As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dodgy/Spurious Trades

2»

• KurpavKurpav Registered User regular
    I would trade a pin for a Mars bar.

On the Hunt: Star Trek, Gold Overwatch, Glitch
    Check 'em: My Pins!
  • orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Apparently this stash of Halloween candy I have sitting around has amazing trade value potential.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I did a few 'good will' trades over tge weekend. A girl was missing one staff head, ben kuchera who wasnt at the staff trading event obviously, gave her mine. And fishfishmonkeyhat missed out on kenneths gummy bear so i gave him my spare (he sold his soul for it though but he doesnt know it yet...) Being in the hardcore category puts me in a position where i dont really need to trade anything, so im happy to help people out when i can.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • dchoydchoy OregonRegistered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    I did a few 'good will' trades over tge weekend. A girl was missing one staff head, ben kuchera who wasnt at the staff trading event obviously, gave her mine. And fishfishmonkeyhat missed out on kenneths gummy bear so i gave him my spare (he sold his soul for it though but he doesnt know it yet...) Being in the hardcore category puts me in a position where i dont really need to trade anything, so im happy to help people out when i can.

Must be nice being so hardcore and owning every single pin... #jealous

PAX Prime attendee since 2008.

Another year of Prime gone by... commence the struggle!

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dchoy
    Ive been like that all my life, i cant start a collection and NOT finish it, it eats away at my brain all the time that theres aomething missing. Dem Brain Squirrels tho...

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
    edited November 2014
    I collect stuff too. Collecting is a dangerous and dark road. Spending money on things you don't really need but because you want them...

I just got the White Xbox One even though I already had the original black one because wants.

dchoy on

I really wish i never knew about Nintendo's new Amiibo figurines.... Ive stayed clear of Skylanders because its not a series im in to, Disney infinity ALMOST got me with their guardians of the galaxy and now Marvel characters set. But i think NINTENDO characters is going to push me over the edge....Awesome characters, works WITH games like smash bros, i dont really have a choice here...

8fuuo_RK.png
    I really wish i never knew about Nintendo's new Amiibo figurines.... Ive stayed clear of Skylanders because its not a series im in to, Disney infinity ALMOST got me with their guardians of the galaxy and now Marvel characters set. But i think NINTENDO characters is going to push me over the edge....Awesome characters, works WITH games like smash bros, i dont really have a choice here...

It's a trap! Don't do it. As cool as they are there is no point to own the whole set. When Pokemon Rumble came out for the Wii U I actually got a whole set. Now they just sit there, doing nothing. I am only going to grab a few of the Smash ones.

yeh but....they look like....really cool....and stuff.....

ill just get link, zelda and ganondorf....................and c.falcon because hes boss....

8fuuo_RK.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    yeh but....they look like....really cool....and stuff.....

ill just get link, zelda and ganondorf....................and c.falcon because hes boss....

I'm a sucker for Nintendo myself, I have Pikachu, Marth and Captain Falcon on preorder..... and if Duck Hunt gets one, he'll be mine as well... and maybe a few others...

I'm also a fan of Skylanders, the games are very fun when you look past the gimmick, and I don't need to have them all because that's just crazy.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I gave some locking-backs to a girl whose pin flew off her lanyard towards me.

Karma thanked me by having me notice after she left that my Hannah had fallen off.

:/

When I got it back that locking-back went in the bin. Improving the locking-back gene pool.

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I gave some locking-backs to a girl whose pin flew off her lanyard towards me.

Karma thanked me by having me notice after she left that my Hannah had fallen off.

:/

When I got it back that locking-back went in the bin. Improving the locking-back gene pool.

So you have a tank of locking backs at home where you encourage them to mate? Because that would be the other side to this thought...

I need to sleep.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yes by next pax I won't be able to pull those post gripping super backs off my pins.

• OlerheadOlerhead Krytenton AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yes by next pax I won't be able to pull those post gripping super backs off my pins.

