As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed: Origins - out now!

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hahaha oh man the special armors in Rogue, guys
    I have no idea if they have any functional benefits, the text isn't clear
    You some some kind of weird ornate thing called the Native Armor for solving a certain number of totem puzzles scattered across the world and then it unlocks a vault underneath the Oneida village on one of the islands

But the best one is tracking down pieces of a Viking sword that, when assembled, point you to a secret grave containing a full set of Viking armor and a sword/dagger set

I'm just gonna roll through the rest of this game as a big ol' Norseman

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So the unity app.

I'm collecting all the animus fragments as I have a problem with regards to collecting stuff in these games but I don't understand how they link to the app.

Do they make the hunting for the sigils easier or what?

Also how do I get more Cafes?

Blake T on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    So the unity app.

I'm collecting all the animus fragments as I have a problem with regards to collecting stuff in these games but I don't understand how they link to the app.

Do they make the hunting for the sigils easier or what?

Also how do I get more Cafes?

They give you like 750 nomad points in the app. You use the points to buy better assassins to send on missions. Cafes you go to in Unity and buy them with money. Then they show up in the app and you can assign a low level assassin to it to collect more assassin points to spend on upgrades or better assassins.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    What is the Club Competition? I need that high end military coat with the breastplate. What do we have to do as a club for me to get that?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So I managed to play about an hour and a bit of Unity before bed last night.

I don't know if I'm missing something but so far, outside of that weird frame hitching when climbing horizontally along railings, this game does not seem anywhere near as bad as what folks have been saying.

I'm really digging the new control scheme and Arno seems pretty darn likeable.

Though I am a little disappointed that (Rogue/Unity spoilers)
    you don't see Shay stroll past in the background when young Arno and Elise are chatting at the start.

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

I don't know if I'm missing something but so far, outside of that weird frame hitching when climbing horizontally along railings, this game does not seem anywhere near as bad as what folks have been saying.

Groupthink is a powerful force.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the technical issues of assassin's creed unity are very real and exist beyond groupthink

PNk1Ml4.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    -Tal wrote: »
    the technical issues of assassin's creed unity are very real and exist beyond groupthink

Yes, I think there is too much talk of problems for there to not be problems, but I also think things are getting blown way out of proportion. I played for hours and hours today and didn't really have any problems. I play on PS4. I don't know how that version compares to XB1 or the PC versions, but my experience today was pretty damn smooth.

I just finished Sequence 5 and have started doing some of the side missions. They are a lot of fun.

DouglasDanger on
    oh come on arno you pronounce it leftenant

PNk1Ml4.png

Yeah. That was pretty silly.

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

Groupthink is a powerful force.

Funny how one only declares groupthink when it's an opinion one disagrees with, eh?

I like the controls. I like the new combat. I love Paris.

But Arno, and the rest of the story? The lack of any real modern day content? The microtransactions? The constant whoring of the Unity app?

That's not something I want to support.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    He's French!

edited November 2014
    okay I'm starting to get the hang of the new controls

I love rainy shitty areas in video games like the court of miracles

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
    So lemme tell you a story about how stupid Arno is. Mid to late game spoilers.
    He literally misses Napoleon pocketing an Apple of Eden. Like, less then a foot behind him. It's a glowing fucking gold ball, how bad is your peripheral vision?

Is it the hood?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah.

I mean I liked the black flag app. It was optional enough, but this one feels pretty required if you want to do stuff. I haven't played enough of the story to comment on the current day stuff. Although I will say I am not a huge fan of the new movement system. I like the climb down button. But I really dislike how Arno at times refuses to drop down at times and refuses to climb up some things that are obviously climbable (the last one has always been a problem but it seems worse than previous games)

It just feels like a half baked, designed by a committee type game.

I'm reminded of AC3 in a lot of ways. A lot of good ideas, just shit implementation.

I tell ya what, the black box missions are neat but the main missions outside of them have been consistently weak

PNk1Ml4.png
    okay I think I've pinned down why the new controls have been giving me trouble, apparently the stick is no longer contextualized based on camera direction and is instead now always relative to the direction arno is facing

I... don't think I like this change but now that I recognize it I can move properly

PNk1Ml4.png
    I wonder if I we could get Ubisoft to make a build of this that has no enemies or combat. Walking around Paris would be pretty cool to show students. Just add in some more historical text blurbs about the revolution and it could be a cool virtual field trip.

• The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Am I right in assuming the Unity Companion app is only for smart phones and tablets?

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Also Windows 8 PCs

the revolutionaries on the ground are very aggressive, it's difficult to stealth through them

this game seems to want you to rooftop a lot instead, since there's no guards up there

PNk1Ml4.png
    Okay well that's Rogue finished
    I was not expecting it to tie so directly into Unity

• The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Also Windows 8 PCs

Oh good. Nice.

unity sequence 5
    OH SHIT THIS SILVERSMITH HAS HETEROCHROMIA

PNk1Ml4.png
    Okay so I actually ended up finishing the game with one of the Uplay outfits
    Mask makes you permanently immune to effects of gas, cape with a big fuckoff Templar cross on it, and a fucking hand and a half sword

I love the outfits in these games maybe too much

God I can't wait to play with the ones in Unity

What in the world is this 900 meg update file I'm downloading

Patch 1 and 2 I believe.

Oh god the fake Jazz Age game on the select screen straight up has a dude in a double breasted suit with a hood

Oh man, Arno is a lot of fun
    Part of it I'm sure is that his voice actor is fucking on point

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    arno really seems like the most divisive protagonist so far

most people either really like him or really hate him

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Arno is fine and all

But why the eff isn't Elise the protagonist

Elise is fuckin' dope

unity sequence 5
    OH SHIT THIS SILVERSMITH HAS HETEROCHROMIA

See, this is a great example of why I hate being colorblind

I had to have the game spell that shit out for me because I didn't (couldn't) notice

edited November 2014
    The woman who talks to you at the beginning of Unity
    was that supposed to be Rebecca? she doesn't look much like her and she sounds totally different

Grey Ghost on
    I have no strong opinions on arno one way or another

unity has perhaps the weakest first act of any assassin's creed story, it seems like things are finally getting started in sequence 5

they've set up a lot of interesting threads but have not done much with them yet

PNk1Ml4.png
    I appreciate that one of the achievements is named "An Old Internet Meme"

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I appreciate that one of the achievements is named "An Old Internet Meme"

Your memes... end here.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I actually wouldn't mind seeing some DLC that focuses more on Arno - if we're going to have more game set during the Napoleonic period (vienna, madrid, cairo, etc.) I'd support seeing a development of his character

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.