As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2015 BYOC Information (see you next year!)

• Options
    shepdshepd Registered User regular
    My wife and I aren't certain, but we think the BYOC passes came mailed to us with the 3-Day passes we ordered. In which case, there's nothing to worry about--not like there's any way up to 9 plastic cards and a letter are going to cost $27 to mail out, has to be at least $20 of profit built into that! :twisted:

• Options
    InacurateInacurate Bedford, NHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    First year at PAX East, had to buy a BYOC badge too. I haven't been to a LAN since the last Nor'Easter a number of years back, this will be fun!

If I'm staying at the Westin, does anyone know if I can carry my equipment from my hotel room to the BYOC area or must it be dropped off only via the entrance detailed on the map, which looks like a loading dock out back?

Inacurate on
  • Options
    MalfeisMalfeis Protagonist. 2d10 hit die. Chaotic Neutral. Registered User regular
    Inacurate wrote: »
    First year at PAX East, had to buy a BYOC badge too. I haven't been to a LAN since the last Nor'Easter a number of years back, this will be fun!

If I'm staying at the Westin, does anyone know if I can carry my equipment from my hotel room to the BYOC area or must it be dropped off only via the entrance detailed on the map, which looks like a loading dock out back?

In years past, this process was a bit iffy (foot-loading, that is). Last year we were able to use the Westin skybridge to get in early Friday morning for setup, but this is probably not guaranteed. Security has the ultimate say in the matter. Vapok will probably announce something closer to the event.

PAX East 2015 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X] BYOC [X]
  • Options
    Thank you Malfeis. Like the checklist in your signature!

• Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Malfeis wrote: »

In years past, this process was a bit iffy (foot-loading, that is). Last year we were able to use the Westin skybridge to get in early Friday morning for setup, but this is probably not guaranteed. Security has the ultimate say in the matter. Vapok will probably announce something closer to the event.

I do not expect any issues with attendees trying to load in equipment from Westin on Friday morning. There may be some speed bumps on the doors opening right at 8AM. The only issue you WILL encounter is if 4 wheeled carts are being used. Those are NOT allowed in the BCEC.

If you need a cart of some sort, utilize a two-wheeled hand cart (I personally have used and recommend this item.)

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    Yeah I have been using a similar one to that since 2012 (only East I didn't do BYOC was 2011).

JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    Vapok wrote: »
    If you need a cart of some sort, utilize a two-wheeled hand cart (I personally have used and recommend this item.)

Awesome. Thanks!
    If foot-loading is a go, will we be able to make two trips (waiting in lines and all, of course) to register equipment in or can we only register equipment the first time through?

• Options
    sarysary 100% pure awesomesauce manchester, nhRegistered User regular
    Awesome. Thanks!
    If foot-loading is a go, will we be able to make two trips (waiting in lines and all, of course) to register equipment in or can we only register equipment the first time through?

Unless the system/policies change there shouldn't be an issue registering additional equipment. I'd recommend the hand truck though, why wait in more lines than you have to? :)

Twitter: @seryseraphical

PAX East 2012 Omeganaut. Awesomest. Time. Ever.
  • Options
    PolishPolish Registered User new member
    First PAX BYOC, can't wait!!!

Early WIP
    lqwwjngos926.jpg

• Options
    CrazyJotunnCrazyJotunn Registered User new member
    So if I get a BYOC badge, do I absolutely have to arrive for an 8:00 check in, or is BYOC check in from 8:00 until PAX opens? Any reply would be great.

• Options
    So if I get a BYOC badge, do I absolutely have to arrive for an 8:00 check in, or is BYOC check in from 8:00 until PAX opens? Any reply would be great.

A "perk" if you will of BYOC is access to the BYOC area prior to Friday morning show opening. This allows you a few hours before the show opens to get your rig and desk setup to your liking and still be able to get in the queue for Expo Hall opening. I don't know why, but people LOVE the Expo Hall. Something about awesomeness and shiney objects... squirrel's... =)

Anyways... Friday is the only day we do the 8AM thing. Otherwise, you're welcome to register equipment at any time during show hours.

Vapok
  • Options
    Also Note - Nothing definitive yet, but there may be slight changes in the registration process this year. More to come as that materializes, but as we get to talking about registration in past years, just know that everything is subject to change.... or not. :)

Vapok
  • Options
    edited November 2014

A "perk" if you will of BYOC is access to the BYOC area prior to Friday morning show opening. This allows you a few hours before the show opens to get your rig and desk setup to your liking and still be able to get in the queue for Expo Hall opening. I don't know why, but people LOVE the Expo Hall. Something about awesomeness and shiney objects... squirrel's... =)

Anyways... Friday is the only day we do the 8AM thing. Otherwise, you're welcome to register equipment at any time during show hours.

My thing is that I would love to do BYOC, but I have an issue getting up early. I do live in central MA, but to account for the time it takes to get ready and the waiting lines and travel time of the T etc, would mean that i would have to get up earlier than I am generally able, so if there is a grace period of sorts after 8:00 for BYOC check in before PAX starts, that would be wicked. If not, I will have to ask the family for assistance.

