As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars Rebels] Season 4: May the Fourth Be With Uth

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The eu may be dead, but that doesn't mean "Canon" sources aren't going to draw good ideas and inspiration from it anyway. Which is great, as far as I'm concerned. heck, even clone wars ignored parts of the prequels when it suited them, as well as lifting and changing ideas from animated clone next wars

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    One thing I have to keep in the back of my mind when watching this is that, while it takes place at least a number of years after the PT concluded, it also still takes place quite a while before the OT takes place. That is, thankfully, ground left unshitified by the PT, and also untouched by the OT, so there's a lot that could be done in that time period. There could be years of stuff happening in Rebels before the actual full Rebellion takes place, and then another number of years before you would hit the time when Luke shows up to save the Rebellion.

Basically, this is an Empire we don't actually know that much about yet, other than it being brutal and oppressive. There's a bunch of stuff they could do that wouldn't disrupt anything, now that they've chucked the EU stuff.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Isn't rebels set 5 BBY?

Lh96QHG.png
  • EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    yep. its roughly 15 years after the Prequels.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Last episode (at the cadet academy) was definitely interesting.
    It seems like they've pretty much gone to officially ignoring midichlorians, or at least aspects of them. Otherwise, they could have just run a bloodtest on Ezra and the other kid rather than call in the Inquisitor to find out if they were Force-Sensitive. Also seems like they'd have Blood tested anyway.

Also looks like we'll be seeing a bunch of trained Force-Sensitive Imperials (either assassins or some kind of trooper) make an appearance, which should be a fun set of villains.

Do new episodes show up online first or something? I thought the last episode to air was "Rise of the Old Masters." I'm in the U.S. if that matters.
    Yeah, they're typically available online a couple of days before they air.

Also if you Xfinity they tend to show up on demand around Wednesday.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    @Morblitz Um, Rebels is most definitely not EU. Old EU is now "Legends", while everything coming out now is orchestrated by the same team to make sure it works together. Rebels will fit perfectly with the upcoming movies and all upcoming books.

Lol sure it will.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    @Morblitz Um, Rebels is most definitely not EU. Old EU is now "Legends", while everything coming out now is orchestrated by the same team to make sure it works together. Rebels will fit perfectly with the upcoming movies and all upcoming books.

Lol sure it will.

The new team even has control of book covers. Obviously it won't be literally perfect, but you've got a single team of people vetting plots and characters to make sure they slot in. It isn't even remotely impossible.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    The jedi dude calling a lightsaber a 'laser sword' is the best thing to have happened to this show and maybe all of star wars since KoTOR 2

I'll explain if you want but I think it's just the best

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I think I get it, but for shits and giggles i'd like the explanation.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I assumed that was a Darths and Droids reference.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    In the original Star Wars script they were called laser swords. Way back when everyone had one.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Anakin called it a laser sword in the prequel, didn't he?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Yeah, but we don't talk about that.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    She also arts. And seems to have a fairly dickish sense of humor. May not be much, but it's something they can build on. I'd say give the show time for a Sabine centered episode so she can grow a back story and see what happens.

True. The reason I bought it up is that no other characters get written like that. I don't see why she has to be left out, unless its intentional.

Um, Hera has had virtually no characterization either. She's been shown to be supportive of Kanan, but that's about it. There just haven't been enough episodes to give everyone a fleshing out.
    Just watched the newest episode on Xfinity. Just what we'd been talking about, an episode focused on building up Sabine and Hera.
    A little light on Hera's backstory, definitely get the idea that she and Kanaan are more into the budding Rebellion than the show's let on so far, and that both of them are playing their cards close to their chest in regards to telling the rest of the crew what (and who) they know.
    Some good information on Sabine's past though. Apparently went through an Imperial Academy on Mandalore and did some unpleasant things under orders that she didn't question, now she regrets not questioning those orders /bugging out sooner. She's freaking out a bit because she doesn't know what's going on with all the missions they've been taking on, or where the missions are coming from and is worried about blindly following orders again.

Also, Ezra's stupid energy slingshot fails to do appreciable damage again and nearly gets him eaten. So, that was cool.
    Chopper is still pretty homicidal for a droid, which is also cool.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Man, I do love Chopper. He's such an asshole.

He does asshole things, then assholes up and runs away on his obnoxious unicycle wheel.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I will be angry if Chopper ever stops being an asshole.

