As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[pbp] [5E] Lost Mines of Phandelver

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Welcome to the 2 Good Stats and Let's Not Talk About the Rest club!

I'm having a T-Shirt made.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah no way I'm taking those stats.

I'll roll a halfelf warlock, and vote for an all-halfelf party!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Half-elves are overpowered, it's true. Let's take all the good parts of being an elf, AND a human, and put them together. It's not like our players are min-maxing power gamers, right?

Eh, I don't think they're too overpowered, just very, very good for anything that uses Charisma.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Eh, I don't think they're too overpowered, just very, very good for anything that uses Charisma.

Along with Humans they're the only race that can start with 16 in any stat when using point buy. Overpowered was tongue-in-cheek, but they are able to play any class without disadvantage, which is not true of all the races.

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    if I wewere more into homebrew, I'd probably move the primary Stat bonuses to the classes, while leaving some abilities on theraces.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I like the 13th Age approach of giving two choices for both class and race, but they can't overlap.

Capfalcon wrote: »
    I like the 13th Age approach of giving two choices for both class and race, but they can't overlap.

They supposedly toyed with that early on in the play test, dunno why they didn't keep it.

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Yeah no way I'm taking those stats.

I'll roll a halfelf warlock, and vote for an all-halfelf party!

Man, I'd totally take those stats if I didn't already have a character in mind. Maybe a Wilhelm II inspired Warlock Noble who, tired of being made fun of by his peers, started setting people on fire with his brain.

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Those stats are better than raistlin's

He did OK for himself

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Got a character sheet, just writing up a blurb. Should have it posted later today.

@belligerent‌ would at all be okay to say, "I definitely want to play, but wish to reserve making a character until you have the group formed, so I can fill in any gaps and make sure we don't have two of the same thing" ? Or do you have enough applicants at this point that you'll be able to prevent that from happening anyway?

that's fine. it's about 24 hours until I close the recruitment. at that point I'll list the players and reserves/waitlist.

Okay. Leaning Warlock, but I could also bring in Geoffrey, my fighter/rogue.

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Alright, I went back and forth, back and forth, knowing that I was unlikely to play, but still wanting to put in a guy. Here's what I got for a sheet. I'm still working on the backstory, but I think you can get an idea of where I'll be going with it.

Amon'kul, Emerald Knight (Dragonborn Paladin)

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    That's a really nice dragonborn knight picture. Almost makes him resemble an Iron Golem.

Characters
    I love the juggernaut type fighter. I went paladin just because I haven't seen one played yet. If I play him, I'll probably take the Seninel Feat at 4th and be a reasonable copy of a 4e Defender.

edited November 2014
    I'm still not sure how to visualize my own character's role. Partly this is a result of a low CON score, but it's mostly that...sure, I could be a tank, but I'm not really affecting anyone else in my party as a defender would (like your Sentinel example). I can just make myself comparatively extremely hard to hit (the intent is to eventually take Defensive Duelist so I can alternate between Shield and...not-Shield), and mitigate a substantial amount of damage, while having access to magic shenanigans.

Eldritch Knight fighters are weird

Aegis on
    Characters
    Aegis wrote: »
    I'm still not sure how to visualize my own character's role. Partly this is a result of a low CON score, but it's mostly that...sure, I could be a tank, but I'm not really affecting anyone else in my party as a defender would (like your Sentinel example). I can just make myself comparatively extremely hard to hit (the intent is to eventually take Defensive Duelist so I can alternate between Shield and...not-Shield), and mitigate a substantial amount of damage, while having access to magic shenanigans.

Eldritch Knight fighters are weird

You are able to wade into melee and cast point blank AoE spells like Thunderwave safely. Maybe take a look how I built my Eldritch Knight in Barrowtown? He ended up being like an Arcane Paladin.

Thunderwave's not a bad idea. Pity it doesn't prone on a failed save.

