As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[chat] of the [chat]

• Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    there are far too many words on that poster

i would trim it to advent: an evening of meditation and music and the questions, the image, and the address

you have no idea how badly I wanted to change this thing

And, the worst bit, is that the rest of the committee is all proud of me for it and have already been telling people "Belasco made this fantastic flyer! Wait until you see it!"

ug.

maybe it hits the target "old folks who enjoy reading things on posters" demographics

i mean by definition they do enjoy reading things on posters

Average age of our congregation is 28.

The person who wrote the text was really in to it and I had to try and figure out how to get it all on there...but, imo, it's not a flyer it's damn near a pamphlet without the folding.

When I think "flyer" think bold text, context appropriate imagery, and short and to the point information

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    how is this possible?

location location location?

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Still feel bad. :(

You're a better man then me.

?

After doing it once I did not wish to take it on again.

Didn't actually know you once did this. Neat!

It has its stresses, especially when stuff like that happens, but so far it's been worth it.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    i'm guessing housing prices will always be inflated on islands, particularly on the coasts of those islands, and given the concentration of NZ pop in auckland...

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/386-Marcellus-Rd-Mineola-NY-11501/31107177_zpid/

How much would I need to spend in renovations such that it doesn't look like Im squating in a dead grandma's house?

i would trim it to advent: an evening of meditation and music and the questions, the image, and the address

And, the worst bit, is that the rest of the committee is all proud of me for it and have already been telling people "Belasco made this fantastic flyer! Wait until you see it!"

ug.

maybe it hits the target "old folks who enjoy reading things on flyers and have the time to do so" demographics

i mean by definition they do enjoy reading things on flyers and have the time to do so

yeah but these flyers seem to be focused on proselytizing. I imagine the "old folks who enjoy reading things on flyers and have the time to do so" would not be a target demo in this case.

It's only going out to our congregation, and the guy who wrote it wanted to explain what Advent is and then, I guess, he also felt the need to explain Taize...which I get, it's not a common form of worship.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/386-Marcellus-Rd-Mineola-NY-11501/31107177_zpid/

How much would I need to spend in renovations such that it doesn't look like Im squating in a dead grandma's house?

Jeeze

The pictures of that place make it look tiny

and considering real estate photography tries to make places look as big as possible...

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    the pro trick for making grilled cheese is covering it so that it traps the heat and melts the cheese

the pro trick is cooking the top with a smaller, preheated cast-iron pan while the bottom cooks in the main pan

Isn't this just a makeshift panini press?

Makeshift? Hardly!

I consider it rustic traditionalist.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    OMG

GUYS

YOU CAN BROIL CHICKEN

ug.

maybe it hits the target "old folks who enjoy reading things on posters" demographics

i mean by definition they do enjoy reading things on posters

Average age of our congregation is 28.

The person who wrote the text was really in to it and I had to try and figure out how to get it all on there...but, imo, it's not a flyer it's damn near a pamphlet without the folding.

When I think "flyer" think bold text, context appropriate imagery, and short and to the point information

rarely are committed visions aesthetically pleasing

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

I think @bowen may know some basic home reno stuff, although you will probably have to adjust upwards for NYC prices

you should move to the Chicago suburbs instead. much more affordable. fyi. hth.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    the pro trick for making grilled cheese is covering it so that it traps the heat and melts the cheese

the pro trick is cooking the top with a smaller, preheated cast-iron pan while the bottom cooks in the main pan

Isn't this just a makeshift panini press?

Makeshift? Hardly!

I consider it rustic traditionalist.

is that a nice way of saying redneck

ug.

something this convoluted is definitely the product of a larger committee with a vision

learn from advertising people, this is not how you do it

I'll be able to commiserate with the chair of the other committee that I'm on, he's been in marketing for 20+ years and we see eye to eye on this stuff. When I offered to do the layout and handle getting the thing printed and my partner in creating this event offered to do the text I had no idea we were talking about two different things. I'm new to this church, so, lesson learned!

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Panini press cheese grilling is pretty good, even heat and pressure, and very little fuzz.
    I believe in only lightly grilled cheese though, the cheese just slightly not solid and the bread caramelised but not black

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

gut the kitchen
    remove all that wallpaper (probably means new drywall)
    replace the paneling
    burn all the furniture and carpets
    maybe do something about those arches

beautiful floors though

also the ceilings look like they're about 72 inches high. should be okay for you, but if you have guests they'd be hunching down all the time

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

Take down all the wood paneling, sand all the finished wood molding and baseboard, remove all the wallpaper, remove all the carpet, get the floors professionally polished, and paint everything.

Edit: Oh man didn't even see the kitchen! All that's gotta go.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

i dont flip houses, but i have friends who do, and it seems like their reno budgets are usually 25-50% of the purchase price of the home

i think this can vary wildly due to local labor costs

also there has to be a certain amount of contingency in the budget because if they open a wall up and find a problem, it has to be addressed before work can continue

919UOwT.png
    that is precisely the sort of flyer i would expect to see from a church tho

maybe it's ironic

I think @bowen may know some basic home reno stuff, although you will probably have to adjust upwards for NYC prices

you should move to the Chicago suburbs instead. much more affordable. fyi. hth.

