As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Amtrak

dunbrine47dunbrine47 Registered User new member
Has anybody here used Amtrak to go to Boston? In a non PAX related event one of my friends went to Boston by train and liked it better then car so having a roadtrip is out of the question. I have done some research and looked up some trains going to Boston from NY. They seem reasonable (the ones that take 4-5 hours) but I would like some input from more experienced travelers.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    the PAX Train Alliance is a yearly tradition. check out these threads from last year's train alliance for an idea of how it works. there are several lines, but these are the two that go through ny:

sonic line (nyc)

metal gear line (upstate ny)

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Train all the way. Why be bothered with having to drive, stop periodically, find and pay for parking, when you can just chill, sleep, play games, etc along the way? We drove once. It wasn't bad, but I am all about the train.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    I've taken the train, drove, and flown. I would 100% take a plane every time since Southwest's sale prices are close to Amtrak's and it means I get there in an hour and a half instead of 8. Train would be my second choice, though. Driving made me want to drive off a fucking cliff.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    EagleAlphaXEagleAlphaX New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I drove for my first PAX and took the train for my second PAX. To sum things up, the argument for me is cost vs. comfort. With driving, you save more money, but it's a lot more relaxing on the train where you have more space and the ability to get up and walk around. Like @tvethiopia already discussed, there's a PAX train alliance, so you can meet up with other PAX-goers.

wjxmaepqs9k1.png
  • Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    I took Amtrak this year and it was incredible. My friends wanted fast as possible, so for the journey up we took the Acela, we got lucky with seating and had a table for 4 to relax at while we sped along as fast as 155 MPH. I think it was only 3.5 hours from NYC to Boston or so, consider how long you wait in security at the airport and it's not much faster. On the way back we took the Regional which was only like $49 per person to NYC from Boston and I think still was only 4-4.5 hours which is still faster than driving and much more relaxing. Considering the cost of parking, tolls, gas, and that when taking the train you arrive rested and relaxed, it's a no brainer for me. The trains ended up both being quite comfortable and the food options were good. For one person the regional train round-trip would be cheaper than driving and parking from NYC to Boston and back and far more enjoyable. I'll be planning to take Amtrak again next year. I can't imagine a plane trip would be more pleasant.

• Options
    Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    For long range trains like the Lake shore limited, i would take it a day earlier 48/448 are below 10% chance of being on time (down from 30.8 and over from last year) Last thing you want is arriving at 4 am on the day of the con.

http://www.amtrak.com/lake-shore-limited-train&mode=perf&overrideDefaultTemplate=OTPPageHorizontalRouteOverview

That out of the way, Amtrak is still a fun way to go despite the delays it is full of PAX goers and lots of 3DS and even PC play (some had their laptops linked up last year). Just give yourself time and watch the stats of your train.

Sgt.Mays on
    Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • Options
    melzwaymelzway Registered User regular
    I did...from Pittsburgh. Nice and better than driving. I also took Amtrak from Pittsbugh to San Diego. I could only afford coach but it was awesome. Met great people and had fun in the lounge areas. The only thing I'd do differently would be to get a roomette.

Last year I flew to Boston cause it was cheaper.

• Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    taking the train is pretty sweet for short jumps. if you're farther than the northeast then it's a bit of a toss-up vs flying, but it totally beats dealing with a car while you're there. unless you have a very specific schedule to deal with, or you live within a state or two of boston and really want to save every penny possible, then the train is totally the way to go.

• Options
    LimondLimond Registered User regular
    The first PAX East I took the train. It was was about 200-250 each way from BWI in Maryland up to Boston. Was about a 6 hour trip up. On the way back it was 8 hours. I loved the train because it was super comfy, could play lots of games and get stuff done. However the time was just to long of an investment. Travel turned into an all day affair which I really hate. Every other PAX East I took a plane. Cheapest I ever flown for was 66 one way. Normally runs about 120 for a one way ticket from BWI to Boston. The plane also takes 1 to 1.5 hours depending on the wind direction from take off to landing. I will never go back to the train or driving. It is cheaper and a whole lot faster.

I would experience taking the train once just to see if you like it though.

One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    For current pricing from Baltimore, I just priced Amtrak from Baltimore Penn Station (BAL) to Boston South Station (BOS) for arriving in the afternoon of March 5th, there are a few trains that are only $74 one way for that day for a 7 hour trip so it's not that expensive if you are going alone (carpooling can change the price dynamics). The Acela is $171 one way for a six hour trip so that's the costly one. http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

• Options
    edited September 2014
    It looks like one of the key things here is distance. As @Limond mentioned, they came from Maryland and it cost more money and took longer than a plane. I came out of Philadelphia and (in my opinion) a plane is not worth the cost. @dunbrine47, if you are coming out of New York, I'd say the train would be the way to go.

EagleAlphaX on
    wjxmaepqs9k1.png
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Sgt.Mays wrote: »
    For long range trains like the Lake shore limited, i would take it a day earlier 48/448 are below 10% chance of being on time (down from 30.8 and over from last year) Last thing you want is arriving at 4 am on the day of the con.

http://www.amtrak.com/lake-shore-limited-train&mode=perf&overrideDefaultTemplate=OTPPageHorizontalRouteOverview

That out of the way, Amtrak is still a fun way to go despite the delays it is full of PAX goers and lots of 3DS and even PC play (some had their laptops linked up last year). Just give yourself time and watch the stats of your train.

