As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] of the [chat]

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    omg my sons are in the kitchen fighting about the best way to make grilledcheese sandwiches

ffs

time for a cook off

loser does laundry

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    OMFG IM WATCHING A CHALLENGER LOL TOURNAMENT BEING CASTED BY SEMI-PROS ON TWITCH AND I MADE A JOKE IN TWITCH CHAT AND THE CASTER STOLE IT!!!!!!

STOP WATCHING CARLOS MENICA"S STREAM!

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    the three-body problem is definitely tractable. it's actually real straightforward to model it with like runge-kutta etc. nasa got that complicated-ass orbit to intersect with that comet after all.

it's just lacking a closed-form solution.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    when is inquisition out cause its my birthday on the 18th

It releases on your birthday, or at 11pm on the 17th if you pre-order.

best birthday present evhar?

fembot32 are you going to be my co-op buddy or are you a console peasant.
    *narrows eyes*

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Someone at Time said something deliberately stupid in an attempt to get people talking about their lame word voting feature. I look forward to an editorial stating how pleased they were that the article had 'sparked debate'.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    The worst thing about Dragon Age is that I'll have to delete people in Origins because lolololol max friendslist

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    omg my sons are in the kitchen fighting about the best way to make grilledcheese sandwiches

ffs

...wat butter on bread cheese in middle put in frying pan

spool14, yelling, "that's not how DAAAAD does it!"
    spool16, in a condescending tone pitched so he knows I can hear him, "Yes, it is how dad does it. You don't know because he hasn't taught you yet. I'm trying to show you..."
    spool14, trying to speak quietly enough I can't hear, "Fuck you, I know how to make the sandwich."
    spool16 in same tone as before, "there's no reason for that language..."
    spool14, loudly "get out of the kitchen or I'm going to hit you with this pan"
    spool16 as he leaves the kitchen, "fine, I tried to help you, if you want to be an idiot it's not my problem"

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    the three-body problem is definitely tractable. it's actually real straightforward to model it with like runge-kutta etc. nasa got that complicated-ass orbit to intersect with that comet after all.

This comet landing was on ESA

Just pointing it out

*Euro pride*

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    OMFG IM WATCHING A CHALLENGER LOL TOURNAMENT BEING CASTED BY SEMI-PROS ON TWITCH AND I MADE A JOKE IN TWITCH CHAT AND THE CASTER STOLE IT!!!!!!

practically a celebrity

hey did you ever figure out what that time magazine feminist thing was?

yeah every year they're like 'lets vote out of this list of ten words that we want banned'

and one of them was 'feminist' this year

and a bunch were like 'black' words like 'bae, shade, base'

so its a nontroversy i guess

It's not quite a nontroversey since someone at Time handpicked all the options and wrote a blurb for each one.
    feminist: You have nothing against feminism itself, but when did it become a thing that every celebrity had to state their position on whether this word applies to them, like some politician declaring a party? Let’s stick to the issues and quit throwing this label around like ticker tape at a Susan B. Anthony parade.

Which isn't really offensive but takes a dumb southpark-like position.

taking back time magazine's "this is what a feminist looks like" t shirt

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    ...and now I started talking wandering salesman problem with my coding buddy. There goes the rest of the night.

• Options

ffs

lots of butter

low heat

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    a moderate amount of euro pride

nothing smaltzy you know

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

ffs

spool16, in a condescending tone pitched so he knows I can hear him, "Yes, it is how dad does it. You don't know because he hasn't taught you yet. I'm trying to show you..."
    spool14, trying to speak quietly enough I can't hear, "Fuck you, I know how to make the sandwich."
    spool16 as he leaves the kitchen, "fine, I tried to help you, if you want to be an idiot it's not my problem"

If I were spool I would be unreasonably proud that my children were viciously fighting over who knew how to make a grilled cheese more like I do.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    TTODewback wrote: »

*narrows eyes*

pahleez, consoles are not how one DAs

We're on for co-op, baby!

Belasco32 on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »
    a moderate amount of euro pride

nothing smaltzy you know
    how can you have pride in europe if europe isn't real

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

ffs

these kids need an older soul of questionable moral character to channel their energy into more profitable but less honest endeavors

i'm going to teach them the art of the grift

• Options

Just pointing it out

*Euro pride*

all growed up!

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Indeed, there is no practical solution for KSP to have anything more accurate but it does make for a system that isn't very comparable to the real universe one in terms of planning missions like this one.

Stuff can easily get a bit wonky in KSP because of non-continuous physics

Can't remember which thread it was, but someone told the story of a hiring interview where the interviewee had totally solved some NP-complete problem.

NP Complete problems aren't unsolvable they are unsolvable in polynomial time. The solution algorithm just grows really fast with N.

And this person had totally solved it inpolynomial time!

