As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] of the [chat]

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    So Cass, I'm suggesting you follow me in my new Christmas Tradition this year. Everytime TBS plays A Christmas Story, I put on Die Hard and watch it instead.

But what counters The Christmas Shoes?

What?

First there was this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcPVB-we7g

Which became so inexplicably popular there's a made for TV movie about it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUN1T8209f4

I have never heard that song or seen that movie.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    So Cass, I'm suggesting you follow me in my new Christmas Tradition this year. Everytime TBS plays A Christmas Story, I put on Die Hard and watch it instead.

But what counters The Christmas Shoes?

What?

First there was this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcPVB-we7g

Which became so inexplicably popular there's a made for TV movie about it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUN1T8209f4

I have never heard that song or seen that movie.

Truly blessed are thee

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    It's not targeted at you. There's a whole shadow realm populated entirely by Christian-lifestyle music, movies, and books. It's always amazing to me how something can be well known by tens of millions of Americans and still be something I've never heard of.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It's not targeted at you. There's a whole shadow realm populated entirely by Christian-lifestyle music, movies, and books. It's always amazing to me how something can be well known by tens of millions of Americans and still be something I've never heard of.

That's fair, and target demographics are important to consider when pondering a movie's merits.

But still

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    after years of pepsi max and diet coke i have switched to diet pepsi

i can't tell if this is reflex hipsterdom or authentic preference

i guess pepsi max was reflex hipsterdom

RC Cola bae

I like bae because it feels like a word that people really should be saying in the authentic cyberpunk dystopia of 2014

on the other hand pop culture masticates everything so quickly that learning new slang is useless. if I'm reading a word on PA, or worse, in a Time magazine article, it's already dead

anyway, Eddy should be drinking Dr Pepper 10, the fire from Olympus

@jacobkosh have you read Cloud Atlas?

That book does dialects from the future super well I think.

@OnTheLastCastle‌ yes it does! I read that book back in like 2006 and ended up buying copies for all of my friends that year. It really is great.

@desc Kim Basinger-chan <3

@Thomamelas‌ you're right, the contrast between Keaten and Nicholson is really key. Also I think the fact that Keaton is so grounded and stable (though he still has an element of danger) is what allows Nicholson to go full zany but not take the movie off the rails with him. It seems like usually when you get movie stars who hit a certain age and stop giving a fuck and start playing caricatures of themselves (like modern De Niro or Pacino) they detonate the movie along with themselves, but kind of the genius of a character like the Joker is that it's a role you can give to an actor in that phase of life and it still works.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2014
    Also, Thom, is High Noon still coming this week?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    the macros i used for healing were a thing of beauty though. i nearly broke the character limit on each macro. basically 3rd party mods would break my (already shit) computer so i programmed the functionality into macros within the standard UI

Oh yeah, healing sucked in WoW without macros. Click-healing especially changed how much I enjoyed healing immensely.

Though I will say those crazy macros they had way back when that would look at the missing health of the ally then choose the appropriate rank spell for you, target them and cast the spell was a little much.

yeah my macros were basically implementing the mouseover functionality plus adding modifiers for shift, alt and ctrl. nothing super fancy but installing an addon like click borked my machine

as it was, i spent most of WotLK 25 man raids facing away from the boss in order to keep my FPS above 1

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cloud Atlas is an amazing book and I kinda loved the film, problems aside, because its a hundred million dollars spunked all over the screen that basically repeats the wisdom of Bill and Ted: be excellent to one another.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

RC Cola bae

I like bae because it feels like a word that people really should be saying in the authentic cyberpunk dystopia of 2014

on the other hand pop culture masticates everything so quickly that learning new slang is useless. if I'm reading a word on PA, or worse, in a Time magazine article, it's already dead

OnTheLastCastle‌ yes it does! I read that book back in like 2006 and ended up buying copies for all of my friends that year. It really is great.

desc Kim Basinger-chan <3

Thomamelas‌ you're right, the contrast between Keaten and Nicholson is really key. Also I think the fact that Keaton is so grounded and stable (though he still has an element of danger) is what allows Nicholson to go full zany but not take the movie off the rails with him. It seems like usually when you get movie stars who hit a certain age and stop giving a fuck and start playing caricatures of themselves (like modern De Niro or Pacino) they detonate the movie along with themselves, but kind of the genius of a character like the Joker is that it's a role you can give to an actor in that phase of life and it still works.

It really was perfect casting for what Burton was trying to do. And Nicholson seemed to legitimately having fun with the role.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    Cloud Atlas is an amazing book and I kinda loved the film, problems aside, because its a hundred million dollars spunked all over the screen that basically repeats the wisdom of Bill and Ted: be excellent to one another.

I still haven't seen the movie and I need to fix that.