Characters
    So, currently I have 8 interested parties. As it stands, the current party is looking to be:

mongrel
    ageis
    Jpants
    carnarvon
    TOX

with
    nealneal
    silence1186
    johnnycache

as options. I see the character sheets already. so I'm hoping things shake out okay for everyone involved. I'll see you all tomorrow. I will also post more of the story tomorrow as well.

• Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Woohoo! So we've got, what, Elf Fighter, Elf Fighter/Wizard, Human Rogue, and whatever JPants and TOX bring? Seems like we should be able to avoid all dying horrible miles beneath the earth's surface.

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Pretty sure I got everything right but let me know if i messed up anywhere. First time with 5E character gen.
    Elashor "Lash"

Male Wood Elf Ranger 2
    Chaotic Good
    Background: Outlander

Personality Trait: I'm driven by a wanderlust that led me away from home.
    Ideal: Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it.
    Bond: My mentor is the most important thing in my life, even when he is far from me.
    Flaw: I am slow to trust members of other races, tribes, and societies.

Ability Scores
    STR 11 (+0)
    DEX 16 (+3)
    CON 12 (+1)
    INT 12 (+1)
    WIS 16 (+3)
    CHA 8 (-1)

Armor Class: 14 = 10 + 1 [leather] + 3 [dexterity]

Initiative: +3
    Passive Perception: 15

HP: 20
    Hit Dice: 2 (2d10)

Proficiencies
    Proficiency Bonus: +2
    Saving Throws: STR (+2), DEX (+5)
    Armor: Light, Medium, Shields
    Weapons: Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons
    Tools: None
    Skills: Athletics (+2), Investigation (+3), Nature (+3), Perception (+5), Stealth (+5), Survival (+5)
    Riding a mount

Fey Ancestry: Immunity to Magical Sleep, Advantage vs. Charmed Saving Throws
    Trance: Instead of sleeping, spend four hours in a sleep-like state but remain fully aware of surroundings

Mask of the Wild: You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by foilage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena

Class Features
    Favored Enemy: Beasts - Adv to track and Int info rolls; learn a language
    Favored Terrain: Forest - Double prof on Int and Wis checks
    Fighting Style (Archery): +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.

Senses: Darkvision (60 ft.)

Languages: Common, Elvish, Draconic

Speed: 35 ft. (Fleet of Foot)

Known/Prepared Spells
    Level 1 (2 slots)
    : Cure Wounds, Fog Cloud

Melee Basic Attack (Short Sword)
    Attack: +5
    Damage: 1d6+3 piercing

Ranged Basic Attack (Longbow)
    Attack: +7
    Damage: 1d8+3 piercing

Spell Attack
    Attack: +5
    Spell Save DC: 13

Equiment
    Gold: 69g 96s 96c
    Longbow
    Sling
    Short Sword
    Staff
    Leather Armor
    Explorer's Pack
    40 Arrows
    20 Bullets
    Hunting Trap
    Potion of Healing
    Healer's kit

Elashor has been an orphan his entire life, though if you were to ask him about it he would say he is a child of the woods. Raised by his mentor Varil, a hunter/explorer/sometimes guide thru the massive forest they call home, he found his affinity for all things Nature at an early age. His skill with the bow was less of a natural gift and more honed over years of training with Varil.

It wasn't long (only a shade past 100 years or so) before Elashor began to yearn for the world outside the woods he knew so well. As hard as it was to leave Varil, his only kith or kin, Elashor embraced the change as he would the warming of the days as spring turns to summer.

And so he left the only man and place he had known to explore the world and maybe have an adventure or two. With him he carries a few weapons, some survival equipment, and the two most important things he carried: a necklace made from the claw of the dire bear he stalked and killed solo as proof to Varil that he was ready to "leave the nest", and a staff. A carved vine wound it's way along the entire 7 foot length of the staff. Varil had crafted it himself and gifted it to Elashor on the day he left home.

JPants on
    No potential healer is going to be intriguing!

Party looks fun though. I vote we give Polk an honorary set of wooden ear-tips so he doesn't feel left out.

Characters
    Yeah... So should I jump on the cleric grenade (I strongly dislike spellcasting in 5th) or say screw it and damn us all by playing, like, a fighter or something?

