As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLP: Half the ponies, twice the excitement! Season 5 in Spring 2015!!!

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Equestria Daily put up an extended preview for this week's release of Friends Forever #11. The two extra pages are in the box below.
    P93g1QF.jpgk4gRASA.jpg

Owenashi on
  • Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    Not 100% sold on the art style but that is a character pairing I like, if only in the hopes we get more details about the Wonderbolts.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    New CCG card was spoiled. I'll stuff it under an actual spoiler this time.
    9kWeSo2.png

I'm looking forward to more cards like this, personally. It'll help keep faceoffs lively!

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    8OgE0Sx.jpg
    ugjqoPT.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Sorry for more cardgame spam, but a buncha new CCG spoilers hit again, including some new mechanics! If you're interested in the full write up you can head on over to EqD. New cards and a summary quote under the spoiler.
    Have you ever read the game text on a card and thought, "That’s nice, but I wish I could use that text more than once per turn." Prior to the release of Crystal Games, the only way you can do that is to pack two or three copies of that card in your deck and hope to draw them and get them into play. The Teamwork keyword allows you to use the game text on some of your characters more than once per turn (if you do a little planning to pull it off).

A card with the Teamwork keyword gives you this ability: "Your other Friends here that share a trait with this card also have its other printed abilities."

b0OFmQc.png
    eTU58fx.png
    D5ay9Ex.jpg

Things are looking to get bonkers.

If you're interested in the Crystal Games, check out this map for participating pre-release locations. It's going to be a sealed event, happening on November 21-23. Early access to those sweet new cards!

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I'm with Rarity on this one.

• Options
    SedraxisSedraxis Kooloo LimpahRegistered User regular
    That's a weird way to spell Applejack.

Mirrodinlandscape.jpg
    3DS: 0232-8293-7683
  • Options
    cats rule dogs drool

• Options
    Lies and slander.
    The drool is not entirely false.

Mirrodinlandscape.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Cats and Dogs are both great.

Suck it, pet binarists.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    It ain't easy being Inconvenient Trixie.

Z3K7gOM.png

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Now I will forever think most glue bottles in Equestria say "equine-free".

Mirrodinlandscape.jpg
  • Options
    tumblr_nez9zxfeoe1s0sz7go9_1280.png

What could Fluffle be possibly looking at in the latest update?

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Do you enjoy cards? Do you enjoy ponies? Do you enjoy spoilers for upcoming set releases? Well then, have I got a deal for you. Come on down to TNC's spoilerpalooza, and click the spoiler link for pony cards you can't yet purchase or obtain. It'll be cardtastic.
    </3amInfomercial>
    iCNH35M.png
    300px-CrystalGames_036.jpg
    jSuFImU.png
    3KjntrZ.png
    8ksOKkj.jpg
    Oj6Niev.jpg
    uLIHzZD.jpg
    300px-CrystalGames_196.jpg

So, Destiny Drain seems like the "answer" to a lot of unchecked combo decks, as well as having the potential to hit some aggro decks and control decks pretty hard. Time will tell just how good it is in play, but right now it looks like this card was designed to completely hose the OTK decks.

As an aside, I got my hands on the Celestial Solstice set yesterday, so it's available at retail currently. The oversized manes are pretty cool to look at, but they seem like they'd be cumbersome to transport and play with.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Comet got an upgrade!

And purple/white can be a good control deck...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I get so confused when cards just say Friend. Why can't they say opponent's Friend?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, even though Enterplay are moving into their third set, they still have some templating and wording issues. All things considered, the CCG is really complicated compared to what I would have expected, and it keeps getting more complex (Not really a terrible thing! I just have a hard time keeping up).

Quite a few folks are vocally upset about Pony Charm already. Both mechanically and from a flavor perspective there have been a number of objections that it's unfun and "not pony". The jury's still out for me, personally, but I can certainly feel a shift in the way the game must be approached. With control threats like that, and more reactions mixed into faceoffs, there are additional aspects to the game that previously didn't require a lot of thought.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    What.

I mean, social kung-fu is basically Rarity's thing. I'm not seeing it. If this was a Shadowrun campaign, she'd totally be a Face.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    New comic day (two days ago)!

