As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Valkyria Chronicles] You Got Your RPG in my World War 2 - VC4 on PC Sept 25!

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    im just saying... sometimes when you start out and don't know the map, and you don't have a sniper in position or with LOS on the target, a tank round or a lancer shot might be the clutch move you need...

On the other hand, that requires taking a lancer along.

And, later on, you get multiple mortar rounds and rifle grenades, which define clutch.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    So I have a question, since the game hasn't really done a good job of explaining it; how exactly to "potentials" work? I notice for instance that Rosie has this "Big Sister" one that goes off all the time, but I have no idea why it triggers or what it actually does.

Most potentials have an effect, condition, and trigger rate. Some activate basically always, some don't (things like "act again").

Right, but how do I know what they are?

Like, I could see in the recruitment screen that my sniper has a pollen allergy that triggers when she's near plants and drains health, but I see nothing about Rosie's "Big Sister" ability.

As an aside, does the pollen allergy thing mean it would be possible for a soldier to die of hayfever in the middle of a battle? Because if so that's kind of hilarious.

Mr Ray on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    you should be able to scroll over potentials when reading a soldier's file. as for determining proc rates, that I don't remember, but interception fire, or like vyse where it triggers with more more enemies looking at him procs more often than something like 'act again'

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    you should be able to scroll over potentials when reading a soldier's file. as for determining proc rates, that I don't remember, but interception fire, or like vyse where it triggers with more more enemies looking at him procs more often than something like 'act again'

Alright, maybe I just missed it then because I looked it up and it triggers when she's near other shock troopers. Although its kind of vague about what it actually does; just says it "enhances her abilities".

I'm stuck on the bridge mission, but I think I know what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to play Valkyria Chronicles like its xcom, carefully advancing towards the enemy clearing everything as I go. But in this particular mission you're fucked if you take more than three turns, so I guess the order of the day is gogogogo gotta go fast, double-moving all my scouts and lancers and grabbing flags over and above everything else.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Alright, maybe I just missed it then because I looked it up and it triggers when she's near other shock troopers. Although its kind of vague about what it actually does; just says it "enhances her abilities".

I'm stuck on the bridge mission, but I think I know what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to play Valkyria Chronicles like its xcom, carefully advancing towards the enemy clearing everything as I go. But in this particular mission you're fucked if you take more than three turns, so I guess the order of the day is gogogogo gotta go fast, double-moving all my scouts and lancers and grabbing flags over and above everything else.

You know how in X-Com slow is smooth and smooth is fast?

Here, fast is fast, and slow is a D rank. The faster you adapt, the better you'll score. I mean, my X-Com strategy usually centered around assaults and running hell for leather, but I was still going at a snail's pace compared to what the game wants in Valkyria.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

"Enhances abilities" generally means an all-around buff to her stats. At the very least, you're looking at tighter spreads and more damage. Probably also taking less, evading more, etc. on the returned fire.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Yeah you need to break out of the overdefensive XCOM mindset. Fix bayonets and charge in for maximum destruction in minimal turns. It will involve a lot of reloading when you don't know the maps, but eventually you'll get a feel for the enemy's maximum sight/opportunity fire range and how to position soldiers on corners so they can shoot freely with the wall blocking all return fire. It's part of why Scouts are so powerful, they can run for days, blow guys out of cover and get all the flanking shots.

Also use that tank as mobile cover, you can hide three infantry behind it, and more on the sides.

(Though also coming from XCOM it's infuriating how you can sneak up behind a crouched guy, tap him on the back of the head with your muzzle and he still gets his full defense bonus from the damn sandbags.)

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
    The tank also has that wonderful supporting fire of DOOM.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Sometimes it's helpful not to deploy a full squad, take an enemy base or two with Scouts and tank, and then call up your slower troops as reinforcements closer to where they are needed.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'm really starting to get annoyed by my hit percentage. In that it's SHIT. COMPLETE AND UTTER SHIT.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I get that it's better to go nuts and charge blindly into a group of 8 enemies since you really only have to capture the camp to win, but sometimes I just like to take it slow and methodically obliterate my enemies.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I mean, you can still kill like 24 dudes in a 3 turn game.

I ate an engineer
    Oh one more thing, are dudes I run over with the tank actually taking damage? Because I thought they were, but I'm starting to think they're just knocked to the side with no damage.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Sadly, bumping dudes with the tank doesn't actually hurt them.

In an amusing twist, this can get someone off of a mine they've stepped on without blowing them up, while still detonating the mine.

TACTICAL MANEUVER

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    sadly, its not 40k where you grind them into paste... but running over enemies that are prone in the grass, or kneeling means you don't have to waste a command point or grenade to get them to stand up and take full damage from a follow up attack. bonus points if you catch two people with it.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    sadly, its not 40k where you grind them into paste... but running over enemies that are prone in the grass, or kneeling means you don't have to waste a command point or grenade to get them to stand up and take full damage from a follow up attack. bonus points if you catch two people with it.

