As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Im making my own D20 setting

Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Critical Failures
I am working on a D20 setting. The game is set in a future post apocalyptic world where someones science experiment went wrong and merged the futuristic world with one of magic and monsters. The characters are superheroes (or villains). I am working on a list of superpowers, each power has 9 ranks in it. You can take numerous powers as you level up. I have pretty much everything ready to be put down on paper but I find the hardest part is making up superpowers. So I ask you all to pitch me ideas of superpowers you think should be in the game.

Here is the excel sheet of the powers I have come up with so far.

http://techtools.110mb.com/Super%20Heroes%20D20%20Feats.xls

Steam ID - Fort1tude
Fort1tude on

• Options
    edited October 2007
    Is no one posting because its too cliche? Not a good idea? Or no one really has any good ideas?

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, I had considered posting to say "Have you taken a look at Mutants and Masterminds?" but I didn't want to turn this into an M&M thread.

The biggest problem I foresee is that if you use specific power options (even from a huge list), it will be difficult for players to create the heroes or villains as they envision them.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thats why I am getting potential super powers from all the people who are interested in this game. So if they want to play something I can add it into the game. I am pretty flexible when it comes to character design, if they want to create a character that shoots his beams out of his ass thats fine (actual request). I am going to include a system of Faults, such as weakness to cold, fear of water, having flaps of skin that extend out from your head like in Jurassic Park when your character is angry (actual request), etc. Each Fault you take allows you to take another Power or rank in a Power.

And no, I haven't even heard of Mutants and Masterminds. Any online resources?

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Well, if you felt like being lazy, you could take a page out of Donjon's book.

Basically, the player decides what their characters do.

Example of Donjon: Swashbuckler
    Flamboyant Combat Moves 4
    Attack with Rapier 4
    Swing from Scenery 3
    Disarm People with Rapier 3
    Woo 2

Example of Adaptation: Superman like-character
    Super Strength 4
    Flight 4
    Super Speed 3
    Super Toughness 3
    Laser Eye Beams 2

Flaws:
    Weakness to Kryptonite
    Weakness to Red Suns

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Fort1tude wrote: »
    Thats why I am getting potential super powers from all the people who are interested in this game. So if they want to play something I can add it into the game. I am pretty flexible when it comes to character design, if they want to create a character that shoots his beams out of his ass thats fine (actual request). I am going to include a system of Faults, such as weakness to cold, fear of water, having flaps of skin that extend out from your head like in Jurassic Park when your character is angry (actual request), etc. Each Fault you take allows you to take another Power or rank in a Power.

And no, I haven't even heard of Mutants and Masterminds. Any online resources?

Mutants and Masterminds is based on the d20 System, although it handles most things in very different manners. Character creations is done entirely with point buy, and rather than 'levelling up', your GM would just give more points to spend (although various point totals do correspond roughly with levels, with every 15 points being about 1 level -- so that when you go from 150 to 165 points, you can increase your base attack bonus, for example. There are limits in place based on this number.)

There are a huge number of powers, and each is extremely modifiable, some in straight ways (Fire Control (that being the ability to control natural fire) and Ice Control (the ability to control natural ice) would be the same point total, for example) and some by modifying the cost (Elemental Control would cost more than Fire or Ice Control, 'Green Fire From The Depths Of Hell' Control would cost less because honestly, where are you ever going to find Green Fire From the Depths of Hell?)

It works out pretty well, but it's still got a ton of room for hax.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Don't forget Gamma World! You could easily throw that in to represent some of the "genetic experiments gone wrong".

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23