As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Justice League Heroes: Dammit, no Kyle Rayner

14567810»

• Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    Batman villians are too pussy to face the entire Justice League, goddammit.

I mean, even when they could still use them on the show, they always used them as part of a team, because seriously what is Two-Face gonna do to Superman? Or any of them?

Poison Ivy deserves some credit, at least.

And the lot is quite good at the whole death trap thing.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Jordyn wrote:

I mean, even when they could still use them on the show, they always used them as part of a team, because seriously what is Two-Face gonna do to Superman? Or any of them?

Apart from the Joker. I fucking loved the episode where he masterminded the Royal Flush gang thing in Vegas.

Joker is made of win and awesome.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    Dex Dynamo wrote:
    The Riddler could confuse them

And catwoman could make them feel dirty... and like it

catwoman is a hero

maybe riddler, too

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    IGN has their review up as well. Just finished reading it.
    They actually have some valid points that could make this game a bit of a letdown. Fixed characters for certain missions? Yech..

I'll check it out myself first, but the lack of variety in gameplay and the other issues they mention don't bode well. :(
    Is there some sort of curse concerning DC based games I'm not aware of? Can anyone actually mention a decent DC game that came out this generation?

Oh well, hopefully Ultimate Alliance will turn out to be good at least.

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Gamepro has a review up now too. The guy who wroted just seems to have kind of let his excitement for a mechanically-sound DC game dribble all over his work.
    http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps2/games/reviews/84031.shtml

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PhoneBone wrote:
    Can anyone actually mention a decent DC game that came out this generation?

This gen? No. The last good DC game was The New Adventures of Batman and Robin sidescroller for SNES / Genesis.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    I've heard good things about that Batman: Rise of Sin-Tzu game that came out, though I never played it myself.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    The Superman Returns game seems to be shaping up to be pretty decent, though I have a feeling that, like Spider-Man, it will take a sequel to be fully realized.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    hughtron wrote:
    I've heard good things about that Batman: Rise of Sin-Tzu game that came out, though I never played it myself.
    Meh. It could have been a solid beat-em-up except that the timing for moves and combos was wierd as fuck.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    PhoneBone wrote:
    Can anyone actually mention a decent DC game that came out this generation?

This gen? No. The last good DC game was The New Adventures of Batman and Robin sidescroller for SNES / Genesis.
    Yeah I remember that one. A friend of mine owned it.
    That was a pretty good game...
    Oh, how I crave a great 2D sidescroller based on JLU.

By the way, has anyone played the Teen Titans game (based on the show) that came out for the cube? I've seen it lying around for almost nothing.

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    The Superman Returns game seems to be shaping up to be pretty decent, though I have a feeling that, like Spider-Man, it will take a sequel to be fully realized.

That's something I used to only hear for movies.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Dex Dynamo wrote:
    The Riddler could confuse them

And catwoman could make them feel dirty... and like it

catwoman is a hero

maybe riddler, too

Well then

Carry on

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    bobgorila wrote:
    Jordyn wrote:

Apart from the Joker. I fucking loved the episode where he masterminded the Royal Flush gang thing in Vegas.

Joker is made of win and awesome.

But he was still with a team in that episode. Granted he was leading it, but he wasn't trying to go one on one with Supes or anything.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What they should do is make a Justice League game with only batman villains. And only the cool ones.

But it should be the Justice League Detroit.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Dex Dynamo wrote:
    What they should do is make a Justice League game with only batman villains. And only the cool ones.

But it should be the Justice League Detroit.

Time for the Jay El Ey!

Vibe.../shudder

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    As far as the story goes, the voice-actors are good, just not nearly as good as Timm's cast for JLU, and the story itself seems to try to be some kind of hybrid of the modern-age DC continuity and the DCAU continuity. Actually it seems more that they kind of go out of their way not to offend either continuity too terribly. Of course officially the game is its own continuity.