Also knocking enemies around can change their overwatch angle, allowing a better ambush.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    One thing I wish the game had when it came to running people over with tanks...If you knock someone off a cliff with the tank, they will wizard themselves back into position. It's very sad.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Abusing mines and tank knockbacks (in levels you have to move the tank, obviously) is actually really hilariously effective for mobility purposes. For instance, knocking somebody off a bridge with the tank will keep spawning them in front of you, giving you half a move or so of bonus forward motion.

Even better, though, is the desert Skirmish (and others). If you use basically all of your command points on a scout, run them straight at the objective, *and* get them to hit one mine that knocks them generally forward, you can clear the map in one turn when an A rank is three turns; getting an eagle is pretty fun given how strict they usually are.

I ate an engineer
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I always run over mines with lancers. It clears them out, it does negligible damage to them, and they get a few extra feet of distance from the throw. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Turns out the Batomys is really good at pushing lancers who just happen to find themselves standing in front of it. Sure as hell faster than footing it.

Edit: OH YEAH BABY
    5ptE1Gs.jpg

Suriko on
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    As great as Vyse is for completing the final mission in one round, Lynn's Hard Worker is just way more clutch. How do you guys feel about using the Ruhm for the Expert Skirmishes? I figure if I don't then I never will, and not having access to Awaken Potential means it's not as broken as it could be.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Also knocking enemies around can change their overwatch angle, allowing a better ambush.

Also also, you can push dudes into the line of fire where their allies obliterate them with reaction fire while shooting ineffectually at the tank. Works best with enemy tanks and pillboxes.

• IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    One major strat for the desert duel with max Batomys
    The edelweiss is immune to selvies attack.
    A fun tactic is to wedge her in and block her shots so your troop don't die when running in absolute terror .

edited November 2014
    So, the second Naggiar plains mission
    I should have known something was up when I was able to capture the base on the first turn :/

Alicia disappeared before destroying the cannon bunker on the west side, but before I discovered there was no ragnite generator behind it to blow up :/

I hate, hate, hate infinitely respawning soldiers in every game. Also the north tank keeping a permanent firebomb inferno raging over the camp was super annoying. :/

I was able to rush the Shamrock over behind the south tank in two turns, then spent several more trying to save it from the waves of enemies spawning on top of it. Ran an engineer down to fix it when its treads got blown off. The engineer got downed the next turn. Ran a scout to recover the engineer. The scout got downed the next turn. Rosie recovered the scout, then took a position behind one of the sandbag walls and somehow managed to hold off three consecutive waves of respawns all by herself thanks to redonkulous reaction fire, before finally going down when a lancer blew up her cover. Finally sent another scout to recover her, then blew all the rest of my moves driving the Edelweiss on a suicide charge behind the north tank and smoked the radiator with my last CP.

No one gets left behind.

DivideByZero on
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    So, the second Naggiar plains mission
    I should have known something was up when I was able to capture the base on the first turn :/

Alicia disappeared before destroying the cannon bunker on the west side, but before I discovered there was no ragnite generator behind it to blow up :/

I hate, hate, hate infinitely respawning soldiers in every game. Also the north tank keeping a permanent firebomb inferno raging over the camp was super annoying. :/

I was able to rush the Shamrock over behind the south tank in two turns, then spent several more trying to save it from the waves of enemies spawning on top of it. Ran an engineer down to fix it when its treads got blown off. The engineer got downed the next turn. Ran a scout to recover the engineer. The scout got downed the next turn. Rosie recovered the scout, then took a position behind one of the sandbag walls and somehow managed to hold off three consecutive waves of respawns all by herself thanks to redonkulous reaction fire, before finally going down when a lancer blew up her cover. Finally sent another scout to recover her, then blew all the rest of my moves driving the Edelweiss on a suicide charge behind the north tank and smoked the radiator with my last CP.

No one gets left behind.

IIRC, tagging downed foes has some effect on the enemy respawn.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that second Naggiar mission was brutal.
    Didn't know that about the bunkers. So it's like they were just specially made for Alicia to blow up, rather than just normal bunkers? Interesting.

Anyway, that mission got messy fast on my first playthrough. Barely squeaked by without any deaths, largely because of a clutch holding action by Juno and Alex. Stuffed them in a trench and they held off like a dozen guys while everyone else dealt with one of the tanks. Since I keep getting thrashed on plot missions, I imagine that's going to be hell when I get there again (no deaths so far, but I'm trying to clear missions without abusing saves and the rust is showing, to put it mildly).

