As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

East 2015 Q&A Thread

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    TheLizbot wrote: »
    Sorry if I missed the answer to this somewhere, but is there an age where I have to purchase a pass for my child? Would I need passes for even an infant? Is it free under 10 years old or something, or does PA need to know exactly how many humanoids will be present via the purchase of tickets? Thanks!

from the site faq:
    Are there age restrictions to PAX East?
    Nope. But if you’re under 13, please make sure your parents know where you are. Children 6 and under do not require badges when accompanied by adult (however strollers are not permitted in the exhibit hall).

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2014
    http://east.paxsite.com/faq#are-there-age-restrictions-to-pax-east

6 and under do not require their own badges

zerzhul on
  • Options
    CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    Sgt.Mays wrote: »
    Planning on flying Porter airlines out of CYTZ, anybody know if there will be airline discount codes?.

There won't be discount codes from PAX afaik, last year they still had a timely sale that worked out for my group to be better in some ways than driving.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Options
    TheWanderingBladeTheWanderingBlade Registered User new member
    Hello,
    I'm new on here. I have gone to PAX the past 2 years, but I had to buy tickets on ebay because they sold out too quickly. Why can't Penny Arcade just give a date and time when the tickets go on sale? If I'm at work, I won't know and by the time I get a chance to check, they're gone (45 minutes last year for 3-day passes). This system is disorganized and pretty awful imo. I don't have time to constantly refresh the twitter feed for THE ENTIRE MONTH OF NOVEMBER. Can't even say what day? Seems designed for people who sit in mom's basement all day waiting.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Hello,
    I'm new on here. I have gone to PAX the past 2 years, but I had to buy tickets on ebay because they sold out too quickly. Why can't Penny Arcade just give a date and time when the tickets go on sale? If I'm at work, I won't know and by the time I get a chance to check, they're gone (45 minutes last year for 3-day passes). This system is disorganized and pretty awful imo. I don't have time to constantly refresh the twitter feed for THE ENTIRE MONTH OF NOVEMBER. Can't even say what day? Seems designed for people who sit in mom's basement all day waiting.
    Yes, all the people who get tickets to pax are clearly basement dwellers. Nobody manages to be able to get tickets to PAX while they're at work or at school or anywhere else they might be every single year. Those tickets I purchased for each of the 9 paxes I've attended weren't purchases while I was at my full time job, I was actually at my parent's house! In a different state! yup!

As far as why things are the way they are, PAX has posted information on the registration process for last East and last Prime on the main pax webpages detailing the reasons they do things this way. If you want a direct line to them, I suggest pax_questions@paxsite.com

edit: also this is kind of funny because last year they DID TOTALLY ANNOUNCE the day and time that tickets were going to go on sale for pax east although they likely won't do that again.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Coan wrote: »
    Planning on flying Porter airlines out of CYTZ, anybody know if there will be airline discount codes?.

There won't be discount codes from PAX afaik, last year they still had a timely sale that worked out for my group to be better in some ways than driving.

Yea i saw their sales, i think we may see one for March Travel soon. Right now the sales are for travel by the end of Feb. Was thinking of Amtrak again, but would just be easier to hop on the GO train and go to Toronto island and fly out. (did not like arriving at 12:30 am at buffalo last year and having to drive home (even though the train ride was awesome).

Sgt.Mays on
    Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • Options
    killer6699killer6699 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Hello,

What I do so I don't have to constantly check the Twitter feed is have it so that any time Official_Pax tweets something, they text me about it. It's quite reliable. It's how I realized last year that there were links to the buying page on their Twitter when the East website was crashed.

killer6699 on
  • Options
    grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So what's everyone's thoughts on the $20 price jump for the 3 day pass? I for one don't mind too much as it's still totally worth it.

New prices was posted on the reg page here http://east.paxsite.com/registration

grayfawkes on
    PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • Options
    cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    I'm waiting for the point where 60% of people can't afford to go and I can go with ease. Self centered, maybe. But I'm driven by pax

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    grayfawkes wrote: »
    So what's everyone's thoughts on the $20 price jump for the 3 day pass? I for one don't mind too much as it's still totally worth it.

Finally a more appropriate price, as having the 3 day be less than 2 single days was somewhat silly.

• Options
    Tickets will be posted exactly when the clock hits 120 . Just my prediction

• Options
    cardkid123 wrote: »

aaaaaaand you're wrong. good guess though.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    Well then my next guess is that they won't be posted this week

• Options
    pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    grayfawkes wrote: »

Sorta expected.

Somebody from PA said, if I remember correctly, that the fact the 3 day was $5 LESS than 2 single day tickets was an error.

Given that, you had to think they were going to increase a bit more than usual this year, since they were already under-priced last year (probably should have been $85, not $75).

With the single days seeing a $5 price increase, too....meh.

Still one of the best con values out there....as are the single days, IMHO.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    cardkid123 wrote: »

aaaaaaand you're wrong. good guess though.