I guess David Mitchell has a new book out, too. I need to figure out a way to get a hold of that. Reading is still really slow for me but he's big enough now that maybe there'll be an audio.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    best news story today

here I'll sum it up

so diplo was hating on tswift on twitter

reminder diplo is katyp's bf, and she and Tswift are throwing shade

so diplo is on twitter like, 'someone should make a go fund me to get tswift a butt lol'

and then he posts a link to the go fund me like "everyone, lets get tswift a booty, because she doesn't have one lol"

and then Lorde comes in like 'while were at it, should we do something about your Tiny Penis hm?'

FUCKING BURN

OMG

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

RC Cola bae

OnTheLastCastle‌ yes it does! I read that book back in like 2006 and ended up buying copies for all of my friends that year. It really is great.

desc Kim Basinger-chan <3

Thomamelas‌ you're right, the contrast between Keaten and Nicholson is really key. Also I think the fact that Keaton is so grounded and stable (though he still has an element of danger) is what allows Nicholson to go full zany but not take the movie off the rails with him. It seems like usually when you get movie stars who hit a certain age and stop giving a fuck and start playing caricatures of themselves (like modern De Niro or Pacino) they detonate the movie along with themselves, but kind of the genius of a character like the Joker is that it's a role you can give to an actor in that phase of life and it still works.

It really was perfect casting for what Burton was trying to do. And Nicholson seemed to legitimately having fun with the role.

He is the 2nd best film/live action joker, no doubt. And for a long time he was #1.

It's a shame Mark Hamill just doesn't have the right physical build to be the joker because his voice with some one else's body would be the winner.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hmm I haven't tried Skype on Xbone

I should do that

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Whoever guesses my plans for the evening gets a cookie

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    best news story today

here I'll sum it up

so diplo is on twitter like, 'someone should make a go fund me to get tswift a butt lol'

and then he posts a link to the go fund me like "everyone, lets get tswift a booty, because she doesn't have one lol"

and then Lorde comes in like 'while were at it, should we do something about your Tiny Penis hm?'

FUCKING BURN

OMG

Pop culture celebrities now actually forced to attend a high school together.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I guess David Mitchell has a new book out, too. I need to figure out a way to get a hold of that. Reading is still really slow for me but he's big enough now that maybe there'll be an audio.

Are you typically buying eBooks and cranking the font size/contrast up if you have to read?

I mean, I can't even imagine, dude.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    synd, so my roommate is liking the Xbox One, but thinks he's missing out since he never plays multiplayer because we can't play together and his friends aren't playing the games that we're getting. So we're getting a second Xbox. I figure that he'll have to at least buy a second copy of Destiny so we can play together, but what about the other stuff. Does he also have to buy a second copy of Titanfall to play that if I'm not playing it at the same time?

i told you! you only need 2 copies to play at the same time

otherwise you can swap discs

I think it's implied that I don't have discs. Do you have discs?

i mostly do digital now

and i learned a new thing today in that you can scam the system!

• Options
    Also, Thom, is High Noon still coming this week?

Ketar promised a review by Friday and he had some family stuff come up. So I'm giving him a chance. If I go this week, it won't be High Noon. It won't be a Western. It won't be inspired by a Western. Unless Sholay pops up on Instant Watch. Then you're all getting the Curry Western. It's also a hugely interesting film from a cultural perspective. It holds the same kind of role in Indian film that Star Wars holds for us. One of the first massive blockbusters and it still watched today. Also it has a Bollywood dance number that is something ripped right out of the mind of Leone. If Leone had ever seen it, he would have angrily created the Spaghetti Western Musical to show those people what for.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

I thought visually it was amazing and the acting was mostly good. I liked the inter-cuts and how it built. I can see how some hated it though.

Seeing it in a theater seemed mandatory.

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Whoever guesses my plans for the evening gets a cookie

Is it to not actually send cookies to anybody?

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    Hmm I haven't tried Skype on Xbone

I should do that

It made last thanksgiving kind of magical at my dad's house.

I brought my XBO, set it up in the great room where we have two couches, and crammed like 14 people in there across the floor and couches.

We then contacted my stepmother's family in Texas and they had like 5-6 people there.

And with the kinect tuned and my dad's good sound system... we were all able to see each other in high def and talk.

It was the future.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    jake, you should get audible

i am loving so many of their narrators and you can even just browse by narrator

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

I honestly loved it

problems schmoblems; hardly anything that's part of my favourites don't have big flaws

but it was just a bunch of different stories in entirely different genres shown together and I loved it

the nice little dystopia story, which made me think of reading some dystopic novella in one of my dad's old collection books was in a movie together with the goofy charm (this is a genre) story of Cavendish, which was the kind of story that, if it was just a short movie standing on its own, would leave me with a big grin and a good feeling all day, made for a very enjoyable movie

EDIT: tom hanks always plays tom hanks, but that future dialect was well done. And the whole style of that story.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    best news story today

here I'll sum it up

FUCKING BURN

OMG

Fucking hell, it's like listening to a high schooler

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    It was also nice to see Tom Hanks just throw himself into a movie wholeheartedly, doing terrible accents and wearing awful wigs and sometimes it not working but always, always going full tilt.

