As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars X-Wing] Wave 7 and New Core in stores! PA Vassal League Season 3 now forming!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Alright my buddy and I bit the bullet and bought two starter sets, so we are planning on playing Friday night. Any tips for the newbs?

If you aren't making pew pew and R2-D2 noises, you are doing it wrong.

• Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    Alright my buddy and I bit the bullet and bought two starter sets, so we are planning on playing Friday night. Any tips for the newbs?

Start simple and learn the basics. Sure it is tempting to grab special pilots and extra upgrades / abilities, but your first game or two you want to concentrate on how the game flows. Grab generic pilots, dont worry too much about an even match up and get a feel for the game.

Then (and this is the important bit), ensure you have a truck load of money ready for the hundreds of little space ships you will want to buy :)

edited November 2014
    Realtip:

If you're experienced with miniatures or other wargaming, then just run a couple turns of the basic intro game in the quickstart guide just to get used to the flow of a turn and a round. Then, jump right into the more advanced rules [ed. - the rules where you can take actions, where positioning matters more, etc., not the squad-building and unique pilot version].

If you want to keep to the simple quickstart rules for the [entire] first game, the only thing I'd add is [a restriction] that you can't pick 2 red maneuvers one after the other (otherwise, you can just keep doing 180s, and that's kinda weird).

Elvenshae on
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    World Championships start tomorrow at FFG.

I'm undecided about attending... $50 is kind've a lot of money for event registration and I'm not clear on what, if anything, it buys me -
    aside from the privilege of playing X-wing at FFG, which I can do any time. For free.

and it's going to be absolutely mobbed there. I dunnnooooo....

Sokpuppet on
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

I'm undecided about attending... $50 is kind've a lot of money for event registration and I'm not clear on what, if anything, it buys me -
    aside from the privilege of playing X-wing at FFG, which I can do any time. For free.

I need to move there... apparently my company has a campus less than a mile away from FFG.

I need to move there... apparently my company has a campus less than a mile away from FFG.

Might want to wait about seven months. We're getting our first snow of the season tonight. :-P

• mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular

At the very least, you'd likely get most, if not all, of your registration fee back by selling whatever the tournament participation prize might be.

edited November 2014
    Fiiiiine I'll go show the colors.

Registered for Flight #2, on Friday.
    In addition to several hundred folks there for other stuff, there were like twenty people already on-site tonight playing pickup games and hanging out.
    Most of them seemed to have Regional Championship maneuver templates.... 0_0
    Going to get so massacred...

I will most likely be flying:

Academy Pilot x2
    Avenger Squadron Pilot + Hull Upgrade x2
    Delta Squadron Pilot

100 points.

Sokpuppet on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I'd been hoping that FFG would show Armada at PaxAus, but no such luck. I cannot put in words just how much I want that game, when I first saw it I knew it would fill a void in me I didn't know existed.

In other news, I think I've bought all I will in X-Wing, at least for the forseeable future. I went on a spending spree at Pax, now have at least 2 of everything, with 4 X-wings, 6 Ties, 4 Headhunters, 4 Interceptors, and the big ships. I didn't really like the look of Scum and Villainy, or the new Imperial big ships, but I'll give them a look when they're out. And I might want more than 2 of some ships so I can run an all A-Wing squad, or play some epic matches.

With the money I save from not buying more X-Wing miniatures, I can save up for Armada!

edited November 2014
    Fiiiiine I'll go show the colors.

Registered for Flight #2, on Friday.
    In addition to several hundred folks there for other stuff, there were like twenty people already on-site tonight playing pickup games and hanging out.
    Most of them seemed to have Regional Championship maneuver templates.... 0_0
    Going to get so massacred...

I will most likely be flying:

Academy Pilot x2
    Avenger Squadron Pilot + Hull Upgrade x2
    Delta Squadron Pilot

100 points.

I read something on their page where you need 2 squad lists?

Also apparently twitch is now blocked at work... I guess I can't have it on in the background while I work now :(

EDIT: I really need to take a "business" trip up there. You know. For "team building"

crimsoncoyote on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Alright my starter sets are out for delivery. I'll have a nice surprise waiting for me when I get home. Woooo!

My buddy and I are holding out hope that we'll see a victory star destroyer at some point. At 900 meters to scale they should fit on a VERY large table top.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Should I tell him about Armada, guys? Or would that just break him?

Alright my starter sets are out for delivery. I'll have a nice surprise waiting for me when I get home. Woooo!