On the plus side, an accident with Karl that was totally not me marching him towards the enemy has allowed me to recruit Lynn. Hard Worker + Full HP Recovery = oh gosh I guess I fired and my turn's over YEAH NOW WHAT SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    This game... is like the anti-XCom. I don't know why I keep comparing it to XCom, I guess it just feels familiar somehow, but so many of the mechanics are completely backwards.

In X-Com, getting knocked down in combat is generally permadeath, and even injuries can be serious business. In Valkyria Chronicles you're fine so long as an ally can give you a tap on the shoulder within a few turns. You can even come back in time to join the same battle after you've been given the magic light bulb off-screen!

In X-Com a pyrrhic victory can be as bad as a loss, and the loss of a few good soldiers is serious business. In Valkyria Chronicles it doesn't matter if the rest of your squad is unconscious and bleeding out on the ground so long as somebody's able to drag themselves to the flag.

In X-Com if you don't take it slow and steady you'll lose soldiers and get a bad score. In Valkyria Chronicles if you don't go as fast as you possibly can you're going to get a bad score.

That said, I have a feeling that going for an A-rank in everything is going to be something for a NG+ run, I don't see how its even possible to beat some of these missions "under par" with the soldiers and weapons I've got now. Like, maybe if I had Lancers that could run further, or snipers that hit everything on their first try I could do that bridge mission in two turns, but I don't see how that's possible otherwise.

Speaking of snipers, I got to the Desert mission last night and the game really seems to want me to put a sniper up on that hill to the right, but they just can't hit consistently enough at the range they're at for it to be worth my time doing that. Like, it'll take either a remarkably flukey headshot or more likely three or four normal shots to kill most things. That's three or four moves to take down one bad-guy when I could just double-move a scout and shoot someone in the back of the head in two moves instead. I didn't lose the mission, just didn't have time to finish it last night, but I can't imagine plinking away with snipers is going to give me a particularly good grade at the end.

So, to those who have cleared Naggiar Plains then...
    Have fun with the immortal scout of annihilating every fucking thing, because enemies will intercept fire her to half, then she turns invincible because her defense is now through the fucking roof against interception fire, all her stats go up, she fully heals after killing her target, and then when she runs out of AP? Nope, complete refill, and she waltzes back through twenty shocktroopers and they deal a piddly 3 damage combined before she's back in cover.

Best scout in the game, period. Resist Crossfire, Double Movement, and Mysterious Body already let her basically go wherever she wants with impunity. Even without her spoiler fourth ability she would be the best scout. Oh, and she has Undodgeable Shot, for good measure.

I may have been struggling to resist posting this for some time.

edited November 2014
    Snipers are terrible until you level them to 8-9 and buy a bunch of rifle upgrades. After that it's just bang, bang, bang, three headshots then retreat them at the flag so they can go back to base and have a smoke.

edit: seriously I deployed Oscar on the east Vasel mission, and forgot to have him climb down from the tower after missing three shots in a row. He got shot to death by a tank. I just left him up there to bleed out and don't regret it at all.

DivideByZero on
    Speaking of snipers, I got to the Desert mission last night and the game really seems to want me to put a sniper up on that hill to the right, but they just can't hit consistently enough at the range they're at for it to be worth my time doing that. Like, it'll take either a remarkably flukey headshot or more likely three or four normal shots to kill most things. That's three or four moves to take down one bad-guy when I could just double-move a scout and shoot someone in the back of the head in two moves instead. I didn't lose the mission, just didn't have time to finish it last night, but I can't imagine plinking away with snipers is going to give me a particularly good grade at the end.

After misinterpreting the pre-mission map, I put two scouts on there. They ended up doing nothing all mission, as Marina and Catherine legged it.

The strategy actually largely worked. Using the tank to do most of the killing and a stromtrooper or two hovering around it, I ended up using Marina to capture the middle camp, putting her and Catherine side by side on the top of the hut behind the sandbags. Compared to the ridge near the starting point, the hut in the middle of the map provided a great vantage point for them to plink away with pretty good accuracy.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Hrm, I guess it's not possible to A rank Assault on Ghirlandaio and still take out Damon's tank. Hard to believe these puny Imps become some of the enemy Aces that trouble you during the campaign!

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    edited November 2014
    This game... is like the anti-XCom. I don't know why I keep comparing it to XCom, I guess it just feels familiar somehow, but so many of the mechanics are completely backwards.

In X-Com, getting knocked down in combat is generally permadeath, and even injuries can be serious business. In Valkyria Chronicles you're fine so long as an ally can give you a tap on the shoulder within a few turns. You can even come back in time to join the same battle after you've been given the magic light bulb off-screen!

