As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

East 2015 Q&A Thread

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Coleycow wrote: »
    I submitted myself for a panel for PAX East, and I was wondering about a few things...

When and how should I receive feedback (whether I was accepted or denied)?

Is there an age limit for hosting a panel?

Does everyone in my party get a speaker pass or only the ones involved in the panel?

And finally, is there a separate area where I can sign up for the Jam Space in the Boston Convention Center, or do I just cite in the 'extra information' section, "I would like to perform in the Jam Space"?
    I wouldn't expect feedback on the panel submission until after panel submissions are closed. IIRC when I submitted a panel to PAX Prime, I heard back within a few weeks after submissions closed. Considering panel submissions close on 12/22 I wouldn't expect to hear back till January.

I don't know of an age restriction for panel submissions or panelists. That might be a good question for pax_questions@paxsite.com.

The only people who get the speaker passes are the named panelists who will be on the panel.

for the jamspace, that's run by the magfest crew still as far as I know. Talk to @NickTheNewbie‌ and I *think* he can get you info on that.

• ColeycowColeycow Registered User new member
    Thank you so much!!

• NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    Received. Will reply in PM.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    Honestly megan even i you friends dont go you should still go you can still have a great time. As far as the wait I agree maybe they should give us like a hey it will be this week or something like that but the exact day i dont think works

• JoveJove Registered User regular
    rascrush wrote: »
    Honestly megan even i you friends dont go you should still go you can still have a great time. As far as the wait I agree maybe they should give us like a hey it will be this week or something like that but the exact day i dont think works

I would definitely be fine if they just tweeted something like that. "Oh hey btw, badges go on sale this week".

I'm literally losing sleep over this. It's almost sadist.

edited November 2014
    rascrush, jove, this thread is for Qs and As

zerzhul on
  • ganciganci Registered User new member
    I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on how to apply to become an enforcer?

• cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    I've never done it, but I'm pretty sure enforcer applications open up on the website sometime after ticket sales and are announced on the Twitter. Those applications fill up fast too though.

Once enforcer applications are open (if they open), they will be available here: http://east.paxsite.com/enforcers

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    ganci wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on how to apply to become an enforcer?
    As an example of the application form you can take a look at the current PAX South Enforcer app which is up now. Its likely to be the same or very similar. Please don't actually fill this one out unless you want to apply for South.
    http://south.paxsite.com/enforcers#join

Best suggestion I can make to increasing the chances of your app getting accepted is to take it as seriously as you would a real job application, and don't forget to mention any customer service experience you have had. Retail jobs are usually heavy in customer service. Also please please read and understand the first paragraph. You will be expected to check the forums regularly and will need to do a shift each day. You can't just work all one day and be free the rest of the time.

Also #e applications are not a first come first served thing. Kristin picks the best X applications from all those that apply after the applications close, X being a number that likely only she knows and fluctuates from PAX to PAX based on a number of factors.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • blefblef Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    mod edit: merged from single question thread titled "Will PAX be sending out a tweet 24h before selling tickets this year?"

zerzhul on
  • TurQTurQ New York CityRegistered User regular
    The general thought behind this is "No one truly knows, but it is doubtful." Last year was the only time they ever did it. Even this years PAXaus and PAXsouth.. the tickets were not announced ahead of time.

blef wrote: »
    mod edit: merged from single question thread titled "Will PAX be sending out a tweet 24h before selling tickets this year?"
    extremely unlikely

• KnownDominanceKnownDominance Registered User regular
    Given how it went last year with the 24h tweet, I don't assume they will do it again this year.

• InscrutableGamerInscrutableGamer IDLE ACCOUNT Registered User regular
    If you've seen the discussion over on the "Save the Date" thread, we actually went over this a bit.
    Given that last year's East was the first (and since then, only) time they've ever tweeted in advance, it seems as though it was more like a test or an experiment than an actual change of habit.
    Get those Twitter notifications ready. I smell a Monday drop.

PAX East 2015: Passes For All Days [X] -- Free Time [X] -- Pass For Girlfriend [X] -- Hype [X]
    PAX EAST 2015 IS A GO!
    I dont understand the thought behind not letting us know, I am at school all day how can i possibly get tickets? Esp when I am buying for 7 people

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    I dont understand the thought behind not letting us know, I am at school all day how can i possibly get tickets? Esp when I am buying for 7 people

1) the reasons have been addressed a LOT on these forums and elsewhere 2) it's hard for everyone, we all have things to do 3) there is a cap of 4 or 5 badges per person, so you probably will not be able to buy for 7 people, unless you're going on different days or something. you should probably work out an alternate plan.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    tvethiopia wrote: »

1) the reasons have been addressed a LOT on these forums and elsewhere 2) it's hard for everyone, we all have things to do 3) there is a cap of 4 or 5 badges per person, so you probably will not be able to buy for 7 people, unless you're going on different days or something. you should probably work out an alternate plan.