Weren't you thinking up a warlock? That's totally a spellcaster! Kinda. Please don't steal my soul and use it to fuel your demonic powers

I don't necessarily mind coming up with a healer concept, though I imagine we should await @belligerent 's comment on the matter.

Characters
    It's completely up to you guys. I am not completely restricting healing potions, but they are expensive. I personally play a cleric and find the tempest and war domains able to scratch that combat itch very well. Druids, bards, Paladins, and clerics can all heal. So it's not like you will be without healing all together.

My final ruling is pretty simple: Play what you want. Have fun.

You guys could always plumb the waitlist if you need heals, since the whole waitlist can heal.

• Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Tox, you could play somebody with the Healer feat and a bunch of healing kits and the like. Take the Hermit background for proficiency with herbalist kits and be a roving herbalist dude. It gives us some not-inconsiderable healing between combats, and can at least get people back on their feet mid-combat (since it lets you heal 1 hp when you use a healer's kit to stabilize a dying character). Between that and Lanlor we might be alright. I could see herbalism and hermitage fitting with an Archfey warlock.

Edit: Just reread this and it sounded a bit too directive for my tastes. Just offering a suggestion if you feel like plugging the healer gap, but play the dude you wanna play.

Mongrel Idiot on
    I am also thinking pulling in a sixth. I'm going to wait until tonight to make my final decision.

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    The healing hit dice in 5e is a pretty neat feature. I think we can pool a few health pots and be alright.

Actually, @nealneal how did you create that shareable Character sheet?

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I'm going to try to sneak in a character under the line here. Either a cleric or a druid.

I used a form-fillable .pdf, printed it to a .xps file and then uploaded the .xps to Google Drive.

Druid? Powergamer...

Nealneal wrote: »
    I used a form-fillable .pdf, printed it to a .xps file and then uploaded the .xps to Google Drive.

The one from the Wizards website?

edited November 2014
    I don't think so. I just googled for a form-fillable sheet and used the first one I liked.

Nealneal on
    Okay. will edit the first post later, but recruitment is closed.
    Final party is @tox , @aegis , @mongrel idiot , @jpants , @carnavon , and @denada . If you haven't already, post your sheets. Also please roll 5 Initiatives. The game will start tomorrow some time (I'll probably throw up the intro post early, before work). I want you guys to come up with a reason your in the adventuring company, and a connection to one other character in the group. or more, but at least one.

So, initiatives, character sheet if you haven't already, and a reason you're in the group and how you know one other character. Then you're on the road to Phandalin.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Sigrid Blackflower, Human Druid

Sigrid was (she would say wistfully, staring toward the mountains...) a proud member of the Snowpiercer tribe. City-folk would call them barbarians, but that didn't stop them from trading with those barbarians for dire wolf furs when the hands of winter stretched southward.

Growing up she always believed that the tribe was strongest of the human race, which is why they were set apart so far north, where only they could survive. Such views were shaken when she came south with her family as part of a trade caravan. Monsters struck the caravan, hard and fast, leaving little time for her family to defend themselves. She couldn't think, let alone fight, and before she realized what her legs were doing she found herself running away, unable to stop or turn back.

That experience left her with a new understanding of humanity. First, she understood that she was not the strongest human, at least not yet, so she would spend her life adventuring, defeating the most fearsome monsters she could find until nothing could overcome her. Second, she vowed never to flee her family or friends again. She would watch over them as a wolf watches over her pups. She would meet every challenge with the strength of the dire wolf that served as her tribe's symbol. She didn't deserve a place in the Frozenfar yet, but she would earn it.

Minion, roll 5#1d20+1 for Initiatives.

Initiatives:
    5#1d20+1 5 # 13 [1d20=12] 2 [1d20=1] 19 [1d20=18] 16 [1d20=15] 4 [1d20=3]

Denada on
    I stared for like a good solid minute at those ability scores thinking, "Man, a 1 1 2 1 2 1 spread is uh...oh wait, those are the bonuses."

Characters