As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HALO] is dead.

• Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. Outside of core gamers, and PC gamers, downloading hasn't caught on as much on consoles. I have a few friends that really only play select games that don't buy anything digital. They have a lot of the concerns we got over years and years ago through liberal Steam usage.

I know one friend out of ten who are avid gamers who downloads all of his games. I also have friends who have pc's that use steam but I think thats in a category all its own.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    God Microsoft customer support and service is god awful. They supposedly shipped my XBox back to me last Thursday, but the tracking number they have listed is still not in Fedex's system three business days later. So either they didn't actually ship it and their system is god awful terrible and lacking a state between "fixed it" and "shipped it back", or the tracking number they entered is wrong (also stupid and god awful), or they just flat haven't taken it to Fedex yet after three business days marked "shipped back" (completely unacceptable).

At any rate, who knows when I'll get to reprise my role as Master Chief. Could be tomorrow, could be next week. I'm just as likely to find out from an Amazonian shaman as I am to get a reasonable answer from Microsoft's god awful system.

If MS is using that FedEx service that has something to do with the (goddamned awful) USPS, there's a mystery delay where it doesn't update for 2 or 3 days and just shows having a shipping label without having the package yet. I had to deal with this for a FreedomPop phone a few weeks ago and I don't really understand why they even have tracking if the only two states are waiting for receipt and delivered.

On the other hand, Woot lost my order a few months ago somewhere between their warehouse and FedEx's depot (they refunded me my payment), so apparently that's a thing, too.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Dudes there are 43 people in front of me in line to pick up Halo

I am fascinated by this crowd in the era of downloads

I honestly did expect anyone to really be here

Eh I still prefer physical copies. Maybe I'm just old. But forget lines. I went to walmart at 1230 and got mine no problem. Only other person I saw was some old man inspecting the fruit. Installing now, but I'm heading to bed. Have tomorrow off.

Steam: offday
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »

I'm confused at this. Personally speaking, that looks pretty dang sweet (jetpacks are the hot thing to do in FPS games these days, so it's good to see Halo embracing it (granted, I'll miss the Halo: Reach style jetpacks...but oh well). That level of mobility might actually get me to hop on for some non-Firefight/non-Spartan Ops styled multiplayer.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I'm confused at this. Personally speaking, that looks pretty dang sweet (jetpacks are the hot thing to do in FPS games these days, so it's good to see Halo embracing it (granted, I'll miss the Halo: Reach style jetpacks...but oh well). That level of mobility might actually get me to hop on for some non-Firefight/non-Spartan Ops styled multiplayer.

Maybe he meant the voice?

Because if memory serves the classic halo kill voiceover had more of a rumble to it.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Matchmaking is still busted for me despite reports that it was getting better. Co-op worked fine, it's multi that's no good right now. I have played maybe 3-4 matches. Really enjoying the changes to Ascension with the shield, adds a dynamic counter to tower campers.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Oh god, of all the damn stupid things to do; why did they add aim down sights?
    (I did not watch the video, just looked at the image, so ignore this if it's just the usual scope)

cB557 on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    So much for the 60GB I pre-downloaded.

Updating... 3 percent...

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Eh, it's kind of like your favorite band's next album not being as good to you as the earlier ones because their music evolved and most of the band members have changed/left.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    it's taken me over 12 hours to re-download this thing. Disaster id say. This is worse than the Halo 4 map pack release.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Are the download servers hammered? I started at 10 central last night and at 7 it was at 17%. I have no idea how to check download speed bit I have a 20mbps and regularly get that.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Damn can we at least try the beta before we start trashing the game?

• sockssocks Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »

Updating... 3 percent...

Yeah, I didn't have time to play, but when I checked this morning my Halo was not installed. I think it might have something to do with my external hard drive. It is sometimes slow to start up so instead of installing the game, the Xbox One thought I had no space and stopped it...and never restarted it. I hope it is good to go tonight though.

Mine installed ok last night, but yeah multi is messed up. I played one game and haven't been able to get in one since. It either takes forever to find players or hangs on setting up game.

what a cluster fuck. Game installed, now cant join a multiplayer game. Oh well, back to destiny.

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Honestly I really like what I'm hearing about Halo 5. The mobility sounds really fun. It's not classic Halo, but it could be just where the series needed to go.
    cB557 wrote: »
    Oh god, of all the damn stupid things to do; why did they add aim down sights?
    (I did not watch the video, just looked at the image, so ignore this if it's just the usual scope)

They said it works pretty much the same as the Halo scope always has. Just nicer-looking.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    More importantly, Halo 5 seems to be bringing Evil Master Chief in to play to hunt John-117 down for some unexplained crime. Can't wait for the rest of the second Halo trilogy story.

People have been speculating ONI versus Chief for a while.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    socks wrote: »
    Arteen wrote: »

Updating... 3 percent...

Yeah, I didn't have time to play, but when I checked this morning my Halo was not installed. I think it might have something to do with my external hard drive. It is sometimes slow to start up so instead of installing the game, the Xbox One thought I had no space and stopped it...and never restarted it. I hope it is good to go tonight though.

My download and installation took about 10 hours total, so you're right on track.

@BritishDavid whats up with the thread title?

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Man, the "hat trick!" "Killing frenzy!" Voice overs are like I took a time machine back to play UT2k4 and Guy Fieri came with me to narrate. I didn't know games still did that.

I have no nostalgia for classic Halo multi so the video seemed reasonably modern and fun.

I played the first mission and a half of single player Halo 1 last night and it seemed decent! It's hard to go from Destiny and Titanfall to more old school movement, no scopes/iron sights on most weapons, etc. But still - I'm pumped to play some history. I'm sure my halcyon memories of Doom - Quake 2 would feel a little archaic if I played the games today.