My buddy and I are holding out hope that we'll see a victory star destroyer at some point. At 900 meters to scale they should fit on a VERY large table top.

That's still like 3 meters.

I'm down.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Should I tell him about Armada, guys? Or would that just break him?

Oh I know about armada. I can't wait to play it either. That is actually what got my buddy and I interested in the regular mini game. Armada will give us our capitol ship fix. We were thinking it would be cool that if your squadrons fight each other in armada that you could just pull out your x-wing mini's and resolve combat that way for added flavor.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

That's still like 3 meters.

I'm down.
    I've sketched out an idea for building a Star Destroyer as a kind of play surface a couple of times now.

One of these days I'm going to have to build it.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    I just read through the rules. I am SO excited to be playing this tomorrow. So damn excited.

Dropped by FFG tonight. They have Wave 5 in stock there, so I picked up the Outrider. *^____^*
    Not legal for Worlds unfortunately, but it's good to have in my hands.

Chatted with some locals as they were setting up for the last game of the evening. It seems like a fairly high percentage of the "X National Champion, left my bubblegum on the other continent" types were in Flight 1, so maybe I won't get too facesmashed tomorrow.

Finalized list:

Rexy Brath
    Veteran Instincts

Alpha Squadron x2
    Obsidian Squadron x2

It's not everything I want it to be, but watching some matches and talking to folks convinced me that I need someone at PS10.

My local group is doing a big tournament tomorrow, our version of "We're All Too Poor to Go Play at World's" event.

I've got it down to 4 lists:

A:
    Hobbie + R3-A2
    Roark + Ion Cannon + Intelligence Agent
    2x Blue B-Wings with Fire Control System (I've considered making these guys 2x Daggers instead)
    The idea here is that Roark can boost whoever would be best up to 12. The B's can soak up some hits before going down and with FCS, could pull red maneuvers and potentially still have a target lock from the attack before. Hobbie can stress things out (possibly stress + ion with Roark's help). He could also be boosted up to 12 to mess up a Phantom's day. Using Intel Agent could also allow me to move the B's to better positions for shots/blocking.

B:
    Keyan + PTL
    Roark + Ion
    2x Blues
    Similar to above, but more focused on damage/durability as opposed to tricks.

C:
    Fett + Veteran Instinct
    5x Academy TIEs
    The Academies are out there blocking and focusing fire, while Fett can potentially use his ability to get to a better position AND he'll shoot before Phantoms do.

D:
    Fett + VI + Navigator
    Kath + Predator + Engine Upgrade
    Academy TIE
    The idea here is that both Fett and Kath have significant abilities to change their positioning and can potentially get shots off without shots back. The Academy is there to have another body on the table/to be dangled as a sacrificial lamb/to block.

Any words of wisdom? I expect to see a few Phantoms, a few Fat Hans, and a few Rebel swarms, along with some dark horse lists by some of our more creative folks.

Played 2.5 games at lunch. I was empire with the two tie fighters and wupped my buddy playing Luke in the X-wing. I had REALLY hot rolls, like a crit and two regular hits and he rolled all blanks. Also I was able to get him into my firing arcs while just staying out of his, like an 1/8th of an inch difference.

Third game I was the X-wing and he the tie fighters and we played for quite a few rounds, I damaged one of the Ties and he took out my shields, then our lunch was over. Rules are pretty straight forward. We are going to have a few hours to play tonight and are each picking up another ship from the hobby shop, to go along with each of our starter sets. We should be able to field 3 rebels and 5 imperial matches.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    My local group is doing a big tournament tomorrow, our version of "We're All Too Poor to Go Play at World's" event.

A:
    Hobbie + R3-A2
    2x Blue B-Wings with Fire Control System (I've considered making these guys 2x Daggers instead)
    The idea here is that Roark can boost whoever would be best up to 12. The B's can soak up some hits before going down and with FCS, could pull red maneuvers and potentially still have a target lock from the attack before. Hobbie can stress things out (possibly stress + ion with Roark's help). He could also be boosted up to 12 to mess up a Phantom's day. Using Intel Agent could also allow me to move the B's to better positions for shots/blocking.

I like A a lot, it's pretty close to the list I took to the Wave 4 prerelease, and I had a lot of fun being an aggravating little shit there.

A few notes: I would keep the Fire Control Systems! AFAIK people are shifting (somewhat) towards the very high skill phantoms and falcons if they're not running swarms, so the difference from 2 to 4 is not likely to do a lot for you. Whereas continuous target locks are always good. Plus, you've got Roark already to help with the initiative problem.