My plan was to do it in 2 different transactions, and not go for 3 day passes. As I understand it you can buy 4 weekends worth of tickets. Does anyone know if you need to change ip's before doing the second transaction or is it just per time you pay?

• BearTheHumanBearTheHuman Registered User regular

My plan was to do it in 2 different transactions, and not go for 3 day passes. As I understand it you can buy 4 weekends worth of tickets. Does anyone know if you need to change ip's before doing the second transaction or is it just per time you pay?

That's taking a risk. If they find out that you have surpassed the badge limit, you'll have them all revoked. No one else can also buy badges in your group?

• PilotPSKPilotPSK Registered User new member

That's taking a risk. If they find out that you have surpassed the badge limit, you'll have them all revoked. No one else can also buy badges in your group?

That is taking a huge and a low-probability risk as well. The organizers check all the transactions and doing it that way will compromise all the tickets you purchase. In addition, Saturday badges sell out almost as quickly as 3-day passes do. The chances of you getting through the queue twice for every day is almost as low as doing the same for 3-day badges. Then you have to worry about over-purchasing the limit. You may want to rethink the plan to make sure everyone can get in.

it's not very likely you'll be able to dodge the badge limit with multiple transactions. that's exactly what scalpers want to do, so that's exactly the kind of thing they try to block and screen for. like others have already mentioned, trying to buy for 7 people will most likely result in no one getting badges.

to be clear (and someone please correct me if i am wrong), the badge limit is 4 humans per day. here are some examples of forms this could take:

4 3-day badges (4 badges total - 4 humans per day)
    4 fri, 4 sat, 4 sun badges (12 badges total - 4 humans per day)
    2 3-day badges, 2 fri badges, 2 sat badges (6 badges total, 2-4 humans per day)

anything exceeding this, even in multiple transactions, is going to set off a red flag.

7YIpfE5.png
  • shepdshepd Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Unless someone knows something I don't (And I've been to three PAXes with enough friends I've always bought 5) the limit is 5 badges at PAX East. If you need more badges, as I've always needed more, you will need another friend (or non-PAX-going family member so long as you DO NOT use will call, ie: You are Canadian or American and pay for shipping) at a different address to buy them on a different credit card with a different name.

Using the same card multiple times so you get more than 5 = Lose the badges
    Using a different card registered to the same name OR same address so you get more than 5 = Lost the badges
    Having more than 5 badges shipped to one address = Lose the badges

There may be other checks, say, purchases from the same IP. However, the above are specifically obvious ways PAX knows you bought more than 5 without PAX knowing that there's more than 2 people going. That means reselling and that is a big NO.

Best of luck!

EDIT: By 5 badges, I mean enough badges for 5 people to attend PAX for 5 days. Which means 5 x 3-days (what I always got) or a combination where a group of Friday, Saturday and Sunday badges = a single 3 day badge. eg: 3 x 3 days + 2 x Friday, 2 x Saturday, 2 x Sunday.

shepd on
    shepd wrote: »
    Unless someone knows something I don't (And I've been to three PAXes with enough friends I've always bought 5) the limit is 5 badges at PAX East.

did you buy 5 badges last year? i also thought it was 5, but i've seen several other people say 4 so i assumed they'd changed it. can anyone else confirm what the limit was last year, or if anything has been stated for this year? i couldn't find it in last year's faq.

7YIpfE5.png
    Last year it was 4. Unless it changed, it's still 4

• Pirate CaptainPirate Captain Registered User regular
    shepd wrote: »
    Having more than 5 badges shipped to one address = Lose the badges

Are you sure about this one? In the past I've had my badges shipped to my home but recently we've had a spat of mail being stolen, so I was going to have them sent to the office instead. I work in a tech field and am surrounded by nerds so the odds that a coworker or two are going to do the same seems pretty high, especially since I've been talking up how much fun I've had in previous years. I really don't want to run afoul of the rules just because I work with other people who also like PAX!

edited November 2014
    I was also wondering how the office thing worked. I was planning on buying badges with my cc but if he could, my brother would also buy badges on his Cc but have those shipped to his office. As it stands we have 7 people going on outr trip, but 3 know they are most likely coming to just see Boston unless we can scrounge 3 more badges.

So my question is, me and my brother live together and the billing address is the same on our cards, but if the address is different will they cancel the order?

cardkid123 on
    cardkid123 wrote: »
    Last year it was 4. Unless it changed, it's still 4

No, it isn't. Either that or they change the order page for just me every year. :biggrin:

Here's my receipt from last year (blanked out the good stuff, of course) (If I knew what email they came from for 2013 and 2012, I'd be able to get you those, too) (yes, I blanked out the good stuff and left my credit card info off):

jjz69fonmmcs.png

This year, actually, will mark the first time I don't buy 5. I'll be getting 3 this year, last year's PAX wasn't good enough to attract the others, and I think the idea of it being stuffed full of high school students (it's on during NE states March Break) is putting off a few others as well.
    Are you sure about this one? In the past I've had my badges shipped to my home but recently we've had a spat of mail being stolen, so I was going to have them sent to the office instead. I work in a tech field and am surrounded by nerds so the odds that a coworker or two are going to do the same seems pretty high, especially since I've been talking up how much fun I've had in previous years. I really don't want to run afoul of the rules just because I work with other people who also like PAX!