My company doesn't have an office in Chicago.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Still feel bad. :(

You're a better man then me.

?

After doing it once I did not wish to take it on again.

Didn't actually know you once did this. Neat!

It has its stresses, especially when stuff like that happens, but so far it's been worth it.

2011. The year Than got Riemann. Critical rolled that twice.

How much would I need to spend in renovations such that it doesn't look like Im squatting in a dead grandma's house?

I'm going to ballpark it at about 15k? The floor is wonderful, but that wood paneling, the insane red wallpaper, the kitchen floor, and all the door hardware need to go.

Extra cash to update the fireplace. It's an adorable little house :)

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    So uh..
    Channing Tatum is visiting a relative in the hospital today here in my fabulous city.
    He's was in the hallway getting swarmed by an army of freaky stalker psycho bitches.

Women are so much more fucked up than guys.
    If we did that we'd get our asses beat, tasered, and pepper sprayed.
    Nah, you just do it anonymously!

that is precisely the sort of flyer i would expect to see from a church tho

maybe it's ironic

...or just sad

I've done a lot of 'em, and getting folk to understand that more is not better has been an active challenge. Thankfully, I'm not in a position in this new church to have to do a lot of this sort of stuff and the people who are do marketing for a living...so there's hope!

a single key on my keyboard has slightly less tactile feedback than the other keys

obliterate society

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    i'm guessing housing prices will always be inflated on islands, particularly on the coasts of those islands, and given the concentration of NZ pop in auckland...

Not really. Its a reasonably new development for NZ and Auckland. Iirc house prices started shooting up about a decade ago.

Before that a house like what Mortious linked would have been far more affordable.

Auckland has exploded in population over the last 25 years, it attracts most migration and apparently new housing stock supply can't keep up.

The North Island, for the record, is bigger than Cuba

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Okay, I've got some intense ennui going on today.

This is getting in the way of all the completing massive amounts of work I would ideally be doing.

a sngle key on my keyboard has slghtly less tactle feedback than the other keys

oblterate socety

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Morty, is that a double wide?

Dont think so. It's like 93 years old.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    WANT SOME GOD?!

COME TO [belascos church]

boom

shit, I know I'm forgetting something I was supposed to do today...I hate this feeling.

I usually write everything down, but I didn't for today 'cause I was actually too tired yesterday...damnitdamnitdamnit.

Kalkino wrote: »

Not really. Its a reasonably new development for NZ and Auckland. Iirc house prices started shooting up about a decade ago.

Before that a house like what Mortious linked would have been far more affordable.

Auckland has exploded in population over the last 25 years, it attracts most migration and apparently new housing stock supply can't keep up.

The North Island, for the record, is bigger than Cuba

31% of NZ pop

a reinforcement of one of my sufficient but not necessary factors

i am satisfied with my wild guessing

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    renovating that kitchen is going to be a huge wallet drainer, for sure

919UOwT.png
    shit, I know I'm forgetting something I was supposed to do today...I hate this feeling.

I usually write everything down, but I didn't for today 'cause I was actually too tired yesterday...damnitdamnitdamnit.

we're supposed to build a couch fort and open all the windows and hide from the planet until payday tomorrow.

Did it have anything to do with

- Church
    - Groceries
    - spool
    - spool14
    - spool16
    - Blameless Cleric
    - other family memebers
    - house chores
    - a job
    - errands about town

?

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    ah, here is my failure, allow me to make it more public...also, I'd actually like y'all's honest opinion about the text. I didn't write it and wouldn't have put ALL of it on a flyer if it had been up to me...
    x4ESfKql.jpg

Did they force you to use that font for the copy? I'd go smaller, block track the paragraphs and give it more line spacing to help it breath...or just change the font. Also like winky said, more white space.

Not a whole lot you can do with that much text. I feel your pain.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    COME ON DOWN ON SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY

we're supposed to build a couch fort and open all the windows and hide from the planet until payday tomorrow.

true, when are you coming home so we can get to that, or should I have the boys start?

a sngle key on my keyboard has slghtly less tactle feedback than the other keys

oblterate socety

it types fine, it just doesn't make as obvious a resistance at the actuation point as it should

BUT I ENJOYED YOUR FAULTY JOKE FOR THE PURPOSES OF HUMOR I AM NOT A ROBOT BEEP BOOP

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    *Sets up complex molecular reaction*
    *Performs it without mistake*
    *Goes to use electricity*

Hmmmmm. Red is dead so red is negative. But black cats are considered unlucky so perhaps black is negative.

I want to buy a rowhouse like I live in now in my nabe. Rent out one floor for a few years and then convert it to a bitchin' duplex.

I'd need a huge loan from the Bank of Dad to make that happen tho.

This discussion has been closed.