As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect - 9.75 from Game Informer

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I gave in and bought an Xbox specifically for Bioshock and this game. So far it was worth it for bioshock alone. I think my pants are going to be blown off by Mass Effect.

Who needs pants? O_o

This... I... but... good point.

Prospicience on
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    There's a limited editionguide coming out.. a 192 page art book sounds nice, I guess, and I assume that's why there's been no LE game announcement?
    I'm wondering this too. Surely some PA forum goer knows of the situation regarding special editions since I know you guys love them so much (I do too).

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    If they ARE doing a special edition, they need to hurry up and announce it so places let you preorder.

DarkPrimus on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    75456841dl2.jpg

:)

Amazon does this sometimes; if you turn on their "e-mail me when product is available" option. I got a mail saying this was available for pre-order, so I did, and it was taken down the next day. I got it at standard €40 too, so I'll save money if the final limited edition ends up costing more. I got Halo 3 limited edition at standard price this way.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I bet we're all making a female for some lesbian alien sexxings.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Making Jack Bauer, Zapp Brannigan, Darth Revan and myself.

devoir on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This might be the third game ever I buy the strategy guide for. Just for the pretty pictures.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This might be the third game ever I buy the strategy guide for. Just for the pretty pictures.

I don't know if you'll need one. Think I like about Bioware games is even though they're big you can pretty much accomplish all the side quests if you just pay attention to everything that's going on...or in my case just talk to everyone...>_> <_<

P.S. It would really be cool if Bioware could have some Revan type armor in the game...but since Lucasarts owns the license I doubt it.

Dragkonias on
    edited October 2007
    I would by the "Limited" strategy guide if it comes with an art book.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The gods shine upon you, Fatty McBeardo, apparent details of the Collector's Edition:
    Microsoft today announced details of the Mass Effect Collectors Edition set. The upcoming interstellar RPG, developed by the famed BioWare, is shaping up to be a leading title for the approaching holiday season.

The premium Collectors Edition will feature all the usual trappings of such a set.

Limited Collector's Edition content:

* Fiction Book: Galactic Codex: Essentials
    * Mass Effect Art Book: A Future Imagined
    * 2nd DVD with exclusive videos about Mass Effect (Art of Mass Effect, Interactive Storytelling of Mass Effect)

Mass Effect is due in stores on November 23 with the Collectors Edition expected to retail at the usual £49.99 mark.
    http://totally360.com/gameinfo.php?gameid=55&details=news&newsid=2027

I'm going to pre-order tonight.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow. I'm actually tempted to get that version now.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So if those two books are fatass, I'll consider it. The "art book" that was bundled with the Lost Planet LE was anemic. Had a nice case though.

After the glory was that the making-of for the Lord of the Rings, other making-of features are pretty pathetic and I don't care to pay extra for them.

Renzo on
    edited October 2007
    DEW AUNT. I'm glad they're doing an SE, the game practically begs for it.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • switzky21switzky21 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    I have a proposition for somebody on this thread. An experiment, if you will.

Do an LP of your first playthrough.

As soon as you get the game, start an LP. Go through the game and let us follow every step of the way, but without knowing what you're doing.

I may alter the rules to allow a strategy guide.

But that's my challenge to somebody. I'd do it myself, but I don't have a capture card.

switzky21 on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That is a horrible idea. First of all the crying of spoilers would be apocalyptic no matter what. Also its a brand new game and not some old classic that nobody feels like playing but reminiscing about. Also you create/propose to many threads that are horrible rip offs of others doings.

That SE sounds like typical trash SE that are common nowadays. It needs a soundtrack, a poster, and a 6in figure of some alien or something.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That is a horrible idea. First of all the crying of spoilers would be apocalyptic no matter what. Also its a brand new game and not some old classic that nobody feels like playing but reminiscing about. Also you create/propose to many threads that are horrible rip offs of others doings.

That SE sounds like typical trash SE that are common nowadays. It needs a soundtrack, a poster, and a 6in figure of some alien or something.

