As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Valkyria Chronicles] You Got Your RPG in my World War 2 - VC4 on PC Sept 25!

SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited August 2018 in Games and Technology
nB6NAns.png
Valkyria Chronicles
Valkyria Chronicles is a series of games set in a fictionalised World War 2, with a narrative drawing heavily from traditional war dramas, albeit with an anime twist. Whilst undoubtedly in the JRPG genre, the gameplay derives from tabletop wargaming, with a strategic map showing placement of units and a Command Point system being used to move them. Once a unit is selected, movement and firing is in third-person perspective. Despite the game's age, it still looks a treat thanks to both the CANVAS engine's unique and heavily stylised shader technology, and the wonderful visual design provided by the artist Raita, renowned for his previous work in mechanical design and fantastical war machines (among other things).

fF6wDkj.jpg

Numerous mechanics give the games in the series quite some depth beyond the tactical map, such as:

Recruitment and Traits:
The player must select 17 soldiers from a large roster of possible recruits belonging to five classes, with each soldier having their own traits that affect them on the battlefield. Picked a raging antiSemite antiDarcsen and deployed them next to a Darcsen on the battlefield? They'll suffer a penalty to their fighting ability, they won't help with covering fire, and they'll bitch a bit. Likewise, a sniper with pollen allergies might not do so hot in a forest. Check back at the Headquarters from time to time during the story, as new possible recruits will occasionally be available.

Experience:
Experience points can be gained via main story missions and skirmishes, which are single battles that can be replayed repeatedly. You get more experience the fewer turns you take to complete a mission. Experience can be used to level up each class of soldier (Scout, Shocktrooper, etc). Levelling up is done on a class-wide basis, so no worries about trying to keep your soldiers equally levelled with each other.

Money:
The almighty dollar. Earned the same way as experience, it's primarily used to buy new equipment and uniforms for your soldiers, and upgrades to your tanks (yeah, you eventually get more than one). Things like better rifles and grenades for your bodies on the ground, and upgraded treads, canon barrels, and such for the tanks.

Orders:
Commands may be given by the commander to his troops that act as buffs. Increased movement, healing, offense, etc. Not going to lie, these are occasionally rather broken, so use at your own risk.

Camps:
The objective in missions is to take control of the enemy camp while stopping them occupying your own. The amount of bonus money and experience you get is determined by how many turns it takes to capture those of the enemy, and captured points can be used to call in reinforcements from your recruited soliders.

The Games:

Valkyria Chronicles 1
8Zsa8Fw.jpg

The game that started it all. Originally released for PlayStation 3, it now has a happy home on PC. Released on Steam with an excellent port, it very much deserves a purchase. Follows the saga of Squad 7 of the Gallian militia, focusing on Alicia, a former baker from the small town of Bruhl, and Welkin, the unassuming son of a late general who comes to command the Edelweiss tank.

Note that the PC version also comes with the DLC released for VC1 bundled. They don't directly take part within the main story, but a playthrough is recommended of each. They are:
Selvaria's Mission: Behind Her Blue Flame
Follows a soldier from the Imperial army, under Selvaria's command. A great way to see the war through the other side's eyes, and provides an important new perspective on Gallia.
Edy’s Mission: Enter the Edy Detachment
Edy Nelson sucks, but the Japanese like her a lot, so she ended up getting her own little story. Originally a normal recruitable character, this DLC follows her and a few others after they get separated from the bulk of Squad 7.

For more details on the PC port, the game has an unlocked frame rate option, and selectable resolution. GeDoSaTo can be used to downsample if your PC is up to it, which can make the game look simply stunning (as if it didn't look good enough already). Keyboard controls for combat are also extensively remappable and the game has controller support. Do note, however, that there are a couple of idiosyncrasies; main menu controls are slightly odd (keyboard to select options, click to choose them, but you get used to it quickly), and cutscenes are prerendered 720p movies (but look fine aside from small jaggies).

There is also an anime of VC1. Spoilers: It sucks.

Valkyria Chronicles 2
Ya55NOS.jpg

Marking a sad shift away from the PlayStation 3 to the PlayStation Portable, this is considered something of a low point in the series. The narrative deviated from the war drama of Valkyria Chronicles 1 to a lighter and largely academic setting, and gameplay utilised smaller maps to cope with the reduced power of the PSP. Saw the introduction of the Armoured Tech class. If you have a tolerance for highschool drama and cliche anime/JRPG characters, it's still worth a look.