I am weirdly into hitting the button and going back and forth between Xbox 1 graphics and the tarted up new visuals. I'm glad they included that.

Yeah. Unless there's a documented issue with the install/external drive that title is kinda off, man.

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    sigh. Anyone know if places like Amazon are going to issue a code so I can download this soon. Otherwise, since I picked free shipping, it's going to be a while before I get this.

Yeah. Unless there's a documented issue with the install/external drive that title is kinda off, man.

How to fix Preload / Installation issue

"If you have already preloaded the game and it is asking you to download the full 60GB of game files again then do not worry we have a solution for this.
    Check the status of your game by going to My Games and Apps, if it shows Install/Unavailable, do not download the files again. Just completely switch off your console and wait for a couple of minutes. Then turn it on and the whole install issue should be fixed. This has worked for many, tell us if this solution worked for you too."

was too late for me.

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
    VoodooV wrote: »
    sigh. Anyone know if places like Amazon are going to issue a code so I can download this soon. Otherwise, since I picked free shipping, it's going to be a while before I get this.

it's funny, the thought of using amazon without prime is about as odd as having an xbox without gold to me. @_@

@BritishDavid: That's a better topic, could you maybe put that in the OP along with what the actual symptoms of the issue are? :P

okay so since Matchmaking is borked, I'm going to try and get a custom game going.... send me invites.

CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    More importantly, Halo 5 seems to be bringing Evil Master Chief in to play to hunt John-117 down for some unexplained crime. Can't wait for the rest of the second Halo trilogy story.

People have been speculating ONI versus Chief for a while.

Makes some sense. John-117 is basically the most capable, dangerous, Spartan ever to exist, and he Knows Too Much (tm). Especially if you take a look at Evil Master Chiefs armor. Look kind of Precusor/Forerunnerish? Probably not an accident.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I wonder if he teams up with Halsey?

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Aim down sights
    That awful fake enthusiastic announcer
    Spartans suddenly voiced
    Not an Elite in sight
    Supposed to go back to Halo's "roots" but looks more like Call of Duty more than ever
    Mid air boosting/abilities

I was told that this was supposed to be going back to the roots of the franchise but what I see is a critical misunderstanding of an arena shooter and the series that brought it to consoles.

anoffday wrote: »
    Damn can we at least try the beta before we start trashing the game?

Normally I'd agree but after the mess that was Halo 4, 343i is not to be trusted.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    "The mess that was Halo 4". That's like, your opinion man. I loved Halo 4, as did many of my friends. It was different, which per usual, bothers people.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    "The mess that was Halo 4". That's like, your opinion man. I loved Halo 4, as did many of my friends. It was different, which per usual, bothers people.

Of course it's my opinion I posted it, do I need to put "IMO" in front of everything? But I obviously don't speak for everyone, but I'm of the belief that there was too much change to the multiplayer. Loadouts, bad armor design, poor map design, and an extra emphasis on armor abilities. It wasn't a bad game per se but it was a trainwreck of a Halo game.

• sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They're not getting back to roots. They're not even at the same tree!

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
    edited November 2014
    Did they touch up Halo 3 at all?

Edit: Holy hell H2A looks nice. Kinda sad Halo 3 does not look this good but gotta sell H3A at some point I guess...

JusticeforPluto on
    edited November 2014
    I don't know. I enjoyed Halo 4. It wasn't my favorite, but I liked it and I've been playing Halo since 2001. I'm ok with 5 taking a different direction, especially since we have the MCC now.
    Did they touch up Halo 3 at all?

Edit: Holy hell H2A looks nice. Kinda sad Halo 3 does not look this good but gotta sell H3A at some point I guess...

Just 1080P 60 fps I think.

anoffday on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Matchmaking any better yet?

Alright, just watched some of the gameplay.
    So the ADS seems to pretty much just be an aesthetic difference, so no issue with that. I'm okay with the thrusting around and ledge grabs, gives a few small tools for mobility that could make fights a bit more dynamic and create more high-skill tricks that can be used to get around the map. I'm iffy about the ground pound. An AOE instakill that you spawn with? That seems too easy for how powerful that would be. Like, maybe if it telegraphs the move in some way so that you could dodge it if you're fast enough and left the user vulnerable for a moment, or if it wasn't instakill and you needed to put some rounds into the enemy first. Hopefully it is like that and I just couldn't tell from the video.

So the ADS seems to pretty much just be an aesthetic difference, so no issue with that. I'm okay with the thrusting around and ledge grabs, gives a few small tools for mobility that could make fights a bit more dynamic and create more high-skill tricks that can be used to get around the map. I'm iffy about the ground pound. An AOE instakill that you spawn with? That seems too easy for how powerful that would be. Like, maybe if it telegraphs the move in some way so that you could dodge it if you're fast enough and left the user vulnerable for a moment, or if it wasn't instakill and you needed to put some rounds into the enemy first. Hopefully it is like that and I just couldn't tell from the video.

ADS shouldn't be in Halo on principle, even if it is an aesthetic difference.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    MCC got and installing (this will take a while).

Add me to your One lists, if you please.

edited November 2014
    ADS shouldn't be in Halo on principle, even if it is an aesthetic difference.
    I don't see why not. The gameplay is exactly the same, might get a few new players who figured "oh Halo is just some old game that doesn't even have ADS like a modern game should" (and before you say "we don't want those people," a multiplayer-heavy game like Halo needs as many players as it can get.), and hell, I actually think it looks cooler. Those holographic sights are very spacefuture.

cB557 on
This discussion has been closed.