Like, no, don't make him secretly nice sometimes. Not even a little!

He's just an assholebot.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Chopper is great in that unlike every other astromech in Star Wars he isn't an expy of R2-D2 (only with a different colour scheme, like every other one). He actually has a different personality instead of chippy little helper droid.
    As long as he keeps being a dick to Ezra he's a great droid to me.

I'm also hoping at some point the stormtroopers become a bit threatening. Sure most episodes end with the gang legging it away, but the stormtroopers are so hilariously incompetant at shooting it borders on the absurd. For instance one scene where 2-3 stormtroopers are on top of a transport shooting at Ezra from less than 10 feet away and missing him by metres. Not to mention the team has killed dozens already without a scratch and we're like 6 episodes in.

Agent Kalius and the Inquistor are a threat as they can beat zeb and Kanan in a fight. But id like to see the troopers become a threat. Even if it is them gunning down random extra's/wookies/other rebels

So caught the new episode on xfinity.
    Sabine is much more interesting be an ex-Imperial. Curious why she doesn't have the Imperial accent. Guess that happens later in the training.

I am super curious about Herra's connections. I am curious if her connection is like Mon Mothma. Or maybe someone else such as that. The Rebels haven't really broken out yet and the senators aren't on the most wanted list yet.

Also was Sabine being trained for special forces?

Chopper is the best btw. Such a dick.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited November 2014
    Well, Hera is the daughter of that Twi'lek Rebel leader from The Clone Wars cartoon that they had to convince to help them free the capital, because he hated the Twi'lek senator almost as much as the Separatists. So she's kind of got it in her blood. :p

InkSplat on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Kana wrote: »

He's just an assholebot.

I like to imagine his little warbles translating to constantly calling everyone meatbags.

In related news, I'm more or less caught up and this show is pretty surprisingly good! It's basically the KOTOR cartoon I never knew I needed though I do hope they cool it with the facepalm grade quotes being snuck in though.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

He's just an assholebot.

I like to imagine his little warbles translating to constantly calling everyone meatbags.

In related news, I'm more or less caught up and this show is pretty surprisingly good! It's basically the KOTOR cartoon I never knew I needed though I do hope they cool it with the facepalm grade quotes being snuck in though.
    They're still more subtle than the earliest episodes of Gotham.

He's just an assholebot.

They're still more subtle than the earliest episodes of Gotham.
    Everything about Gotham looks awful and I've avoided the shit out of it.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular

He's just an assholebot.

really because I would love it if they put a gag like this in the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoNyif8iURI

edited November 2014
    Episode six suffers from a fatal flaw that only manifests for older viewers. Specifically that the head of the monsters bears a striking resemblance to something even more terrifying:
    the_noid_by_isabellaprice-d59jddu.png

I'm also having a hard time not seeing the Inquisitor as Darth Bert. <_<

Anyhoo, today I rewatched everything up to and including episode six to get my gf caught up and one thing I noticed with the Inquisitor that I really hope we see more of is that when his lightsaber isn't in full retard mode its single blade version and his style fighting is everything we were promised but denied with Count Dooku. Dooku was supposed to fight kinda like a fencer, hence why his saber has a weird design to it, but that never happened. The Inquisitor's single blade style, however, is pretty reminiscent of a more swashbuckling, saber fencing style and as such I find myself far more forgiving of the fact that his lightsaber ups the ante on terrible lightsaber designs. So yeah, I want more single blade Inquisitor because hot damn that is fun to watch.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Episode six suffers from a fatal flaw that only manifests for older viewers. Specifically that the head of the monsters bears a striking resemblance to something even more terrifying:

Anyhoo, today I rewatched everything up to and including episode six to get my gf caught up and one thing I noticed with the Inquisitor that I really hope we see more of is that when his lightsaber isn't in full retard mode its single blade version and his style fighting is everything we were promised but denied with Count Dooku. Dooku was supposed to fight kinda like a fencer, hence why his saber has a weird design to it, but that never happened. The Inquisitor's single blade style, however, is pretty reminiscent of a more swashbuckling, saber fencing style and as such I find myself far more forgiving of the fact that his lightsaber ups the ante on terrible lightsaber designs. So yeah, I want more single blade Inquisitor because hot damn that is fun to watch.

Didn't The Clone Wars Dooku lightsaber fight with one hand behind his back, fencing-style?

• UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    Didn't The Clone Wars Dooku lightsaber fight with one hand behind his back, fencing-style?
    I just watched an episode where he did exactly that. He does repeatedly throughout the series too.

Fantastic
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Ok, I'm 4 episodes in. This is Star Wars Firefly, isn't it?

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Houn wrote:
    Ok, I'm 4 episodes in. This is Star Wars Firefly, isn't it?

It does bear a striking resemblance in some ways, and in others not so much.

To be fair, Firefly was essentially Han Solo's Adventures in the Outer Rim. You've even got a Force-Sensitive on the run!

Also, it's really making me want to replay KotOR. Or even SWtOR.

What I'm trying to say is, this show is pretty great.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Now's a pretty good time to get back into SWTOR. If you preorder the Revan XPack and resubscribe, you get 12x Class XP through December. It's enough to level to 55 on class quests alone.

If you are thinking about resubbing, let us know in the SWTOR thread. There are "recruit a friend" benefits that are pretty great for everyone involved.

jdarksun wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Now's a pretty good time to get back into SWTOR. If you preorder the Revan XPack and resubscribe, you get 12x Class XP through December. It's enough to level to 55 on class quests alone.

If you are thinking about resubbing, let us know in the SWTOR thread. There are "recruit a friend" benefits that are pretty great for everyone involved.

Man, I think my highest-level character was maybe 20 something?

So just finished episode 7 "Empire Day"
    Holy shit this was good. The Empire is a definite threat. The inquisitor and the agent are fantastic. Tie Advanced. The fact that the Empire can set up roadblocks and if it wasn't for the space wizard probably would of beaten the Ghost's crew every time.

Also we got a date. It is 15 years post Clone Wars. This means we are about 5 years before the Battle of Yavin.

That is when the Empire is at its peak and even though this is the Outer Rim everyone is under the Empire's boot it seems.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So just finished episode 7 "Empire Day"
    Holy shit this was good. The Empire is a definite threat. The inquisitor and the agent are fantastic. Tie Advanced. The fact that the Empire can set up roadblocks and if it wasn't for the space wizard probably would of beaten the Ghost's crew every time.

Also we got a date. It is 15 years post Clone Wars. This means we are about 5 years before the Battle of Yavin.

That is when the Empire is at its peak and even though this is the Outer Rim everyone is under the Empire's boot it seems.
    Man, if this series ends with Ezra climbing into an X-Wing on Yavin I'm going to be so sad.

Mvrck on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I wouldn't be surprised if we end the series on a reason for them to be absent for the Original Trilogy. Maybe heading into the Unknown Regions to look for allies, or choosing to lay-low. Because you would think if Ezra or Kanan would have heard about Luke (it wasn't exactly secret among the rebels that Luke was a Jedi) they would have made contact. As far as A New Hope is concerned its really too early for it to be an issue. But I'm curious to see if they even address it or come up with something clever for Empire or RotJ.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

I haven't gotten to a "Dooku does awesome shit" episode yet.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if we end the series on a reason for them to be absent for the Original Trilogy. Maybe heading into the Unknown Regions to look for allies, or choosing to lay-low. Because you would think if Ezra or Kanan would have heard about Luke (it wasn't exactly secret among the rebels that Luke was a Jedi) they would have made contact. As far as A New Hope is concerned its really too early for it to be an issue. But I'm curious to see if they even address it or come up with something clever for Empire or RotJ.
    Perhaps smuggling stuff on Alderaan at the most inopportune moment...

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Why are you guys doing this?

Making me sad and stuff :?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    It really wouldn't be hard to weave the crew into the bigger events. There's so much going on all over the galaxy that they could easily be on other missions supporting the main one, kinda like how in a WW2 game you might not actually be on the beaches of Normandy but would be doing something that supports that push. As far as the Luke issue, I think it won't just be an issue of them wanting to contact Luke but also an issue of Luke wanting to contact them. For now they're keeping it fairly quiet but them being active force users is not something that will be easily hidden as events get bigger and bigger. I'm sure the writing team already has a plan in place for addressing this specific issue but we're also five years away just from the OT so there's time to maneuver the plot to either find a way to exclude the team (or just kill them all) or even to weave them directly into the events of the OT without mucking things up.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Small thing that bugs me - Ezra's space slingshot. It's just ridiculous, in a bad way. Give him a blaster or something.