CrazyJotunn on
  • Options

My thing is that I would love to do BYOC, but I have an issue getting up early. I do live in central MA, but to account for the time it takes to get ready and the waiting lines and travel time of the T etc, would mean that i would have to get up earlier than I am generally able, so if there is a grace period of sorts after 8:00 for BYOC check in before PAX starts, that would be wicked. If not, I will have to ask the family for assistance.

When you say "grace period", makes me think you think there would be a negative side effect if you don't show up at 8AM. When YOU decide to show up for BYOC, is really up to you. You can show up at 8AM on Friday, 2PM on Friday, hell you can show up at 10:45AM on Sunday. You'll still get in. The point of early registration on Friday is that attendee's love PAX. and PAX Attendee's LOVE BYOC (or they should)!

On Friday's, starting at 8AM, we allow people to enter BYOC for registration and setup. Well BEFORE 8AM, there is generally a line, and well AFTER 8AM, there's generally a line. So... no matter what time you get here BEFORE 10AM on Friday, I would expect to wait in a line. :)

Vapok
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It should be noted to properly set expectations that if you show up at 7:55, there's likely to be a long line ahead of you. There are 350 people to check in, a limited number of security Enforcers who want to do the best possible job securing your gear accurately, and the large majority of those 350 crush in between 7:30 and 9:30am.

p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    LPANE, which ran Nor'Easter, use to have a 'pre-checkin' setup where you'd submit the exact equipment you'd be bringing. That list would then be compared to what you actually showed up with, modified as necessary and barcodes printed.

Anyone ever think about doing something similar? I don't know how equipment is cataloged for PAX, but having us attendees do most of the typing ahead of time, may save time.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Alright. Thanks for the info everyone. Ordered BYOC tickets. See you in four-ish months.

CrazyJotunn on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    LPANE, which ran Nor'Easter, use to have a 'pre-checkin' setup where you'd submit the exact equipment you'd be bringing. That list would then be compared to what you actually showed up with, modified as necessary and barcodes printed.

Anyone ever think about doing something similar? I don't know how equipment is cataloged for PAX, but having us attendees do most of the typing ahead of time, may save time.

As I said earlier, nothing definitive yet, but we may be making changes to the registration process. Nothing has been set in stone, and as always, anything is subject to change. That being said, we are hoping to make some changes regarding efficiency.

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2014
    I am posting in the wrong thread right now.

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    jrdobbsjrdobbs Registered User regular

As I said earlier, nothing definitive yet, but we may be making changes to the registration process. Nothing has been set in stone, and as always, anything is subject to change. That being said, we are hoping to make some changes regarding efficiency.
    Are there any former LPANE attendees coming to BYOC this year? I remember those great NorEaster events they put on...excellent crew, knew how to organize and throw a great LANParty....miss those good'ol days. Hey, also glad to have PAX folks continuing to support this so don't take it the wrong way. :D

Get Slack

JR
  • Options
    jrdobbs wrote: »
    Are there any former LPANE attendees coming to BYOC this year? I remember those great NorEaster events they put on...excellent crew, knew how to organize and throw a great LANParty....miss those good'ol days. Hey, also glad to have PAX folks continuing to support this so don't take it the wrong way. :D

Me me me! :biggrin:
    Yeah that crew knew how to host a 400 person LAN. Even when they worked with Intel on the LANFests it was a blast.

• Options
    MrFett21MrFett21 Registered User regular
    I am just wondering if a certain game will be blocked for Pax or if that is even the case anymore, specifically Archeage since the other popular ones I play were listed in the FAQ.

• Options
    GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    blocked?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    MrFett21 wrote: »
    I am just wondering if a certain game will be blocked for Pax or if that is even the case anymore, specifically Archeage since the other popular ones I play were listed in the FAQ.
    I am assuming this is a BYOC question since I can't think of any other way this could possibly fit. Merged into the byoc thread.

• Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    I have never head of games being blocked in BYOC

JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    nosutnosut MA, USRegistered User regular
    Kilonum wrote: »
    I assume he is referring to.

"Q: What if I want to play DOTA 2 this year? Are you guys going to have LoL?
    A: Because we have a limited amount of bandwidth we are very careful to primarily include games that support local-only play. If a vendor chooses to sponsor bandwidth for their game we are able to include them on the image and plan for their allocation. Starting with PAX Prime 2013 we are now evaluating, on a case-by-case basis, exceptions to this rule."

From last years FAQ thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/184047/pax-east-2014-byoc-information-faq

I could be wrong however.

• Options
    MrFett21MrFett21 Registered User regular
    nosut wrote: »

A: Because we have a limited amount of bandwidth we are very careful to primarily include games that support local-only play. If a vendor chooses to sponsor bandwidth for their game we are able to include them on the image and plan for their allocation. Starting with PAX Prime 2013 we are now evaluating, on a case-by-case basis, exceptions to this rule."

From last years FAQ thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/184047/pax-east-2014-byoc-information-faq

Yes sorry for the confusion, I meant to say... Will non popular games be throttled at all at BYOC.

• Options
    akiboshiakiboshi Registered User regular
    Suggestion for this year: Not sure if it's been done in the past, but can we add a voluntary Steam ID sign-in sheet at the check-in area (where we pick up the swag and monitors), so that people can add other BYOCers to their friend's list? Once the list fills up, people can just take a photo of the sheet and add it on their own sweet time. Would make group play a lot easier. Thx

• Options
    cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    akiboshi wrote: »
    Suggestion for this year: Not sure if it's been done in the past, but can we add a voluntary Steam ID sign-in sheet at the check-in area (where we pick up the swag and monitors), so that people can add other BYOCers to their friend's list? Once the list fills up, people can just take a photo of the sheet and add it on their own sweet time. Would make group play a lot easier. Thx
    thats exactly what we need, another line of people crowding around something the size of a paper, especially by swag bag lines. If anything try to organize that on here.

• Options
    akiboshiakiboshi Registered User regular
    cardkid123 wrote: »
    thats exactly what we need, another line of people crowding around something the size of a paper, especially by swag bag lines. If anything try to organize that on here.

Well, perhaps it can be something created mid-afternoon on Friday after most are setup, or we can just use some of the BYOC table space. Not trying to complicate the checkin process any further. The reason for doing this on-site is because not all BYOCers visit the forums here beyond the BYOC FAQ, if at all. I think we would get a lot more usernames from people who happen to see it on their way in/out the BYOC area throughout the con.

• Options
    cardkid123cardkid123 Registered User regular
    If anything, put up papers around the byoc area with qr codes people can scan and then add their names to a Google doc or see other names.

• Options
    perfectbebopperfectbebop Registered User regular
    cardkid123 wrote: »

Well, perhaps it can be something created mid-afternoon on Friday after most are setup, or we can just use some of the BYOC table space. Not trying to complicate the checkin process any further. The reason for doing this on-site is because not all BYOCers visit the forums here beyond the BYOC FAQ, if at all. I think we would get a lot more usernames from people who happen to see it on their way in/out the BYOC area throughout the con.

why not grab a domain and point it at an editable google doc? share the url on the big screen at pax and people can opt in on site once their computers are set up

• Options
    nosut wrote: »

Huh.... I do not recall putting that in the FAQ, but apparently it got in there. I've actually removed that FAQ because it doesn't make sense. In my opinion, that's a Freeplay FAQ, not a BYOC.

Nothing will be "blocked" in BYOC, but general internal bandwidth will be throttled, which may make some games less ideal. But everything will be playable, and we'll do our best to ensure that your gaming experience is the best it can be. =)

Vapok
  • Options
    Good Evening BYOCer's!

Just a quick update! The wheels are in full swing for PAX East 2015 BYOC! We're looking forward to a pretty kicka$$ event, with some new surprises in store for you!

I just checked, and BYOC Badge registration is getting low! Almost sold out! Hurry and get your badges now before it's too late!

Vapok
  • Options
    thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    Just starting my mod for the year. Very simple and small compared to my other mods. Nothing to be looming over the byoc this year. Actually running out of room in the house for all these mods...

Heres the minecraft model of what I'm building (not the tiger, the ? block!): ELWaRgl.png

• Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned a SteamID sign in. There is a PAX East BYOC Steam Group...it's been around for a few years. I'm sure there are a few people in the 46 members who aren't attending this year, but for the most part it's only used during PAX and to keep in touch with PAX'ers the rest of the year. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PAXEastBYOC

• Options
    perfectbebopperfectbebop Registered User regular
    Any word/update on group seating? Want to make sure my group doesn't get cut in half by a wall again this year

• Options
    TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Does anybody know if vendors sell the actual components to build a rig/sell full assembled rigs at PAX? Weird question but I have a friend that has been looking at upgrading his rig and rather than lug his current computer to PAX wants to just buy or build one there in the BYOC area. I think I've seen Corsair selling some PSUs before but I don't usually spend much time around the vendor booths.

Trandescent on
    8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • Options
    shepdshepd Registered User regular
    There's giveaways of various bits of computer hardware, but you'd have to insanely lucky to win enough to build an entire PC. And there's giveaways of entire PCs too, but once again, it requires a lot of luck. Other than that, there's really not much PC hardware being sold. Not enough to build a PC, anyways. Oddly enough, if you wanted to play classic console games, you'd probably find enough on the expo floor to do that from scratch.

Boston is a big city, though, so if you arrived early or were willing to take time out from PAX, I am certain you'd be able to build a rig. Even better if you're driving from the right place, you could stop in New Hampshire and avoid sales tax.

• Options
    A.SabotA.Sabot Boston, MaRegistered User regular
    Does anybody know if vendors sell the actual components to build a rig/sell full assembled rigs at PAX? Weird question but I have a friend that has been looking at upgrading his rig and rather than lug his current computer to PAX wants to just buy or build one there in the BYOC area. I think I've seen Corsair selling some PSUs before but I don't usually spend much time around the vendor booths.

There is a microcenter close by so you could always buy parts there.

Pax East 2016: BYOC [x], 3 Day Passes [x], car[x], license[x], new computer[x]