As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

East 2015 Q&A Thread

• tipsy_tommotipsy_tommo Registered User regular
    Thanks guys, I've followed those accounts and signed up for tweet notifications!

Also, what time of the day do they normally go on sale, and is there a pattern for the day? I'm a college student and while I could buy badges during class, I work 3:30-10 Monday and Tuesday and 1-4 on Friday. I'm scared to death they'll go on sale during those times :/ I could always skip my classes, but not work.

• Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Between 12-3 EST/9-12 PST So either morning or afternoon.

Sgt.Mays on
    Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
    That sounds great. Hopefully it's toward the earlier part of that so I can just get them during class.

Also, I was given advice to try and go for each single day pass rather than the 3-Day if I want to go all three days. Is that decent advice or should I just go for the 3-Day?

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    That sounds great. Hopefully it's toward the earlier part of that so I can just get them during class.

Also, I was given advice to try and go for each single day pass rather than the 3-Day if I want to go all three days. Is that decent advice or should I just go for the 3-Day?

If you plan to go all 3 days, get a 3 day badge if available. If not, just get singles.

The 3 day badge is cheaper, so it just makes sense if you'll actually use it.

• InscrutableGamerInscrutableGamer IDLE ACCOUNT Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

If you plan to go all 3 days, get a 3 day badge if available. If not, just get singles.

The 3 day badge is cheaper, so it just makes sense if you'll actually use it.

As I tell my friends, a good piece of advice for buying passes is:
    "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"

Essentially, while you may want to get 3-day passes, chances are that you will not get one unless you jump in right when the passes drop.
    Here's how it generally breaks down (all times are approximate):
    0m0s - Tickets go on sale on ShowClix
    0m5s - east.paxsite.com is updated to show ticket status
    0m6s - Bots and diehards go into action buying tickets, though some blast the news across the internet.
    0m12s - Word reaches the forums, Reddit, and the PAX twitter page. Site sees steady uptick in traffic.
    0m22s - Official_PAX tweets that tickets are now on sale. Site sees massive flood of traffic. Three-day passes are already steadily being sold.
    0m30s - The first few transactions for tickets are completed, giving somebody the lucky badge #00001(numbers don't indicate how many badges are sold)
    1m5s - Scalper teams receive word of tickets going on sale, teams are mobilized and sent into action.

30m0s (maximum) - Three-day passes are sold out.

Yeah....

InscrutableGamer on
    PAX East 2015: Passes For All Days [X] -- Free Time [X] -- Pass For Girlfriend [X] -- Hype [X]
    PAX EAST 2015 IS A GO!
  • cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    Ok first of all. With the development of something called the smartphone, it's not that hard to have your phone on you and immediately enter the queue. Most people respond to texts within 30 seconds, how hard is it to click a link. Second, I don't think there is a badge 00001. Pax has said that the numbers do not indicate how many badges are sold.

• InscrutableGamerInscrutableGamer IDLE ACCOUNT Registered User regular
    cardkid123 wrote: »
    Ok first of all. With the development of something called the smartphone, it's not that hard to have your phone on you and immediately enter the queue. Most people respond to texts within 30 seconds, how hard is it to click a link. Second, I don't think there is a badge 00001. Pax has said that the numbers do not indicate how many badges are sold.

Ah, didn't know about the second part. Edited original post accordingly.

PAX East 2015: Passes For All Days [X] -- Free Time [X] -- Pass For Girlfriend [X] -- Hype [X]
    PAX EAST 2015 IS A GO!
    I've just heard so many horror stories about people not getting 3 day passes and then also not getting all 3 days by themselves. I just don't know the best way to go about it.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    i could be wrong but doesnt it ask if you want 3 single day passes if you 1st 1st for a 3day pass and it does not have them?

• OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    Is it true that Club PA members get fist dibs on buying PAX Tickets?

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
    Onmitsu wrote: »
    Is it true that Club PA members get fist dibs on buying PAX Tickets?

It happened last year and they each only got 1 that had to be picked up by them at will call. PA said that they will not necessarily do this every pax. Concidering the blow up, I doubt they do it again.

• SatoruSatoru Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I've just heard so many horror stories about people not getting 3 day passes and then also not getting all 3 days by themselves. I just don't know the best way to go about it.

Generally you should aim for the 3 day passes.

The most popular day is Saturday, so you want to prioritize Saturday if you're hitting a 1 day pass.

Friday sells out next

Sunday is the stragglers

Note while that's the 'general' order, the 3 day and Saturday passes sell out almost instantly.

The Friday Saturday ones take a bit more time thankfully.

Just as reference from 2013 (for PAX East 2014),
    Oct23- Tickets go on sale at 12:00pm EDT

1:15pm 3Day passes are gone

4:05pm Saturday passes are gone

Take the above times with a bit of salt. It's just when the twitter account reports it. Likely the tickets sold out before the tweet goes out. It's just a 'general' time reference for how fast things disappear.

Nov 1 - Friday passes sold out

Nov 7 - Sunday passes sold out

PAX Prime is probably where you heard the horror stories. I think literally all tickets for all days for PAX Prime sell out within hours.

Satoru on
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    Incredibly random question. Have the pax people ever thought of having a little medic station somewhere at the convention center? A ton of people get ill every year for silly things. Its probably too much liability on their end but Im a doctor and thought it would be fun to do that one year. Like an enforcer medic.

its a secret to everyone
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Incredibly random question. Have the pax people ever thought of having a little medic station somewhere at the convention center? A ton of people get ill every year for silly things. Its probably too much liability on their end but Im a doctor and thought it would be fun to do that one year. Like an enforcer medic.
    The convention center runs a health station. Check with the BCEC for more info.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Correct. If you come in through the main doors, it will be just left of the doors that lead down to expo.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    rascrush wrote: »
    i could be wrong but doesnt it ask if you want 3 single day passes if you 1st 1st for a 3day pass and it does not have them?