Anyway, I just realized we never discussed the Rainbow & Spitfire FF issue. Short review, don't let the slightly wonky art and Spitfire's inappropriate expressions put you off, it was a good issue.
    No in-depth observations, just glad about the additional character development the two of them got. I cannot tell you how pleased I am to see Dash portrayed as a generally good teacher for the foals with no real caveats.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Quite a few folks are vocally upset about Pony Charm already. Both mechanically and from a flavor perspective there have been a number of objections that it's unfun and "not pony". The jury's still out for me, personally, but I can certainly feel a shift in the way the game must be approached. With control threats like that, and more reactions mixed into faceoffs, there are additional aspects to the game that previously didn't require a lot of thought.

Lots of people have idealized views about what "pony" is that doesn't really fit with how the show has developed the world around the main six. Don't forget that we've on screen had ponies like Suri, someone who was willing to just casually backstab Rarity professionally to get ahead, and she was just some random former acquaintance and not any real villain at all. Same for the market ponies in the Iron Will episode, every single vendor Fluttershy went to was willing to walk all over her.

In spite of being a land of pastel colors and fluffy clouds, Equestria isn't actually just a land of pastel colors and fluffy clouds.

Ruldar on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2014
    When they add Pony Necropotence you can start to worry

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    In case anyone feels like being awesome, one of the first Desert Bus silent auctions this year is a needle felted Celestia & Luna.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, I don't buy the "flavor" argument against Pony Charm, given that literal mind control has been a legit thing in Equestria for a while now. And from a mechanistic standpoint, I'm kind of excited to see Pony Charm out there as a control player - However I am fairly concerned that people will rage when it's used.

There's a subset of folks who feel like aggro is the only way to play this game. Seriously, someone wrote an essay on why non-aggro approaches to the CCG are unfair. As someone who's been curb stomped by aggro more times than I can count, I don't particularly think there's anything more or less fair about any approach to the game than any other. It may be unbalanced in certain regards, but it's still meant to be fun. I think I'm spending a bit too much time in some of the MLPCCG areas of the net. It's becoming a little too serious.
    When they add Pomy Necropotence you can start to worry

Personally, I'm holding out for a Pony Storm keyword.
    PMAvers wrote: »
    In case anyone feels like being awesome, one of the first Desert Bus silent auctions this year is a needle felted Celestia & Luna.

Oooh, those are nice. If I had any chance at all, I'd bid (It's already almost at double madness)!

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

Oooh, those are nice. If I had any chance at all, I'd bid (It's already almost at double madness)!

Just ended at $1080.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    So I sort of lost interest in the show around the breezies episode and had sort of been moving away, but I decided on a whim to give the finale a try.
    Goddamn, that was some serious pony. Might be the best episode so far.

• Options
    You missed Maud Pie :(

• Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Actually I think Testing 1,2,3 was the last one I watched before the finale. I did see Maud... the bit where she ate a rock thinking it was a muffin had me in stitches.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Can I just say that I love this Luna blog? `Cuz I do.
    tumblr_nf1zpvaoCS1sy8ni7o1_r1_1280.png

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I've seen enough hentai fan art to know where this is going...

Edit: it's even animated :D

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Wait, I didn't consider it an inappropriate blog. Is that over the line? I'll nuke it post haste if it is.

It's just been an ongoing arc where they've been riffing on the EqG human angle for a while. Luna's usually a pony...

I just love the expressions in that last frame.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Nah, just the whole Lyra->Human thing.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Equestria Daily has a three-page preview of the next Friends Forever issue up. One of the pages is within the box below.
    2.jpeg

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Luna After Dark is wonderful. Kevin is best bee pony.

And that comic issue looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Ruldar on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Not Crazy

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I get so confused when cards just say Friend. Why can't they say opponent's Friend?

Because sometimes you want to Thunderclap the opponent's resources off your own Friend.

discrider on
  • Options
    After realising that I'd lost a lot of my pony remixes in the last HD crash, I went looking. found out that Alex S replaced his Pinkie Party mix with a VIP version. It's neat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gfniCDbbzg

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Wait... Is he in San Diego?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    YAY! Our first official word on Season 5 is here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq7QXnFCq-E

Looks like we've got about a four month wait left ahead of us.

This discussion has been closed.