As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii U] THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    B14jI2UIMAIsd3h.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Pretty cool bundle. That's gonna make some kids very very happy on Christmas morning.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Google is telling me that's fake, made by a NeoGAFfer

Also no one has any stories on it anywhere

UnbreakableVow on
    It's possible. It was reported on Reddit and I found it on GoNintendo.

Though Amazon.co.uk has their own official bundle listed without any kind of image

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd call bullshit based on the GCN controller and adapter.

edited November 2014
    Yeah I think it's either an early mockup or a complete fake. I was looking at real bundles, and while it's real, the thing that makes me think it's not real is the side of the box. Normally the side would say the name of the game either above Deluxe Set or next to it.

Plus the coloring is pretty plain compared to the other bundles like the Mario Kart 8 one

Though I do think we'll see something like this

MK8Bundle_Front_1.jpg

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I bought the mario kart bundle, so I fired it up to see what it was like and see how it used the gamepad.

What did I get? A horn button. And a map.

On their own first party title.

Why does this machine have a touchpad again?

What would you have liked it to do in Mario Kart 8? I can't think of anything I'd like to do with the pad while I'm racing. I want to keep watching the TV screen.

Rear view mirror? I could see that being useful. Not exactly a killer feature but I'd certainly use it.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Hello WiiU thread. Let's say I am planning to buy a WiiU "eventually" and am more interested in Zelda than Mario, but am probably going to be buying almost exclusively first-party stuff and will likely collect anything I missed out on in a bundle down the road. What's the going Certified WiiU Thread Best Deal? I'm cool with a refurb unit, and am cool with waiting until post-holidays to soak up massive discounts.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Hello WiiU thread. Let's say I am planning to buy a WiiU "eventually" and am more interested in Zelda than Mario, but am probably going to be buying almost exclusively first-party stuff. What's the going Certified WiiU Thread Best Deal? I'm cool with a refurb unit, and am cool with waiting until post-holidays to soak up massive discounts.

The best deal is still going to be the refurbished Deluxe Wii U off of Nintendo's online store for $200.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Hello WiiU thread. Let's say I am planning to buy a WiiU "eventually" and am more interested in Zelda than Mario, but am probably going to be buying almost exclusively first-party stuff. What's the going Certified WiiU Thread Best Deal? I'm cool with a refurb unit, and am cool with waiting until post-holidays to soak up massive discounts.

The best deal is still going to be the refurbished Deluxe Wii U off of Nintendo's online store for $200.

I can attest to that, I bought one and the thing is brand new.

The only difference is the box is marked refurbished. I even got club Nintendo credits for my purchase.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Roe wrote: »

I can attest to that, I bought one and the thing is brand new.

The only difference is the box is marked refurbished. I even got club Nintendo credits for my purchase.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Especially since Nintendo's own site says you can't get Club Nintendo coins.

It probably depends on if it was originally registered or not.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I bought the mario kart bundle, so I fired it up to see what it was like and see how it used the gamepad.

What would you have liked it to do in Mario Kart 8? I can't think of anything I'd like to do with the pad while I'm racing. I want to keep watching the TV screen.

Rear view mirror? I could see that being useful. Not exactly a killer feature but I'd certainly use it.

it would be nice considering there's no button on the big pad that lets you look behind you as far as I can tell, though you can with wiimote/nunchuck

I like using the gamepad to see everyone's place on the track. that's useful. you just have to select it so it replaces staring at a horn button

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    Seems like using the gamepad for rear-view would incur a huge performance hit, since the system would have to render both front-view (for the TV) and rear-view (for the pad).

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

it would be nice considering there's no button on the big pad that lets you look behind you as far as I can tell, though you can with wiimote/nunchuck

I like using the gamepad to see everyone's place on the track. that's useful. you just have to select it so it replaces staring at a horn button

Press X to see behind you.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I neeeeed the Mario Kart DLC. Twelve bucks for 8 new tracks seems like a damn steal.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I neeeeed the Mario Kart DLC. Twelve bucks for 8 new tracks seems like a damn steal.

It's actually 12 bucks for 16 tracks, 6 characters and I believe 8 karts/bikes.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    16...Damn

I thought it was 4 per pack. That is pretty fuckawesome.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Everyone knows the Link Amiibo is going to have more use than any other character, maybe Mario's will tie it. I wonder who will buy the other Amiibos...

