As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek Art: How many cloaked Klingons can you find in this scene?

Fuzzy ModemFuzzy Modem Registered User regular
drake_and_bops_08_1080p_by_fuzzymodem-d857ex5.jpg
Bigger: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/307/4/5/drake_and_bops_08_1080p_by_fuzzymodem-d857ex5.jpg

My submission for the Star Trek Ships of the Line Calendar Contest. (I didn't win.)

I've hidden many "invisible" Klingon Birds of Prey in the image. How many can you find?

General feedback also appreciated.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I realize you wanted your hidden ships in there, but I find the effects on this to be a little too much, its detracting from your focus, which should be the center ship, and instead draws your eye all around it and down to the sun getting eclipsed, which is super bright.

The position of the ship also does not seem optimal for reading its silhouette.

• Options
    Yeah, as the contest was for calendar art, the cloaked ships were an attempt to keep the image interesting for an entire month, with the hope that people would keep glancing at it and noticing more cloaked Klingons. A careful balance needed to be struck between too overt and not noticeable at all, and I may have missed the mark. The angle was chosen in an effort to showcase her from a new side. The angles below having already appeared in the Design the Next Enterprise contest and Conceptships.blogspot, but I think you are right, as it entirely hides the connection between one of the nacelles and the primary hull. I had hoped the perception of symmetry would be enough to sell the undefined portions of the silhouette.

enterprise_00.jpg
    enterprise_01.jpg
    enterprise_02.jpg

• Options
    oh, I remember you. Didn't you make this ship for a contest ages ago?

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    oh, I remember you. Didn't you make this ship for a contest ages ago?

Yep. The Design the Next Enterprise contest for Star Trek Online. I had hoped for a second chance to get her accepted into Trek canon though the back door with this calender contest by redefining her class and referencing a specific historical event, but it was not to be.

• Options
    Have you worked on any new models since?

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    Have you worked on any new models since?

Yeah. I've been creating models and vfx for CrossOver my own Sci-Fi/Fantasy pilot episode filmed in Alaska, and I recently competed in Chris Robert's reality TV show The Next Great Starship as "Team Cryo" developing a space ship for the game Star Citizen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nYutltozzY&list=UU3L6Kat6hf07F5ABe9g1ocQ

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Gotta say, I loved watching the evolution of your Enterprise here (and the EVE ship), and it's cool to see your new designs.
    Is that TV show available online (legally)? It sounds like something I'd enjoy watching.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    see317 wrote: »
    Gotta say, I loved watching the evolution of your Enterprise here (and the EVE ship), and it's cool to see your new designs.
    Is that TV show available online (legally)? It sounds like something I'd enjoy watching.

Here you go :)

[edit] Or did you mean CrossOver? It comes out in December, but won't be online until it's made the film festival circuit.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Here you go :)

[edit] Or did you mean CrossOver? It comes out in December, but won't be online until it's made the film festival circuit.

I meant the TNGS series, but I'll keep an eye out for CrossOver, as it too sounds like something I'd enjoy watching.

• Options
    Uncle PKUncle PK Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    -

Uncle PK on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Uncle PK wrote: »
    What modeling program are you using for these pieces? 3dsMax? Maya? Blender?

I am still relatively new to 3d artwork and i'm looking for something that has a better UI than 3dsMax

Just Maya and Photoshop.

Maya's UI is intelligent, but very, very deep, with many layers, and 6 different toggled menu hierarchies, depending on what you are working on. I've been using it for 10 years, and still haven't touched more than half of the program's functionality.

I've never used Max, so I can't compare the two, but I have used Rhino, which has a great, simple, straightforward UI, and is super high precision for jewelry making and 3D printing. Modeling in Maya is sloppier but faster by comparison, and Rhino can't do much in the way of texturing and rendering, so for a long time I modeled in Rhino but textured and rendered in Maya, but for the past few years I'm moved over to Maya entirely, as my emphasis is primarily overpainting concept art, as opposed to precision modeling.

Fuzzy Modem on