Valkyria Chronicles 3
mOHHUan.jpg

A return to form, albeit still on PSP. Following Gallian Army Squad 422, a penal battalion with the nickname The Nameless, this takes a darker turn as it follows the trials of the Darcsen Imca, Valkyrur-descendant Riela, and their commander Kurt. Has had a fan translation (that's best not asked about on these forums), given that it hasn't been officially localised thanks to SEGA being, well, SEGA. There's an anime OVA of VC3 as well, and by most accounts it's not half bad.

Valkyria Chronicles 4
220px-Valkyria_Chronicles_4.png

A return to the grand scale of Valkyria Chronicles 1, now following the Allies Atlantic Federation. Something of an analogue to the Winter War of Finland.

The Classes:
Scout
Your eyes and ears. Blessed with a high movement rate, these guys can flit about the map and give valuable information about enemy positions and movements. While their initial armament is light, eventually they receive rifle-mounted grenades, which are very effective.

Shocktrooper:
The workhorse of any unit. They take a lot of hurt and give it right back in equal measure, lugging around thick armour and machine guns. Any Imperial's day will be ruined if caught in the crossfire of shocktroopers crouching behind sandbags. Flamethrowers eventually become available for them, which are just fantastically fun to use.

Lancer:
Basically this universe's answer to the bazooka and other antitank weaponry. Appearing to be armed with a medieval lance, these units are actually carrying rockets that will lay the hurt on enemy armour. Can be used on enemy units in a pinch, throwing them about and destroying cover such as trees and sandbags.

Engineer:
Less about killing so much as facilitating others who do the job, engineers have a grab-bag of useful tricks up their sleeve. This includes the ability to construct sandbag defenses, disarm both antitank and antipersonnel mines, resupply soldiers with ammunition, and repair tanks.

Sniper:
What it says on the tin. Thanks to missed shots and very low movement ability, they tend to be looked upon poorly early on, but they become a monster in the later game with upgrades. Remember to zoom when using them.

Armored Tech:
Only available in Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3, they're best described as walking tanks. With very high defenses and strong melee attacks, they can smash through the most well-defended of enemy lines.

The Setting:
t2ERkHu.jpg

Principality of Gallia
waHnTCk.jpg
Valkyria, Valkyria
May the bloodline live forever
Valkyria, Valkyria Bless and protect our fertile land

Home to every Valkyria Chronicles game, Gallia is a small coastal duchy sitting atop large Ragnite deposits, the substitute for oil and electricity. Despite a policy of mandatory military service and a draft being instituted, the country finds itself fighting for its life against the juggernaut of the Imperial war machine. Thematically and aesthetically, best thought of as a mix of Belgium and Switzerland.

Autocratic East Europan Imperial Alliance
bz5c9iE.jpg
Forward we march
To conquer those who defile the graves of our fathers
For the everlasting glory of the Emperor, king of kings

Lead by our Grace, conqueror of our enemies, king of kings, Emperor Maximillian, the Empire controls a vast territory to the East of Gallia. Acting as the antagonist of the Valkyria Chronicles, the Emperor, along with his triumvirate of generals, invades Gallia to secure their resources with the expectation of an easy fight. Heavily influenced by the geographical position and landscape of the Russian Empire, militarism of Nazi Germany, and the aesthetic of the late Roman Empire.

Atlantic Federation
QRhts5P.jpg
In the name of peace and equality, we join hands in the brotherhood
To defend these ideals from evil! Will we stand and fight?

A coalition of various Western democracies who... you can guess who these guys represent from WW2, really.

Darcsen:
MeeOv64.jpg
Jews. No, really. It's not subtle. Any character with dark blue hair is a Darcsen, an ethnic group loathed in the game universe given the rumoured "Darcsen Calamity" that is collectively blamed on them. This can work both against and for the player in battle, as while some characters detest them, Darcsen soldiers will often have a camaraderie bonus for working with others. Often considered smelly, hunched, ugly, and the usual grab-bag of traits associated with 1930s antiSemitism. Being a Darcsen is suffering.

Valkyrur:
ojDraBp.jpg
Not a lot that can be said about this without heavy spoilers, but suffice to say, Valkyrur are basically a parallel to nuclear weapons. Selvaria Bles is an example of one.

Suriko on

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Maybe it was because of my naivete, but the very first time I played this game and reached *that mission* I was so distraught I couldn't play it for 2 days.
    Even for knowing anime tropes, I literally didnt see it coming.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    Pro tips for VC1 newbies:

Scouts unlock rifle grenades at level 11, shocktroopers unlock flamethrowers
    The firepower route for rifles eventually gains increased number of shots
    Marina Snipers gain their final potential at level 16
    Unlock a character's hidden potential by killing enemies, capping bases and saving fallen allies, or by buying Ellet's reports for story characters.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Also, I don't remember if the game explicitly spells it out for you or not, but always deploy Alicia, Rosie, and Largo in every mission. They're classified as leaders, and they'll each give you an extra CP.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Heh, never seen that map before. It's pretty cool to just go "oh it's alt-earth, shit looks a little bit different here".