The LSL the day before PAX is good times. So much gaming!

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    I take the train from maine to boston 3 or 4 times a year for concerts or cause I have family down there very easy to do and fairly cheap as well its the only way I would go to boston really.

• Options
    BrandchanBrandchan Registered User regular
    I've taken the train, the bus, and driven to Boston from Philly. I've also taken a plane from D.C to Boston. I like the train the best, it is certainly the most comfortable. Though the last couple of years I've done the Bolt Bus because it is way cheaper then the train. I've done round trip on a Bolt Bus for less then a (cheap) one way ticket on the train.

• Options
    Ya I take the train just cause its only like 45 i think bus would cost me around 20 but for the extra comfort its worth the extra 20 or so for me

• Options
    nsanensane That guy with the face. Registered User regular
    ilta wrote: »
    taking the train is pretty sweet for short jumps. if you're farther than the northeast then it's a bit of a toss-up vs flying, but it totally beats dealing with a car while you're there. unless you have a very specific schedule to deal with, or you live within a state or two of boston and really want to save every penny possible, then the train is totally the way to go.
    Very true. For example, from Atlanta (the closest station which is approx. two hours away), it'd take almost a day including driving time to Atlanta. With an airplane, the same trip takes about 4 hours including driving time. If I lived closer, a train would be ideal. If only the US had a better rail system with high-speed maglev trains.

wK2XwhV.png
    PAX East 2018: Passes [X], Hotel [X], Airfare [], coin []
  • Options
    Marg0Marg0 Portland, MERegistered User regular
    rascrush wrote: »
    I take the train from maine to boston 3 or 4 times a year for concerts or cause I have family down there very easy to do and fairly cheap as well its the only way I would go to boston really.

Yep, me too! I much prefer it than riding down on the bus.

• Options
    TheGoldenTriforceTheGoldenTriforce Registered User regular
    So is the train alliance going to be a thing this year, because I need to know the train times and dates and stuff

• Options
    GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    I've taken the acela between Boston and NYC more often than I can count. IT was a great time doing it. Now that JetBlue and other carriers have increased their routes between Boston and NYC/Newark it's actually cheaper to fly. About the same amount of time when you figure in security.

• Options
    monkoshmonkosh NYCRegistered User regular
    I would recommend the bus as it is $20 roundtrip instead $100. Took the greyhound last year and other than the smell after stopping at burger king, it was a great trip. Takes the same time (roughly 4.5 hrs) and was comfortable.

iec5nehi4ot3.png
  • Options
    c0rocadc0rocad Registered User new member
    My group plans on taking the train this year after hearing good experiences with the Amtrak Pax train thing. When does the information about that usually get sent out? I know it's not an official Pax event but i assume the same people run it every year.

• Options
    yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    Nothing but good things to say about amtrak. I take it from maine to boston each year. Hassle free, friendly, comfortable and fast. Use the T when I get to the station and go right to the hotel.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    c0rocad wrote: »
    When does the information about that usually get sent out?

It looks like January is the time when PAX Train Alliance stuff gets posted.

EagleAlphaX on
    wjxmaepqs9k1.png
  • Options
    GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    Usually use Amtrak when possible, took train to Boston before (I live in Southeastern CT). I always had a good simple experience with Amtrak. Paid my ticket going to Boston for only $28, and going back is probably same price and buying it soon.

I am willing to change my ticket to join the PAX Train Alliance since it seems I will be going to PAX East by myself since my friends aren't able to buy badges.

mYPBAfl.jpg
  • Options
    rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular
    Usually use Amtrak when possible, took train to Boston before (I live in Southeastern CT). I always had a good simple experience with Amtrak. Paid my ticket going to Boston for only $28, and going back is probably same price and buying it soon.

I am willing to change my ticket to join the PAX Train Alliance since it seems I will be going to PAX East by myself since my friends aren't able to buy badges.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get it for $28 from southeastern CT when it's almost double that from NY Penn?

SK3ozR5.png
  • Options
    GeekyPanda404GeekyPanda404 The Geeky Panda ConnecticutRegistered User regular
    Its only around a 1hr 30 to 2 hour ride over there. And if you reserve now it's cheap.

mYPBAfl.jpg
  • Options
    MarioManiacMarioManiac Registered User regular
    I am a new member to the forums. This will be my first PAX. I am meeting a couple of my Cousins there on Sunday. I didn't get online in time to get 3 day passes. In fact I think I barely got on in time for passes at all. I live in Maine, so I'll be taking the Downeaster Amtrak train to Boston. It's about a 2 hour trip and is very relaxing. Should be a great day!

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious shit!"
    signature_zpsh4qstnbp.png
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/MarioManiac
  • Options
    rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular
    It's unfortunate that the train arrives too late for the pre-PAX dinner.

SK3ozR5.png
  • Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    rtm416 wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that the train arrives too late for the pre-PAX dinner.

That's why there is an earlier train favored by many northeasterners. Last year I believe it was the 86.

• Options
    ya I believe there is a train that leaves from maine idk if that is were you are taking about or not but it gets you into boston around 3pm. I will be going with the later train myself this year that will get me into boston around 9pm as I am not able to get someone to watch my daughter that way I can take the earlier train