IF they go up today, I suspect it will be in about 30 min (at noon, eastern...9 AM Pacific time). MAYBE in 3 hours and 30 min (at 3 Eastern, noon, pacific), but I don't think so.

pilferk on
  • Options
    Most likely 12 EST just like last year, i really hope it is that if it happens tomorrow as i need to leave at like 12:45.

Attending West 2019
  • Options
    koolarookoolaroo Registered User regular
    12 EST would be best on almost any day for me. I'm usally at work by 3 PM EST and have no internet acsess.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Most likely 12 EST just like last year, i really hope it is that if it happens tomorrow as i need to leave at like 12:45.

You need to leave at 12:45 today? Or tomorrow? FYI: If tomorrow..you do NOT want tickets to go on sale. I hit the ticket que last year at about 12:04...and was stuck in the que for at least 30 min (might have been closer to 40) before I could buy my 3 days..and I was one of the last to report getting them before the "sold out" posts started....

And the hotel process took even longer...

pilferk on
  • Options
    pilferk wrote: »

You need to leave at 12:45 today? Or tomorrow? FYI: If tomorrow..you do NOT want tickets to go on sale. I hit the ticket que last year at about 12:04...and was stuck in the que for at least 30 min (might have been closer to 40) before I could buy my 3 days..and I was one of the last to report getting them before the "sold out" posts started....

And the hotel process took even longer...

If it happens at 12 tomorrow i can put of leaving or change my plans but that would be the 2nd time i do that, i refuse to miss it in any way if i am at home.

Attending West 2019
  • Options
    Megan_GwynnMegan_Gwynn Pixie New EnglandRegistered User regular
    To be honest the fair thing for them to do is communicate, it's not that hard. There is no law against what they are doing but it isn't very nice either. It makes it look like they don't give a shit. They could very easily announced at any time: "you know what folks, we are going to be exhausted from Australia, badges will go on sale the week after, thank you for your patience etc etc" . Except for this board it is very hard to find information on this event. I really love you guys that contribute the actual details as you know it, thank you.

My friends have literally lost interest worrying about this, obviously there are 10 guys that will fill every one of our places so Pax doesn't care. I guess kudos to them, job well done for being successful enough to not give a shit.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    It's a catch 22.
    There were those last year who complained about the early notice/warning, saying it gave the scalpers too much of a leg up, drove up demand on the system (ultimately causing the main site to crash from all the "refreshers") and generally made the process harder than in previous years.

Last year was the first year they gave any notice, and didn't just tweet out they were on sale.....and there were definitely "issues" that didn't crop up in previous years.

Now, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the initial sentiment/objection..just laying it out for you so you understand "the flip side".

The PA folks didn't repeat the "early warning" with subsequent on sales for the other cons...so it seems like this is by design. It's not that they don't care...it's that, for whatever reason, they think this system works best.

pilferk on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    To be honest the fair thing for them to do is communicate, it's not that hard.

I also want to quickly address "fair", in a separate way: It largely depends on what you mean by "fair", IMHO.

Everyone getting a tweet, out of the blue, and the tickets suddenly being available is pretty "fair", in that nobody has any advantage in terms of pre-planning, etc. It's like randomly ringing the dinner bell...come and get it!

No matter what system they use, SOME segment of people are going to have a built in advantage of circumstance. They work at home, they (or their spouse) is a stay at home parent, etc, etc, etc. There's no real way to mitigate those advantages. It's all a matter of perspective...

I get it: It's frustrating and stressful. I've been through it every year but one with PaxEast. It's TOTALLY worth it, though. ;)

pilferk on
  • Options
    Major concerts are announced months in advance every day. I've already said I think I kind of understand this system. I really wanted to go to this but my people have given up and I don't have anyone to go with now. I fought for months to convince them that this would be fun and now it's this bullshit. Try to hold 10 HS girls attention for 10 minutes let alone 6 months. Most of them just wanted to dress up anyway.

• Options
    bluefroggiebluefroggie Registered User regular
    This "SOON" shit is getting real old real fast.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Major concerts are announced months in advance every day. I've already said I think I kind of understand this system. I really wanted to go to this but my people have given up and I don't have anyone to go with now. I fought for months to convince them that this would be fun and now it's this bullshit. Try to hold 10 HS girls attention for 10 minutes let alone 6 months. Most of them just wanted to dress up anyway.

Yup, but this isn't a concert (most concerts sell about 15k to 20k tickets per venue, spaced out over months...this con sells something more like 200k tickets for the 3 days..maybe more)...and the infrastructure isn't Ticketmaster (or LiveNation) either. And that seems to have been the larger issue, last year.

Again...there are pros and cons to both sides of the coin. Last year, there was post after post from folks complaining about the pre-notice (especially AFTER the tix went on sale).

I get your specific concerns about keeping people interested. That sorta sucks. The plus side is this: Even if you went ALONE..you wouldn't be alone for long. I've been solo (my wife's first visit was last year) many times. You find and make friends and contacts quickly...at least I have. :) That's one of the things that makes it so much fun.

pilferk on
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular

But those concerts hit multiple venues for months at a time usually, PAX is one weekend. You have the same odds as everyone else, sorry, but it's just how it is and will be.