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    Everyone knows the Link Amiibo is going to have more use than any other character, maybe Mario's will tie it. I wonder who will buy the other Amiibos...

People who don't like Link / don't own Hyrule Warriors.

So, terrible people.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    Okay, compatibility questions

How do Wii titles work on the WiiU, and what's the situation with conrollers? Can I still use my GCN ones?

The U has what is basically a Wii in it. You load up the Wii mode when you want to play those games. That includes the Wii eshop. I can't answer the control question though.

How do Wii titles work on the WiiU, and what's the situation with conrollers? Can I still use my GCN ones?

You can only use wii remote/nunchuck and classic controllers with Wii mode. No GameCube controllers or Wii U controllers.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA

You can only use wii remote/nunchuck and classic controllers with Wii mode. No GameCube controllers or Wii U controllers.

Okay, so the Pro Controller may be a necessity. I'm still trying to work out the logistics of how this all works, since my mental picture of the system is "tablet with joysticks". In fact, looking through the nintendo website it seems like a more accurate picture to say the Gamepad is a Wiimote with a screen.

Let's say I want to play Metroid Prime 3 on a WiiU - Do I need a TV and sensor bar + wiimote/nunchuck ? What about something like Wind Waker? How much can I do with just the Gamepad vs. needing to set the gamepad down and use a dedicated controller on a dedicated screen?

edited November 2014
    Wind Waker is made for the U, so you don't need a sensor bar or anything to play. You will need it for the Wii games (although I am not totally clear on whether the Motion+ needs the sensor bar). BUT I am pretty sure you can use the gamepad as your screen and it can read the wiimotes. Pretty sure that was patched in a while ago.

Mulletude on
  • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    (Wiimotes have two basic functions. They have a pointing function that uses the sensor bar to orientate itself. The also have a movement function where a gyro tells the wii how you are moving the wiimote. The wiimotes with motion+ have a better gyro that can tells the wii much more detailed movement data such as the angle of movement. Original wiimotes basically just said "it's moving and its moving XX fast.)

In WiiU games, you can do anything with the Gamepad except point at the screen. It's a full controller that just happens to have a large touch screen in the middle. It has a motion sensor used for tilting and stuff as well, but it doesn't have the pointer of a wiimote. It also has a microphone and speaker.

The sensor bar is only for Wiimotes. You'll only need it if you play a Wii U game that supports Wiimotes, navigating the Wii U menus with a wiimote, or playing Wii games.

If you play a Wii game on the Wii U, you'll go into Wii Mode where the system is basically a Wii and you'll need to use wiimotes and the sensor bar. Motion+ controllers still use the sensor bar for the pointer function.

Edit: The Pro controller is just a controller. Buttons, rumble, and an 80 hour battery life. Nothing else.

McFlynn on
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    The Gamepad has all of the functionality of the pro controller plus the touchscreen, mic, and gyroscope, any game that allows you to use the pro controller will allow you to use the gamepad. As far as I know no wii u games force you to use a wii remote therefor you can play every wii u game with the gamepad and some can only be played with the gamepad.

To play wii games you need appropriate wii controllers (wii remote, classic controller), no wii u controllers work with wii games (new wii remotes have wii u branding but still work with wii games). Both wii remote normal and motion+ require a sensor bar, the gamepad can act as a sensor bar but I think it only works when it's on so when you boot into wii mode you have to select the option to display the game on the gamepad as well.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    The Gamepad has all of the functionality of the pro controller plus the touchscreen, mic, and gyroscope, any game that allows you to use the pro controller will allow you to use the gamepad. As far as I know no wii u games force you to use a wii remote therefor you can play every wii u game with the gamepad and some can only be played with the gamepad.

To play wii games you need appropriate wii controllers (wii remote, classic controller), no wii u controllers work with wii games (new wii remotes have wii u branding but still work with wii games). Both wii remote normal and motion+ require a sensor bar, the gamepad can act as a sensor bar but I think it only works when it's on so when you boot into wii mode you have to select the option to display the game on the gamepad as well.

This is only true for single-player, thus far. Nintendoland multiplayer games require Wii Remotes, a few other multiplayer titles probably do too (though most will let you use your own assortment of Wii Remote/Gamepad/WiiU Pro Controller/Wii Classic Controller. I know, nit-picking.

