As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buttoneering! - Prizes? We has them if people want to join in! [Interest Gauging Thread]

jonxpjonxp [E] PC SecurityRegistered User regular
edited October 2014 in PAX South
I'm gauging interest in PAX South Buttoneering. This is going to be my "home" PAX from now on, so it's the one I'm going to be running if people want to join in.

For those who don't know, Buttoneering is a PAX community activity where each participant creates a design for the "button" style pins that they feel represents themselves, orders about a hundred (which is surprisingly cheap!) and then trades them with other participants as they run across each other at PAX. It's a lot of fun, and you come out of PAX with a physical "passport" of some of the people you met. It makes for a nice memento of the event.

For reference, here's some previous years' designs. Also, here's the link to this past Prime's thread about it if you want to read the full info on how it works.

I'm going to use replies to this thread to determine interest in bringing this to PAX South, so please respond if you want it to happen! Thanks!

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
jonxp on

• Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    draklan and I would both be interested in doing buttons for the first Pax South , we have already talked about doing a small run of 25 buttons.

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    I didn't do much buttoneering this prime, so I'll be bringing my leftovers with me to south.

HI3789R.png
  • PineappleChuckPineappleChuck Registered User regular
    I have already downloaded the app and I am going through different designs for my wife and I. I surely hope buttoneering takes off at South.

• DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I think I would like this. Count me in

• SwordMageSwordMage Registered User regular
    Oh, gods, yes, please.

SwordMage, aka Willa
    ---
    twitter: SwordMage86
    XBL: SwordMagelet
  • CyberFeyCyberFey Registered User regular
    Whaaa?? How cheap are we talking? This could be AWESOME!

• X3R0 9X3R0 9 Registered User regular
    I'm actually looking at doing this at PAX South. I've been wanting to for the other PAXs, but I would always forget to make/order mine.

• ericdavidsmithericdavidsmith Registered User new member
    This sounds amazing. I would 100% love to be involved in this.

edited October 2014
    a3lno88gyjne.jpg
    How about I raise the ANTI :) How about a little side challenge, we could have a website with all the designs available pictured, I will hold a contest for the Buttoneers. I have a couple of M&M USB Coffee Warmers as door prizes for the Pre-Pax Dinner, donated by M&M of course, one of which I will offer up one as a prize. The FIRST person to submit a picture of themselves WEARING the most buttons from the site taken at PAX will win the prize. Just a little challenge :) You may submit one picture per person at any time after PAX Starts but before PAX ENDS. You must include in submission which button is yours so two people don't claim to have the same button, and since your trading only one person should be associated with each button. Only people who submit a button picture before PAX will be eligible to submit a photo, since no one who does not have a button of there own is truly buttoneering. Only your FIRST submission will be counted. For example, If you take a picture Friday night with 10 buttons and one Saturday Night with 20 buttons, you will be counted as having only 10 buttons. If two people submit pictures wearing 25 buttons each, then the first one I receive will be the winner.

The prize is only valued at about $ 10.00 so don't expect some solid gold statue that is unbreakable, its just a token prize for winning the challenge

Photo Requirements

1) You must be in the picture and wearing the buttons.
    2) The resolution of the picture must be of good enough quality to identify the buttons against the known buttons from the website.
    3) Something unique to PAX SOUTH 2015 must be in the picture, I am thinking that Holding the OFFICIAL PAX SOUTH PROGRAM or wearing the OFFICIAL PAX SOUTH SCARF OR TSHIRT should be sufficient proof.
    4) The photo must be taken at PAX (at a vendor party or out to dinner while in SA will be considered at PAX), but submissions can come as late as Monday 5:00 PM CST to allow people time to send them, but it is FIRST ONE SUBMITTED THAT WINS.

The decision of the judges who review the photos is final. Its just a challenge, lets keep it fun, and not invoke Photoshop skills.

Anyone up for this ?

Attached is picture of one out of box. The one offered as a prize will be New and In Box.

