As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL]PLAYOFFS! PLAYOFFS?

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Well, shit. Hope AP gets reinstated soon. I also need Philip Rivers to pull his head out of his ass.

Yes to hell with justice what about your pretend football?!

listen

I need those fake points for my fake team

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    They cannot stop Jonas Gray

Because they were getting blown off of the line of scrimmage. Jonas gets credit for patience, making a couple good cuts, and being too big for the Colts secondary to take down but the bulk of the credit goes to the Pats o-line. Gronk deserves every dollar of every fine he'll receive and more for his dirty play all game but he was blocking out of his mind.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Well, shit. Hope AP gets reinstated soon. I also need Philip Rivers to pull his head out of his ass.

I hope AP has to resort to being a migrant farmer and is constantly fucked over on pay so he barely manages to survive for a long miserable life.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    AP probably should be reinstated.

That being said, I hope Minnesota decides not to play him anyway.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Personally I hope AP receives proper justice for the crime he committed and is given a punishment that is appropriate to his crime and his demeanor with respect to said crime.

But hey that's just me.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I think the idea that someone should not be able to return to their regular life after whatever the justice system has decided they did or did not do and have served whatever sentence given, if any, is extremely dangerous.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    He wasn't punished at all. Which is why a lot of people are angry.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

I hope AP has to resort to being a migrant farmer and is constantly fucked over on pay so he barely manages to survive for a long miserable life.

I hope things play out bit differently. AP was raised on the kind of discipline he was using and although the act to us was horrifying, I'll wager in his mind it was at worst excessive. If he were to learn that this form of discipline is not only abusive but also ineffective some positive things could come out of this.

I'm appalled by his actions too but unfortunately a lot of people aren't and a lot of people still discipline their children that way. Just last week I overheard a contractor in my office break room talking about taking a belt to his son because of something he did in school. As much as I'd like to write the guy off as a redneck asshole the fact is he believes he has to do shit like that because that's how his parents treated him.

Child abuse is cyclical and just booting AP out of the league isn't going to break the cycle.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    I worked for child protection. I know a lot about the cycle and how abusers view the situation. I won't go into my personal experience beyond saying I have spent a lot of time trying to solve the cyclical issue. It is possible he reforms, and if he does my feelings will change. Until then I stand by my statement. Justice in these situations is never served, because it can never be served. Being made whole is impossible.

I worked for child protection. I know a lot about the cycle and how abusers view the situation. I won't go into my personal experience beyond saying I have spent a lot of time trying to solve the cyclical issue. It is possible he reforms, and if he does my feelings will change. Until then I stand by my statement. Justice in these situations is never served, because it can never be served. Being made whole is impossible.

:?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    See, I want to say that I'm surprised AP hasn't done the "donate to charity to make it seem better" thing

But then I remember his prior "charitable contributions" paid for an orgy

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll

I don't know exactly what this means, but I will apologize if you take offense. I will gladly elaborate on my feelings in PMs. I want to say unequivocally I am not trying to say anything bad about the survivors.

I don't know exactly what this means, but I will apologize if you take offense. I will gladly elaborate on my feelings in PMs. I want to say unequivocally I am not trying to say anything bad about the survivors.

It means you said two things that are diametrically opposed

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The Vikings are going to have to reinstate him because the NFLPA is going to make them

I doubt they will actually make him play

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

they aren't?

It is possible that Peterson reforms, but it is impossible for his kid to unforget being beat by his father.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular

"Being made whole" is referring to the victims. Even if AP reforms, his victims will bear the scars of his abuse forever.

Peccavi wrote: »

"Being made whole" is referring to the victims. Even if AP reforms, his victims will bear the scars of his abuse forever.

Oh I misunderstood then

Oh I missed one of the bolds. You are flat wrong. AP reforming is good, but does nothing to undo the damage. It does nothing to change the pain inflicted, and the problems that can and often do last a lifetime. The kids is irrevecobaly altered and nothing can ever fix that. It's all damage control.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I bet the colts post season looks the exact same as it does last year. scoring lots of points is a great way to get to the post season, but not win a super bowl.

Jars on
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

Every time one of these come up I have no good stories to share.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I don't have the time to whittle down a lifetime of awkward shit to find the best 30 seconds.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    the thing about adrian peterson is that he took a plea deal, which is completely ok in the eyes of the law but doesn't necessarily feel like justice, and is certainly in part due to him having access to the best lawyers and the financial ability to turn things his way. I don't think the Vikings will drop him unless there is a large enough public outcry, but I don't think they or the NFL would be out of bounds for saying "you might have done X to get out of jail time, but we still don't want you playing for us."

I realize the narrative is that he received whippings like this as a child, but that cycle doesn't make it ok, and I am not sure finding a legal loophole like he did means it should just be ok to slot him back in.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    the thing about adrian peterson is that he took a plea deal, which is completely ok in the eyes of the law but doesn't necessarily feel like justice, and is certainly in part due to him having access to the best lawyers and the financial ability to turn things his way. I don't think the Vikings will drop him unless there is a large enough public outcry, but I don't think they or the NFL would be out of bounds for saying "you might have done X to get out of jail time, but we still don't want you playing for us."

