As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HALO] is dead.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I'm confused at this. Personally speaking, that looks pretty dang sweet (jetpacks are the hot thing to do in FPS games these days, so it's good to see Halo embracing it (granted, I'll miss the Halo: Reach style jetpacks...but oh well). That level of mobility might actually get me to hop on for some non-Firefight/non-Spartan Ops styled multiplayer.

Aim down sights
    That awful fake enthusiastic announcer
    Spartans suddenly voiced
    Not an Elite in sight
    Supposed to go back to Halo's "roots" but looks more like Call of Duty more than ever
    Mid air boosting/abilities

I was told that this was supposed to be going back to the roots of the franchise but what I see is a critical misunderstanding of an arena shooter and the series that brought it to consoles.

anoffday wrote: »
    Damn can we at least try the beta before we start trashing the game?

Normally I'd agree but after the mess that was Halo 4, 343i is not to be trusted.

In order of appearance:

ADS - only the magnum, battle rifle, and sniper rifles utilize ADS...same as every other Halo where those weapons appeared. The assault rifle looks to have a tiny amount of magnification if you try to ADS...but it's not a full ADS since the weapon is still held off to the side and you're not using sights with the gun.

Announcer - agreed. He sounds very...not right.

Spartans voiced - pretty sure they had voices in other Halo games, too. If you're talking about things like "Armor ability ready in 10 seconds" that sounded more like an AI notification or something (similar to the Titan AI voices in Titanfall).

Not an Elite in sight - yeah...Spartans vs Spartans...just like Halo 1...wait, how is this a negative?

Roots - Unless I missed something, I didn't see daisy-chained kill/death cycles (kill -> spawn behind killer -> kill your killer -> get killed by the guy you just killed who just spawned behind you)...so not seeing the CoD comparison (yet).

Mid air boosting/abilities - This is a huge pro in my book. After playing Titanfall (and, to a lesser degree, any game that lets you have a jetpack), going back to unboosted air-travel is just plain painful to play for me.

Seriously, everything in that video just hits all sorts of the right buttons for me.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Anyway, I too wish that we were getting multiplayer Sangheili again, holy shit I forgot we were going back to set starts I'm so glad that we're doing that, didn't have any issue with the announcer myself, and to help fill my snark quota for the day:
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    "The mess that was Halo 4". That's like, your opinion man. I loved Halo 4, as did many of my friends. It was different, which per usual, bothers people.
    You are entitled to your wrong opinion.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Sorry, I can't hear you over the ironic din of someone saying ADS shouldn't be in Halo "on principle", despite the most popular weapon in Halo history (the BR) having effectively ADS built in.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I don't think that the scopes in previous Halos really count as ADS, and the scopes in this one might not count either, but that's mostly a semantics argument.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Its 100% a semantic argument, as they are coded in exactly the same fucking way. The BR has ADS, they just stick a scope texture around it. If they took the scope texture away, it would look like regular old ADS.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I consider the terrible aim when not aiming down sights in games like COD, Battlefield, and Borderlands part of the aim down sights mechanic, as well as the reduced movement speed. Seeing as the scopes in previous Halos and in Halo 5 lack this, I don't consider it ADS.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'll play the beta but it doesn't look like the halo I know and love. It looks like Halo 4 on speed.

I'll play the beta but it doesn't look like the halo I know and love. It looks like Halo 4 on speed.
    Really? Seems like the only bad thing they kept from 4 is sprint.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    It looks great and I can't wait to check out the beta. I'm cautiously optimistic.

• SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    I have it. Let's do this thing.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Its 100% a semantic argument, as they are coded in exactly the same fucking way. The BR has ADS, they just stick a scope texture around it. If they took the scope texture away, it would look like regular old ADS.

Semantics or not it's a part of the atmosphere of the game.

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Is there a way to get a refund on this digitally? 37% after 18 hours is super dumb and I went and just bought a physical copy.

Crayon on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    Is there a way to get a refund on this digitally?

Says right in the description no refund.

edited November 2014
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Except I've heard of people getting refunds and I'm inquiring as to the way to go about it. I fully realize what it says, but thanks for pointing it out.

Crayon on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

An atmosphere that's been in place since 2004 (with the battle rifle) and 2001 (with the original magnum and sniper rifle). The main difference is the animation of bringing the gun up to your "eye" instead of a clicking sound and the screen instantly turning into the scoped view.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Except I've heard of people getting refunds and I'm inquiring as to the way to go about it. I fully realize what it says, but thanks for pointing it out.

No need to be rude.

Only way would be to call MS support and demand one.

I'm 6/10 through my legendary solo of Halo 1! Unfortunately, Library is next...

Achievements seem bugged right now. I have two achievements at "Done! Unlocking..." on the snapped achievement app, but they sure aren't unlocking.

The main themes of the gameplay are intense, mobile firefights with an emphasis on skill, as well as controlling the map via power weapon spawns and knowledge of the sightlines and tricks of the map. Pulling up your gun interferes with none of it.

No need to be rude.

Ummmm....Okay?

Thanks.

No need to be rude.

Ummmm....Okay?

Thanks.

Well, thats your answer. Frankly MS support refund is a long shot, so Dark Primus is probably correct: you now have two versions of the game and will probably have to love with it.

No reason to get snappy with Dark just because he gave you what is probably the right answer (no refunds).

• QuantuxQuantux Registered User regular

I was able to get a refund for Advanced Warfare going through the chat support. But that was very different; they had serious problems that prevented downloads from completing for days. This is not like that, they'll just tell you to be patient. But who knows, you might get a free month of live or something out of it, never hurts to ask.

PSN/Steam - Quantux

• Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

No need to be rude.

Ummmm....Okay?

Thanks.

Well, thats your answer. Frankly MS support refund is a long shot, so Dark Primus is probably correct: you now have two versions of the game and will probably have to love with it.

No reason to get snappy with Dark just because he gave you what is probably the right answer (no refunds).

hes not the being snappy though. can we drop this line of conversation

Harbringer197 on
    edited November 2014

No need to be rude.

Ummmm....Okay?

Thanks.

Look man, I got it. It felt a bit crass and short to me, so I replied. I don't think he needs you to run to his aid here. Me saying "ummmm okay" is me, literally, saying okay and to move on because I'm confused why you'd even bother to say what you did. So move on. I got my answers and I dropped it, no reason to add more to it.

Crayon on
    edited November 2014
    So matchmaking is a little bit better. It no longer dumps you to the menu post-game but party system is still a joke (it's impossible to back out the whole team, everyone has to manually leave). I wish I could just use the old halo menus for 2 and 3. The weird Frankenstein nature of the game makes things feel sloppy and smashed together.
    Not really impressed especially because Halo 2/3 had amazing menus and flawless party play... this is an embarrassment. Also no Halo 1 hopper, you have to hope it shows up in BTB or Slayer.

Local H Jay on
  • mollehmolleh Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Tried the single player campaigns a bit... sheesh, the engine(s) feel so janky because they can't maintain 60fps. Halo 4 especially just feels awful when the framerate dips, and it dips badly. I wish they had a 30 fps lock option so it would be more consistent and also fill more like the classic Halo. Think I'm going to pass on this unless they patch in the 30fps lock, as I bought this mostly for the single player campaigns.

molleh on
    Gonna try to get some custom games going. Add Local H Jay.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

No need to be rude.

Ummmm....Okay?

Thanks.

Look man, I got it. It felt a bit crass and short to me, so I replied. I don't think he needs you to run to his aid here. Me saying "ummmm okay" is me, literally, saying okay and to move on because I'm confused why you'd even bother to say what you did. So move on. I got my answers and I dropped it, no reason to add more to it.

Honestly, if you're going to go for a Hail Mary and contact MS support about a refund, try it via Twitter, not telephone.

Imo, if you're thinking of getting this hold off until they fix the game. Match making is broke, achievements are broke. Unless you really want to play private games for need the campaigns right now, wait.

• LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    10 years ago I struggled to enjoy Halo 2 while my premature son lie in an incubator at Riley Hospital 85 miles away. Tonight I get to relive the adventures of Chief along with my 10-year old son in glorious split screen co-op.

MCC is a goddamn celebration, bitches.

XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

you sir are one very lucky father.

Harbringer197 on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2014
    You can apparently boot people out of any matchmaking game because it flags everyone as party leader in a custom game. Even in ranked.

You can also rank boost in a custom game.

FyreWulff on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular

No, they are not. ADS trades away almost all your movement for precision aiming, slows down your aiming, and obscures most of your screen.

Halo's scope is simply zooming.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Can I say that I LOVE H2:A's skyboxes?

That one forge map where you're fighting over the ring is amazing.

newSig.jpg
    I have a bad feeling the rest of the Halo 2 maps are coming as dlc.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The only negative thing I have to say presently is that Nightfall is an actual TV show-TV show which means you have to wait for episodes, not binge it. :|

Integrating extra features into the episode itself is pretty neat though, kind of like watching a show with the program running or w/e.

edit: oh and I didn't get the reward for watching the first second story in the first episode either, ha.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    I have a bad feeling the rest of the Halo 2 maps are coming as dlc.

I believe they'll be free. Or so that's what I've seen.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    343 hired an outside company to do the 6 halo 2 CE maps and that was it, the full contract. If any more are coming (and I kinda doubt it) they'll be DLC for sure.

Also due to tiny baby I was able to play 15 minutes of Halo 1 CE and that's all I did. I skipped it on 360 but holy shitballs, being able to hit select and instantly go between what CE looks like and what Halo 1 actually used to look like is fucking MINDBLOWING.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Started the day 1 patch download at noon today, it's midnight now and still not done. It's in the 90% range though! :D

For a little perspective, I installed the new CoD game on my computer earlier today, 40gb in about an hour.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Library is so much more fun with campaign scoring. So many multikill medals!

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    343 hired an outside company to do the 6 halo 2 CE maps and that was it, the full contract. If any more are coming (and I kinda doubt it) they'll be DLC for sure.

Also due to tiny baby I was able to play 15 minutes of Halo 1 CE and that's all I did. I skipped it on 360 but holy shitballs, being able to hit select and instantly go between what CE looks like and what Halo 1 actually used to look like is fucking MINDBLOWING.

Yeah. I had the first one but there was always a slightly loading delay between texture changes on 360, but here it's instant and damn does that make a difference. Well that and the 60FPS.

Still miffed over not being able to individually outfit my Spartan (I like to mix and match kits) but everything else is great.

newSig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.