Man, Nintendo has so many controllers out it is crazy. And now we're doubling up with Gamecube stuff.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Wind Waker is made for the U, so you don't need a sensor bar or anything to play. You will need it for the Wii games (although I am not totally clear on whether the Motion+ needs the sensor bar). BUT I am pretty sure you can use the gamepad as your screen and it can read the wiimotes. Pretty sure that was patched in a while ago.

I'm talking about using my gamecube windwaker disc, if that's even possible. It sounds like if I wanted to play gamecube games that aren't on VC or whatever digital distro there is for the U I could either do it using the gamepad as the controller or get a Pro controller.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Wii U doesn't play Gamecube games. That's why they're remaking GC games for it.

uyvfOQy.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Wii U doesn't play Gamecube games. That's why they're remaking GC games for it.

Er, they've revamped (not remade) one GC game, and haven't announced anything else in that vein. What are you referring to?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    He was wanting to use his GC Wind Waker disc on the Wii U.

uyvfOQy.png
  • KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I don't know about anybody else, but I'm officially in "Too Many Games" mode. Bayonetta 1 & 2 plus Lone Survivor, Stealth Inc and now The Swapper.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Ironically, hackers have found that the Wii OS inside the WiiU has full 100% support for playing Gamecube games natively... there's just no disc, controller, or memory card ports for it by default.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    A bit of a pity, considering the USB adapter. If a similar one were introduced with a memory card port, the WiiU would be a veritable Nintendo Festival Of Fun And Excitement Forever.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    I don't know about anybody else, but I'm officially in "Too Many Games" mode. Bayonetta 1 & 2 plus Lone Survivor, Stealth Inc and now The Swapper.

Yeah, I'm holding off on eShop stuff a bit longer. Gotta clear out the Bayonettas and all the other stuff on my list before we get to anything more, because if I don't, I'm not going to finish anything.

On interesting gamepad ideas: a port of Five Nights at Freddy's, with the gamepad acting as the tablet/camera system. That perfectly augments the tension of having to look down for a moment while hoping something doesn't appear out of nowhere. The triggers function as the left door/right door system. That occurred to me basically as soon as I heard the concept of that game.

edzepp on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    A bit of a pity, considering the USB adapter. If a similar one were introduced with a memory card port, the WiiU would be a veritable Nintendo Festival Of Fun And Excitement Forever.

If the WiiU could read Cube discs I'd be so happy. I wouldn't have any more reason to keep my poor battered, half-working Wii around - its disc drive is almost gone, but it's my only way to play GC games.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Ironically, hackers have found that the Wii OS inside the WiiU has full 100% support for playing Gamecube games natively... there's just no disc, controller, or memory card ports for it by default.

This isn't just something that hackers have found...you can go into Wii mode and load it with homebrew the same way you would a real Wii, and someone wrote a program to play Cube games from a hard drive. Just...y'know, doing that isn't recommended, since Nintendo might refuse to service your Wii U if it breaks and they discover this stuff.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »

Yeah, I'm holding off on eShop stuff a bit longer. Gotta clear out the Bayonettas and all the other stuff on my list before we get to anything more, because if I don't, I'm not going to finish anything.

On interesting gamepad ideas: a port of Five Nights at Freddy's, with the gamepad acting as the tablet/camera system. That perfectly augments the tension of having to look down for a moment while hoping something doesn't appear out of nowhere. The triggers function as the left door/right door system. That occurred to me basically as soon as I heard the concept of that game.

5 Nights would be a pretty cool port for Wii U if you added the Game Pad into the mix. You'd probably have to modify the things in order to make the game work, but it would be pretty sweet if done right.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    edzepp wrote: »

5 Nights would be a pretty cool port for Wii U if you added the Game Pad into the mix. You'd probably have to modify the things in order to make the game work, but it would be pretty sweet if done right.

No no. Shoe horned in Gamepad controls would entice no one. They need to do a Nintendo themed spin off ala Hyrule Warriors. Imagine Five Nights at Shiggy's! Being a night guard at Nintendo seemed like a dream job until you're terrorized by horrifying animatronic Pikachu, Kirby, Fox McCloud and, of course smiling Shiggy himself!

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So. I'm in the market for a WiiU and that $200 refurbished deal is totally up my alley.

I'm planning on getting Xenoblade and Bayonetta 2 first.

One thing I'm wondering is how the controller situation works with Wii games on the WiiU? Can you play with the default(or even the pro controller because I'm planning on getting that for Bayonetta) or do you have to do something extra?