Dolarrah on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    a3lno88gyjne.jpg
    How about I raise the ANTI :) How about a little side challenge, we could have a website with all the designs available pictured, I will hold a contest for the Buttoneers. I have a couple of M&M USB Coffee Warmers as door prizes for the Pre-Pax Dinner, donated by M&M of course, one of which I will offer up one as a prize. The FIRST person to submit a picture of themselves WEARING the most buttons from the site taken at PAX will win the prize. Just a little challenge :) You may submit one picture per person at any time after PAX Starts but before PAX ENDS. You must include in submission which button is yours so two people don't claim to have the same button, and since your trading only one person should be associated with each button. Only people who submit a button picture before PAX will be eligible to submit a photo, since no one who does not have a button of there own is truly buttoneering. Only your FIRST submission will be counted. For example, If you take a picture Friday night with 10 buttons and one Saturday Night with 20 buttons, you will be counted as having only 10 buttons. If two people submit pictures wearing 25 buttons each, then the first one I receive will be the winner.

The prize is only valued at about $ 10.00 so don't expect some solid gold statue that is unbreakable, its just a token prize for winning the challenge

Photo Requirements

1) You must be in the picture and wearing the buttons.
    2) The resolution of the picture must be of good enough quality to identify the buttons against the known buttons from the website.
    3) Something unique to PAX SOUTH 2015 must be in the picture, I am thinking that Holding the OFFICIAL PAX SOUTH PROGRAM or wearing the OFFICIAL PAX SOUTH SCARF OR TSHIRT should be sufficient proof.
    4) The photo must be taken at PAX (at a vendor party or out to dinner while in SA will be considered at PAX), but submissions can come as late as Monday 5:00 PM CST to allow people time to send them, but it is FIRST ONE SUBMITTED THAT WINS.

The decision of the judges who review the photos is final. Its just a challenge, lets keep it fun, and not invoke Photoshop skills.

Anyone up for this ?

Attached is picture of one out of box. The one offered as a prize will be New and In Box.

This would be great! What do you need from me to get this working?

Not really much of anything unless you want to coordinate the Pre Pax Button pictures. If you know anything about website design I can give you space to post them, if not I can. If you want to come up with some rules abut picture submissions or that feel free, its your show so make up what ever rules you want.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Have you looked at buttoneering.org before?

Not really much of anything unless you want to coordinate the Pre Pax Button pictures. If you know anything about website design I can give you space to post them, if not I can. If you want to come up with some rules abut picture submissions or that feel free, its your show so make up what ever rules you want.

Yeah, as Zerzhul said, we have Buttoneering.org. That link is to this past Prime's buttons, as an example of what we have. We can definitely figure something out from that.

• Ezra355Ezra355 Registered User regular
    Wow im so down for this! So do we just come up with some picture that represents us or what?

• ShionShion Queen of the Whiteboard Markers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to buttoneering. I was going to join in for Prime but the person I commissioned to make some art flaked out D=
    For South I have a group of 5 people coming in and I've convinced some of them to order buttons with me.

What have people done in the past for "special" buttons? I was thinking about possibly a meat button for meat lovers, a "My 1st PAX" button, or a button for my guild (the friends I'm bringing with me) to give out to people we want to game with in some form?
    Ezra355 wrote: »
    Wow im so down for this! So do we just come up with some picture that represents us or what?
    Yup! That's what it looks like! If you look through http://buttoneering.org/ there are all kinds of buttons people have designed!

• JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    I still have a lot of extras left from Prime. I'll bring them with me.

That's GREAT. We can take a snap shot of the page the day before South and use that as our guide. I certainly don't want to reinvent the wheel :)

That's GREAT. We can take a snap shot of the page the day before South and use that as our guide. I certainly don't want to reinvent the wheel :)
    There's an android app to track your collection for the high tech solution.

Sold my soul to Bill Gates 20+ years ago... I have owned a Windows Phone since before their were Windows Phones :)

I developed for windows phones before there were Windows phones. That convinced me to go android. :D

However, I may try to make a Windows phone version of the app since I at least have the prerequisites for that (unlike iOS).

• KhaytorKhaytor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Count me in for 2 Designs. The new and improved Impressed Random Guy button, and another new design yet to be created will be available. I am expecting about 200 of each.

Bump for Buttoneers! The new designs are in the works!

• QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    I see a very Sharks vs. Jets thing going on here with Butoneers vs. Pinny Fanatics

It really doesn't happen. We're all-inclusive. The difference is that we collect and create our own buttons. The Pinny's collect and buy their pins. We also give out and trade out stuff for free. Most of the pins need to be purchased. :)

• SteamPoweredSteamPowered Oklahoma City, OK Registered User new member
    For some reason I can't access the buttoneering website :(
    Trying to get more info on it & see previous buttons.
    Is there a cutoff date to sign up?

For some reason I can't access the buttoneering website :(
    Trying to get more info on it & see previous buttons.
    Is there a cutoff date to sign up?

The site is down until I get some free time to fix it. That'll happen Soon™.

• TrezlTrezl Registered User regular
    I haven't gotten to do buttons since the last time I was at Prime (2 yrs ago)... I think I'll update my button for South this year. Looking forward to seeing you all there.

• zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    Put me down for buttoneering at South! (if it's happening)

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
    draklan and I have just submitted our order to Pure Buttons , we are each getting 50 . Since the buttoneering site was done we couldn't get the official rim text from there so we improvised listing Pax South 2015 and our forum names .

Pure Buttons has their black friday sale on until midnight tonight 20% off , you only have 52 days until Pax !!!!! so with Christmas around the corner now may be a good time to get your buttons ordered so you have them in time.

Thanks for the recommendation Sleepy Kitty.. Ordered 100 because of discount. Would post picture but I am sure I violated about 400 copyright laws :)

Ok @Sleepy Kitty‌ I want to thank you a ton for turning me on to Pure Buttons. The final design on a button looks awesome. MY REVIEW is here if you want to see it. If you have not ordered your buttons yet, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM. This is an uncompensated endorsement, and I have no ties to the company.

• itchbayitchbay Self-Rescuing Princess Registered User regular
    Oh yes! I'm not a dedicated buttoneer, but I like to try and meet as many other buttoneers as possible. And, now that I have gainful-ish employment, I can even afford to make NEW buttons instead of handing out the same ones I've been giving out at PAX Prime for the last couple of years! Woot!

Not *that* kind of princess.
    My boys (8 & 10) just told me they want to bring a button to their first PAX, so they are going to design one to bring too :)

Ok @Sleepy Kitty‌ I want to thank you a ton for turning me on to Pure Buttons. The final design on a button looks awesome. MY REVIEW is here if you want to see it. If you have not ordered your buttons yet, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM. This is an uncompensated endorsement, and I have no ties to the company.

Dolarrah , so glad you are happy with your buttons, I would say 80% if not more of forum members that make buttons use Pure Buttons and I don't remember any one having any issues ( other than perhaps shipping rates ) catch you at south to trade !

• IrsoolIrsool Registered User regular
    I hope I'm not too late to the party! This sounds like a cool idea, I'll look into designing a button later today!

uV3Kd9v.png
  • draklandraklan Chocobo in time the Frosty North... mmm FrostingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Hey @jonxp will buttoneering.org be fixed soon? oops just read back and guess i should say hope you have the time to fix it soon :)

draklan on
    it's still not too late to order buttons... i ordered mine mid last week and already got them from Pure Buttons. They are quick :)

@jonxp Do you need any help with buttoneering.org? I ordered a ton of buttons and cant wait to show them off :)

Below is 1 of 2 buttons I will have with me for PAX South. These are limited 250. Enjoy Guardians!
    qr9dyfqowf2i.png

• bartapbartap Registered User regular
    So, I'm very interested in ordering some buttons to be able to participate in buttoneering; however, I have one question. If I put in an order for buttons by Monday (Jan. 5th) do I need to do a "rush order" to get it guaranteed through and shipped to me so I'll have them for pax? Or, could I get away with just doing the standard processing? How long is the turn around on getting an order processed/printed before it ships to you?