Let's Play, the new Late To The Party?

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »

LTTP, I think, is more of just talking about a game you missed out on but recently discovered. Let's Play is more about someone documenting their play-through with screenshots (or video) and commentary.

Clevinger on
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Clevinger wrote: »

LTTP, I think, is more of just talking about a game you missed out on but recently discovered. Let's Play is more about someone documenting their play-through with screenshots (or video) and commentary.

Face, meet palm.

Iriah on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Iriah wrote: »

Crotch, meet palm.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sorry, I only bothered to read that one post. I have no idea what's going on.

Clevinger on
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sorry, I only bothered to read that one post. I have no idea what's going on.

Don't worry about it, I was just mentioning that we have another series of bandwagon threads on our hands.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007

I had a conversation with some people I know over at Bioware.

The gist of it being that the alien in question is a hermaphroditic race. They can shape themselves into the appearance (and the genetalia) of their choosing.

So its not really lesbian. It's .... just plain wierd.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

The gist of it being that the alien in question is a hermaphroditic race. They can shape themselves into the appearance (and the genetalia) of their choosing.

So its not really lesbian. It's .... just plain hot.
    :winky:

-SPI- on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Man I'd so much rather have books than figures, coins, or whatever other random shit they come up with. This is a collector's edition I really might buy, all three things sound coo.

captaink on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    captaink wrote: »

Man I'd so much rather have books than figures, coins, or whatever other random shit they come up with. This is a collector's edition I really might buy, all three things sound coo.

I like my collector's editions with extra in-game content. If it's a multiplayer game, something to show off and make all the normal edition losers be jealous!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

I like my collector's editions with extra in-game content. If it's a multiplayer game, something to show off and make all the normal edition losers be jealous!

I think those kinds of special editions are lame; I paid for the game, give me all the stuff that belongs in the game. Other people can have fancy art books and figurines if they want, don't shaft people out of gameplay changes (no matter how minor or even if merely cosmetic), because of price differences with the discs.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

So its not really lesbian. It's .... just plain wierd.

"whoah whoah WHOAH, what're you doing?! Don't just assume what i want to find down there. DAMMMIT you've ruined the whole moment"

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Latest Mass Effect video:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26049.html?type=flv

Highlights include Marina Sirtis as the ultra-busty evil alien babe, a douchebag ambassador, and a guy that you can punch in the face in the middle of a conversation.

Also, went back to some of the other videos. Jennifer Hale as the female Shepard = Woohoo!

Taramoor on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited October 2007
    i knew i recognised that voice

bongi on
  • kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dr. Chakwas' voice sounds familiar too. Maybe the person who did Bastila's mother in KOTOR?

kitch on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    They're all very familiar voices. I'm not sure whether that's an indication of them hiring good actors/actresses, or that I watch too many movies/TV shows.

devoir on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Huh... I hadn't thought about a SE for this game. I normally avoid that shit like the plague this gen because of the bulky-ass cases, but I want this game so much, I might get it anyway.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wait, LttP means Late to The Party... I thought it meant Link to the Past?

Regicid3 on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »

[LttP] LttP!

DarkPrimus on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »

It means both. They're pretty interchangeable anyway.

bruin on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mass Effect first ratings rolling in, just from GI so far, but 9.75 is a damn good sign. :)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Right but gameinformer is a bunch of tools anyway!

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    9.75....... Are they sure about that? I mean, dude can go into more minute figures if he wishes. 9.752863

Big Classy on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Mass Effect first ratings rolling in, just from GI so far, but 9.75 is a damn good sign. :)

It hasn't even gone gold yet, how can they be reviewing it already?

I mean, I know it's going to get nines and tens pretty much across the board just because there's so much to do, but really.

Taramoor on
  • davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Big Isy wrote: »
    9.75....... Are they sure about that? I mean, dude can go into more minute figures if he wishes. 9.752863

It's almost as if using numbers to review a piece of media is perhaps an ill fitting system! Huzzah!

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
This discussion has been closed.