Can you bring some so I can have them? I'm still mourning the loss of my Aus Logo from 2013 due to a faulty back. I will never forgive the non-locking backs for what they've done.

• silrnsilrn Fairfax, VARegistered User regular
    I had several trades at AUS that I had to sweeten the pig because I would have felt super dirty afterwords. A specific example was a gentleman had an AUS 13 logo that I wanted to trade for, and he *ONLY* wanted the AUS 14 Logo, which he told me he knew was on sale in the merch booth. We were both in a hurry at the time trying to get to Panels, but I couldn't trade him just the logo, so I gave him a whole AUS 14 core set. He was thrilled and I still think I got the better end of that deal, but it was the best I could do on that short of notice.

As a side note, I gave away almost a whole bag's worth of locking pin backs to assorted Aussie traders that didn't know what they had on their lanyard. If they had any AUS 13 pins or LE pins, I gave them locking backs to prevent their loss. An unintentional (but appreciated) side effect from this, was several of those people ended up trading with me later in the show, simply because they knew me from when I gave them locking pin backs.

• DegraineDegraine Pinsomniac Victoria, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I have honestly found the default rubber backs plenty adequate for keeping pins secure. Are you all playing so much Joust that the pins get loosened or something?

You only have to lose one valuable pin before your faith in them goes out the window completely.

• Sammy.SamSammy.Sam Registered User regular
    I was once like you, blindly trusting the rubber backs. That is until the devastation of losing a pin off my lanyard happened to me. Never again! They're secure until they're not & I don't want to take that chance.

While I only rock one pin on my lanyard, it has been one with a rubber back and hasn't come off in two years so go figure.

• QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    There I was, PAX Prime 2013...it was a Sunday...

I had caught the pin collecting bug and had to catch them all. I had nearly completed not only the Prime 2013 set, but had been busting my rump on other pins as well. I was able to score an Aus chandra from the MTG booth, and felt like a million bucks. The Expo Hall was going full tilt, and I was speed running the Windborn booth trying to get the Jin pin from that damn prize wheel. I spin for another loss on the prize wheel and move to get back in the line. I feel a small, almost imperceptible brush against my hand...a fly, a loose lint ball, something minute. Then, throughout the din of the expo hall, I hear ringing like the bells of judgement day...I thought to myself, my god, what was that sound?

I look down, and there lay my beloved Chandra, dropped so unceremoniously to the floor like so much swag bag filler. I scooped her up and rushed her into my pocket with the speed and grace of a bird of prey intent on his first meal in days.

I knew then that rubber pin backs ruin lives. Please, don't trust rubber pin backs.

This message brought to you by the Qumaden Foundation for Secure Pins.

Of course my Hannah pin was on with a locking back, so..

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• silrnsilrn Fairfax, VARegistered User regular
    I've lost a single common pin to the rubber backs. I switched to the locking pin backs prior to East, but I forgot to bring all of my extras, so I was only able to give out a few locking pin backs at East (basically to the 3-4 people wearing their DLCs).

As FishFish experienced, the locking backs aren't perfect. But I've found that if I test each locking back for grip before leaving it alone, it works wonders, I've had to through away a few locking backs that wouldn't grip completely, I didn't bother trying to fix it or see if a different pin worked better, just straight to the trash.

Speaking of which, I gave out so many locking pin backs at PAX AUS, I need to order more >< before South.

I bought, 20 I think, months ago. Then bought another 50 before AUS.

Way more than I needed, but it was nice to be able to give some out.

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I bought, 20 I think, months ago. Then bought another 50 before AUS.

Way more than I needed, but it was nice to be able to give some out.

Keep doing it. Help prevent tragedy.

silrn wrote: »
    I've lost a single common pin to the rubber backs. I switched to the locking pin backs prior to East, but I forgot to bring all of my extras, so I was only able to give out a few locking pin backs at East (basically to the 3-4 people wearing their DLCs).