'bout eleven hours of X-wing today.
    3-3 overall.
    Quite pleased with this. I know some much stronger, more dedicated players who did about as well.

I sleep nao...

Thanks! I just repainted a HWK and added some weapons bits from old Mechwarrior clix figures to "Scum" it up in preparation for Wave 6. I want to show that bad boy off, so that's the list I'm going with.

Back before Wave 4, I ran a similar list that used Hobbie + Dutch together, so it won't be too unfamiliar.

Played a 100 point game last night with my buddy. I had Darth Vader in a Tie advance with cluster missiles, three Tie fighters with named pilots, and a "A" Squad tie interceptor. He had Luke in an X-wing with R2-D2, a named pilot in an E-wing with a couple things, and a named pilot in a prototype A-wing with some concussion missiles.

Game took an hour and a half or so not figuring initial set up of the new ships we bought. I split my forces into two squads, the three TIEs and then the Advanced and interceptor.

I was able to get the A-wing by itself with the Advanced and interceptor and on the second move phase the interceptor ended up right on the A-wings ass. Between it and Darth Vader in the advanced I was able to take it out with the A-wing only being able to do a single damage to the interceptor.

The TIEs, X-wing and E-wing ended up in a melee on the other side of the play field, but I was rolling hotter and getting luckier on the movement, so I was able to whittle away the shields of both ships, taking out Luke and then we called it when he was down to his E-wing with no shields and all 5 ships closing in.

We both have to get better at estimating where we will end up when moving, I ran my ships into each other a few times and lost actions, it was annoying. Also we need to remember our pilots special abilities, Darth Vader's two actions is huge, especially with something like squad leader.

world finals are comin' up at

Whisper + half-swarm v. last year's champ with Han and a trio of Z95s

personally rooting for the rebels, so that that one time I beat him (by sheer luck, it's looking like) sounds more impressive

• StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    watching it right now, that falcon could not have gotten any closer to that astroid

Daypigeon wrote: »

A:
    Hobbie + R3-A2

I like A a lot, it's pretty close to the list I took to the Wave 4 prerelease, and I had a lot of fun being an aggravating little shit there.

A few notes: I would keep the Fire Control Systems! AFAIK people are shifting (somewhat) towards the very high skill phantoms and falcons if they're not running swarms, so the difference from 2 to 4 is not likely to do a lot for you. Whereas continuous target locks are always good. Plus, you've got Roark already to help with the initiative problem.

Ugh, I got absolutely shut down. Going into the event, I was reasonably confident about facing Fat Hans or Phantoms. I didn't want to see Rebel Swarms or Shuttle spam.

Round 1: 4 Shuttles
    Round 2 + 3: Rebel Swarm

I finally faced a Whisper + mini-swarm in Round 4 and did decently against it, but in the 3 attacks I had against an uncloaked Whisper, my dice failed me or his dice redeemed him.

A:
    Hobbie + R3-A2

Ugh, I got absolutely shut down. Going into the event, I was reasonably confident about facing Fat Hans or Phantoms. I didn't want to see Rebel Swarms or Shuttle spam.

I finally faced a Whisper + mini-swarm in Round 4 and did decently against it, but in the 3 attacks I had against an uncloaked Whisper, my dice failed me or his dice redeemed him.

haha, oh god

shuttle team is like my nightmare list, Rebel small ships are never fast enough to deal with their shenanigans. I'm guessing they all had engine upgrades?

I'm so sorry

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Wow, Y-wings really spiked in price, huh? Must be the Scum.

Amazon wants almost $30 for one. It's the only rebel ship I don't own, but I think I can wait for a reprint at those prices.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Yea, its rough getting in to the game right now, I can't get a lot of the ships at decent price right now. I really want a Millennium falcon but I am not paying $60.

Though online the Tantive IV is $60, which is a damn good price and that ship is awesome looking.

edited November 2014
    The reason you're seeing things for so much is because they are out of stock and awaiting reprints. You just have to keep an eye out for when the reprints are back in stock and snatch them up. Some Barnes and Noble still have falcons and other hard to find ships, you just have to find a store that has them.

You shouldn't ever pay more than retail price (30 for big ships, 15 for small)... It's just not worth it

crimsoncoyote on

A:
    Hobbie + R3-A2

haha, oh god

shuttle team is like my nightmare list, Rebel small ships are never fast enough to deal with their shenanigans. I'm guessing they all had engine upgrades?

