As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Doctor Who] Not an ending, but a mending

ButlerButler 89 episodes or bustRegistered User regular
edited December 2023 in Social Entropy++
Welcome to the new Doctor Who thread! A vast improvement over the feckless charm of the old one, don't you agree?

colin-baker-sixth-6th-tardis-umbrella.jpg

Doctor Who is the longest running science fiction show of all time, and celebrated its 50th anniversary in November of last year. I will leave the explanation of the show's premise to the superior hive mind known as Wikipedia:
Wikipedia wrote:
The programme depicts the adventures of a Time Lord—a time travelling, humanoid alien known as the Doctor. He explores the universe in his 'TARDIS', a sentient time-travelling space ship. Its exterior appears as a blue British police box, a common sight in Britain in 1963, when the series first aired. Along with a succession of companions, the Doctor faces a variety of foes while working to save civilisations, help ordinary people, and right wrongs.

We covered a lot of ground in the last thread: The return of nine missing episodes, Matt Smith's departure, the 50th Anniversary, the casting of Peter Capaldi and the entirety of season 8 culminating in - alright I'll spoiler it but you really should have caught up by now, shame on you -
The surprise return of The Master as a woman, a.k.a. The Mistress or Missy, played by Michelle Gomez.

So what does the future hold for Doctor Who fans?

- While Season 9 may be a long way off, Doctor Who isn't quite finished for the year just yet. There will be a Christmas Special this, well Christmas, starring Nick Frost as "Santa" and also something that looks like a sort of gummier version of the Xenomorph from Alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waSvCQSNruE

- Rumours persist about Jenna Coleman's (who plays the Doctor's current companion Clara) possible departure from the show at the end of this year, but when questioned Jenna has consistently played coy, something she could almost have been genetically engineered for.

- In missing episode news, a Bleeding Cool source has painted a very grim picture of snowballing lies and broken promises behind the scenes of Phil Morris' negotiations with the Beeb. Still, if this is true then we will at least get Marco Polo back at some point.

- Lastly, the BBC has tweeted that we'll get a sneak peek at a clip from the Christmas Special for this year's Children In Need appeal. It will broadcast tomorrow night, London time, and should be up on YouTube pretty soon after.

Butler on

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    You've redecorated!

...I don't like it.

[IMG][/img]
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Ugh, banter.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Oh shit.

We've got two Sixies in here now.

I guess two of me wouldn't irretrievably damage my ego.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    @Butler you made a small mistake
    Its Michelle Gomez, not Rodriguez

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Rodriguez would be awesome though

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    So with Nick Frost as Santa, who is Simon Pegg going to be playing?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Simon Pegg was already in the show during the Ninth Doctor's tenure.

Granted, Doctor Who isn't above recasting actors in different roles.

I am convinced that at any given time there are about fifty working Uk actors, and they just cycle in and out of all uk shows.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I love Nick Frost.

Not that I missed her, but where was River Song this series?

Liiya on
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I am convinced that at any given time there are about fifty working Uk actors, and they just cycle in and out of all uk shows.

It probably looks like that because the rest of them are in US tv shows and movies. There aren't many US shows without at least one Brit

PSN- AHermano
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Liiya wrote: »
    I love Nick Frost.

Chilling in the Matrix. She could always pop back out, but her timeline is done as far as her interacting with the doctor as far as we know. I think.

Xeddicus on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    I love Nick Frost.

Chilling in the Matrix. She could always pop back out, but her timeline is done as far as her interactive with the doctor as far as we know. I think.

ahh okay - thanks!

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Finale spoilers
    Killing Osgood just feels really fucking mean-spirited, from a writing standpoint

Edit
    AND KATE
    Fuck you, Stephen

Grey Ghost on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Yeah I hadn't finished it yet
    Still though my first complaint stands

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    We always have the Zygons Grey Ghost

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Finale spoilers
    Killing Osgood just feels really fucking mean-spirited, from a writing standpoint

Edit
    AND KATE
    Fuck you, Stephen
    whatshername has been pretty coy about being on the show next season.

Finale spoilers

Edit
    AND KATE
    Fuck you, Stephen

Right but I'm talking about
    Osgood, Kate's assistant
    I think she's a fun character and there wasn't any purpose served by having the Master disintegrate her

edited November 2014
    Finale spoilers

Edit
    AND KATE
    Fuck you, Stephen

Osgood, Kate's assistant
    I think she's a fun character and there wasn't any purpose served by having the Master disintegrate her

I just watched the finale today and yeah that really sucked especially after
    the Doctor hinted at letting her on the TARDIS

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
    edited November 2014
    I disliked pretty much the whole thing actually, they wasted Michelle Gomez, killed characters off for no good reason, used a villain that just isn't threatening or interesting anymore, really weak script where everything falls apart when you think about it blegh

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Hermano wrote: »
    Finale spoilers

Edit
    AND KATE
    Fuck you, Stephen

Osgood, Kate's assistant

See for me that moment just made me think
    "Well, she's not gonna survive to the end of the episode."

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Hermano wrote: »
    Finale spoilers

Edit
    AND KATE
    Fuck you, Stephen

Osgood, Kate's assistant

See for me that moment just made me think
    "Well, she's not gonna survive to the end of the episode."

Ah well I thought "that's a nice moment for a minor character that's shown up a few times and is pretty cool"

But no

PSN- AHermano
    Finale spoilers

Edit
    AND KATE
    Fuck you, Stephen

Osgood, Kate's assistant
    Moffat did have a purpose in mind with Osgood's death.
    One thing I was very determined about was that the Master/Missy would have to kill somebody we liked in the most cruel, heartless and terrible way to absolutely say that this person is shockingly evil. Osgood was the one we flung on the fire to make the Master burn brighter.

I don't think it was a particularly good reason, though.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, killing characters just for shock value/to raise the villain's profile, has lost its impact and has to be done incredibly well to be worth it at this point. At one time (say when Whedon was first getting stuff on TV), it was a lot more effective (that one moment in Buffy Season 2, for instance), but these days, it's all but expected, which means it's got no impact and is just disappointing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

That said, the "person dies for no good reason other than to prove that you can't count on plot armor can be effective. I remember The Sarah Connor Chronicles had a really good one of those toward the end.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Bunch of interesting little pieces at Doctor Who TV the past week. Apparently, there's no contractual obligation to use the Daleks.

Capaldi would like the roundels back (and also a more Bauhaus console room, which would be super cool).

And a Rani fake-out was filmed for the Missy reveal.

Cyvros wrote: »
    Finale spoilers

Edit
    AND KATE
    Fuck you, Stephen

Osgood, Kate's assistant
    Moffat did have a purpose in mind with Osgood's death.
    One thing I was very determined about was that the Master/Missy would have to kill somebody we liked in the most cruel, heartless and terrible way to absolutely say that this person is shockingly evil. Osgood was the one we flung on the fire to make the Master burn brighter.

I don't think it was a particularly good reason, though.

Well that's bullshit, Moffat
    I anyway know she's evil! SHE'S THE MASTER
    You don't need to fucking sell me on the Master being a bad person

The best part was where
    the Master basically got turned into a simpering woman doing everything for her man-friend oh please Doctor won't you come love me again look at what I got for you it's ALL FOR YOU DAMIEN

That's not really a new with this iteration and doesn't really have anything to do with the Master's gender. That aspect of the character was pretty apparent in Sims' Master too, and I could see that exact same entire scene playing out between Sims and Tennant.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

sims and tennant basically did do that

I honestly do not remember their scenes playing out anything like this

Sims put him in a cage and made him old and gross and gloated a lot?

Did the Master ever literally bow down to the Doctor and essentially grovel at his feet like this before, seriously

I mean, the kiss was pretty hilarious so whatever, but this all felt so much more weird in terms of their dynamic

We can talk about how this wouldn't provoke the same discussion if the character were still male, but really, he's not so it does make a difference

Contrasting it with Clara doing what I thought was a really great Doctor impersonation/interpretation makes me even sadder for some reason

in the first session with Sims, the resolution is tennant basically deciding to take him on the tardis and take him adventuring, to which sims is basically like yes yes this is what i want (and tennant is begrudging but still kind of happy to have him)

but then he gets shot

and the second arc is basically completely them teaming up to a certain extent and the revelation that his madness was induced and that he might have been a pretty alright guy, had he not been made crazy, and the doctor feels bad for him and they are like frenemies. And sims eventually saves the day by tackling the head time lord back into the portal.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    so somebody made a Lego version of Matt Smith's regeneration scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FWP23X7JE4

You know, the dynamic is very Harley Quinn in a way, isn't it

Or like a cat that brings you a dead mouse and doesn't understand why this is gross and then scratches you if you try to pet it

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I liked that the Mummy on Space Orient Express was a Smith throwback episode(phone call he got on the Tardis), but otherwise I rather didn't enjoy the new season as the new Doctor is a bit of a goose.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Happy 51st Birthday Doctor Who! No news at the moment, except this revelation that in an alternate universe, the Eighth Doctor could have been our Twelfth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1szXb6e2g&list=UUcOkA2Xmk1valTOWSyKyp4g

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Finale spoilers

Edit
    AND KATE
    Fuck you, Stephen

Osgood, Kate's assistant
    It's the kind of death, along with others in the episode, that mae me feel like the Doctor was going to have to find some way to undo everything. Like what he was saying to Clara about Danny's death, that he can't undo that because it would break time, yet he would have to find a way to do so because of all the unnecessary death. Then nope, unless Father Christmas has some way to resolve it.

Also I really, really hope that Missy/Michelle Gomez isn't done with the series, because I can watch her for days and not get bored. I think it's a shame there's people complaining about her behaviour in the role, because by and large I think that's mostly come from her. No idea how much character the writers gave her to work with, but I'd wager that a fair bit was given over to her to contribute or ad-lib.

edit: and guys, it's John Simm. He's not an EA product.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png