• Options
    EagleAlphaXEagleAlphaX New JerseyRegistered User regular

Yes, major concerts can announce things in advance because they are done by major companies, like Ticketmaster. It's their job to be able to handle that type of thing. Think about Penny Arcade; their business is two dudes drawing webcomics. Their system is probably not extensive enough for thousands of people pounding on it to get tickets at a specific time.
    Heck, I saw a good amount of latency just pressing "F5" at noon today!

wjxmaepqs9k1.png
  • Options
    i think it's also worth noting that every single year, no matter how things are handled, there are scores of people who feel the system isn't "fair" because it didn't suit their situation. whether it's about announcements, the time/day the sale starts, prices, how many badges of each type are available, etc, etc, etc. it always seems "unfair" to someone. it actually is pretty damn fair, but that's not the same as it working out perfectly for each and every person who wants to attend. it would be nice if it did, but it doesn't. but that's not the same as being unfair.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Options

Yes, major concerts can announce things in advance because they are done by major companies, like Ticketmaster. It's their job to be able to handle that type of thing. Think about Penny Arcade; their business is two dudes drawing webcomics. Their system is probably not extensive enough for thousands of people pounding on it to get tickets at a specific time.
    Heck, I saw a good amount of latency just pressing "F5" at noon today!

Showclix (the ticket site, itself) seemed to do OK last year (there was some lag, and some early hiccups). But the PA site died, and stayed dead for awhile...meaning the only way to get the link was if you followed Robert Khoo (who tweeted it first) or the Oficial_Pax twitter feeds.

They said, in the post mortem, the "site death" was largely due to the F5-ing leading up to the on sale.

The hotel site (Onpeak) didn't fair as well, IMHO. It definitely had issues...

• Options

Yup, but this isn't a concert (most concerts sell about 15k to 20k tickets per venue, spaced out over months...this con sells something more like 200k tickets for the 3 days..maybe more)...and the infrastructure isn't Ticketmaster (or LiveNation) either. And that seems to have been the larger issue, last year.

Again...there are pros and cons to both sides of the coin. Last year, there was post after post from folks complaining about the pre-notice (especially AFTER the tix went on sale).

I get your specific concerns about keeping people interested. That sorta sucks. The plus side is this: Even if you went ALONE..you wouldn't be alone for long. I've been solo (my wife's first visit was last year) many times. You find and make friends and contacts quickly...at least I have. :) That's one of the things that makes it so much fun.

I know I sound a little selfish bitchy. I'm just exhausted over fighting for this and now it's like it's clear friends have moved on. Venting in public is lame but I figure if anyone relates it you guys. Sorry and thank you, have a wonderful time, I'm sure you will.

• Options

I know I sound a little selfish bitchy. I'm just exhausted over fighting for this and now it's like it's clear friends have moved on. Venting in public is lame but I figure if anyone relates it you guys. Sorry and thank you, have a wonderful time, I'm sure you will.

Nope...you don't sound selfish or bitchy at all. Or lame! And there's no need to apologize!

You sound justifiably frustrated and stressed....which is fine!

And I can relate. I've been through it over and over and over, now. This is the part I hate most. But every year..I go back and it's worth every bit of it.

I HOPE you get to go, too, to see for yourself!

• Options
    So, this is the Q&A thread for the moment, can we please keep it to Qs and As? There's the save the date thread for more general talk about the upcoming show.

• Options
    you can delete all that as far as I'm concerned, sorry I didn't know where I was for some reason blind rage perhaps.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    So, this is the Q&A thread for the moment, can we please keep it to Qs and As? There's the save the date thread for more general talk about the upcoming show.

Sorry, man! I was bouncing between both threads and "forgot" where I was. I'll take it to the save the date thread!

Oh...and...since I haven't said it in awhile: Thanks for being a most excellent mod, zerzhul. You do good work here!

• Options
    ColeycowColeycow Registered User new member
    I submitted myself for a panel for PAX East, and I was wondering about a few things...

When and how should I receive feedback (whether I was accepted or denied)?

Is there an age limit for hosting a panel?

Does everyone in my party get a speaker pass or only the ones involved in the panel?

And finally, is there a separate area where I can sign up for the Jam Space in the Boston Convention Center, or do I just cite in the 'extra information' section, "I would like to perform in the Jam Space"?

• Options
    I'm sorry and you are a great mod.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »

Sorry, man! I was bouncing between both threads and "forgot" where I was. I'll take it to the save the date thread!

Oh...and...since I haven't said it in awhile: Thanks for being a most excellent mod, zerzhul. You do good work here!

it was totally his fault

• Options
    Does anyone know the limit on 3-days passes in one household? I have 3 siblings and we all want to go together.

• Options
    4 if it is like last year

• Options
    sweet. Thanks!