I don't think I've seen a DLC pin 'in the wild.' Someone told me they had one during a trade but that they didn't bring it in order to keep it safe ... I coveted it.

I touched Fayt's.

I ALSO TOUCHED HIS DLC PIN WACCA WACCA!

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I felt both of Pedro's

And then he let me hold both of his DLCs

And then he let me hold both of his DLCs

Pedro, I would like to trade you several years of indentured servitude for your second DLC pin.

edited November 2014
    I saw someone put their baby on the trade table while trying to get Fayt's.

AND THEY ALSO WANTED HIS DLC TOOT TOOT!

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    Anyone try using those semi-permanent locking backs, that you need an allen wrench to attach/remove? Obviously it would be inconvenient for a pin you expected to be wheeling and dealing on -- but for your most prized pins that are either only out for bragging rights or for very specific trades -- it would give you some piece of mind.

Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
  • VersuserikVersuserik (E) Versuserik Maui HawaiiRegistered User regular
    After losing a DLC off of my lanyard at Prime 13, locking pin backs are really the only option.

PAX PRIME 2015 Status:
    [♦ ] 4 Day Passes
    [♦ ] Hotel
    [ ] Plane Tickets
    [♦]Working my ass off to pay for all this shit.
  • gn0xgn0x Arizona, USARegistered User regular
    Versuserik wrote: »
    After losing a DLC off of my lanyard at Prime 13, locking pin backs are really the only option.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude... Sadder than the first 15 minutes of Up.

• VersuserikVersuserik (E) Versuserik Maui HawaiiRegistered User regular
    Not my favorite memory...

PAX PRIME 2015 Status:
    [♦ ] 4 Day Passes
    [♦ ] Hotel
    [ ] Plane Tickets
    [♦]Working my ass off to pay for all this shit.
  • PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I am VERY new to Pinny Arcade, but got a CTS at the PAX Aus 2014 Mike and Jerry signing, they had stacks. Sure they'll have them at PAX South.

• 00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    Olerhead wrote: »
    silrn wrote: »

I don't think I've seen a DLC pin 'in the wild.' Someone told me they had one during a trade but that they didn't bring it in order to keep it safe ... I coveted it.

I was wearing mine all weekend at Aus this year. Red PAX East Scarf with 90 pins on it….no? :/.

I ended up taking it off at about 3:00 Sunday because I had had two pins(all had locking backs) fall off….and didn't want to test fate any further.
    I touched Fayt's.

I ALSO TOUCHED HIS DLC PIN WACCA WACCA!

Oh yes. Several times. You didn't want to hold me it though.

Well if I ran off with it I bet you would have blamed me!

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Yeah, I am VERY new to Pinny Arcade, but got a CTS at the PAX Aus 2014 Mike and Jerry signing, they had stacks. Sure they'll have them at PAX South.

There were certainly left overs, but whether they will make it to South in great numbers of be saved for future use has yet to be seen.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • pobblebonkpobblebonk Registered User regular
    00Fayt00 wrote: »
    I was wearing mine all weekend at Aus this year. Red PAX East Scarf with 90 pins on it….no? :/.

I ended up taking it off at about 3:00 Sunday because I had had two pins(all had locking backs) fall off….and didn't want to test fate any further.

Ah, that was you. My wife kept hoping to see you again because she wanted to trade for your Leeroy. Crazy Texan with the Second Sons pin in line for Wombat theatre (I think?).

• 00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    pobblebonk wrote: »
    00Fayt00 wrote: »

Ah, that was you. My wife kept hoping to see you again because she wanted to trade for your Leeroy. Crazy Texan with the Second Sons pin in line for Wombat theatre (I think?).

I actually tried to find you two all day sunday and didn't find you at all(even though I had seen you multiple times up to that point. >.<

Will you guys' be at South?

• pobblebonkpobblebonk Registered User regular
    Sadly no. House is almost finished so any spare funds will be going into that. Probably be at Aus next year.
    Sunday I was in the expo hall all day and she was in panels.