Does anyone know if this is true?

If you asking if it sends you out of the queue if the passes are not available it does not. You get sent back to checkout and have to choose a new order.

Right so you would not have to start all over again u could then just pick 3 1 day passes

That's a relief! Thanks guys.

• bluepikminbexbluepikminbex Registered User new member
    Does anyone know if Nintendo will be there in 2015? Thanks!

• TheGoldenTriforceTheGoldenTriforce Registered User regular
    We don't know for sure but considering their early-mid 2015 lineup, it is likely

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    One important detail that never gets mentioned, the time at which badges sell out isn't really relevant because you have no way of knowing when those people got in queue. So even though it might take 30 minutes for 3-day badges to be officially sold out, you won't have a shot at them unless you get in queue within ~1-2 minutes of badges going on sale.

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
  • InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    blef wrote: »
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    blef wrote: »
    I dont understand the thought behind not letting us know, I am at school all day how can i possibly get tickets? Esp when I am buying for 7 people

1) the reasons have been addressed a LOT on these forums and elsewhere 2) it's hard for everyone, we all have things to do 3) there is a cap of 4 or 5 badges per person, so you probably will not be able to buy for 7 people, unless you're going on different days or something. you should probably work out an alternate plan.

My plan was to do it in 2 different transactions, and not go for 3 day passes. As I understand it you can buy 4 weekends worth of tickets. Does anyone know if you need to change ip's before doing the second transaction or is it just per time you pay?
    Just to post something from the PAX South Show Clix site:

PLEASE NOTE: In order to keep things fair, we currently have badge limits in place. You are allowed to purchase up to 4 of each type, per person. If we determine that your are ordering under different names and multiple addresses, all of your orders will be cancelled immediately.

zerzhul on
    FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • BinaryPieBinaryPie Registered User regular
    You can't really base things on last years East sale, since that was the only time they've done the 24hr pre-announce. You'll probably have at least a couple hours to get a three day or all three singles. IMO getting the westin or seaport is much harder than getting a three day pass.

edited November 2014
    BinaryPie wrote: »
    You can't really base things on last years East sale, since that was the only time they've done the 24hr pre-announce. You'll probably have at least a couple hours to get a three day or all three singles. IMO getting the westin or seaport is much harder than getting a three day pass.

Well certainly the timeframes of the tickets have been progressively been getting worse since the first PAX at the Hynes. The times from last year are a good baseline with regard to how especially fast the 3 day and saturday passes get hoovered up. It certainly is not going to be magically better no matter how they distribute the tickets. The tickets are going to sell out extremely quickly. Probably within 1-2 hours for 3 day passes and that's being very conservative. it's never going to be back like at the Hynes where you could by 3 day passes months after it was announced.

Regardless of any announcements, twitter/reddit/social media basically instantaneously disseminate information. If anyone anywhere figures out the tickets are live, it will be broadcast out and people will start queuing within minutes. Which means 3 day and Saturday passes are going to be gone very quickly no matter what.

Satoru on
    ya last year it was around 45 min I think and 3 days were gone I would say prob a hour to a hour and a half this year since there is not 24 hour heads up but still very fast

ya last year it was around 45 min I think and 3 days were gone I would say prob a hour to a hour and a half this year since there is not 24 hour heads up but still very fast
    I would say closer to half an hour considering hardly anyone went to south compared to what we hoped south would do.

• GeekyQuilterGeekyQuilter Registered User new member
    So if they haven't gone on sale by noon Pacific time, they won't be going on sale that day?

So if they haven't gone on sale by noon Pacific time, they won't be going on sale that day?
    I don't think there's anything specific to point to that, but given that showclix (the ticket site) is on the east coast, and onpeak is in central time, I think that late afternoon (4-5pm east or later) is probably a poor assumption for any day.

It has never happened but that doesn't mean it will never happen. You can stop f5ing by then because most people will have, but keep your phone on you just in case.

really u think it will be less time this year then last year with south and the fact that there is no 24 hours heads up would seem based on those two things even if south only did so so that still it would be more time then less

really u think it will be less time this year then last year with south and the fact that there is no 24 hours heads up would seem based on those two things even if south only did so so that still it would be more time then less

I don't think passes will sell out that fast but I do think 3 days will.

• TheGoldenTriforceTheGoldenTriforce Registered User regular
    Who got 3 day passes i got 3 day passes

• GeekyQuilterGeekyQuilter Registered User new member
    OMG They went on sale three minutes after my post (thank you Twitter!). I got my 3-day passes. one for me and one for my kid. What a relief!

• SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Got the three day as well .. finally got a 3 day and did not have to buy all 3 days separate for 3rd year in a row.

I had my browser ready and my Twitter set up to SMS tweets by the PAX crew. All I saw was the notification window on phone said "@official_pax It's the moment you've all been waiting for, .... " and I clicked link on twitter on PC ..

Waited in line for 1 minute and soon as I completed order @rkhoo tweeted 3 days sold out ...

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    got mine as well

edited November 2014
    cardkid123 wrote: »

I don't think passes will sell out that fast but I do think 3 days will.

3 day passes just got obliterated in 9 minutes. That's pretty fast.

Satoru on
    this is the Q&A thread folks, please take other discussion to the appropriate threads

• ScopiqueScopique New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Dammit! I was double-billed due to a site crash!

Scopique wrote: »
    Dammit! I was double-billed due to a site crash!
    email pax_questions@paxsite.com to get sorted out.