As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Valkyria Chronicles] You Got Your RPG in my World War 2 - VC4 on PC Sept 25!

• DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    First time I played that mission, the tank just would not fire its damn gun and open the radiators. I think I was 12-13 turns in, goading it into shooting at my tank by parking well within cannon range, and it just wouldn't. My whole crew, including 4 lancers, were camped out on either side. It finally reached the last camp after my delaying tactic of "park Edelweiss in front of it and repair the collision damage" failed to make it ever fire its damn gun. It finally shot... radiators opened up, I destroyed one, and they all closed again during the cutscene when Selvaria appears. Next turn, the radiators opened again and the lancers took them down, then dumped all their rounds into the main body and finished it off with tank rounds from my last two CP. The reinforcements never got a chance to move.

Fuck that mission hard.

Were you shooting the walls down?

I put two lances into the first wall, saw they did next to no damage, and decided they were better used on the gun turrets. The next turn the tank blew up the wall by itself. I didn't bother after that.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    First time I played that mission, the tank just would not fire its damn gun and open the radiators. I think I was 12-13 turns in, goading it into shooting at my tank by parking well within cannon range, and it just wouldn't. My whole crew, including 4 lancers, were camped out on either side. It finally reached the last camp after my delaying tactic of "park Edelweiss in front of it and repair the collision damage" failed to make it ever fire its damn gun. It finally shot... radiators opened up, I destroyed one, and they all closed again during the cutscene when Selvaria appears. Next turn, the radiators opened again and the lancers took them down, then dumped all their rounds into the main body and finished it off with tank rounds from my last two CP. The reinforcements never got a chance to move.

Fuck that mission hard.

I put two lances into the first wall, saw they did next to no damage, and decided they were better used on the gun turrets. The next turn the tank blew up the wall by itself. I didn't bother after that.
    There are two types of wall. knocked down ones and upright ones.

You want to hit the upright ones with Lances, They don't have any health or even a health metre.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Fuck that mission hard.

The goal is to knock the walls into the tanks path, so it has to use its cannon to clear it, giving you a shot at the radiators. The first one is done for you to give you an idea of what to do, but it isn't made all that clear.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.

Fuck that mission hard.

You want to hit the upright ones with Lances, They don't have any health or even a health metre.

Which is weird since the wall I shot (just south of the first camp the tank flattens) was definitely upright, and definitely had a huge ass health bar.

Fuck that mission hard.

Which is weird since the wall I shot (just south of the first camp the tank flattens) was definitely upright, and definitely had a huge ass health bar.
    That one is done for you. It is less upright than the rest of them.

I believe the one just in front of your starred base is already knocked down too.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
    That mission does a piss-poor job of communicating this vital information in any sort of reasonably understandable fashion.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    The first wall is down automatically - the Batomys blows it up, and the chatter says "Yo, shoot the walls". It's quite clear, unless you shoot the wall before that and confuse yourself. The real problem with that mission is that Selvaria shows up immediately after you take out the second radiator.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    The first wall is down automatically - the Batomys blows it up, and the chatter says "Yo, shoot the walls". It's quite clear, unless you shoot the wall before that and confuse yourself. The real problem with that mission is that Selvaria shows up immediately after you take out the second radiator.

I think the moral here is you can hate that mission (we all want it to eat a mountain of dicks, trust me), just hate it for the right reasons. Dealing with the tank, then dealing with the tank after Selvaria shows up is enough reason to hate it without missing the hints for how to slow it down. Using grenades to take out the radiators isn't hinted, it's just something people found out. The mission is perfectly doable without using the grenade trick, it just takes longer.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Shen wrote: »

It was the second wall, then. I didn't shoot any walls until the radio told me to, and after a pair of rockets were completely ineffectual and the tank blew up the wall itself, I figured it would just shoot all the walls in its way. It didn't, until the very last round for some reason. The mechanics of that fight as opaque as all hell.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Suriko wrote: »
    Once I was down to the last radiator and had Wavy throw in a grenade.

The grenade exploded.

The radiator glitched out and didn't.

I was displeased.

I had this happen to me today and had a similar reaction. It also pissed me off that if you have a unit climb the ladder onto the tank and the tank moves, they're thrown off for no reason. That's what the safety rails are for guys!
    I stopped playing this on PS3 when I had to sneak past that damn sniper.

but i can't decide if the story is too much anime for me to buy it again. I know I loved the combat aspects but the story...

All I can say to that is...
    MOINK!

Mr Ray on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

but i can't decide if the story is too much anime for me to buy it again. I know I loved the combat aspects but the story...

Is still infinitely less anime than Valkyria Chronicles 2.