I realize the narrative is that he received whippings like this as a child, but that cycle doesn't make it ok, and I am not sure finding a legal loophole like he did means it should just be ok to slot him back in.

I don't agree with the idea that plea deals only happen for the people who can afford great lawyers. Lawyers/courts will work out plea arrangements to expedite a particular case rather than have a long and drawn out trial for various reasons. Its just the ones you hear about in the news refer to famous people because that's what people are interested in hearing about.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    yeah that's the opposite that happens. plea bargains are used primarily to clear up lower courts and affect poor people a lot more than the rich.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    If you don't like the justice system that's fine, but people are still allowed to use it as it is.

The NFL has a CBA they can maneuver with, and as long as they do so within that, that's fine too.

Even though it probably feels good to say, `fuck it' and call to throw everything out the window and ban AP, that's not a thing that should happen.

I think a guy that lacerated a four year old's testicles can be told by an employer to fuck off

And that coming at it as simply excessive child punishment is completely insane

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Alright, Dwayne Gratz was arrested Sunday morning after trying to pay for items with bubble gum because he was out of cash.

He was also really drunk and belligerent but I like to think he was arrested for the gum.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Alright, Dwayne Gratz was arrested Sunday morning after trying to pay for items with bubble gum because he was out of cash.

He was also really drunk and belligerent but I like to think he was arrested for the gum.

"Hey, I know I'm not on the list, but I think my friends Hubba Bubba and Bazooka Joe can vouch for me..."

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    So I have tickets to the Seahawks/Cardinals game next Sunday. And while I'm optimistic about Seattle's chances (they've only lost 2 home games in the last three years), I'm looking at how dominate the 9-1 Cardinals have been, and how shitty the Seahawks O Line has been the last few weeks(thanks, injuries!), and I'm honestly not convinced they'll win next week.

Goodness gracious, I hope I'm wrong though.

6rceun58332p.png
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    Just reading this whole page and screaming thanks guys

thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
    ???

Just Christ, no wonder we have piles of ex cons who live on the street and can't get work because absolutely everyone thinks once you fuck up you should be shunned from society forever. There's not even an impetus to reform yourself because you're just fucked forever.

And that is just FOR STARTERS

thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    And I don't super wanna get in a debate on these boards because it's incredibly pointless and everyone will read my posts and think I'm soooo angry and I love beating children or I'm just being a homer but goddamn I just think people should be able to change and fix their lives and not have them ruined because you're mad at them.

thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    Jordyn wrote: »
    And I don't super wanna get in a debate on these boards because it's incredibly pointless and everyone will read my posts and think I'm soooo angry and I love beating children or I'm just being a homer but goddamn I just think people should be able to change and fix their lives and not have them ruined because you're mad at them.

For the most part I would agree with you. I happen to be closer to this issue than many others. Losing a high paying career over certain acts won't make me sad. Michael Vick being forced to find a regular 9-5? Nope, wouldn't bother me in the least. 2 players have pissed me off enough to just say fuck em, and the other one is a serial offender if it makes you feel better. I will drop this though since I am dragging it out far more than it should be.
    QuickSnap wrote: »
    So I have tickets to the Seahawks/Cardinals game next Sunday. And while I'm optimistic about Seattle's chances (they've only lost 2 home games in the last three years), I'm looking at how dominate the 9-1 Cardinals have been, and how shitty the Seahawks O Line has been the last few weeks(thanks, injuries!), and I'm honestly not convinced they'll win next week.

Goodness gracious, I hope I'm wrong though.

Let me tell you how great it is to have an amazing home record...

Jordyn wrote: »
    Just Christ, no wonder we have piles of ex cons who live on the street and can't get work because absolutely everyone thinks once you fuck up you should be shunned from society forever. There's not even an impetus to reform yourself because you're just fucked forever.

And that is just FOR STARTERS

I mean lol, this in no way applies to Adrian Peterson, a literal millionaire, who could find other work than being a rich football player.

No one on this page has said that people should be shunned forever or put on the streets. No one.

I have said that the Vikings should not take him back. And I think that especially when the beating of two children resulted in zero jail time.

I think Michael Vick is a perfect example of someone that I'm perfectly fine with being in the nfl and who genuinely seems to have regretted his actions, paid his debt, and come back. That's fine. Until I am proven otherwise, I'm not going to say oh well he should be out.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    @Jordyn why do you love beating children so much?

Yeah I'm about to walk into a movie but someone said he should be forced to be a migrant farm worker so yeah.

I GUESS I JUST LIKE FORGIVENESS

thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    Like yes, I think you're being a homer about this and the thing you're being a homer about is child abuse. It is in no way a situation where an ex con is being shunned. The dude is a millionaire who beats children, and he can change and be better but taking a two month break and pleading out and going back to making millions of dollars is not my idea of justice.

Like if Ray rice were to say oh I'm sorry for slugging my now wife and knocking her the fuck out, would you go oh cool here is your millions of dollars? I don't think your would.

And instead of an adult woman the targets of this abuse were children.

This discussion has been closed.