In X-Com a pyrrhic victory can be as bad as a loss, and the loss of a few good soldiers is serious business. In Valkyria Chronicles it doesn't matter if the rest of your squad is unconscious and bleeding out on the ground so long as somebody's able to drag themselves to the flag.

In X-Com if you don't take it slow and steady you'll lose soldiers and get a bad score. In Valkyria Chronicles if you don't go as fast as you possibly can you're going to get a bad score.

That said, I have a feeling that going for an A-rank in everything is going to be something for a NG+ run, I don't see how its even possible to beat some of these missions "under par" with the soldiers and weapons I've got now. Like, maybe if I had Lancers that could run further, or snipers that hit everything on their first try I could do that bridge mission in two turns, but I don't see how that's possible otherwise.

I'm pretty sure I A ranked the bridge the first time after realizing which tanks can shoot and that you're supposed to kill the tank near the end on moves 1 and 2 of T1. Send a lancer and a scout or shock forward, shoot explpsives, kill tank, kill soldier, scout clears the first base. T2 deploy a shock and maybe a lancer (can't recall) to the base, clear with them, 3 move with scout then grenade, cap. Easy T2 win with roughly 12 kills.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Man I really wish it gave you some missions that were just kill all enemies so you actually had a reason to use half your crew.

The desert mission with max's tank is one of the most tedious missions in the whole game. Firstly you have a set lower bound on how quickly you can complete it, you have to wait for the enemy to do something. Secondly when the reinforcements arrive you pretty much just sit there for 7 minutes while the enemy does its turn murdering your team. It always seems to have full CP and just sends Selveria around murdering my team.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    edited November 2014
    Man I really wish it gave you some missions that were just kill all enemies so you actually had a reason to use half your crew.

The desert mission with max's tank is one of the most tedious missions in the whole game. Firstly you have a set lower bound on how quickly you can complete it, you have to wait for the enemy to do something. Secondly when the reinforcements arrive you pretty much just sit there for 7 minutes while the enemy does its turn murdering your team. It always seems to have full CP and just sends Selveria around murdering my team.

This is solved by having Marina and Alicia placed in the southern trench and, once the existing enemy troops are mown down, flicking them around the far south of the map to the ruins closest to the main bottom-right camp. When Selvaria and her troops finally spawn in, you can use that same turn to use the both of them to pick off literally all but one of her troops. From there, it's a simple matter of parking the Edelweiss so it forms a right-angle with the Batomys's side, effectively forming a shield against Selvaria as your engineer takes out the last radiator and lancers+Edelweiss cannon finish off the tank itself.

Edit: Related, a UI-less cap from the very end that mission:
    2GziGwH.jpg
    I like to think Largo's insulting Selvaria over the tank.

Suriko on
    First time I played that mission, the tank just would not fire its damn gun and open the radiators. I think I was 12-13 turns in, goading it into shooting at my tank by parking well within cannon range, and it just wouldn't. My whole crew, including 4 lancers, were camped out on either side. It finally reached the last camp after my delaying tactic of "park Edelweiss in front of it and repair the collision damage" failed to make it ever fire its damn gun. It finally shot... radiators opened up, I destroyed one, and they all closed again during the cutscene when Selvaria appears. Next turn, the radiators opened again and the lancers took them down, then dumped all their rounds into the main body and finished it off with tank rounds from my last two CP. The reinforcements never got a chance to move.

Fuck that mission hard.

Once I was down to the last radiator and had Wavy throw in a grenade.

The grenade exploded.

The radiator glitched out and didn't.

I was displeased.

First time I played that mission, the tank just would not fire its damn gun and open the radiators. I think I was 12-13 turns in, goading it into shooting at my tank by parking well within cannon range, and it just wouldn't. My whole crew, including 4 lancers, were camped out on either side. It finally reached the last camp after my delaying tactic of "park Edelweiss in front of it and repair the collision damage" failed to make it ever fire its damn gun. It finally shot... radiators opened up, I destroyed one, and they all closed again during the cutscene when Selvaria appears. Next turn, the radiators opened again and the lancers took them down, then dumped all their rounds into the main body and finished it off with tank rounds from my last two CP. The reinforcements never got a chance to move.

Fuck that mission hard.

Were you shooting the walls down?

I ate an engineer
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

The grenade exploded.

I was displeased.
    You can use grenades? I tried that and they did no damage.
    Repeatedly.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

The grenade exploded.

I was displeased.
    You can use grenades? I tried that and they did no damage.
    Repeatedly.

If you can get a grenade in the hole on the top, it's an guaranteed kill.
    That mission's easily the biggest swing in difficulty between playing it blind and knowing all the quirks.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I stopped playing this on PS3 when I had to sneak past that damn sniper.

but i can't decide if the story is too much anime for me to buy it again. I know I loved the combat aspects but the story...

steam_sig.png