I'm so sorry

He actually had a wide range of upgrades.

One shuttle had Tactician.
    Another had Vader + Rebel Captive.
    The last two had Anti-Pursuit Lasers and Fire Control System.

My plan was going to be to force him to meet me diagonally across the table, hoping to cause him to bump into himself and into asteroids and mess up his arcs, but he flew too smart for that. I should have probably just blasted straight at him and tried to get behind him.

This was my battle report from after the game:
    10403258_10100585942832976_284488016406029095_n.jpg?oh=ffe2405770ad79f790662e2b9d2d9f13&oe=54D5291B

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So what's the shuttle spam lists look like?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Assuming I've got the acronyms/abbreviations correct, something like this:

==================
    I don't like (Shuttle) Spam
    ==================

100 points

Pilots

Omicron Group Pilot (23)
    Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Tactician (2)

Omicron Group Pilot (27)
    Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Darth Vader (3), Rebel Captive (3)

Omicron Group Pilot (25)
    Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Fire-Control System (2), Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)

Omicron Group Pilot (25)

Yeah, that's what it was. He painted details on the shuttle to differentiate them, which is why I identified them by color.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I got smashed yesterday. Biggs, dagger, and 2 a wings against mauler, kaggi, kir, and 2 ties.

Why did I lose? So many blanks on attack and defense. I didn't pray to the rng gods hard enough. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited February 2015
    StarWars: X-Wang
    Episode DIX: The PA League

What is this?
    This is an online X-Wing miniatures league for PA forum members.

Rules
    1-50) Don't be a dick.
    51) Breaking rules 1-50 is a Bad Idea(tm)
    52) Any issues or rules disputes come through me or @Rend. We'll do our best to investigate and work out the issue with involved players.

Format
    • TANTIVETENTATIVE PLAN* This will be an 8 week long season with a seeded championship bracket at the end.
    • Games will be played in Vassal (if you can somehow play in meatspace, more power to you).
    • Games will be 100 points.
    • If you sign up you will be expected to play 1 game per week. Work with your opponent to figure out a time that you both can play. Exception: holiday weeks will be extended to 2-3 weeks
    • Please setup Vassal prior to your first game to get familiar with it (see Setup below).
    • At the end of the week, post the results to the thread so we can keep track of standings and the campaign at large.
    • Feel free to post exciting moments/screenshots in the thread!

Games will be played using FFG's tournament rules (here) with the following exceptions:
    1. Games will not be timed (Exception: you and your opponent both agree on a timed game; if time expires, the winner is the player who has destroyed more points than his opponent then receives a Match win)
    2. Because games will not be timed, scoring will be as follows:
      • Match win: 5 points
      • Draw: 1 point
      • Match loss: 0 points
    3. You don't have to stick to the same squad/faction each week (or submit your squads to me/Rend; we will be playing as well)
      • You will have to tell your opponent your squad before you begin (after obstacles are placed)
    4. Ships and cards are not permitted until they are officially released (ex: no S&V upgrades)
    5. You must legitimately own physical versions of any ships or cards you use, as per Fantasy Flight's rules concerning the ongoing use of Vassal to play their games

Setup
    Setting up Vassal and the module - Follow the steps here: http://s93768914.onlinehome.us/xwing/
    Keep in mind that no cards have text, so you will need your own card text available to you (see 5 above).

Resources
    !Enlist now! (@ me in the post please)
    Feel free to come up with a team name.

Commanders:
    1. crimsoncoyote
    2. Grunt's Ghosts
    3. Elvenshae
    4. Stationary
    5. webguy20
    6. Ingram
    7. Sokpuppet
    8. TehSloth

Standings
    1. Stationary - 30 (6-1)
    2. Elvenshae - 25 (5-2)
    3. crimsoncoyote - 20 (4-3)
    4. Ingram - 15 (3-3)
    5. Sokpuppet - 15 (3-3)
    6. webguy20 - 10 (2-2)
    7. TehSloth - 0 (0-4)
    8. Grunt's Ghosts - 0 (0-5)
    Round 1
    Elvenshae - L vs crimsoncoyote - W
    Stationary - W vs webguy20 - L
    Sokpuppet - W vs Ingram - L
    Grunt's Ghosts vs TehSloth

Round 2
    TehSloth - L v Ingram - W
    Stationary - L v Elvenshae - W
    webguy20 - W v crimsoncoyote - L
    Sokpuppet - W v Grunt's Ghosts - L

