As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Valkyria Chronicles Thread: >Be teenage girl from another universe.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    So, just beat mission 13.
    It's pretty funny how everybody's all terrified about the enemy having a Valkyria who can trash a few Gallian tanks (apparently made of tinfoil). Meanwhile, Sadist Jane just fucked up an enemy heavy tank and singlehandedly took a heavily armed enemy bunker (okay, with a little mortar support) and nobody's even blinking.

Seriously, from the showing in that level, Jane's a lot nastier to fight than a Valkyria.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    LPrAsVH.png

You do not mess with a woman's flower shop

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Jane's pretty great. I wish she'd shown up in VC2 if only to be disgusted at how wussy everyone in that game was.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Snipers are iffy. Good support, but their entire spiel is hitting things and sometimes they don't do that.

Marina "Fist of God" Wulfstan is the exception.
    I cant wait to get to the point where she's that good, because first mission I fielded her in, she hit the target once....throughout the entire mission. I took 6 shots with her.

Snipers benefit a lot when you upgrade their rifles a bit and boost their accuracy. All classes do but snipers especially.

Also remember to actually zoom in if you're not doing that.

Ok, I have to admit I didn't notice you can do that. Now I see what's so great about snipers - Marina was actually pulling her weight in the latest battle. Thanks!

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I remember playing this on PS3 years ago. The best way to grind cash was replaying an early mission with the Windmill objective. With the right combination of orders and skills you could have Alicia capture the objective on her first turn. I loved this game.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I let Jane have the toxic flamethrower, even though I didn't think it was that great for killing.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Jane's pretty great. I wish she'd shown up in VC2 if only to be disgusted at how wussy everyone in that game was.

She should have been II's drill sergeant, since her post game bio says as much.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    The Selvaria DLC missions I played were both great and annoying. I managed to get A ranks in spite of myself. Lots of reloads mostly due to often not having enough movement to quite get out of a tank's reaction fire which really hurts Selvaria. Or snipers being counterattacked to death by Musaad.

It's also kind of weird to have Selvaria give her post-kill one liner and then hear her commenting on the kill over radio chatter right after.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mm, this keeps crashing when I go from the Base back to Book Mode. Trying to verify the integrity of the game cache now, seeing if that fixes it.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Looks like Sega's happy with the PC version's sales.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/11/12/sega-seem-happy-valkyria-chronicles-pc/
    Sega seem happy with how Valkyria Chronicles has performed on Steam. On their official blog, the publisher stated that “blew all forecasts and predictions out of the water”.

“We would like to take this opportunity to thank all the fans for their support in the phenomenal success of this launch,” said John Clark, Senior Vice President of Commercial Publishing for SEGA Europe.

“We’re also delighted at the response from the Steam community which indicates that newcomers to the series are finding it as enchanting and engaging as those who have played it before.”

The PC release of Valkyria Chronicles features a host of improvements, the most notable being the game’s ability to run at 60 frames-per-second. It also features remappable controls and resolutions higher than 1080p, provided your PC can handle the load.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oh good, maybe this'll prompt them to keep promises already made then.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    [snip]

I am never, ever going to get over how stupid the pec plates look on the female shocktroopers

dN0T6ur.png
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Looks like Sega's happy with the PC version's sales.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/11/12/sega-seem-happy-valkyria-chronicles-pc/
    Sega seem happy with how Valkyria Chronicles has performed on Steam. On their official blog, the publisher stated that “blew all forecasts and predictions out of the water”.

“We would like to take this opportunity to thank all the fans for their support in the phenomenal success of this launch,” said John Clark, Senior Vice President of Commercial Publishing for SEGA Europe.

“We’re also delighted at the response from the Steam community which indicates that newcomers to the series are finding it as enchanting and engaging as those who have played it before.”

The PC release of Valkyria Chronicles features a host of improvements, the most notable being the game’s ability to run at 60 frames-per-second. It also features remappable controls and resolutions higher than 1080p, provided your PC can handle the load.