In this case I can't be absolutely sure because they don't really announce their methods for finding scalpers (and they don't say what will get your passes revoked except "multiple orders"). However, doing a database search for identical addresses would be the very first thing anyone would think of with trying to catch offenders. I just think based on that it's a strong possibility. It's a simple enough thing to avoid I'd just suggest it for anyone who will have a large group.

Are you sure. I remember last year that I could only buy 4 and we only took 4 people on my trip for that reason.

• aurethiousaurethious Registered User regular
    I actually emailed PAX Customer Service on Friday asking them about ticket purchasing limits. Got a response almost immediately.

"There is a limit of 4 per ticket type, per person."

Alexander, the Determined Coach - PPL East '13
    Alexander, the Emerald Knight - PPL East '14

Come join the ION Pokémon League!
    aurethious wrote: »
    I actually emailed PAX Customer Service on Friday asking them about ticket purchasing limits. Got a response almost immediately.

"There is a limit of 4 per ticket type, per person."

Yah that's what I figured. I don't know how these other people got 5.

edited November 2014
    Alright, I've emailed and asked myself since I'm surprised at the change, if there's been one. 3 years is a lot of years for the PAX crew to screw up and allow 5 badge sales, though... And I've even given them reason in the past to scrutinize my purchase, since the first time I went I had to bug them a few times about "what's a will call?" and "how am I to get my badges if I won't be in Boston until late Thursday?" :)

shepd on
    It has been 5 for pax east (and some other paxes) in the past. It was changed to 4 for prime and south and as posted above looks like east this year as well will be 4.

• Pirate CaptainPirate Captain Registered User regular
    I was also wondering how the office thing worked. I was planning on buying badges with my cc but if he could, my brother would also buy badges on his Cc but have those shipped to his office. As it stands we have 7 people going on outr trip, but 3 know they are most likely coming to just see Boston unless we can scrounge 3 more badges.

So my question is, me and my brother live together and the billing address is the same on our cards, but if the address is different will they cancel the order?

I just sent customer service an email and they got back to me within a few minutes with the following:

"You can have your tickets shipped to whatever address, you need them shipped to."

So I think I'm ok. They must be using some other method to detect people trying to get around the restriction.

Has anyone in the past refreshed the showclix search with "pax east" in the search? Have you had any success? Theoretically, it will be there before it is even updated on the website, so with luck you would be the first to get access. Does it work?

• jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    Has anyone in the past refreshed the showclix search with "pax east" in the search? Have you had any success? Theoretically, it will be there before it is even updated on the website, so with luck you would be the first to get access. Does it work?

Great question. I set up a Page Monitor alert on that, just in case.

npyymaqh3gup.png

SSHHHHHHHHHHH stop telling everyone! ;)

7YIpfE5.png
  • tipsy_tommotipsy_tommo Registered User regular
    Hey everyone! This is my first experience buying badges, and I'll be getting them for my boyfriend. I've been trying to research as much as I can and get all the information, because I would prefer not to screw this up xD

Anyway, is there any particular person I should follow on Twitter/Facebook for updates, other than the official page? Or any websites I should keep a close watch on? If you have any tips and tricks for me I'd really appreciate it :)

Also, since I'll be buying the badges with my credit card, do I need to put him name down anywhere during sign-up or can I just have them shipped to his house?

Follow rkhoo .... Badges are not personalized

• Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Hey everyone! This is my first experience buying badges, and I'll be getting them for my boyfriend. I've been trying to research as much as I can and get all the information, because I would prefer not to screw this up xD

Anyway, is there any particular person I should follow on Twitter/Facebook for updates, other than the official page? Or any websites I should keep a close watch on? If you have any tips and tricks for me I'd really appreciate it :)

Also, since I'll be buying the badges with my credit card, do I need to put him name down anywhere during sign-up or can I just have them shipped to his house?

You want to follow and sign up for alerts if you can from
    https://twitter.com/Official_PAX
    You may also want to follow https://twitter.com/rkhoo as well as Gabe and Tycho they may retweet the annoucement.

The only site you really need to watch is the main PAX east website, as for the shipping i am not sure you may just be best to get them to your house and then give him his.

Sgt.Mays on
    Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • PurpleSkyPurpleSky Registered User regular

It probably would be better to have them shipped to your house to be safe. Besides its probably better effect to give them to him in person. Also, follow Robert Khoo. https://twitter.com/rkhoo