Round 3
    webguy20 v Grunt's Ghosts
    Elvenshae - W v TehSloth - L
    Ingram - L v crimsoncoyote - W
    Sokpuppet - L v Stationary - W

Round 4
    Stationary - W v Grunt's Ghosts - L
    webguy20 - W v Sokpuppet - L
    Elvenshae - L v Ingram - W (possible rematch?)
    TehSloth - L v crimsoncoyote - W

Round 5
    Ingram - W v Grunt's Ghosts - L
    Stationary - W v TehSloth - L
    Elvenshae - W v webguy20 - L
    crimsoncoyote - L v Sokpuppet - W

Round 6
    Sokpuppet - L v Elvenshae - W
    Grunt's Ghosts - L v crimsoncoyote - W
    TehSloth v webguy20
    Ingram - L v Stationary - W

Round 7
    Sokpuppet v TehSloth
    Sationary - W v crimsoncoyote - L
    Grunt's Ghosts - L v Elvenshae - W
    webguy20 v Ingram‌

Proposed Calendar:
    Round 1 - Nov 16-22 - Matchups
    Round 2 - Nov 23-Dec 6 Matchups
    Round 3 - Dec 7-13 Matchups
    Round 4 - Dec 14-Jan 10 Matchups
    Round 5 - Jan 11-17 Matchups
    Round 6 - Jan 18-Jan 24 Matchups
    Round 7 - Jan 26-Feb 7 Matchups
    Championship Start - ???

Any Questions? @ or PM me!
    *Rules/format/calendar subject to change

crimsoncoyote on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Somewhere in deep space, sector 8-D...

c953acl05omu.jpg "This is Admiral Caer M'Sin Caiote of the Rebel Alliance. Unidentified vessel, identify yourself immediately, and state your business here."

---
    c953acl05omu.jpg
    NAME: Caer M'Sin Caiote
    RACE: Human
    NOTES: An expert at advanced sensor equipment. Distrustful of droids, hats. Pensive, and brilliant.
    MISSION: Hold strategic but remote sectors of space against imperial incursion and takeover.

---
    t63njf7bm83m.png
    "Ahh, well if it isn't Admiral Caiote, it seems we meet again. I trust that our meeting this time will be no more noteworthy than the last."

---
    t63njf7bm83m.png
    NAME: R3-ND
    RACE: Astromech Droid
    NOTES: A captured R3-series astromech droid whose personality subroutines have been replaced with an exact personality image of the late Grand Moff Tarkin. Combines hatred of rebels with the deep contempt the dead feel for the living. Functioning SCOMP link.
    MISSION: Open up a strategic, if scenic route into rebel space via more remote sectors of space. Annihilate all humans rebels.

---

c953acl05omu.jpg "Endee? I thought your circuits would have overloaded in rage at how much cred that assault cost you. I'm surprised you didn't fry."
    t63njf7bm83m.png
    "Contrary to your obviously misguided beliefs, I will not be undone worrying about such trivial losses."

c953acl05omu.jpg "Trivial losses? I annihilated eight of your squadrons before I pulled my forces back!"
    t63njf7bm83m.png
    "My squadrons are merely bits in a byte to me now. Data to further my aims, data to crush you with, rebel scum."

c953acl05omu.jpg "The only byte you've got is more than you can chew if you plan to take this sector from me, Endee."
    t63njf7bm83m.png
    "That's Grand Moff ND to you, worm. And I assure you, this victory will be even more commanding than my last. The odds of you avoiding complete eradication are-"

c953acl05omu.jpg "Please don't tell me the odds."
    t63njf7bm83m.png
    "...three thousand seven hundred and twenty... to one."

c953acl05omu.jpg "Main screen off. Man, that godforsaken droid is annoying. Alright, man the battle stations and ready the pilots. This is a code red: Imperial presence in the sector. It's time to get moving."

Rend on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Assuming I've got the acronyms/abbreviations correct, something like this:

==================
    I don't like (Shuttle) Spam
    ==================

100 points

Pilots

Omicron Group Pilot (23)
    Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Tactician (2)

Omicron Group Pilot (27)
    Lambda-Class Shuttle (21), Darth Vader (3), Rebel Captive (3)

Omicron Group Pilot (25)

Omicron Group Pilot (25)

I want to see the guy fly this list because I love the Shuttle but without an Engine Upgrade I don't know how he flies them to have a firing solution after the first pass.

• StationaryStationary Registered User regular