Think on that and despair.

chiasaur11 wrote: »

Valkyria chronicles 2 has lots of interesting classes and brought new mechanics to the table.
    That is the only positive thing I can say about it.

edited November 2014
    I've been somewhat desensitized to what my housemate calls "the stupid shit" (i.e, anything excessively Japanese) through repeated exposure. So long as Alicia doesn't end up hitting Welkin in the head with a frying pan after he catches a glimpse of her panties and getting a nose-bleed, I think I'll be fine.

That... that doesn't actually happen, right? Because I didn't think this would be that sort of game, but then Captain Hans the Porcavian hero showed up...

Mr Ray on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    No, that doesn't happen.

I don't even think that happens in VC2.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Of course that doesn't happen, @Mr Ray‌.

Alicia's a soldier; she uses the butt of her rifle to upside Welkin's head post-nosebleed-panty-sighting.

The beach scene during the R&R Report had the most hilariously anachronistic swimsuits ever.
    Welkin wearing a 1930s full-torso suit and Alicia in a '60s string bikini come onnnn

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I kept waiting for a battle to break out during that sequence, forcing everyone to fight in beachwear.

For god's sake, they brought the tank with them. Don't you tease me like that game, I will go to the ends of the earth for costumes.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    I kept waiting for a battle to break out during that sequence, forcing everyone to fight in beachwear.

For god's sake, they brought the tank with them. Don't you tease me like that game, I will go to the ends of the earth for costumes.

Varrot not joining in was a true crime. :(

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular

For reals. that pink haired chick in Class A. I really wish there as an option to talk back to her because I was all like,

"Are you fucking shitting me? You're going to play the ''Highschool Elitist Card? When we are looking for troops in a GOT.DAMNED.CIVIL WAR?!"
    I wanted to punch her the fuck out so bad.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Played this game a little bit. Just finished the prologue and a skirmish mapmap. Haven't done that first urban mission.

I like it a lot. The anime stuff is a little draining, but the game play is fun. At first I was iffy on that too, but after dabbling in my first skirmish map where I had a scout destroy a sandbag and then had Vyse hose down a trooper behind it I felt better. Getting the edelweiss was fun too. Even if tank controls are straight fucked on PC. Its like no one tested that part.

As soon is learned to not take things slow like in xcom I was happy. Still feels weird but whatever. I kind of wish battles weren't supposed to be cleared in like two turns though.

Dont sweat clear time your first time on a map. Thats for when you know it well.

The tank controls really, really need to be patched so WS are forward/back and AD are turn left/right, and the mouse has nothing whatsoever to do with any of it.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Be thankful that VC1 is less anime than its own anime series. Anime Alicia's characterization...*retches*

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    The tank controls really, really need to be patched so WS are forward/back and AD are turn left/right, and the mouse has nothing whatsoever to do with any of it.
    This irritated the heck outta me. Turn to look and oh there goes my movement.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Be thankful that VC1 is less anime than its own anime series. Anime Alicia's characterization...*retches*

Also with the anime... What the fuck? No war sequence episodes save I think one at the very end?
    I know its a rather light and cherry vibe most of the time, but for real's... Think about it.

Attack on titan give no effs about characters and blood and this would have been an awesome band of brothers anime.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

For reals. that pink haired chick in Class A. I really wish there as an option to talk back to her because I was all like,

"Are you fucking shitting me? You're going to play the ''Highschool Elitist Card? When we are looking for troops in a GOT.DAMNED.CIVIL WAR?!"

Another reason to wish Jane Turner was there.

From the way the drill sgt. talks about her, she's probably graduated from regular intimidating to full on Commissar. Imagine setting someone like that loose on the chucklefucks of VCII.

The only thing better would be putting the entire academy under the emergency supervision of Lord General Castor from Dawn of War. (Hey, they're both Sega games now.)

I'm using a controller, so this isn't so much of an issue for me. An Xbox controller, actually, which I find deliciously ironic.

So I'm halfway through the chapter titled:
    The Concentration Camp.

I wasn't fully convinced of a Japanese game developer's ability to handle the subject matter with respect, and wouldn't you know it I was pretty much spot-on:
    Guard: "I am a Nazi, bwahaahaa! Work harder you maggots!"
    Dude: "You know we can't do any work at all if we're dead, right?"
    Guard: "Curse you and your logic! I'm leaving, these puppies won't kick themselves!"

Okay, so that could have been worse, but at least they're trying to emphasize that these places are super not nice. Only then we get:

Rosie: "I am a massive fucking bitch for no reason."
    Dude: "Could you maybe not be a huge fucking bitch for no reason?"
    Rosie: "No."
    Dude: "What if I change your mind using a horribly tortured metaphor?"
    Welkin: "BEETLES!
    Rosie: "Oh, okay then. I am now cured of racism forever."