I love Tom Hanks, and guess the movie was a nice break from picking up massive paychecks for Dan Brown horseshit he could sleep through.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    wtf

1800 pet meds sent me an email that says my doge "isnt a puppy anymore"

YES HE IS YOU FUCKS

HE WILL ALWAYS BE A PUPPY

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

Are you typically buying eBooks and cranking the font size/contrast up if you have to read?

I mean, I can't even imagine, dude.

Yeah, I need to read on a luminous surface rather than paper, but I was kind of headed that way anyway so that's okay, and my acuity isn't too bad; I don't need the fonts to be cranked up super high (I am currently reading PA at the exact same magnification I had before this happened, for instance). The real problem is that my actual cone of vision is like looking through a toilet paper tube, so scanning text is just annoyingly slow, regardless of how easy the words are to pick out. It's incredibly frustrating.

• Options
    Also a Spaghetti Western Musical scored by Morricone is something I would watch the shit out of.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    So Abd, was I right about smørbrød being a compound word?

And is it basically taking 2-3 words then smushing them together to create a new word that has a slightly different but specific meaning but is influenced by the parts?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    best news story today

here I'll sum it up

FUCKING BURN

OMG

These people are adults?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    synd, so my roommate is liking the Xbox One, but thinks he's missing out since he never plays multiplayer because we can't play together and his friends aren't playing the games that we're getting. So we're getting a second Xbox. I figure that he'll have to at least buy a second copy of Destiny so we can play together, but what about the other stuff. Does he also have to buy a second copy of Titanfall to play that if I'm not playing it at the same time?

There is a family share feature due to come back at some point in the future, at which point the answer is an emphatic no problem.

Though right now, you will need to remain signed in on the xbox that did not buy the game, and signed out of the xbox that did buy the game. then both machines can play the game.

I always felt like this was an abuse of the licensing to get free software bordering on piracy, but tons of people seem to do it and mods in G&T don't think its a big deal so whatevs.

I'd feel the same way if you gave your info to some you know, but we live in same house, already share passwords/accounts, and literally swap discs. I'm OK with it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    best news story today

here I'll sum it up

FUCKING BURN

OMG

These people are adults?

For all I know they could be spambots

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

That's fair, and target demographics are important to consider when pondering a movie's merits.

But still

Oh no no I don't mean to say it has merits. Basically 100% of the stuff that's specifically produced for Christian consumption in the US is so neutered and terrible it's depressing.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    I know I have issues but the idea of sharing passwords with anyone is just such an alien idea.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    best news story today

here I'll sum it up

FUCKING BURN

OMG

These people are adults?

Lorde isn't

also Lorde and diplo are friends

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Lipton Gold Label is one smooth-ass blend.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    It was also nice to see Tom Hanks just throw himself into a movie wholeheartedly, doing terrible accents and wearing awful wigs and sometimes it not working but always, always going full tilt.

I love Tom Hanks, and guess the movie was a nice break from picking up massive paychecks for Dan Brown horseshit he could sleep through.

I learned an important lesson about Tom Hanks.

No matter what, he is always Tom Hanks.

best scene of cloud atlas btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyObQH1RmLo

• Options
    edited November 2014

There is a family share feature due to come back at some point in the future, at which point the answer is an emphatic no problem.

Though right now, you will need to remain signed in on the xbox that did not buy the game, and signed out of the xbox that did buy the game. then both machines can play the game.

I always felt like this was an abuse of the licensing to get free software bordering on piracy, but tons of people seem to do it and mods in G&T don't think its a big deal so whatevs.

I'd feel the same way if you gave your info to some you know, but we live in same house, already share passwords/accounts, and literally swap discs. I'm OK with it.

in that case, sign your account onto your buddies XBO and he can play your games on his account (which will also be signed in and be the profile he is choosing to play games on) when you are not. You can kick him off your account when you want to play stuff.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    best news story today

here I'll sum it up

FUCKING BURN

OMG

i'm not going to post the that's the joke picture here but

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    @Elki @syndalis‌

Bought'd. Went with the Kinect-less version; got the AC:U bundle. Will look into this Destiny thing. :)

[ed] being that my wife's the boss though I don't get to open it until Christmas apparently. Booo, hiss!

iTunesIsEvil on
This discussion has been closed.