To the surprise of nobody who has any remote inkling of the IP. I think the only people surprised that Valkyria Chronicles has legs in the Western markets is SEGA themselves.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    It was a very sad day when I got the news the sequels were PSP/Vita only.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    As big of a bonehead Sega can be, I find it a bit difficult to be mad at them over Valkyria Chronicles simply because of the western shackles of the PSP.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    As big of a bonehead Sega can be, I find it a bit difficult to be mad at them over Valkyria Chronicles simply because of the western shackles of the PSP.

The setting probably did more damage. And there are better reasons to rage at SEGA. Like everything PSO related in the last five years or so.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    [snip]

I am never, ever going to get over how stupid the pec plates look on the female shocktroopers

To be fair, they also look stupid on male shocktroopers.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Polaritie wrote: »

The setting probably did more damage. And there are better reasons to rage at SEGA. Like everything PSO related in the last five years or so.

As bad as the setting is, there tends to be less damage from a bad setting than from nobody owning your console, especially for cult titles.

It was a big problem for Japanese devs last generation. They thought of the PSP as "Less popular than the DS, but a pretty big deal". Meanwhile, in the US, it was "I think we sold one? Maybe?"

So poor PSP sales were "Whoa! Guess people don't like this game!" whereas what it meant to most Americans was "I don't own a fucking PSP."

chiasaur11 on
    When even Xseed, King of Niche, stops bringing over games, you're in trouble. Thank god for that out of the blue PC port of Half Minute Hero 2.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

The setting probably did more damage. And there are better reasons to rage at SEGA. Like everything Yakuza related in the last five years or so.

Fixed that for you.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Whoever taught the Imps to stop into a tight pile of delicious mortar targets whenever they run into Edelweiss is my new best friend. Had three snipers standing together on open ground in front of my tank in the desert mission ... MU-MU-MU-MULTIKILL!

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

As bad as the setting is, there tends to be less damage from a bad setting than from nobody owning your console, especially for cult titles.

It was a big problem for Japanese devs last generation. They thought of the PSP as "Less popular than the DS, but a pretty big deal". Meanwhile, in the US, it was "I think we sold one? Maybe?"

So poor PSP sales were "Whoa! Guess people don't like this game!" whereas what it meant to most Americans was "I don't own a fucking PSP."

SEGA strikes me as being a ridiculously conservative company in terms of their operations. They seem allergic to taking chances in expanding their player base and need to be dragged kicking and screaming into pushing things to the Western markets. I mean, the Vita and PS4 have the perfect opportunities for them. They can do digital only releases and capture 100% all the potential sales without risking bleed via the pre-owned market.

Disclaimer:
    Not going to open up a can of worms argument here but I will state as a point of context that I feel that the pre-owned games market is absolute poison for the consoles. Having a physical copy of a game hit two/three or even more players with zero return to the publishers and developers is in my mind no different than pirating

Valkyrie Chronicles 2 however feels to me a design by committee game. Oh, High School settings seems to be in vogue now. Let's slap up some bishounen characters and slot in a Valkyrie loli wearing almost nothing while we're at it paying no heed to the setting that was established by the previous game. And then let's whack it on the PSP because the PSP has that user base from MonHun, right? It just seems to me as a complete cheap and nasty cop out to try to grab some 'easy' money tearing up a promising new IP as bait.
    Valkyrie Chronicles 3 on the other hand feels like the 'management' going 'Whoops! We totally fucked up with #2. Here, you can have the IP back, we won't put our fingers in the pie again, ok? Oh and no budget so you gotta do it on the PSP'

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »

SEGA strikes me as being a ridiculously conservative company in terms of their operations. They seem allergic to taking chances in expanding their player base and need to be dragged kicking and screaming into pushing things to the Western markets. I mean, the Vita and PS4 have the perfect opportunities for them. They can do digital only releases and capture 100% all the potential sales without risking bleed via the pre-owned market.