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Heh, never seen that map before. It's pretty cool to just go "oh it's alt-earth, shit looks a little bit different here".

Gallia is basically a combination of Belgium (politically and historical happening) and Holland (geography) in WW2 and post-WW2.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Sweet, new thread smell. Thanks, @Suriko!

Finally getting some proper playtime myself. The bridge mission is reminding me just how not used to this game I am.

All right Alicia, I want you and Wavy to stack up behind that tank while I get the mortar in position to flush the enemy out of their camp. No, don't worry about that glowing barrel I'm having you stand next to, there's no way the enemy can accidentally hit it while firing at you.

...right. Okay Dallas, go scrape those two off the field, and whoever's left just make a blind run at the flag and let's see what happens.

Fuck yeah grade C I'm best at tactics!

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Man, I'm trying to remember if I allowed myself to finish a map with any of my units killed. I remember the medics evacuating people, but I feel like more likely I would just restart if anyone got killed.

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Man, I'm trying to remember if I allowed myself to finish a map with any of my units killed. I remember the medics evacuating people, but I feel like more likely I would just restart if anyone got killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0GFEzyRPzQ

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    another great thing about this game is that it has a little bit of the XCOM viability with terrain. You put someone half in, half out of cover, or behind a rock, and while they still take full damage from shots that hit them, shots that hit terrain are negated.

I know this now, but what hooked me was this alignment of coincidences in the training mission in bruhl. I put my guy behind a rock because he didn't have enough movement and I didn't have enough CP to keep moving him to get to a sandbag. He triggered the 'no hit evasion/dive for the dirt' mechanic and I and my friend were like, "holy shit! he fucking ducks behind cover! *THAT'S* how you fight a war, son!"

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    @suriko well obviously, but I would never have the opportunity to leave anyone behind, since I would never let anyone fall, and I'd restart a map to do it "perfectly."

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Permadeath only happens if somebody goes down and an enemy touches them. So unless that happens, it's not something to overly worry about.

Oh, also there are some secret character recruits that only unlock if certain people get shot down and rescued.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Permadeath only happens if somebody goes down and an enemy touches them. So unless that happens, it's not something to overly worry about.

Oh, also there are some secret character recruits that only unlock if certain people get shot down and rescued.

Including one of the best shocktroopers in the game.

One of her personal abilities is getting to go again. Shoot twice, heal and shoot, machine gun then flamethrower... it's pretty useful when it kicks in.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Vyse gets Undodgeable Shot, Super Damage (extra damage to human targets), and Double Attack, as well as Challenge Lover that further increases his damage if he takes fire.

He is literally capable of turning everyone into paste.

vagrant_winds on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    Valkyria Chronicles PC
    Virtua Fighter 5 PC
    Skies of Arcadia PC
    Bayonetta PC
    Vanquish PC
    Jet Set Radio Future PC
    House of the Dead :Overkill PC

1 out of 7 ain't bad. I'd double dip.

edited November 2014
    Yakuza 1 & 2 HD PC.
    Yakuza 3 PC.
    Yakuza 4 PC.
    Yakuza 5 PC.
    Yakuza 0 PC.
    Yakuza Kenzen PC.
    Yakuza Ishin PC.

Shenmue PC.
    Shenmue II PC.

Phantasy Star Online 2 PC release for the west (announced over two years ago for localization).

vagrant_winds on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Still need to learn not to send the Scouts out too far ahead.

It's neat if they can take a base in one turn. It's not so neat if that then means they need to face fours guys and a tank all alone without any sandbags around.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Also, for those of us without PSPs:

Valkyria Chronicles 2 PC
    Valkyria Chronicles 3 PC

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    edited November 2014
    Oh, another tip that I just got reminded of:

Once you see the Batomys, tighten your anus.

Actual tips for that prick of a fight:
    - The objective is to kill the radiators, then whittle down the tank itself afterwards
    - Turrets take one lancer shot plus one tank shot to destroy
    - 1 grenade down the radiator will destroy it
    - Try to take out the left-hand radiator first, as once Selvaria appears, it'll be much harder to approach that side
    - You don't need to kill Selvaria. The Batomys is the only objective.

Suriko on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    My only tip is once Alicia is maxed out, you don't really need anyone else. She is so OP.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Downloading as we speak. This release really came at just the right time, given that we seem to be in the middle of a pretty bad pre-holiday release dry spell at the moment. I had no idea they were going to port Valkyria Chronicles at all to be honest, so this was a nice surprise. Also as something of a miser, I fucking love it when the PC port of something gets all of the console version's DLC for free.