Keep in mind that this would be solving the entirety of NP-Complete, because by definition a solution of one NP-Complete problem can be used to solve every single other NP-Complete problem.

Anyway I doubt this story.

Also, related to KSP: apparently there's a mod that scales everything up to Earth-scale, and would probably make gravity assists much more useful between them being more effective and fuel being so much more precious. So I mean, if that's what you want, and you look forward to spending two hours futzing with maneuver nodes to actually get the multiple encounters you need (PROTIP: drop an empty node BEHIND your actual maneuver node, and it'll show you closest approach for the next orbit), go for it.

• Options

*narrows eyes*

We're on for coop, baby!

good good.
    I deleted BF4 to make room on my SSD
    (BF was almost up to 60GB and the final map pack isn't even out yet)
    We will be nigh unstoppable.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Just pointing it out

*Euro pride*

I'm just enjoying the way NASA is getting the credit over and over.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My Santee has a nice looking domicile.

Dinky car though.

But I guess that makes sense.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Indeed, there is no practical solution for KSP to have anything more accurate but it does make for a system that isn't very comparable to the real universe one in terms of planning missions like this one.

Can't remember which thread it was, but someone told the story of a hiring interview where the interviewee had totally solved some NP-complete problem.

NP Complete problems aren't unsolvable they are unsolvable in polynomial time. The solution algorithm just grows really fast with N.

I am doubtful.

If even a single NP complete problem ever has a solution algorithm in polynomial time that is equivalent to proving all of NP == P.

edit: I was so beat'd to this

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Just pointing it out

*Euro pride*

all growed up!

took some time but you know

there was this weird lack of rocket scientists for while :P

Sparvy on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    So uh..
    Channing Tatum is visiting a relative in the hospital today here in my fabulous city.
    He's was in the hallway getting swarmed by an army of freaky stalker psycho bitches.

Women are so much more fucked up than guys.
    If we did that we'd get our asses beat, tasered, and pepper sprayed.

did you see y2jake215‌ 's photo with kimbra the other day?

I don't even know who Kimbra is.

Somebody that Gotye used to know.

• Options

Just pointing it out

*Euro pride*

Well honestly.
    This is all a ploy for NASA to get their budget increased because they filthy communist are beating us in space.

Bless your heart.
  • Options

*narrows eyes*

We're on for coop, baby!

good good.
    I deleted BF4 to make room on my SSD
    (BF was almost up to 60GB and the final map pack isn't even out yet)
    We will be nigh unstoppable.

as @spool32 will tell you, I am a badass at co-op games, this is going to be awesome!

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i think the joke is that the person thought they solved an np complete problem in polynomial time
    and that they didn't understand that if that were true it would be a big deal

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    My Santee has a nice looking domicile.

Dinky car though.

But I guess that makes sense.

Thanks for ruling out anyone in NYC

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

Keep in mind that this would be solving the entirety of NP-Complete, because by definition a solution of one NP-Complete problem can be used to solve every single other NP-Complete problem.

according to your limited orthodox views

read more in my unpublished dissertation that will change everything

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Grilled cheese recipe. Bread. Butter. A young cheddar cheese. You can add other stuff here like bacon but I like to keep mine simple. Maybe some nice sun dried tomato. Butter both sides of the bread. Apply cheese. Cook till golden brown. Pair with a nice tomato soup.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I should get them a better newspaper subscription.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2014

I am doubtful.

If even a single NP complete problem ever has a solution algorithm in polynomial time that is equivalent to proving all of NP == P.

Yes. That was the point of this hiring interview story. Proving NP == P on their resume, right after "summer internship, data entry".

Echo on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    sandwich result:

smoke
    much smoke
    burnt cheese smell
    much cussing

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    On the list of "things to do before I die" one of them is definitely "solve some math problem people are offering a monetary reward for".

Like, it doesn't have to be a big one, but I'm sure there's gotta be a math problem out there some professor is offering $500 for a solution to that isn't really that hard.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    And there goes the first correction I had to make. Me dumb. :(

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular

Just pointing it out

*Euro pride*

We just want to give you guys that last feeling of success until the superior Chinese way of doing things rises to prominence.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    sandwich result:

smoke
    much smoke
    burnt cheese smell
    much cussing

wtf is so hard about grilled cheese

first you boil the water
    then you put in the noodles

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »
    On the list of "things to do before I die" one of them is definitely "solve some math problem people are offering a monetary reward for".

Like, it doesn't have to be a big one, but I'm sure there's gotta be a math problem out there some professor is offering $500 for a solution to that isn't really that hard.

I'm pretty sure if you look on Amazon's Mechanical Turk thing, you'll find exactly that.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    i love the impish tone of this paper on the p =? np problem:
    Lacking the mathematical tools to answer these questions rigorously we turn to rather non-rigorous means—polling. Almost all respondents are people whose opinions can be taken seriously.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
This discussion has been closed.