Disclaimer:
    Not going to open up a can of worms argument here but I will state as a point of context that I feel that the pre-owned games market is absolute poison for the consoles. Having a physical copy of a game hit two/three or even more players with zero return to the publishers and developers is in my mind no different than pirating

Valkyrie Chronicles 2 however feels to me a design by committee game. Oh, High School settings seems to be in vogue now. Let's slap up some bishounen characters and slot in a Valkyrie loli wearing almost nothing while we're at it paying no heed to the setting that was established by the previous game. And then let's whack it on the PSP because the PSP has that user base from MonHun, right? It just seems to me as a complete cheap and nasty cop out to try to grab some 'easy' money tearing up a promising new IP as bait.
    Valkyrie Chronicles 3 on the other hand feels like the 'management' going 'Whoops! We totally fucked up with #2. Here, you can have the IP back, we won't put our fingers in the pie again, ok? Oh and no budget so you gotta do it on the PSP'

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Sega is Japan's Microsoft. They're a giant company mostly successful off of non-games (in Sega's case, Pachinko), that like making money on video games but only really care about their home demographic. Makes me feel really sorry for Sega Europe and America, who only got to do this because VC is an IP Sega Japan doesn't give two shits about anymore.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Stumbled on a new VC-playthrough on youtube. I think I still have some DLC left, so maybe I'll get around to it soon.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    So, PC-user here ecstatic that it finally made it on over.

Had my first encounter with Sylvaria.

Let's just say there were very few survivors in my squad when she got done with it.

Orca wrote: »
    So, PC-user here ecstatic that it finally made it on over.

Had my first encounter with Sylvaria.

Let's just say there were very few survivors in my squad when she got done with it.

Yeah. That mission's... tricky.

I didn't take any fatalities, but I maybe had two people on the field when the mission finished, and only won by spamming anti-armor rounds from the tank.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Did you actually attack her? I didn't bother, didn't even think of it actually. Don't remember if I did it back on PS3

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I applied the Jack Burton philosophy of "hey, you don't know 'till you try."

Well, now I know. And I'm thankful that Freesia can dodge, because everyone else sure as hell didn't.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    Did you actually attack her? I didn't bother, didn't even think of it actually. Don't remember if I did it back on PS3

I tried a sniper round. That went poorly.

Then I tried some tank rounds. And when those didn't work I went with the tried and true "Just RAM the fucker" strategy.

That worked much better.

So anyways, there is a narrow-ish cone behind a unit where they can't dodge at all. Don't think this has the potential from VC2 on anyone that says "no, you may not dodge me, NOW DIE" though.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    So anyways, there is a narrow-ish cone behind a unit where they can't dodge at all. Don't think this has the potential from VC2 on anyone that says "no, you may not dodge me, NOW DIE" though.

Wait, you talking about Undodgeable Shot? Because Alicia has that.

MechMantis wrote: »

Cherry has the best line for that.

"Soo... Dodging's no fair, all right?"

And then the enemy... doesn't dodge. :P

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »

Cherry has the best line for that.

"Soo... Dodging's no fair, all right?"

And then the enemy... doesn't dodge. :P

We're civilized people here, there are rules to war.

Like with flags. They took our flag? Well, time to pack it in.

No, I don't care if we had a shocktrooper right there to retake it from that barely-still-alive scout, we GG out and try again next mission.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh my goodness I can finally enjoy a World War as an anime rpg, and I don't have the money for it.

Maybe during the Steam Sale, but for now my funds are tied up in smashing bros

YL9WnCY.png

I tried a sniper round. That went poorly.

Then I tried some tank rounds. And when those didn't work I went with the tried and true "Just RAM the fucker" strategy.

That worked much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTAx8r_090o

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    After reading a bunch of books about the history of sega and nintendo, I can say Sega JP is just stupid.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    There's a hilarious thing the PC-version makes possible. Tanks can't drive uphill in 60 frames per second.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    I have mine on 59fps and I could barely drive up that hill on mission 4.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.