Also, just looking at the chapter titles in an FAQ, I seem to have missed the "R&R" part somehow. It suggested I have to buy it from somewhere; how does that work exactly?

Go to HQ, Castlefront Street and buy the reports from Ellet. They get expensive after the first two, but you should buy them all because some of them have interesting missions and they unlock potentials for the soldier they're about.

Go to HQ, Castlefront Street and buy the reports from Ellet. They get expensive after the first two, but you should buy them all because some of them have interesting missions and they unlock potentials for the soldier they're about.

There's one that's a hostage rescue or something - you basically have only grunts, you need to move far, fast, and slay everything quickly. Oh, and Welkin's back on foot for it.

It's basically all about scouts and maybe a shock. And probably Largo sitting back for the free CP but you'll never move him (unless maybe to mortar, don't recall the terrain).

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

There's one that's a hostage rescue or something - you basically have only grunts, you need to move far, fast, and slay everything quickly. Oh, and Welkin's back on foot for it.

It's basically all about scouts and maybe a shock. And probably Largo sitting back for the free CP but you'll never move him (unless maybe to mortar, don't recall the terrain).

There's also a hilarious way to cheese that, if it's the one I'm thinking of.
    Run Welkin up to the tank barricades. Have him throw a grenade near himself. The explosion will throw him over the parricades and right next to the flag.

The hostage rescue was hilariously short.
    Scout 1: take left, shoot sniper on roof
    Scout 2: Run to right corner of right building, shoot guy in back
    Scout 2: Shoot guy behind left building
    OPERATION COMPLETE
    wait, wut?

God and Irony kinda solve that issue in... May, roughly?

wbee62u815wj.png

Huh, I knew the reports unlocked potentials but I assumed that was all that they did. Have I been missing out on side-missions this whole time?

One other question... several times I've had a soldier trigger their "extra shot" potential, but their weapon is still X'ed out so I can't seem to actually take this alleged extra shot. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Mr Ray wrote: »

Huh, I knew the reports unlocked potentials but I assumed that was all that they did. Have I been missing out on side-missions this whole time?

One other question... several times I've had a soldier trigger their "extra shot" potential, but their weapon is still X'ed out so I can't seem to actually take this alleged extra shot. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Some classes have limited ammo. Watch to see how much ammo you have on the right end of the character window. If you're out, can't fire again until an Engineer replenishes or another turn passes depending on class.

wbee62u815wj.png

It just replaces one unit of ammo for snipers and lancers. You still can only take one shot per CP.

edited November 2014
    Nope, every time the unit has had ammo left, although its always been on a unit that has ammo (Sniper or Lancer), now that you mention it. Makes me think this is a bug.

Mr Ray on
    That's what it's supposed to do. You fire one shot (out of 3), proc Extra Shot, ammo goes back up to 3, but you can't shoot again using that CP.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Nope, every time the unit has had ammo left, although its always been on a unit that has ammo (Sniper or Lancer), now that you mention it. Makes me think this is a bug.

People with limited ammo gain a certain amount back every round - 1 round of ammo per battle round, IIRC, for Snipers and Lancers. This also happens with grenades, BTW.

So, if you order more than 1 command to that unit each battle round (like, have your sniper take a couple headshots instead of just 1), there's a chance you could run out of ammo - your usage rate is higher than your regen rate.

The two normal ways around that are 1) run an engineer up to the unit, which refills them to the max amount, or 2) have them go a round without shooting anything.

Extra Shot is a potential that gives them an additional round of ammunition, which can let them fire longer before they need to take a break / find an engineer. It does not let them fire more than once per command point. It's like, "Hey, I found another bullet in my pocket," not "double tap."

Make sense?

edited November 2014
    Elvenshae wrote: »

People with limited ammo gain a certain amount back every round - 1 round of ammo per battle round, IIRC, for Snipers and Lancers. This also happens with grenades, BTW.

So, if you order more than 1 command to that unit each battle round (like, have your sniper take a couple headshots instead of just 1), there's a chance you could run out of ammo - your usage rate is higher than your regen rate.

The two normal ways around that are 1) run an engineer up to the unit, which refills them to the max amount, or 2) have them go a round without shooting anything.

Extra Shot is a potential that gives them an additional round of ammunition, which can let them fire longer before they need to take a break / find an engineer. It does not let them fire more than once per command point. It's like, "Hey, I found another bullet in my pocket," not "double tap."

Make sense?

There is a separate potential for that, though. And it's kind of mean. I think there may actually be more than one.

Polaritie on
  • Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    That mission does a piss-poor job of communicating this vital information in any sort of reasonably understandable fashion.

I've beaten the game and that's one of my biggest criticisms. It's never entirely clear what you're supposed to do or what's happening.