Also, Green Arrow is fun. And Ron Perlman is a fine Batman, albeit he's no Kevin Conroy. Honestly I'm now kind of wondering if I should expect to see(hear?) Ron Perlman play Batman in the animated adaptation of New Frontier.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2006
    Also, Green Arrow is fun. And Ron Perlman is a fine Batman, albeit he's no Kevin Conroy. Honestly I'm now kind of wondering if I should expect to see(hear?) Ron Perlman play Batman in the animated adaptation of New Frontier.

Bruce Timm is producing, so I'd say probably Kevin Conroy.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I just started playing it last night. I stopped, and when I went back I accidentally started a new game over my save file, so I had to go through what I played all over again. The game is tedious, so I used cheat codes.

And when I say I used cheat codes, I mean I used all of them. Invincibility, infinite energy, all costumes and characters, maxed abilities.

Ironically, this made the game more fun for me. Instead of just mashing A and B, I could mash the other buttons for special moves!

Having used every character, I'd say my favorites are Green Arrow and Flash. Ollie's explosive arrow maxed out destroys just about everything with a single hit. Flash is just fun because you can run fast.

The voices, I have found, are absolutely terrible. It's not bad voice acting, per se, the voices just don't match any of the characters. Ron Perlman is an awful Batman. Green Arrow sounds way to young (the VA would make a good Nightwing). Aquaman's voice actor may be the same one that does the gorilla soldier's grunts

One problem, I've found, is that you can't choose your costumes before each level. The only time you can choose them is on levels where you can pick your characters (which isn't often). I don't know if you just flat-out can't do this, or if I just don't know how. It's a rental, so I don't have the manual.

All in all, is it a fun game? Not really. It's pretty tough when played normally, and even with cheats it's still a bore. It doesn't look bad in motion, to my surprise (I'm playing it on Xbox). The story isn't compelling at all (Braniac is making trouble!).

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    All in all, is it a fun game? Not really. It's pretty tough when played normally, and even with cheats it's still a bore. It doesn't look bad in motion, to my surprise (I'm playing it on Xbox). The story isn't compelling at all (Braniac is making trouble!).
    Wait, it was hard? Are you serious?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:

I don't know if it was hard or if the AI was dumb, because the uncontrolled character kept dying and leaving me to fight a ton of robots.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Keith wrote:

I don't know if it was hard or if the AI was dumb, because the uncontrolled character kept dying and leaving me to fight a ton of robots.
    Were you trying to solo the game and ignoring him? That's the only way I ever lost an AI guy. That or forgetting to use the AI-command-thingy. It's just as primitive as the one in X-Men Legends, but the computer seems to take better advantage of it.

Oh and you can get your other guy back by walking near any savepoint.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I didn't have a manual, so I don't know why the different AI settings do

And I didn't know I could switch characters for half the game, when one of the load screens said "press ^ to switch characters"

I was like "fuck, I pressed every other button."

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    I didn't have a manual, so I don't know why the different AI settings do

And I didn't know I could switch characters for half the game, when one of the load screens said "press ^ to switch characters"

I was like "fuck, I pressed every other button."
    There's also the matter that you have to figure out how to play each character. Batman is vaguely tricky, but once you start using combos and figure out some of the special effects of his attacks (batarangs damn near always disarm enemies even when that attack is at lower levels, for example) and keep his combat-stat high. Capitalising on lasting-effects from attacks is also crucial, enemies take more damage when they're on fire or being electrocuted, they also take more damage when they're stunned. It really all comes down to just maintaining a managable pace through the levels. And it's way more forgiving than the Legends series, since everything will recharge if you can keep out of trouble for a little bit and you don't have to expend money to revive comrades. Being able to fly without expending a limited energy-meter at a stupid rate is also a nice touch.

I dunno, man. My buddy and I have played it through three times now and we both enjoy it and do well in it, and he doesn't generally even play videogames and definitely doesn't read DC or comics in general.

ViolentChemistry on