't wait.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The day of the deep-fried turkey that blows all oven turkeys straight outta the water.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

I think I like sweet patato better.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So we just bought a house and we're nearing getting to the point of having it ready for company.

So husband made the suggestion of a Thanksgiving Housewarming party.

Only down here, it's spring time. So the thought of all the heavy things that are usual Thanksgiving staples is kind of.... daunting.

But I'm thinking a Turkey breast done on the BBQ in some way (\because fuck buying a whole fucking turkey down here. A decent sized turkey big enough to feed a small crowd will easily run me over $100NZD (approx $78USD). And I don't like turkey enough to spend that much. So maybe a turkey breast, maybe roast chicken or something, and then, the sides.

My oven isn't very big, so might end up having some guests bring things, but I'll be taking care of the pumpkin pie, probably the green bean casserole, and if I can find cranberries, an apple cranberry pie.

I might even make sweet potato casserole, complete with marshmallow topping, just to confuse the fuck out of my friends.

I kind of miss the big to do, and my grandmother's stuffing.

But most of all, I miss eating pumpkin pie with my grandfather.

See, he had this thing for food being crunchy. And sweet. I guess something about growing up during the Depression. So every year on Christmas and Thanksgiving, we would have pumpkin pie. And grandpop would bring out his blue sugar bowl. Now in this sugar bowl was a lovely filligreed silver spoon. The trick was to get the sugar from the bowl onto the top of the pie without spilling any. Once the top of the pie was covered in white sugar, grandpop would then take the whipped cream and put that on top. and then, we take a bit.

It's creamy, pumpkiny, and delightfully crunchy. I still do this whenever I can.

It'll be almost 17 years since I lost my grandpop. So this is the best I can do.

The real stars of Thanksgiving are the sides anyway. It's like, I only eat stuffing/dressing once a year, but man I cannot imagine not having it at Thanksgiving.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I love the thanksgiving sandwiches the day after. Everyone has their own version

Big ol' chunks of white meat turkey, topped with leftover stuffing, all on sourdough bread slathered with cranberry sauce

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    It's not that weird, Geth

edited November 2014
    Remove cranberry sauce, add gravy, because gravy is awesome.

And it's going to be open-face, of course.

ASimPerson on
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Cooking for Thanksgiving? I loooooooooooove this book.

Thanksgiving!

It's only 125 pages, the recipes are not too difficult and really solid, and the author has a great sense of humor.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i hate everything about thanksgiving

i hate turkey

i hate pretty much all the traditional thanksgiving grub

i hate forced family situations

i hate feeling stuffed and fat

i am the thanksgrinch

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    No tofurkey

ever

tofurkey is actually really good if you cook it right

unlike turkey which is always nasty

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'm not particularly fond of turkey. Shaved deli turkey, sure, but not chunks

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Turkey's aight. The gravy you make out of all the drippings in the bottom of your roaster that have been sitting in a pile of carrots, celery, a bit of onion and some herbs? Fucking divine

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Anyone who's ever had dry turkey, look into brining or deep-frying. I guarantee you will never need to worry about dryness ever again.

Madican on
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I love Thanksgiving. It's by far my favorite holiday. There's none of the stress of Christmas and buying presents and being broke. It's a day that's entirely about gathering with the people you love, cooking an obscene amount of food, and reflecting on the good things in your life. That's a concept that I can absolutely get behind.

The bad news is that I'll be missing out on Thanksgiving proper this year as I'll be out of the country. The good news is that I'll be in the Bahamas alternating between watching basketball and sitting on the beach with a rum drink. So I might do a small Friendsgiving either before or after the trip so that I can get that turkey goodness. I highly recommend Alton Brown's turkey recipe. You brine the turkey overnight with ginger, allspice, brown sugar and some other stuff, and then stuff the cavity with aromatics before you roast it. You end up with some ridiculously juicy, flavorful meat.

Also, if you don't make Thanksgiving leftover burritos then you need to get on my level.

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

That was probably one of my favorite parts about it in high school. Had a friend sleep over a couple times after thanksgiving and the morning after consisted of pie and video games. Those were good times.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    FUCK TURKEY

GIVE ME HAM

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    My sister's fiance's family in south Florida roast a giant pig for Thanksgiving. Christmas too.

It's pretty cool.

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
    A turkey in brine is a turkey that's fine.

YL9WnCY.png
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Everytime I see this thread I think the title says "gobbledygook"

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    the-gobbledy-gooker6.jpg

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    EVERYONE STOP

MST3K's TURKEY DAY MARATHON IS BACK (and on Youtube this year)

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys