As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Far Cry New Dawn - The MOST realistic premise ever

Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
edited February 2019 in Games and Technology
Far_Cry_4_box_art.jpg

This is Far Cry 3 but in the snowy mountains and at least in the first hour, no one except for the baddie seems like a douchebag asshole fuckhead.

Ajay Ghale is the protagonist, come to lay his mother's ashes to rest.

Pagan Min is the purple-suited crazy despot and, I assume, the antagonist.

There is a bow, there is fire, there are goddamn bird attacks, there are outposts, there are towers to climb.

It seems pretty good so far.

Medium Dave on

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Unlocked around 11 on PS4 last night, had no problems, everything was running great. Played for a little over an hour.

It wastes no time in getting you going. By the end of that hour, I had the bow, was crafting, had been taught how to use bait, stealth and had just finished climbing my first tower.

It looks damn good on PS4. The feel of the world is different than Far Cry 3. I dig it so far.

Ajay seems a little passive right now, but it's just begun. I'm sure some shit will go bonkers at some point, but at the moment, I haven't been rolling my eyes at any of the characters.

You can spend 20 uPlay point to unlock painted elephants so, of course, I did that.

When your whip gets fucked up, you can repair it by pulling out a blowtorch. As it turns out, you can set yourself and grass and wild dogs on fire with it. Word of warning.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Got a few hours in last night.

Died a few times in the prologue mission due to forgetting that I had to use the F key to melee, not click the house even if I'm displayed holding a melee weapon and deciding to try to shoot at vultures thereby alerting the patrols in the mission.

Having what amounts to a grenade that summons bears instead of exploding makes me quite happy with the tools you get.

Swimming across a lake instead of using a boat was painful. Demon fish indeed.

Eagles are a pain.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    the little Buzzer copters are such a godsend. Hunting tigers becomes more fun when you hover just out of their reach and blast them as they are powerless to do anything. I've been doing that with my Robocop pistol for a while now.

Are you the magic man?
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Anyone "finished" it yet?
    Only takes about 15 minutes! I think I'll probably buy this one instead of renting in order to support more joke endings in video games.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    Anyone "finished" it yet?
    Only takes about 15 minutes! I think I'll probably buy this one instead of renting in order to support more joke endings in video games.

There's an achievement for that alternate ending. Shame you only get one save slot though so I think I'd have to come back to it.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    A combination of being out of healing syringes, fire around you, and few enough enemies to give you time to play out the syringeless healing animation leads to some absurd visuals.

Every few steps I had to pat out fire and then Ajay would suddenly discover a bullet in his left arm to dig out. Then he'd get set on fire again and find a glass shard wedged into the hand that had been holding a shotgun. And then fire would dislocate a finger he'd have to snap back into place. And then dislocate the finger again.

Steam Profile
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Really disappointed to see crafting and shit is becoming a major part of Far Cry. Having picked up Far Cry 3 after remembering I enjoyed the original when it came out, I could only tolerate about 45 minute of the game because picking plants and hunting boars is not why I bought it. Why does every fucking game have to implement some form of elder scrolls bullshit?

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Why does every fucking game have to implement some form of elder scrolls bullshit?

Yeah, the killing and skinning was one of the things that felt most out of place in NBA 2K15.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The hunting and crafting is one of the absolute best parts of Far Cry 3. Super glad it's still in 4.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    I quite like the hunting in Farcry3+4, of course it helps that a fair number of those animals are also hunting you.
    and in 4 it is how you get bait, which allows you summon fuzzy rage grenade style.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    Viking wrote: »
    I quite like the hunting in Farcry3+4, of course it helps that a fair number of those animals are also hunting you.
    and in 4 it is how you get bait, which allows you summon fuzzy rage grenade style.

I was looking at the required wolf skins for an item and wondering where I'd find them since I didn't see any hunting sites for them on my map when one decided to reassure me that I wouldn't have to go far to find them.

I got more quickly from a story mission after that, but the first was the most memorable.

Steam Profile
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Worst part of hunting is that animals are somewhat centered on one region but can be found on the outskirts of where the region is denoted on a map. Also, since shadows are so massively dark at times they can be easily lost unless you get a good bead on them. Nice that the bow and the throwing knives provide double skins for your effort, though.

Gunplay feels almost banal despite the Seagal-potential awesomeness that is provided by the skills that let you take down one enemy and then use his gun or knife towards a nearby dude. But sneaking around and learning the enemy placement so you can take them out in a correct order is satisfying. Fantastic setting too, even in the basic natural regions with no set-pieces or South-Asian decors.
    Also the Hunters are damn cool - their whistles don't blend in but they really feel as a somewhat spooky enemy

Absalon on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I'm just an old curmudgeon I guess. I don't see the point in gating things behind skill trees and berry picking skinner boxes, especially not in the genre that Far Cry was once sort of a part of. I don't know what it would be considered now, but it's not for me I guess.

I'm just an old curmudgeon I guess. I don't see the point in gating things behind skill trees and berry picking skinner boxes, especially not in the genre that Far Cry was once sort of a part of. I don't know what it would be considered now, but it's not for me I guess.

A lot of Far Cry's combat now consists of various melee and stealth kills that are more about positioning than aiming. Giving you new ways to shoot things via new weapons makes sense but new ways to stab people not as much.

Steam Profile
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Far Cry 3's hunting was fun but having to put like 90 bullets into a tiger or whatever to kill it was super fucking dumb.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ain't no gun in Far Cry 3 couldn't kill a tiger in less than a magazine. Learn to aim.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Nah. I learned to flamethrower instead.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Nah. I learned to flamethrower instead.

Also a valid strategy

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Bullshit, bow, knife, and blood that's all you ever needed to hunt animals and men in far cry 3.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Are you seriously telling me you never lit a bear on fire in that game? Best part of the game A++ would flamethrower again.

No I had respect for the animal.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Shit, you kill an animal with you bow or knife (and like one or two other things) you get a clean kill bonus and get double skins, now.

Finally a reward for being Rambo, other than satisfaction.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    No I had respect for the animal.
    That respect was definitely not returned in kind. Bears will gut you and give no fucks. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    As is the animal's right, you should always hunt something that can fight back.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Far Cry games bring out my pyro side.

I never finished 2 because I'd just spend time incinerating swaths of savannah and the zebras therein.

How many bullets it takes to take down animals has been weird in FC3/4/BD. Even a buzzard takes more rifle bullets to fell than a soldier. It does encourage hunting with the ridiculously damaging bows. And the flare gun because that gets to one shot bears for some reason.

Steam Profile
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    How many bullets it takes to take down animals has been weird in FC3/4/BD. Even a buzzard takes more rifle bullets to fell than a soldier. It does encourage hunting with the ridiculously damaging bows. And the flare gun because that gets to one shot bears for some reason.
    Just wait until you have to hunt Rhinos in this game...

The hunting led to my favorite moment in the game so far. Of course, it involves an Elephant. I was sitting on a hill, looking for some specific creature when I saw a cage in the distance with a wild dog inside of it. I thought "Eh, not what I'm looking for", but there was an Elephant nearby. Something made the Elephant angry, and it ran and busted the cage open. So now an Elephant and a wild dog are running loose, turning over cars and killing Pagan Min's patrols. Afterwards, they walked off into the sunset together, best of friends.

"I can't believe I'm the only one seeing this..."

I wish I had recorded the footage.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Dogs and elephants living to together MASS HYSTERIA!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    First two minutes into the game proper. Slide down a zipline a couple hundred feet long. Gun down a deer on a ridge. Watch a car run down a hapless civilian walking through the middle of the road. Have to fight a honey badger when I go to loot the guy. Get attacked by an eagle when I go to skin the badger. And I've got the recurve bow less than an hour in.

Yup. I'm happy.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Can you attack C4 to every animal in the game? Rhinos? Elephants? Chickens?

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Just wait until you have to hunt Rhinos in this game...

The hunting led to my favorite moment in the game so far. Of course, it involves an Elephant. I was sitting on a hill, looking for some specific creature when I saw a cage in the distance with a wild dog inside of it. I thought "Eh, not what I'm looking for", but there was an Elephant nearby. Something made the Elephant angry, and it ran and busted the cage open. So now an Elephant and a wild dog are running loose, turning over cars and killing Pagan Min's patrols. Afterwards, they walked off into the sunset together, best of friends.

"I can't believe I'm the only one seeing this..."

I wish I had recorded the footage.

I want that dog and elephant buddy duo to be either the protagonists or antagonists of Far Cry 5.

I understand you get the wingsuit earlier in this one, thank christ. That was my one motivation to play the actual missions in 3, and it took waaaay too long.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Really disappointed to see crafting and shit is becoming a major part of Far Cry. Having picked up Far Cry 3 after remembering I enjoyed the original when it came out, I could only tolerate about 45 minute of the game because picking plants and hunting boars is not why I bought it. Why does every fucking game have to implement some form of elder scrolls bullshit?
    jesus, one of the main reasons people LOVED FC3 was because of the new hunting/crafting mechanic
    It was fun, fresh, and fun.

the 3 Fs.

did I mention it was fun?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Ive gotten killed by honey badgers more than I'd like to admit.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Ive gotten killed by honey badgers more than I'd like to admit.

While still an FPS, I tend to think of Far Cry as more of an Austrailia simulator than a shooter now.

Steam Profile
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I would enjoy this much more if it wasn't a slideshow. This is why I end up getting PS4 instead of PC versions.

Big Classy wrote: »
    I would enjoy this much more if it wasn't a slideshow. This is why I end up getting PS4 instead of PC versions.

It actually runs pretty smoothly on a computer that's way too old after I turned the details down to medium. I've heard people with AMD cards having more issues though. And it was really bad until I turned down the graphics options but said computer is 4 or 5 years old.

Steam Profile
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I was almost maybe going to get the ps3 one on the way home from work but then I saw that there's apparently a game breaking bug where the game just won't run at all on some ps3s, with no patch and no work around.

So... Maybe I'll wait on this one.

Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I was almost maybe going to get the ps3 one on the way home from work but then I saw that there's apparently a game breaking bug where the game just won't run at all on some ps3s, with no patch and no work around.

So... Maybe I'll wait on this one.

It's not like we're hurting for other games to pick up as of today.

Steam Profile