No spoilers please!

Waka Laka wrote: »
    My only tip is once Alicia is maxed out, you don't really need anyone else. She is so OP.

For flag rushing? Yes. For troop/tank killing? No.

edited November 2014
    Holy shit, B rank on the first go at Batomys!

But I lost Nils doing so. Oh god, do I let him go, or replay that ass of a mission again? Whyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Edit: I returned to the title screen. I... I just can't let him go. Tomorrow I'll do it all over again.
    pHGqVLF.jpg

Suriko on

For flag rushing? Yes. For troop/tank killing? No.

Yeah, I should have elaborated, for flag rushing. I've seen her completely surrounded and dodge everything on the way.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Alicia + demolition boost = a better tank killer than a lancer.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

One of her personal abilities is getting to go again. Shoot twice, heal and shoot, machine gun then flamethrower... it's pretty useful when it kicks in.

Who? (In spoilers please, I guess.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Who? (In spoilers please, I guess.)
    Lynn.

edited November 2014
    Alicia + demolition boost = a better tank killer than a lancer.

And most good Shocktroopers will be better than her with the same.

Scouts are for flags. Shocktroopers and your (two good) Snipers are for killing shit. Lancers become nearly completely useless later on once you get the better Orders.

vagrant_winds on
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

- The objective is to kill the radiators, then whittle down the tank itself afterwards
    - Try to take out the left-hand radiator first, as once Selvaria appears, it'll be much harder to approach that side

Ugh, I saved and loaded and loaded and loaded and saved and loaded and ... well, you get the point. Also only used lancers in the second stage which made the fight a bit harder than necessary, didn't realize grenades would've worked. A bullshit fight, anyways - I hope there's not too many like that or I'll just quit somewhere along the way. That just wasn't fun.

edited November 2014
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »

Ugh, I saved and loaded and loaded and loaded and saved and loaded and ... well, you get the point. Also only used lancers in the second stage which made the fight a bit harder than necessary, didn't realize grenades would've worked. A bullshit fight, anyways - I hope there's not too many like that or I'll just quit somewhere along the way. That just wasn't fun.

It's a weird difficulty spike, and a badly designed mission to begin with that relies on untold information. Once you know grenades work, you can just have scouts hover near the stairs and keep a couple of lancers out of harm's way in the south for once the radiators are out.

Suriko on
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Valkyria Chronicles PC
    Virtua Fighter 5 PC
    Skies of Arcadia PC
    Bayonetta PC
    Vanquish PC
    Jet Set Radio Future PC

If I'm not mistaken, house of the dead: overkill is actually an option in typing the dead: overkill so that has basically released too

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Valkyria Chronicles PC
    Virtua Fighter 5 PC
    Skies of Arcadia PC
    Bayonetta PC
    Vanquish PC
    Jet Set Radio Future PC

You...HAVE house of the dead: Overkill. It's called Typing of the dead: Overkill, but you can play the actual shooty version as well.

I should play VC more today. Keep getting distracted by other things.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »
    Valkyria Chronicles PC
    Virtua Fighter 5 PC
    Skies of Arcadia PC
    Bayonetta PC
    Vanquish PC
    Jet Set Radio Future PC

You...HAVE house of the dead: Overkill. It's called Typing of the dead: Overkill, but you can play the actual shooty version as well.

I should play VC more today. Keep getting distracted by other things.

And if you're not playing it with typing, you really should be playing it with a gun controller.

Sadly you can't use the Guncon 3 on it like you can with Namco's games, but you can play it with the Move and a gun attachment on the PS3 for a very close semblance.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    God. My scouts officially have a better hit to miss ratio than my fucking sniper, who in two missions, at least 15 shots fired by her, has hit twice. Meanwhile, Aika is just wrecking shit and nailing every headshot.

M A G I K A Z A M
    You are obviously not using Marina. I think it's almost stastically imposible for her to miss a headshot... or at least it feels that way.

She is long range death incarnate.

edited November 2014
    Catherine is also pretty good. but she's not Marina.

vagrant_winds on
    edited November 2014
    Remember to actually zoom in. You're probably not doing that if you're complaining about Snipers missing.

vagrant_winds on
    edited November 2014
    Vanilla must love snipers with this quadpost it forced on me.

Or just love Marina and want to cure her of her shyness.

vagrant_winds on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The game has crashed on me twice right at the end of the training introduction. It's very inconvenient. Is that happening to anyone else?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I think that a sniper yelling "Come on, HIT!" is pretty much the main chorus for this entire game

dN0T6ur.png