As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HALO] is dead.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    To put it in perspective, I am watching my brother play GTA Online with no problems on Xbox One. Somehow they managed to ship a game that has functional multiplayer at launch! And Rockstar is historically terrible at online.

Well, they did already launch that game quite a while ago, and that didn't work out too well at the time.

Yeah like how Halo 2 launched 10 years ago, Halo 3 launched 7 years ago, Halo 4 launched 2 years ago... all of which functioned at launch.

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    To put it in perspective, I am watching my brother play GTA Online with no problems on Xbox One. Somehow they managed to ship a game that has functional multiplayer at launch! And Rockstar is historically terrible at online.

Well, they did already launch that game quite a while ago, and that didn't work out too well at the time.

Yeah like how Halo 2 launched 10 years ago, Halo 3 launched 7 years ago, Halo 4 launched 2 years ago... all of which functioned at launch.

And I'm sure if this game was just those games on a menu with no cross game functions or multiplayer features they wouldn't be having this problem.

Because that's what GTA V is, just the old game with more pretties, not 4 games sliced up and shoved all into one package.

No I don't.

And I'm sure if this game was just those games on a menu with no cross game functions or multiplayer features they wouldn't be having this problem.

Because that's what GTA V is, just the old game with more pretties, not 4 games sliced up and shoved all into one package.

It's fine they tried to mesh them, but they took games that worked before flawlessly and mangled them. They had 2 years post Halo 4 to make this. And they deserve to be called out on it if they messed up. They even promised "Halo 2 exactly as it launched 10 years ago" in a panel, which was a lie.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    http://www.joystiq.com/2014/11/18/halo-mcc-matchmaking-patch-delayed-until-later-this-week/

Patch is delayed for an unspecified amount of time for additional fixes.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Yeah... I'm starting to realize that there's no reasoning to be had here. Not saying they're wrong for being outraged/annoyed/whatever, just that there's simply no point in trying to argue against that outrage/annoyance/whatever if you can see past it yourself.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    Except it's totally justified to be annoyed when you buy a product and it doesn't perform as advertised. It's like buying a washer and dryer, but the dryer doesn't let you connect to Team Slayer matches. And is also on fire.
    It's funny because this was supposed to save the Halo community, as matchmaking numbers for past halos has been at all time low.

The myriad other issues are one thing, but I can't cut them any slack for not getting a party and matchmaking system working right. That stuff should work regardless of how many Halo games they stitched together.

• EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Except it's totally justified to be annoyed when you buy a product and it doesn't perform as advertised. It's like buying a washer and dryer, but the dryer doesn't let you connect to Team Slayer matches. And is also on fire.
    It's funny because this was supposed to save the Halo community, as matchmaking numbers for past halos has been at all time low.

Indeed it is.

Although I can absolutely see the launch day point as well.
    I mean, you can say all you want about Halo fans not caring if it was pushed. But to MS they are looking at the widest possible demographics to appeal to. That date was set, and has significance to the entire franchise.

Both parties have blame in it, and the game really should have been in better shape, or at least launched with different expectations... like get single player all working for launch (which it mostly is), then roll out CE:H2:H3:H4 multi in the days/weeks following. That way you manage expectations and still get to have your big event stuff going on.

I didn't say you were wrong for being so! I just said it was pointless to try to explain/etc further since it'd be like putting water on a oil fire—a comparative illustration that actually makes sense instead of ferraris and washers/dryers. :P

PLEASE DON'T HIT ME, WE'RE ALL VARYING DEGREES OF UPSET/DISAPPOINTED/NON-POSITIVE-EMOTION-HERE OVER THE GAME *hides*

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I really just took from it that I was able to play a Halo 2 match Tuesday night after my installation completed.

Granted, it was only one match (if I had really wanted more, I probably would have ended up waiting). And people could play all the custom games they wanted, for what that was worth (a partial solution?).

GTAV, on the other hand, didn't seem to work that first night, or even the week after.

So, in my entirely unscientific method of comparison--better than the GTAV launch, but worse than Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm.

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Bad launch. Jury still out on if it'll end up being the archival quality collection I wanted.

No I don't.
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I wonder if I can return this

My friends and I were pumped to get this home and relive that multi glory, and it's just been a huge disappointment, it's killed my enthusiasm

I might try to pick up Dragon Age or something

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Okay so I did level 4 in Halo 1 and got to the control room with the hologram. That level felt pretty long. Alternating plasma pistols and human pistols did in fact work well.

I decided to try the first level of Halo 4 and man do I like the visuals and atmosphere. I'm not sure if I should have touched it because it seems sleek and cool and modern and now I want to play it out of order from the other games.

Also I received my copy of The Art of Halo 4 which is quite nicely-made as a beefy, glossy hardcover coffee table book:

7wBn7Yrl.jpg

desc on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Good sweet lord the missions in Halo 1 are long. Like absurdly long.

It also doesn't help that the constantly repeating corridors has me accidentally backtracking more than once. I feel like this game was made with the N64 philosophy of "longer=better?" with level designs.

I found myself remembering why Truth and Reconciliation is my least favorite level in any Halo game, not including Halo Wars which I left unfinished (had I finished it, I think that might have remained the case).

A combination of an obsessive desire to keep my marines alive, unreliable scripting ("What the fuck do you mean, you're not giving me any more marines! You did it every other time!"), all those bullshit hunters with a crap weapon selection, and a reminder that I hate close-quarter H1 multiplayer maps.

Plus, The Silent Cartographer is right after it, which is such a goddamn amazing level.

Hunters are a joke in that level, honestly. Either snipe them in the belly with the sniper rifle or just pick up a plasma pistol and punch them to death.

Arteen wrote: »
    Hunters are a joke in that level, honestly. Either snipe them in the belly with the sniper rifle or just pick up a plasma pistol and punch them to death.

Well, I suck, because I can't snipe them worth a crap in heroic unless their backs are to me.

They're hard if you suck. Especially when they decide to send three pairs of them, one after another.

Y'know this is probably one of those "YMMV"/"Easy for you but not for me" kinds of things. :P

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Try to get the hunter to melee towards you, then jump over them and shoot them in the back.

Or better yet, lure them to an edge and make them lunge off the side

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    The first time you face a Hunter in ODST. Seemingly nowhere to run. Low ammo.

You can literally circle around them while punching them and they should miss all of their melee swipes. They aren't too damaging even if they do hit you once.

Hunters become much more troublesome in later games.

• Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    You can literally circle around them while punching them and they should miss all of their melee swipes. They aren't too damaging even if they do hit you once.

Hunters become much more troublesome in later games.

I remember to my surprise and horror when bungie in all their wisdom decided to put in a backward melee swing in after their initial swing in reach.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I dunno, their lunge in CE seems crazy fast, too fast to dodge. Maybe I'm just trying to use counters that work on later hunters but simply don't work with CE hunters.

cB557 on
    I've had no issue strafing to the left or right and letting those guys charge past me.

Incidentally, I never knew those guys were just Elites wearing power armor. I thought they were just some naturally-hulking alien species.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What?

No, Hunters are a gestalt creature, utterly different from the Elites.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Mgalekgolo

Oh, nevermind then. I assumed I was wrong since their grunts were very similar to Elites.

Fun hunter fact: Hunter worms make up the insides of scarabs, too.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    What?

No, Hunters are a gestalt creature, utterly different from the Elites.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Mgalekgolo

"Distinctions

A single entity created by a unified colony of small worm-like creatures called Lekgolo."

Cooooooool

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Alright, now go read First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, and the Forerunner trilogy.

Update is out, found a H2A match in no time. It seems to have worked!

cB557 wrote: »
    Alright, now go read First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, and the Forerunner trilogy.

I'm halfway through Fall Of Reach. I will check out others soon.

So are you bros watching Halo Nightfall? I'm watching episode 2 now and it seems pretty good.

I like the little side detail videos quite a bit. The inclusion of gun details and such seems amusingly well-suited to the audience.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Nightfall won't work for me.

http://youtu.be/lERE1bOgpwE
    Two people quit on us, but it turned to my advantage

• pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    I will be checking out the patch as soon as I get off work. Please for the love of all that is holy, let me play some damn halo.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I am downloading the patch overnight and will be playing tomorrow and since I have Saturday off, most of Saturday.

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Patch seems to have done basically nothing for me. Spent 45 minutes waiting and got two games one of which started 4v3 and then my team quit.

Hasn't helped matchmaking for anyone else I know either.

• BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Yeah i still cant get a game, UK screwed?

Can i also stress again what a monumental fuck up this is.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    @Local H Jay‌ Dude, grabbin a xbone on Blackfriday, as I need my fill of Halo. I hope you are still playing by end of month. I hope all is well in a week

This discussion has been closed.