As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Three Card Blind: Magic The Gathering! Rise of Rise of the Eldrazi

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Oh hey, Mental Misstep doesn't do what I thought it did.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Damn, i missed the Ebon stronghold requiring tap. I should have gone with a lotus, could have swung on turn 2... As ZeroCow figured out!

• Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I was expecting more man-lands.

Oh well, maybe next time.

Edit: and more instant-speed removal.
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Oh hey, Mental Misstep doesn't do what I thought it did.

In my opinion it's still a decent choice, since it hits a lot of removal which is relevant against the Lab Maniac deck. Too bad no-one actually played any of that removal.

Final edit:
    Loses to Lucedes. Trinisphere forces the counter, then the 3/4 runs over 2 1/1s.

Not that it matters, but it's only 1 1/1, since if he counters Trinisphere he needs to remove Slippery Bogle, and if he doesn't counter he can't get the Bogle out before Trinisphere comes down.

Papillon on
  • Options
    ScisScis Registered User regular
    Turns out the slightly better version of my deck that I thought would've actually been slightly better, performing the same in every matchup but beating the other Force of Will deck. Also another deck that I thought of that I'm surprised no one played at all.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Scis wrote: »
    Turns out the slightly better version of my deck that I thought would've actually been slightly better, performing the same in every matchup but beating the other Force of Will deck. Also another deck that I thought of that I'm surprised no one played at all.

Thank-you. I know what card I'm playing instead of Flash next round. (If I still play Maniac).

Papillon on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i have so many crazy brews for the next one.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Woo! The old adage about Blue Counterspells dicking over everyone holds true.

So is it just Force of Will that will be banned or all the other bits of the two winning decks?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    So is it just Force of Will that will be banned or all the other bits of the two winning decks?

I'm not convinced FoW needs banning, since it's pretty easy to beat with man-lands.

Although FoW being a legitimate, competitive deck makes most of the ban list look a little silly. I have a hard time imagining how Coercion is ever better than Force; Show and Tell always loses to Force; etc.

On the other hand, Maniac can beat Force and still have a chance against a wide range of other decks (stay tuned for next round).

• Options
    Cap's plan was to ban the winning decks to keep the playfield shifting.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Oh. I don't think that's necessary, since (I suspect) if it's not banned next round a big % of the decks will be geared to beat the FoW deck, so the playfield will shift naturally in a (very complicated) game of Rock, Paper, Scissors.

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I'm open to both possibilities. I'm just using the rules I played with last time.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I like the ban plan. Keep things fresh.

But if people want the opportunity to try and build to counter it we could say a card gets banned when it has appeared in two winning decks?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    i'm fine either way.

• Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    Maybe do another round or two without banning to see if there is a shift.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    For those like me who don't speak fluent Tragic, I've done an English subtitled version of the decklists:

Scis, 40 Points:
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=382943&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=197532&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=218021&type=card

Jam Warrior, 40 Points:
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=382943&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=150999&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=282542&type=card

Lucedes, 35 Points:
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=383015&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=194979&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=135235&type=card

Peccavi, 30 Points:
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=382866&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=230788&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=230066&type=card

Papillion, 30 Points:
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=382866&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=230788&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=16440&type=card

Dis' & Zero Cow, 23 Points:
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=382866&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=389735&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=121155&type=card

Feral, 14 Points:
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=383015&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=45478&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=9706&type=card

JPants, 10 Points:
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=270467&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=389735&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=121155&type=card

El Skid, 5 Points:
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=382866&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=382866&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=136153&type=card

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Only now do I see that three people tried to Dark Depths/HexMage, and that Feral gets bonus points for the best flavour text I've seen on a Magic card.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Look, I'm not saying I'm the greatest at this.

But I have my next deck ready.

It has none of the same cards as my first deck.

And it would have got me 42 points in round one.

8-)

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm pretty sure I have a deck ready, which uses 2/3 the same cards I used in round 1, which would have beat the field in round 1.

And another which uses only cards no-one used in round 1. Edit: woops, the second deck draws to Feral. Second edit: and actually a whole bunch of other people. Maybe not so good after all.

Edit: Also, rules clarification: Is it you can't make a deck that wins on THE first turn, or YOUR first turn? I.e. If I make a deck that can win on my first turn, but only when I'm on the draw, is that OK?

Papillon on
  • Options
    You can't win on your first turn.

• Options
    Second round is Open!

• Options
    huzzah!

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Edit: Nevermind.

Papillon on
  • Options
    So just to be clear, are there any new banned cards (ie Force) this round or still the same?

• Options
    We're giving the no bans a shot.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I missed the rule that everybody starts with their hand revealed. That definitely changes the power of Wheel of Torture.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    I like that the deck I just submitted is probably worse than my first one.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    ZeroCow wrote: »
    I like that the deck I just submitted is probably worse than my first one.

Yeah I'm metagaming maybe too much with my one :/. OTH maximum trolls if it works will be fun!

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I had a couple metagamey ideas but opted in favor of a well-rounded deck. There's another deck that I really want to try but can't while FoW is legal.

• Options
    Just decided to submit the deck I should've submitted last round. Hopefully the meta isn't too crazy now.

• Options
    Peccavi wrote: »
    I had a couple metagamey ideas but opted in favor of a well-rounded deck. There's another deck that I really want to try but can't while FoW is legal.

Now watch no-one actually play Force.

• Options
    i didn't play force

but if i did i would probably play misdirection or wonder with it

• Options
    I'm working out the matchups right now, & I just want to say that all of you are monsters who should be put to the torch.

I will close entries at noon tomorrow, by the way.

• Options
    AHAHAHAHAHA!

IT'S ME, I'M A MONSTER WHO SHOULD BE PUT TO THE TORCH!

• Options
    Lucedes wrote: »
    but if i did i would probably play misdirection or wonder with it

This Wonder? I don't see how that would help you since Force exiles the card, and Wonder needs an island to be active anyway. Or am I missing something?

• Options
    edited November 2014
    oh, nah, i missed that one totally. helps to read cards sometimes.

EDIT: i did figure out a really sweet Force deck, though.

Lucedes on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I'm going for a draw.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    I'm working out the matchups right now, & I just want to say that all of you are monsters who should be put to the torch.

Until this comment I was feeling good about my deck. But I can think of a number of ways my deck can lose, and now I'm imagining that everyone else is playing all of them.

It does win against any Force deck I can think of. Of course, before last round I couldn't think of any good Force decks, so...

• Options
    I've got all the match ups done, but I'm getting a friend to doublecheck them.

Preview: the thread title isn't changing.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

The solution is obvious - if counterspells are too strong, you should change the meta by banning spells ;).

• Options
    edited November 2014

But I didn't play FoW this time! Boooo.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif