As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Three Card Blind: Magic The Gathering! Rise of Rise of the Eldrazi

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    I've got all the match ups done, but I'm getting a friend to doublecheck them.

Preview: the thread title isn't changing.

But I didn't play FoW this time! Boooo.

Everyone else played triple FoW to compensate

• ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    Suicide Blue running Pact of Negotiation.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i think i beat most FoW decks. i could be wrong.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I played a non-force counter, and I apologize.

• PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    If counters are going to dominate the meta...I have a couple no-spell ideas lined up.

Papillon on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I didn't put in a FoW deck, but I hope my deck would at least draw to one.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    All right! I've worked over each match up, and here's the results!
    Forum Name      1st Card                 2nd Card                 	3rd Card               		Deck Name
    Jam Warrior	Unmask			Sickening Shoal			Chancellor of the Forge		Black Splat
    Lucedes		Fountain of Cho		Chancellor of the Annex		Kor Sanctifiers			Fountains of Wayne
    Peccavi		Dryad Arbor		Chancellor of the Annex		Dismember			Bigger Jerk
    Papillon	Laboratory Maniac	Black Lotus			Chancellor of the Annex		Flash
    Zerocow 	Court Homunculus 	Ancient Den			Path to Exile 			3 Card Affinity 
    Feral		Dryad Arbor		Simian Spirit Guide		Artifact Blast			Lotus Eater
    Dis'		Icatian Store		Chancellor of the Annex		Chancellor of the Annex		Lets see you force now!
    Scis		Chancellor of the Annex	Chancellor of the Forge		Chancellor of the Forge		Counter This
    38thDoE		Black Lotus		Urza's Power Plant		Noetic Scales			I have dumb cards

Matchups:
    Jam Warrior
    Loses to every Chancellor of the Annex deck, since they either packed removal or a bigger creature than a 1/1.
    Beats Feral, as Jam warrior isn't packing a lotus
    Zerocow and Jam both remove each other's creatures, tying.
    Beats 38thDoe, as Jamwarrior just doesn't play any cards.

Score: 14 points

Lucedes
    Beats out all the other Chancellor decks (except Dis') by virtue of having a mana source that can overcome the Chancellor's counterspell.
    Jam Warrior's removal/discard gets countered, and the 1/1 gets eaten by the giant 5/6 flyer of doom.
    Zerocow either has the removal countered, in which case the 5/6 eats his face, or has his creature countered, in which case the 2/3 eats his face much slower.
    Feral also gets crushed beneith the massive 5/6 flyer.
    Lucedes loses to Dis', as the only thing that is better than 1 5/6 flyer is two 5/6 flyers.
    38th's lotus gets countered, which leaves the Noetic Scales stuck in hand.

Score: 42 points

Peccavi
    Loses to the aforementioned massive flyers from of Lucedes and Dis'
    Papillion's Maniac goes off either way.
    Zerocow has the court homonculous countered, but Peccavi path to exiles the Dryad Arbor
    Peccavi beats out Feral's anti lotus deck
    Peccavi's dismember takes care of an extra 1/1, leaving both players with a 1/1 and no plays.
    Counterspells 38thDoe's lotus, leaving the other two cards stuck in hand.

Score: 24 points

Papillon
    Papillon wins going first against , but ties on the draw, as ZeroCow plays the Court Homunculus, has it countered, then path to exiles the Maniac
    Papillon beats out Feral's anti lotus deck.
    Loses to the other Chanclor of the Annex decks
    Counterspells 38thDoe's lotus, leaving the other two cards stuck in hand.
    Score: 28 points

Zerocow
    Ties with most chancellor match ups, as the Homunculus gets countered, but then Zerocow kills their creature.
    Loses to Papillion when Papillion goes first, otherwise ties.
    Ties with 38thDoe

Score: 9 points

Feral
    Loses to all chancellor matchups, as they aren't playing lotus.
    Counters 38thDoe's lotus, wining the game.
    Ties with Zerocow, as they both destroy the other's creature.
    Score: 8 points

Dis'
    Scis scrapes by a win if Dis' is on the draw, but Dis' crushes every other contender underneath the weight of counterspells and flying fatties.
    Score: 45points

Scis
    Loses to the massive flyers of Lucedes.
    Just manages to edge out a win against Dis' if Scis goes first, but Dis' scrapes by if Scis is on the draw.
    Wins all other matchups
    Score: 39 points

38thDoE
    Loses to all Chancellor decks, as they counterspell the lotus or don't actually play a card to get a 1/1 into play, preventing 38th from doing anything else. Sole exception: ties Papillion when going first.
    Ties with Zerocow's Court Homonculous deck.
    Score: 3 points

Final Tally
    Dis' - 45
    Lucedes - 42
    Scis - 39
    Papillon - 26
    Peccavi - 22
    Jam Warrior - 14
    Zerocow - 9
    Feral - 8
    38thDoE - 3

Capfalcon on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Again, let me know if I missed anything.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    You assholes should have been playing more Lotuses.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Seriously, though, Icatian Store was brilliant.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• ScisScis Registered User regular
    I think I should have a win vs Peccavi (Dismember doesn't resolve so my goblins outnumber his Arbor) and a draw vs Dis' (I kill him before he can make a play when I go first, he lives with 1 life when he goes first). Interesting decks though, definitely never even thought of storage lands.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Dangit, I was supposed to be the only person using Chancellor of the Annex.

You are correct on both counts, @Scis‌. I forgot that the goblins have haste.

Peccavi wrote: »
    Dangit, I was supposed to be the only person using Chancellor of the Annex.

It was such a good idea I thought of it twice :)

Easy to metagame though - any non-chancellor of the annex storage lands based strategy will beat it if their threat is cheap enough.

How the mighty have fallen. As predicted, not a single Force!

I can fix this. I think...

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I have no idea what I'm doing. You can counterspell artifacts now?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Anything you put on the stack is a spell. The only card that I can think of that doesn't go on the stack is a land.

edited November 2014
    Papillon beats out Feral's anti lotus deck on the play, but ties on the draw, as he has enough mana to overcome the counter
    I'm pretty sure I also win on the draw since I can get the Lotus down while Dryad Arbor has summoning sickness.

Edit:
    Dis' wrote: »
    Easy to metagame though - any non-chancellor of the annex storage lands based strategy will beat it if their threat is cheap enough.

Ish. Chancellor, Sarpezzean Cove, Lab Maniac is cheap enough the Lab Maniac needs to be answered.

And I almost switched from Lotus to Sarpezzean Cove. Sigh.

Second Edit:
    Loses to all Chancellor decks, as they counterspell the lotus or don't actualy play a card to get a 1/1 into play, preventing 38th from doing anything else.
    Ties with Zerocow's Court Homonculous deck.
    Score: 2 points

Against single Chancellor of the Annex decks, it's Urza's Power Plant -> Black Lotus paying 1 with the power plant, followed by Nonetic Scales next turn. I think this means a draw against me when they're on the play, but still a loss against Lucedes due to kicked Kor Sanctifiers, and Peccavi due to 1/1 beat down with 2 cards in hand.

Papillon on
    Okay, in with the pictures again:

Dis' - 45 points
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=4184&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=218083&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=218083&type=card

Lucedes - 42 points
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=19893&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=218083&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=389574&type=card

Scis - 39 points
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=218083&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=218021&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=218021&type=card

Papillon - 26 points
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=382866&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=230788&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=218083&type=card

Peccavi - 22 points
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=282542&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=382182&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=218083&type=card

Jam Warrior - 14 points
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=19829&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=74127&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=218021&type=card

Zerocow - 9 points
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=370495&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=205275&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=382192&type=card

Feral - 9 points
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=282542&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=124474&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=221551&type=card

38thDoE - 2 points
    Image.ashx?multiverseid=382866&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=220952&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=8809&type=card

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited November 2014
    Isn't 38thDoE's deck disqualified for lack of a win condition?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Aw, its bad enough I lost, you have to disqualify me too? :( Also I was thinking of the Urza's PowerPlant with the hornet on it. It matters.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Harsh I know, but it means @Zerocow beat @Feral

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Woo! Also I might have a worse deck for next round.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
    edited November 2014

I think Zerocow already beats Feral (see my comment above).

Edit: And (by my reconning) I have 20 points: I lose to every Chancellor of the Annex deck, and draw on the draw against both Zerocow & 38thDOE.

Second Edit:
    Scis wrote: »
    ...and a draw vs Dis' (I kill him before he can make a play when I go first, he lives with 1 life when he goes first).

Don't you lose to Dis' then when the second Chancellor comes down? One can stay back on defense while the other attacks.

Papillon on
    Jesus, guys. Keep rubbing it in.

edited November 2014
    so uh

can we ban chancellor of the annex? seeing as basically everyone played it?

edit: okay, 5/9 isn't everyone, but it was definitely the secret meta-card this round.

Lucedes on
    It seems pretty powerful in the format but it can be worked around and I'd give it more than one round of domination before banning. See how it fares after it loses the 'surprise!' effect.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Papillon wrote: »

I think Zerocow already beats Feral (see my comment above).

Edit: And (by my reconning) I have 20 points: I lose to every Chancellor of the Annex deck, and draw on the draw against both Zerocow & 38thDOE.

Second Edit:
    Scis wrote: »
    ...and a draw vs Dis' (I kill him before he can make a play when I go first, he lives with 1 life when he goes first).

Don't you lose to Dis' then when the second Chancellor comes down? One can stay back on defense while the other attacks.

I think what Scis means is he wins on the play, loses on the draw.

Scis Plays:
    Pre-Game Gets 2 Gobs
    Scis 1: Attacks, Dis' to 18
    Dis' 1: Plays Icatian Store
    S 2: Attacks, Dis' to 16
    Dis' 2: Icatian Store to 1 counter
    S 3: Attacks, Dis' to 14
    Dis' 3: Icatian Store to 2 counters
    S 4: Attacks, Dis' to 12
    Dis' 4: Icatian Store to 3 counters
    S 5: Attacks, Dis' to 10
    Dis' 5: Icatian Store to 4 counters
    S 6: Attacks, Dis' to 8
    Dis' 6: Icatian Store to 5 counters
    S 7: Attacks, Dis' to 6
    Dis' 7: Icatian Store to 6 counters
    S 8: Attacks, Dis' to 4
    Dis' 8: Icatian Store to 7 counters
    S 9: Attacks, Dis' to 2
    Dis' 9: Icatian Store to 8 counters (because of Scis's Chancellor my first one costs 8 mana)
    S 10; Attacks, wins

Scis Draws:
    Pre-Game Gets 2 Gobs
    Dis' 1: Plays Icatian Store
    S 1: Attacks, Dis' to 18
    Dis' 2: Icatian Store to 1 counter
    S 2: Attacks, Dis' to 16
    Dis' 3: Icatian Store to 2 counters
    S 3: Attacks, Dis' to 14
    Dis' 4: Icatian Store to 3 counters
    S 4: Attacks, Dis' to 12
    Dis' 5: Icatian Store to 4 counters
    S 5: Attacks, Dis' to 10
    Dis' 6: Icatian Store to 5 counters
    S 6: Attacks, Dis' to 8
    Dis' 7: Icatian Store to 6 counters
    S 7: Attacks, Dis' to 6
    Dis' 8: Icatian Store to 7 counters
    S 8: Attacks, Dis' to 4
    Dis' 9: Icatian Store to 8 counters (because of Scis's Chancellor my first one costs 8 mana)
    S 9; Attacks, Dis' to 2
    Dis' 10: Play first chancellor
    S 9: Can attack but one goblin is blocked, Dis' to 1. Now its a stalemate till the second chancellor is played

I assume Dis's two chancellors don't stack to make his opponent pay an extra 2 on their first spell, right?

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I assume Dis's two chancellors don't stack to make his opponent pay an extra 2 on their first spell, right?

They in fact do, hence why it's a punishing strategy.

Harsh.

I'm browsing Gatherer and scribbling potential cards down on a scrap of paper. I just came to one I wrote down in big capital letters with an evil grin on my face.

Massive thanks for running this @Capfalcon , it's great fun.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Apologies. Warlords of Draenor ate most of my free time recently.
    Isn't 38thDoE's deck disqualified for lack of a win condition?

Technically, no. In the Rules section, there's no mention of requiring a win condition. It's just listed in the description of the game. Also, the fact that winning a round gives more points than tying both times makes me feel that there's no reason to disqualify it.
    Lucedes wrote: »
    so uh

can we ban chancellor of the annex? seeing as basically everyone played it?

edit: okay, 5/9 isn't everyone, but it was definitely the secret meta-card this round.

Since the general verdict was not to ban the winning cards, I'm willing to wait another round to see if Chancellor decks crush face again.

It's late, so I'll look at the changes to the match results tomorrow after my interview. Wish me luck!

In the meantime, the entries for round three are open!

edited November 2014
    Making something that works against both black lotus strategies and Chancellor.deck is hard :sad:

Edit: Also didn't I win round 2?

Dis' on
    Good Luck on the interview @Capfalcon

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Dis' wrote: »
    Making something that works against both black lotus strategies and Chancellor.deck is hard :sad:

As far as I can tell, the options are: try to make the best Chancellor deck, or make a deck to beat either Lotus or Chancellor and hope the meta goes your way.

i submitted a fun, non-competitive deck.

i wanted to abuse the graveyard in 3-card blind, and i have done it.

• ScisScis Registered User regular
    Trying something new this time. Don't think I'll win but should do well still.

I tried a thing. The thing will probably work very well some of the time and not work at all the rest of the time.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I posted a list under the last round. Should I resubmit it on the form?

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro